Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

593 Riverside Drive - 1. Chapter 1

My father, when he was young, traveling out west with the circus, and still courting my mother here in New York, used to sign his postcards, “Yours, full of fun.” But just now, Papa was not being full of fun.

There were a couple of reasons, though one he should have been happy about was that I’d just graduated from Barnard. I did it in only three years, too, though admittedly not with the highest grades, just a low cum laude. I might have done better, he pointed out, if I’d taken the normal four.

“You always want to hurry things,” my mother had softly agreed when I’d told my parents of my plans for second semester of my freshman year.

“Well, I took the five courses my advisor recommended,” I’d said. “And some of them were interesting and others just required. And we went over a lot of what I’d studied in high school. And junior high. And even elementary school. And I still have a lot of required courses – they’re part of Liberal Arts. But I think they’ll be more interesting if I’m also studying things I’m curious about – new ideas.”

It seemed like a good argument, and my father usually liked those, but my mother just looked at me. Still, my aunt – Mama’s younger sister – smiled and said, “Lee, by now, you’ve learned not to reason with Ethel. You always lose.” And my father, who normally encouraged people to think for themselves, just sat silently, toying with his mashed potatoes. We were in the dining room, and Emily had just served lunch.

My father started to encourage me to “Get ahead of the next guy,” – or in my case, the “next girl,” which was different for him – when I was in second grade. At least, that’s the earliest I can remember it with an example. We were again in the dining room, though I think for dinner, and I don’t think Aunt Ella was there. I was poking my way through my food, eating things I didn’t like first and saving the good ones for last, when suddenly, my father swooped in and took the thing he knew I liked most – my last slice of Emily’s fried potatoes. He calmly stabbed it with his fork, popped it in his mouth, chewed a couple of times, swallowed, then smiled.

“Papa!” I protested.

“Arthur,” my mother joined in. “You know not to do that.” That’s what gives me the idea he’d done it before.

“It’s not fair,” I added.

My father just smiled again and said, “You can’t put the best things off for last. They may not be there when you want them.”

I had to admit he was right. Because in the summer, in Asbury Park, ice cream melted so quickly, you had to lick it fast or all you’d have was the cone.

“But I really like my potatoes last,” I’d told to Papa. “They’re my reward for eating Brussels sprouts. And cauliflower. And broccoli.” I didn’t really hate any of those things, but they weren’t my favorites, either – no matter who told me, and how many times, that they were good for me. Still, I could never persuade Emily not to buy them.

“They’re healthy,” she simply insisted.

“Then I’ll eat them when I grow up. I’m sure they can wait.”

Emily laughed at that, but she agreed with Papa when he said, “Eat your oatmeal, and you’ll grow up to reach the moon.” Though he didn’t seems as happy when I reached 5'-8" and, even in low heels, was as tall as he was.

But that’s not what we were talking about that evening – discussing calmly, since no one ever raised their voices in our well-mannered home. We were talking about law school.

Copyright © 2023 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Not really.  American women had been lawyers by the mid-1800s, mostly training by apprenticeship, and the first American woman to graduate from a law school was in 1870. 

Passing the bar exam is trickier because it was first given by each state, and even when the exam became national, there are conflicting dates because while it existed by 1884-85, it wasn't required until the early 1920s.  and prestigious American law schools lagged  behind about accepting women.  But the first woman to pass a state's bar exam -- Iowa's -- was in 1869.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..