Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

593 Riverside Drive - 34. Temperory Chapter 34 -- A KINDA URGENT NOTE -- a delayed, modern interlude.

 
 

Hi,

Kinda unfortunately -- maybe selfishly for me -- I had a brain stem stroke on October 2nd, 2023.

I'm OK, and my doctors -- there were about half-dozen of them and a school-load of nurses and aides -- say I should make a complete recovery. I also -- often much to the medical staff's dismay -- never lost most of my verbal skills. I told them about my childhood, and my parents' childhood, and my grandparents' childhood, and my... you get the idea... almost through the operation and month-long follow-up. And the rest of the book's twelve chapters are almost all plotted out and in those terms ready to post. In fact, I could have done that any time during my lazy summer. But I was letting the characters take their time to add their nuances. Stupid nuances in retrospect. Now they're lost in addition to a series of details that needed to be corrected.

Also, my mind and mouth are OK, but my already lousy vision is rottener. So I'm not sure how long this is going to take -- this is a 9" x 14" blur. But having been warned by nature, I'm going to get everything up as quickly as I can -- plot first, polish later. So if anything further happens to me, at least you'll know what happens to all of my relatives. The fictional versions of them my sister reminds me -- she's not at all happy with how they're turning out.

"Marilyn, I make up stories," I've reminded her. "I've done that since fourth grade. I tidy things up."

"Well, I can't tell what's true and what's not," she complains. "You mix my life all up." (This conversation wasn't quite so decorous, either, to tell one version of the truth.)

But back to my explanation:

Again, sorry for the interruption. I obviously had no control over my stroke, which would have ended details on schedule. One thing that saved my life was a doctor saying the equivalent of -- and my husband swears I made this up, but I thought he told it to me -- "Other than the stroke, he's really in too good shape to let go." That negated our "Do not resuscitate" order.

Meanwhile, back to Spring 1925. Soon.

Rich

Copyright © 2023 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I wondered what happened to you, but never expected a stroke!  Who does?  Get better and take your time, we’ll be here when you’re ready. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Wishing You a Speedy & Healthy Recovery My Friend , We Will Be Waiting   Patiently For Your Return To These Pages 📖📚🕯✍🏽

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thanks.  With luck, it won't be too long. 

October was focused on the stroke and my early recovery, and November was used by my diminished energy.  Though I came back amazingly well, it turns out it takes a lot of energy to recover from a stroke, especially one in the brain.  I'm tired all the time, and even sitting at my desk takes too much energy.  But the story's there and just needs to be polished.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thanks.  More hopefully very soon.  Please see the other notes, so I don't repeat them.  Rich

On 11/20/2023 at 10:14 PM, JohnnyC said:

Wishing You a Speedy & Healthy Recovery My Friend , We Will Be Waiting   Patiently For Your Return To These Pages 📖📚🕯✍🏽

  • Love 1
Link to comment

And the experience keeps going with the recovery.  But mine seems so much easier than other people's.  I just can't remember how to do recently learned stuff.  And the speed technology changes doesn't help.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment

Thanks.  I enjoy writing this story, perhaps more than the ones where the guys keep losing their clothes.  Perhaps.  Because this one lets me visit with my long-missed relatives.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..