Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

593 Riverside Drive - 26. Chapter 26

“That deflated some of Lewinson’s bluster,” Pic began.

“And he weakened his case,” my father added, “when he went after Ella’s family.”

“It certainly didn’t help,” I agreed.

“Also, it’s foolish to think that you married Joe for his money,” Florrie told Ella, “and now are reluctant to leave him. Especially since you started the proceedings.”

“And you’re not asking for a settlement,” my mother contributed. “You just want to end you marriage.”

“Oddly, there’s been no mention of the jewelry and bonds Joe gave you,” Herbert pointed out. “The bonds are especially valuable, since jewelry loses so much of its worth soon after it’s bought.”

“If either of them are really mine,” Ella reminded us. “Sometimes, they’re in our safe deposit box, and other times, Joe uses them for loans. He does the same thing with the bonds he holds for Laurie and Laurette.”

“I’d rather have the jewelry,” my mother said, “not that I wear much of it. But you know I don’t trust bonds.”

Ella agreed. “If they actually become mine, I’ll sell them and keep the money in the bank.”

“Bonds are no different than the stock market,” Herbert assured them both, “if you invest carefully. I keep telling you that.”

“Possibly,” Ella allowed. “But our parents didn’t trust the stock market, so we don’t.”

“Arthur’s the same way,” my mother told Herbert, “and you know it.”

Herbert laughed. “No – Arthur took his chances going west with the circus. And if that wasn’t crazy...”

“And what were you doing?” my father prodded. “As soon as you escaped school, you were sweeping up ticker tape.”

“But I got promoted,” Herbert argued back, “and was doing fine. The only reason either of us ended up selling men’s clothes is Father expected it.”

“And I wanted to get married,” Papa admitted, smiling at Mama.

“While Herbert didn’t,” Essie joked, grinning at her husband.

“Fortunately,” Herbert jabbed, grinning right back,” you had sales experience.”

“I had to find you first. We hadn’t even met when Lee and Arthur married.”

Herbert turned to Lewis. “Never go to family weddings. You meet the most ambitious people.”

“You have to credit Essie for carrying on the family name,” Papa commended. Then he smiled at me. “I haven’t helped.”

“How is Herbert, junior?” Ella questioned.

Essie started to reply, but my uncle interrupted. “He’s darling. And as soon as he quits drooling on my suits, I’ll take more interest.”

“As if you have a shortage of fine clothes,” Pic jested. “Someday, I’ll dress as well as you do.”

“It’s advertising,” my father dismissed. “We’re have to look good.”

“We certainly are all happier tonight,” Howard noticed. “We should toast Benno Lewinson for being so inept.”

Pic raised his water glass.

“Perhaps something stronger,” my father suggested. “And a cigar.”

“You can have mine,” Howard retreated.

“Would you prefer Lee’s sherry?” my father teased.

“Beer,” Howard championed, “when you stoop to stocking it.”

“We need to educate this boy,” Herbert insisted.

“It’s true. I’ve never spent any time around alcohol,” Howard offered lightly.

“How is your father?” Pic asked.

“Gee. Does Dad know anything about liquor?” Howard nearly sucked his thumb in innocence.

“Now you look like baby Herbert,” my uncle insisted. “Just don’t grab my pocket chain.”

“And stay away from his elk’s tooth,” Papa admonished. “He’s far too proud of that.”

“More business,” Herbert dismissed,

“I’ll say ‘hello’ to Dad for you,” Howard quietly told Pic, and Pic smiled across the dining table. Then Lewis returned us to the trial.

“Do you think Lewinson will stop now?’ he asked. “Judge Crain has reprimanded him several times, and Steuer just undercut some of his other work. Where else can Lewinson go?”

“It may be a matter of what he’s trying to accomplish,” Pic responded. “The questions he asked Ella – the intimate ones – mainly seemed chosen to embarrass. But I think he has larger aims – something he feels is more important.”

“Money?” I wondered.

“That’s what I was about to say,” Howard told us. “Is he trying to protect what Joe owns?”

“Max hasn’t mentioned that,” Ella pointed out.

“He will,” Pic asserted.

“Why not just humiliate Joe?” Florrie questioned. “The way Benno assaulted Ella?”

“Because there’s nothing to be gained,” Lewis told his mother. “The judge already knows too much about Ella and Joe’s personal lives. He confirmed that this morning.”

“And I agreed,” Ella repeated.

“It will be interesting to see what happens next,” I noted.

“At least, I won’t be a witness,” Ella said. “That’s a relief.”

“And you’ve done wonderfully,” my mother complimented again. “No one denies that.”

“Dr. Gildersleeve said the transcripts should be mandatory reading.”

“Is there anything Steuer will need from the doctors?” Lewis questioned his father. “This afternoon, Dr. Casamajor was polite but neutral.”

“Steuer will want credibility,” Pic advised. “Lawyers always depend on that from doctors.”

“But nothing more particular?”

“That depends on how desperate Steuer feels,” Pic went on. “Just now, he seems fairly confident. But that can change.” And he smiled.







 

Copyright © 2023 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I still love the dynamics of this family. One can feel the closeness, love and respect. Well portrayed in your writing. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..