Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

593 Riverside Drive - 30. Chapter 30

Dr. Gildersleeve began with an observation: “Those last two doctors seemed to be especially forceful, each in his own way.”

“And their personal opinions were a surprise,” Herbert added.

“It’s true,” Pic admitted. “The earlier pair was more circumspect. The last ones need to learn their courtroom etiquette.”

“And Steuer and Lewinson couldn’t get away from them fast enough,” I noted.

“We’ve seen that happen before,” Lewis reminded me. “Witnesses we thought were sympathetic who turned out not to be.”

“Especially when their lawyers are unprepared,” Pic admonished.

“But wouldn’t Max and Mr. Lewinson have spoken with these doctors before the trial?” Ella asked. “Why else would they call them?”

“Have the doctors been watching throughout?” Essie questioned. “They seem to have been.”

“I really can’t answer that,” Ella confessed. “That’s not what I was thinking about.”

“It’s not what you were supposed to be thinking about,” my mother assured her. “But, yes, Essie – I think the witnesses were all in the courtroom through the trial.”

I could only lightly confirm that because I’d been listening more than watching. My concentration was on my shorthand.

Dr. Gildersleeve continued her suggestion. “Maybe the doctors changed their thoughts after hearing the testimony. One of their skills is observation.”

Pic acknowledged that. “Though I’ve had witnesses who simply don’t seem to hear. They nod at the beginning, then they ramble, and there’s no reining them.”

“Is that why judges are given gavels?” Herbert joked. “Self-defense.”

“It’s interesting how specific all five of the doctors were,” Florrie headed off. “They didn’t seem to be wandering.”

“They’re professionals,” my father offered. “Even when lost, they maintain their authority.”

“Then the last one’s in the wrong profession,” Howard ventured. “I’ve never been in a meeting house, but he was all Hellfire and Damnation.”

“It’s New Jersey,” Herbert joshed, “where I’m pretty sure he’s from. Fine for summer breezes and the ocean...”

“...and safer from disease...” Essie followed.

“...but it’s not Boston or Philadelphia.”

“Still, Joe’s doctor seemed comfortable in moving back,” Florrie commented. “That’s loyalty.”

“Or inbreeding,” Herbert popped.

“He’s actually quite articulate,” Pic countered. “Maybe he’s angry about wasting his time in court – and never wants to do it again.”

“By giving himself a bad reputation?” Howard wondered.

“Not necessarily ‘bad’” Pic adjusted. “Precise. ‘Call-me-only-when-desperate.”

“The doctors all seemed clear on one matter,” Dr. Gildersleeve told my aunt. “That you’re recovering, but not recovered.”

“That’s generally how I feel,” Ella conceded. “I seem fine, but I’m always afraid that – in private – Joe’s ordinary, and really quite wonderful, affection will go a little far – with a kiss or a caress, and we’ll be back in the bedroom. I still want that to happen – successfully – but not if it brings more turmoil.” She was silent for a moment. “The worst thing is that I’m also afraid it would happen with any man.”

“You haven’t been with any man,” my mother counseled gently. “Each is different in his own way.” Then she smiled at my father. “Or so I’m told.”

“We all laughed.

“Have you considered what seemed to be suggested in the trial?” Dr. Gildersleeve went on. “I know this seems outspoken, but could you even consider finding a lover?”

Ella laughed again. “I’m afraid that what was said about me at the trial is unfortunately true – I’m too normal.”

Dr, Gildersleeve smiled. “Then it would take a rude outsider to suggest it.”

“Along with the doctors,” Lewis remarked.

“But look at the wrath that brought,” Herbert jested. He suddenly stood, scowled, and shook his raised fist. ‘I Have Never Suggested...!’”

“The doctor didn’t look anything like that, Herbert,” my mother corrected, though she seemed as amused.

“Well, he should have,” Herbert replied, sitting and retrieving his napkin. “I know Howard agrees.”

“Not if it costs me dinner,” Howard retreated, grinning. “I like being invited here.”

“The strength of those earlier doctors,” Dr. Gildersleeve continued, “was their support. By speaking intelligently,” she told Ella, “they treated you intelligently.”

“I’ve always felt that way when I was with them,” my aunt admitted.

“Something I’ve forgotten,” Essie had to ask. “Were the last pair both specialists?”

“The first one is,” Ella clarified. “The second is my long-time family doctor.”

“The one who suggested you leave?” Florrie asked, and Ella nodded,

“The odd thing,” Pic went on, “is that none of the four – and the one yesterday – really said anything that hasn’t been testified to, or even inferred, by Ella – especially as examined by Steuer. And Lewinson clearly knew that, because he began dodging for subterfuge. False psychology. Doubtful objectivity. Finally – the lowest – masturbation. It’s almost comic”

“The desperate attorney,” Lewis concluded.

“But the doctors stayed calm,” I pointed out. “And it kept undermining Lewinson.”

“Still, the earlier ones today,” my mother offered, “and Dr. Casamajor yesterday, seemed to have more experience in court.”

“Maybe that’s what was wrong with Dr. Goldstein,” Ella suggested. “He isn’t a legal expert. He’s a family physician.”

“An amateur,” Herbert scoffed.

“Popcorn. Peanuts. Crackerjacks,” Howard hawked.

Copyright © 2023 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Once again, the conversation around dinner is fascinating:  reflection, humor, insight, but above all, support for Ella. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I find it interesting that all the witnesses, the doctors, were allowed to listen to all the other's testimony.  That certainly isn't the case with expert witnesses today.

Link to comment

The witnesses didn't know when they were going to be asked to testify, so they had to be available.  Steuer and Lewinson also wanted them to hear Ella's testimony, since it came before theirs and could affect their thoughts, as it did.  Joe wanted to be there to hear Ella, and Ella wanted to hear Joe, and there's only one other group of witnesses, and they turn up next.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..