Jump to content
    robertlee
  • Author
  • 889 Words
  • 1,706 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beards - 7. Chapter Seven

After a shift from hell, Ava and I sat on the hood of my car, a cool breeze rustling through the trees beyond the road. It felt good as it brushed against my face. “So.”

“So, indeed.” Ava leaned her head against my shoulder. Cars flew by on the road kicking up dust as they disappeared into the growing night. “Last night was bad. Real bad.”

“Agreed.” My fingers absently fidgeted in my lap. My heart quickened with anticipation of what was to come. Silence surrounded us.

“We’re gay.” Ava usually was full of snark and bite but her voice was softer and more real than ever. “I’m glad you know.” She shifted to face me, tears pooling in the corner of her eyes. “I’ve been wanting to say something forever but I was so scared.”

My arms wrapped tightly around her, pulling her close to my chest. Both of our hearts beating in sync with one another. “Yeah, me too.”

“I figured my no nonsense attitude would have given me away.” Ava chuckled to herself. “My defense mechanism made me look even more like a lesbian.”

“It’s what I always liked about you. You take no crap from anybody. I wish I could be more like you.” Stars faintly filled the sky above us dimmed by the neon glow of the diner’s sign. “I take everything to heart.” Ava’s fingers laced through her hair as she spun it around her finger.

“You think I don’t?” She paused for a moment, looking out in the darkness. “That’s why I act so tough. I pretend like nothing bothers me but it does.” Her hair brushed against my skin, sending a chill down my spine.

“You sure hide it well.” Another car flew by sending another blast of wind at us. “Tell me about Claudia. When did you start liking her?” A dopey smile spread across Ava’s face, something I had never seen before.

“Third grade. Some kid was giving her a hard time about reading a book during recess. Me being me, I tackled him and told him to leave her alone.” Ava paused, reminiscing to herself a moment. “After he left, Claudia told me ‘Fighting only causes more fighting’ and walked away.”

Ava grew quiet again. “That’s it?” I couldn’t hide the shock from my voice. It didn’t seem like the moment you fall in love with someone.

“Yeah, ass. That’s it.” There was the Ava I knew. “I was head over heels right then and there. She was the perfect antidote to my toughness. She was soft and gentle while I was loud and rough. We became amazing friends after that. It was the start of ‘us’.”

Her smile wouldn’t leave her face as she sat watching the world around us. “That’s pretty cute, Ava. Do you think she might be? You know?” It felt weird to ask a question like that. Like it was somehow the wrong thing to ask.

“Nah. I don’t think so but I can always dream.” Ava leaned, pushing herself upright. “What about Dreamboat Rob? When did that relationship start?”

My pulse pounded in my ear. “Just friends, not a relationship.” Suddenly my hands felt clammy.

“You sure? Don’t you have a date tomorrow?” It felt very hot. The air was roasting around us. I never thought of us hanging out as a date. Was it? No it couldn’t be. Rob was straight. Straight. Emphasis for my own mind to remember.

“No. We’re just friends.” Ava shot me one of her I-know-better looks. “We are! He’s not like us either.” Ava locked eyes with me, daring me to say more.

“Alright, if you say so. I sense something there but lesbian gaydar could be different.” She laughed at her joke while I tried to get my heart back under control. “So when did you start liking him?”

My mind wandered. When did I first start liking him? So many different memories of all of us flashed before my eyes. The first time we met. When we went on a mini vacation to the lake. First class we all had together. Too many moments that defined parts of why I liked Rob so much.

Ava watched as my eyes darted back and forth processing everything. “It seems really stupid but him always checking and making sure we make it home. When he first asked that I thought it was so weird but then it just showed how awesome of a guy he is.” Ava smiled at me. “What?”

“You. You had the biggest grin across your face the whole time you thought about him. It was nice seeing you happy for a change.” Ava pulled me close into another hug, squeezing me with all her strength.

“Thanks. It’s nice to see you happy too.” Another car passed by and the clock outside flashed 12:00. “Ready to go?”

Ava hopped off the hood with me close behind. “Let’s keep this heart to heart to ourselves though. I got a reputation to keep.” She winked and flung herself in the driver’s seat. “Keys, please.”

“Yes, dear.” I tossed the keys across the seat. As we drove my mind drifted again. Cool air filled the car as the music blared filling the quiet night with life.

Ava was right about something. I finally felt happy.

Copyright © 2017 robertlee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is like only being allowed to eat one piece of chocolate per day. The chocolate is nice but the moment you start to taste it on your tongue, it is already gone and you have to wait another day. Stupid short chapters. -,-

But a great story! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Scary said:

This is like only being allowed to eat one piece of chocolate per day. The chocolate is nice but the moment you start to taste it on your tongue, it is already gone and you have to wait another day. Stupid short chapters. -,-

But a great story! :D

 

Sorry! My chapter lengths go with what the story needs. Not all of them will be 1,000's of words some are smaller moments that don't need as much time but thanks for sticking with it!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..