Jump to content
    robertlee
  • Author
  • 1,809 Words
  • 2,796 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beards - 1. Chapter One

Things were exactly as you would expect them to be in this town. We had four restaurants, two gas stations and a local grocery store. Even Walmart wasn’t desperate enough to put down roots here. Closest one was a fifteen minute drive out of town. Everybody knew each other and was involved in each other’s business. You were either a yocal or a poor soul who was trapped here for the time being. Or until death took hold of you. Usually what happened first.

Enter me. I was determined to escape from this hellhole as soon as possible. My limited selection of friends is what kept me here for now. If it wasn’t for them, I would have been history already. Well, that and the deal with my parents. Get an associate’s degree from the local community college, degree of their choice, and they would pay for whatever school wherever I wanted to go.

I only had one requirement: As far away from here as possible. Ava, Rob and Claudia would follow I’m sure. As soon as I told them about the plan we started planning.

“Are you serious? There is no way I’m moving to the desert. Even Meadowbrook would be better!”

Ava was not one to take shit from anyone, least of all us.

“Come on, Ava. Hot year round, cool nature to explore. It would be amazing.” Rob tried to plead his case from the kitchen, flipping burgers and cooking breakfast at the same flattop. “Try and live a little.”

Ava slammed her tray down on the counter before wandering out to the dining room. A switch flipped in her head as she turned into a bubbly sweetheart as she approached her tables.

“Everything tasting okay, Mr. Martin?” She smiled warmly as if she really cared.

“Of course, dear. Thank you.” Mr. Martin was one of our regulars at the 24/7 Diner. A very original name. Only the best from Meadowbrook. Ava and I worked as servers in the evenings together while Rob was a cook. It was the only way a job could work for us. All together or not at all.

Rob laughed as Ava returned to counter. “Man, it’s funny.”

“What?” Ava had a way of saying the simplest of words with a don’t fuck with me attitude.

“You are so personable out there but as soon as you reach this counter Queen Bitch Ava rears her ugly head.”

Ava plastered the fakest of smiles on her face. “Better, Robert?” It was a terrifying sight.

“Yes, so much better. I don’t think I’ll sleep for a week now.” Ava launched several creamer cups through the window. A smile crept on her face as she turned away from him.

Their flirting was unbearable sometimes. It was another downside of the glorious Meadowbrook. Everything was straight. And I mean everything. If there was any trace of gay on anyone or anything it would be scrubbed cleaned or ran out of town faster than you could blink. I wish I was kidding.

My desire to leave was even stronger because of this. I’m gay. No one knew. Hopefully no one would ever find out either. If my parents would ever find out I think they would kill me themselves. Staunch conservatives to the core. It didn’t help that they fed themselves a steady diet of Fox News and televangelists.

Ava and Rob made me insanely jealous. Rob was gorgeous and I desperately prayed that he would be gay when we ran off together. I would fight Ava for him if I had too. No one would be crazy enough to come out in this town though.

“Order up, Bryan!” His voice distracted me from my thoughts. Ava gave me an inquisitive look as I blushed looking in Rob’s direction. Fuck. I needed to be more careful with my crushing.

Beyond our server station, and little sanctuary, the dining room extended in a straight line in both directions. Booths lined the walls flanked by random posters, pictures and other knickknacks the owner found over the years. They formed an L shape on each side, tables down the center and our counter in the middle of it all. Stools lined the bar counter.

Plates were balanced on my tray as made my through the crowd, dodging a screaming child, and almost face-planting into my table. Three hardcore rednecks were seated there, each giving me a dirty look as I placed their meals in front of them.

“Can I get you guys anything else? Any refills?” I tried to be cheerful and polite like Ava but the table was already a lost cause.

“No.”

“Alright. Enjoy guys.” Even my fake enthusiasm faltered. As I turned to walk away one of them started muttering on his breath.

“What a queer.” My heart stopped. Ava noticed right away. Before I even moved again. Across the dining room her face found me immediately. Shit. Just walk. Ignore it.

“What happened?” My tray barely left my hands before she was on me. Rob watched cautiously from the kitchen, pretending to not listen.

“Nothing. Just stupid yocals.” I wanted to drop it immediately. The more I dwelled on it the worse everything would be. Just had to move on. One more year. My personal mantra of late. Ava had other ideas though.

“What did they say?” She wasn’t going to drop it. I could see the fire sparking in her eyes. “Well?”

“Drop it please.” Practically begging her.

She fixed me with that same gaze from before. Questioning my very existence on the earth with her eyes.

“Dick! We’re taking a break.” Without waiting for a response, Ava dragged me outside by my ear. Like I was some kind of kid in trouble. Old Man Dick, the owner came ambling out of the kitchen muttering some kind of response which Ava paid no heed to.

The sky filled with purples and pinks as the sun was beginning to set beyond the tree line. Traffic rushed by on the main road of town. Ava waited for me to speak up. Something I didn’t want to do. She hated waiting for anything.

