Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

593 Riverside Drive - 22. Chapter 22

“That was brutal,” my father almost apologized.

“Yes,” Ella said. “It made me not want to eat any lunch.”

“And then you had to go back into the courtroom,” Mama reminded us.

“Were you still being cross-examined?” Essie asked. “You’d think Benno Lewinson would have run out of questions.”

“No,” Herbert jibed. “He has Joe’s determination with the same lack of results.”

My father ignored that.

“How many answers does he need?” Howard asked. He and Lewis had joined us for dinner. “Hasn’t he established his case?”

It seems Lewis had the same thoughts. “And the details,” he added. “They’re embarrassing.”

“I’m sure you’ve heard worse,” Herbert quipped.

“I wasn’t thinking about myself,” Lewis defended. “I was concerned about Ella.”

“Which is where I began,” my father pointed out. “Lewinson is simply rude.”

“And he wanders,” I added. “Repeatedly.”

“If he’s doing that to confuse me,” Ella advised, “he hasn’t.”

“Yes. You’ve calmly repeated the facts,” my mother complimented.

“Even if I have to say them four times,” Ella teased. “It’s like what Alberta says about teaching the third grade.”

“Except Lewinson’s an adult,” Howard objected.

“Earning a respectable living,” Lewis complained.

“It’s not that he’s a bad lawyer,” I maintained. “He has his intentions, and he’s clobbering his way towards them. But he can’t be impressing Judge Crain – and there’s no other jury.”

“Unfortunately, as we know from other trials,” Lewis reasoned, “the best lawyer – the most skilled and subtle – doesn’t always prevail.”

“You described Lewinson perfectly, Ethel,” Herbert went on, laughing. “‘Clobbering.’ He’s a beaver.”

“At least, he’s not rat,” I joked back.

Lewis moved on. “I showed my father the transcripts from yesterday,” he told us. “Before I took the carbon copy to Dr. Guildersleeve, as you asked. Dad likes Steuer's approach, but thinks Lewinson seems untrained.”

“Dr. Gildersleeve said something interesting, too,” I remembered. “She said Benno Lewinson must be a criminal lawyer, because he has that manner of approach. Then she added, ‘But there needs to be respect for even the most obviously guilty defendant – or else our judicial system dissolves. And your aunt is far from being a criminal.’”

“I hadn’t thought about that,” Howard admitted. “But then you and Lewis have seen so many trials.”

“I hadn’t considered it, either.” I turned to Lewis. “Had you?”

“Not really. Though this is the first divorce trial I’ve followed this closely, and I’m just reading what Ella and Lewinson have to say. I can’t see them, so I’m losing any emotion. But my father warned me that these trials can get surprisingly impolite, and that seems to be happening here.”

“I guess none of us know what to expect,” Ella confessed, “even Max. Though he’s assured me he’s seen much worse. But he may have said that to keep me calm.”

“What could be worse?” my mother questioned.

“The ones that are trying to prove infidelity,” Ella related. “Real or pretended. At least, that’s what Max said. And he insisted that we’re being astonishingly polite.”

“Polite?” Herbert exclaimed. “Not in my drawing room.”

“Why would anyone want to be a divorce lawyer?” Essie soon wondered. “It’s like collecting the trash.”

“Maybe they do it to help people like me,” Ella said smiling. “Without Max, I’d be lost.”

Copyright © 2023 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Rude, disrespectful, arrogant, condescending, misogynistic...what more can I say about Atty. Lewinson?  I hope I've adequately described my reaction and disdain for the man!  But how I do admire Ella!

You certainly have done a great job of writing to both describe the events in the courtroom as well as the family discussions.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Fortunately, that's the worst Benno Lewinson gets.  He's still intrusive in the upcoming trial chapters, but the material he's handling isn't as personal.

And, yeah:  you can see the family and friends Ella gets her strength from.

Again, thanks for reading along.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..