Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

593 Riverside Drive - 18. Chapter 18

“What an afternoon,” Essie offered, as we started to eat our desserts.

“And it wasn’t over,” my mother reminded Herbert’s wife.

“No,” Ella added. “I wish it had been.”

“Benno Lewinson certainly wasn’t as precise as Max Steuer,” I pointed out.

“If he played baseball,” my father commented, “he’d be accused of ‘hitting all over the field.’”

Ella smiled. “Still, the first hour-or-so was the easiest part of his questioning – because his thoughts seemed so disorganized and repetitive that they weren’t hard to follow. And when they got more specific, I had my appointment books to help.”

“When did he tell you to bring those?” Essie asked.

“Actually, Max suggested it. He knew he’d have to ask how many times Joe had attempted intercourse, and I certainly didn’t write them down. But I knew if I saw the names of the places where we stayed, it would be easier.”

“But Steuer hasn’t mentioned them yet,” Herbert objected.

“He hasn’t gone into those specifics.”

“No, and he’s not sure he’ll need to,” Ella replied. “He told me that much. But he also wanted to be ready if Benno asked first, and he had to cross-examine.”

“Did you go over them with Steuer?” my father asked.

“In his office, yes. It was a little embarrassing at first, but he said I needed to get used to it. Like the trial, it’s something that needs to be done.”

“That sounds like a Boy Scout,” Herbert joked. “‘Be prepared.’ Though a little more lusty.”

“Herbert,” my father lightly reprimanded. But I laughed.

“And as I went over the dates with Max,” Ella went on, “I noted the important ones in my books. The early ones were easy since it was only three weeks – and they were nights I was looking forward to.”

My father couldn’t very well groan “Herbert,” to that, so he simply nodded.

“Once Joe and I were home – especially once we came back to the city – the dates were harder to recall – except when we were again away on trips.”

“Are the days really going to be important?” my mother asked.

“Max said the dates weren’t as important as their frequency. And one proves the other.”

“Can you really remember them?” Essie asked. “I couldn’t.”

“That’s because there are so many, my love, all happily blended together.” And Herbert kissed his wife. There was a kind of silence until they parted.

“What?” Herbert asked, when he found everyone looking at them. “Do we now have to ask permission?”

“You might at least have waited till we were out of the dining room,” my father jibed. “Unless just seeing the sofa would be too provoking.”

Sometimes my father could embarrass Herbert as well. After all, they were brothers.

“I hope tomorrow will be easier than the rest of this afternoon was,” my mother went on. “Especially with Benno still cross-examining.”

“I asked Max what he thought might be asked,” Ella continued. “But he had no idea.”

“It’s that hit-or-miss approach,” my father repeated. “Though he must be heading somewhere.”

“Do you think so?” Ella asked. “That his randomness is part of a plan?”

“Actually, I think he’s just inept with women,” Papa assured her.

“And children,” Essie added. “He keeps referring to Laurie as ‘the boy.’”

“And to ‘Mr. Spingarn’ or ‘Your husband’” Mama said. “Which he somehow makes sound possessive.”

“That's just the formality lawyers use in court,” I defended.

“True,” Herbert admitted. “Though some of the lawyers I've been with talk that way all the time. They’re as careless as doctors.”

“And I’ve been with too many of those lately,” Ella agreed. “More than I ever wanted to meet.”

“This will be over next week,” my mother reminded her. “Let’s hope tomorrow is easier.”

“As long as Lewinson doesn’t go back to the douche bag,” Herbert warned. “This afternoon, he turned that into a whole damned oratorio.”

“Herbert!” we all sang out.

Copyright © 2023 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Midst the seriousness of it all, I am glad Herbert interjected some humor.  They needed it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..