“Talk. You’re obviously upset.” She finally blurted out as the minutes dragged on.

“Some yocal called me a queer. It’s nothing, like I said.” Even though it was everything. Ava stood in stunned silence. I couldn’t tell whether she was shocked at what was said or what implications it made. “Not a big deal like I said.” I tried to break the tension.

“Fuck him!” Ava pushed the door open and ran into the dining room. What the fuck?

Before I could stop her, Ava was standing in front of my table, all smiles and cheerful like she always appeared in front of customer. It all happened in slow motion. Ava grabbed his plate, tossed the food in his lap and screamed at him in an ungodly volume.

“Get your disgusting ass the fuck out of here right now!” All three men looked completely horrified. I was horrified. And embarrassed. Rob laughed from the kitchen watching me from the corner of his eyes. It made me feel uneasy.

“You go girl!” He shouted as Ava pushed the men out the door. Dick grabbed Ava by the arm and dragged her into his office, apologizing to all the customers as he walked by. He shot daggers at Rob and I, knowing that Ava couldn’t possibly be alone in this.

I wanted to die. My faced burned with embarrassment.

“Jesus Christ.” Immediately I went from table to table, making sure everyone was happy and not disgusted by the scene. Tables filed out slowly and Ava still hadn’t left Dick’s office. The place was empty as Rob came out from the kitchen, plopping into the seat behind me, throwing his arm around me. Oh god.

“What the hell was that about, man?” He seemed earnest. Unusual for him. Normally everything was a joke. “You okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. One of those assholes said something about me and Ava went bat shit crazy. I told her just leave it.” Rob squeezed my shoulder pulling me closer to him. Shit.

“What they say?” This was not a conversation I was willing to have with him. Especially with his arm wrapped around me. It was hard enough to even breathe at the moment.

“Just stupid things. It’s all good.” It was a lame attempt to deflect. Before he could say anything else I changed the subject. “You done for the night?”

“I’ll let it slide this time, man. We’re friends don’t forget that.” He gave me a once over, making sure I looked him directly in the eyes before moving on. His beautiful gray eyes, with tiny specks of yellow and green throughout. “Yeah, I’m done. You waiting for Ava?”

My shift technically didn’t end for another hour but Ava and I came as a packaged deal. The overnight server, Patty, was already here and we always came and went at the same time.

“Yeah, I’m gonna wait. Hopefully she’s not in too much trouble.”

“I hope man. This place isn’t the same without you two. Text me when you guys get home, just so I know.” Rob was like that too.

The guy that never acted serious always wanted texts to make sure we got home safe. Otherwise he would worry too much and start panic texting. It was cute. He always wanted to text. It was kind of weird. The lamest things he would make sure to share with me or Ava. Texting at least once a day while I was sitting in class.

Dick’s office door finally opened and Ava sauntered over somberly. “Everything okay?”

“Ha. Yeah, Dick wasn’t real happy with that stunt. But I couldn’t let those guys get away with that, you know?”

I didn’t but I nodded my head anyway.

“I’m on probation for a week. No slacking off or Dick might have to consider firing me. Only might though.” We both knew that Dick was a pushover. He was the sweetest person out of everyone in this town. He even understood what we were all feeling. That’s why he hired all of us.

Once he dreamed of leaving too but he found the love of his life here and settled down, opening the diner. He was happy but he understood. I would definitely miss him when I left.

“You ready to go then?” I really wanted to get out of there. People were talking about it already. Home wasn’t the best place either but I needed space.

Ava looped her arm around mine as we walked out into the night. It felt good to have her beside me. Almost as if I was normal. Like she was my girlfriend or something. I wish it could be that easy.

Copyright © 2017 robertlee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

 Good first chapter... I think I'm going to enjoy Ava. Definitely a girl with spunk!! 

 

2 hours ago, croyde said:

Would have to agree, your story has promise, like Ava alot she could be a great ally.

 

Thank you guys! Ava was a fun one to write. Most of the women in my life have that spunk so its hard to not include it in my characters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I can relate to so much in this chapter, it is bizarre 

 

one more year...

though my mantra started earlier..... two more years...

 

and when it was time to run I chose the farthest uni I could find... I chose a major that was only taught there, so nobody could interfere with my plan...

 

and walking with my female friend arms looped as if she was my gf...  as if I was normal... that felt so good it brings a smile to my face now...

But she was part of the homophobic town too. I hope Ava is better than her...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

For a while there, I thought Ava was Bryan's sister!

 

Anyway...awesome first chapter, Robert! On to the next one. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You might want to change that from Yocal to Yokel.

 

I think both Ava and Rob are probably aware of Bryan’s orientation. I’m just wondering who Claudia is…  ;-)

Link to comment

Interesting beginning. I like your three main characters already. You have posted through chapter four, so I'll binge to catch up.  I am wondering about Bryan's word, yokal.  Do you mean yokel? Thanks for a great start! Jeff

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..