Jump to content
    robertlee
  • Author
  • 797 Words
  • 1,514 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beards - 9. Chapter Eight (Part #2)

Chapter Eight is split into two parts because it was longer than my normal chapters and I wasn't sure if I wanted it to be one chapter or two. So for now it's going to be a part one and part two. Happy reading!

“What do you think?” Rob smiled, clearly pleased with his adventure plan. “So different then when we were kids, right?”

I could only nod my head. Everything was breathtaking. “Yeah. I remember only thinking about the waterpark when we were here. That’s all everyone care about.”

“Yeah we missed out on the really cool part of this place.” Rob walked around the base. His eyes lit up when he found something on the ground. “Perfect.”

“What is it?” I asked cautiously. Rob still had more up his sleeve. He beckoned me over, smiling from ear to ear. “What are you so grinny about?”

“This is why we are here.” Rob stood beaming pointing to a rock sticking out of the ground, covered in scuff marks. “Remember?”

“Um?” Rob pointed again. I had no idea what he was talking about now. My memories of this place were not as vivid as his own.

“Man, you’re lucky I like you.” Rob shook his head. He pulled me down to the ground, forcing into the dirt beside him. “I didn’t think you’d remember. It seems stupid but I never forgot.”

His knee brushed against mine as he rubbed his fingers against the stone. Like me, Rob became lost in his thoughts. Reminiscing about days past. “Don’t leave me in suspense forever.”

“Huh?” Rob looked up like he forgot I was there. “Oh. Yeah, right.” His fingers rested on the rock again. “When I think of us, like our friendship, I think of this rock.”

“This rock?” My finger gently touched the rock, millimeters from Rob’s. I could feel the warmth of his body radiating from his fingertips.

“Yep, this rock. This place. Fifth grade. It all comes together.” Rob was lost in his nostalgic feelings as he talked, barely registering anything else. “All of us were running around like idiots and Mr. Hankerson was yelling and telling the chaperones to get us under control or no waterpark.”

Faint memories started forming in my mind. I could see the scene he was describing. I was off by myself as Rob was running around with the other kids. Ava and Claudia were close by but off in their own world. Mr. Hankerson was a tired, middle age man. Teaching elementary school kids definitely took its toll on him. He was graying far sooner than he should have. Meadowbrook was tough on everyone apparently.

“So everyone finally calmed down and started walking back down the trail, except me. I kept being an idiot and running around. I tripped on this rock right here. Some of these scuffs are probably still from me.” His fingers traced the outline of the scuff marks a distant look in his eyes.

“I remember that. You fell and everyone else was gone. Even Mr. Hankerson. Everyone but me.” More memories flooded my mind. “You cut yourself pretty bad, didn’t you?”

“Yes! I remember thinking I was going to die because there so ‘much’ blood. I started crying like a baby before I noticed you standing there still.” Rob locked eyes with me for a second. A brief second before looking off into the distant again. “You didn’t make fun of me though. You just sat with me and made sure I was okay.”

“I completely forgot about this. How do you remember all this?” Rob was still lost in his own world. My words didn’t even register to him.

“Even the rest of the day, I couldn’t go on most of the rides but you stuck with me so I wasn’t alone.” Rob smiled to himself before looking up at me. “You’re my best friend Bryan. I don’t know what I would do without you.”

My heart beat quickly in my chest. Everything felt ten degrees warmer as my face turned a distant pink shade. “Same to you, Rob. I would be lost if you weren’t here.”

Rob looked sad. Struggling with something he didn’t quite understand. Like me. Every day I struggled with the things that constantly flowed through my head. “That’s why I brought you here. I wanted to tell you that. And...” He trailed off, turning away.

“Rob?” My voice sounded eager. I don’t know why but my internal sensors were beeping rapidly. Something was about to happen.

“And I wanted to do this.” Rob reached towards me, cradling my face in his hands as he gently pressed his lips against mine.

I froze.

Panic spread through every inch of my body. Rob pulled away, fear etched into his features as he looked at me. “Oh my god. I’m so sorry.”

Words couldn’t formulate. Everything I wanted happened and now I was freaking out.

“I’m with Ava.” Before I could stop myself the words slipped out. Rob’s face fell and my heart broke.

Copyright © 2017 robertlee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I knew it!  ;-)

 

 

And then he blew it! Why? Rob kissed him! Wasn’t that an indication that Rob has feelings for Bryan? What more does Bryan want? What an idiot!

Link to comment
28 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I knew it!  ;-)

 

 

And then he blew it! Why? Rob kissed him! Wasn’t that an indication that Rob has feelings for Bryan? What more does Bryan want? What an idiot!

I remember being stupid like Bryan when I was still semi-closeted. Even someone telling me they had feelings for me wasn't enough for me to step out of that closet fully. Thanks for always reading and commenting!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow.  It was everything he wanted and he blew it.  Let alone when she finds out Ava is gonna kill him. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

When the kiss happened, I thought "ok so Rob likes him too and they can be together now. Story over. Why was it even called 'Beards' then?" But Bryan blew it for some incomprehensible reason and now this is going to be fun. :D

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I agree with Scary. I figured kiss and confession and story over. But you, oh diabolical author, have other plans. I can't wait to see how Ava reacts. I think Glennish is wrong about her. Didn't they agree to beard for each other? It will be interesting to see where you plan to go from here. Thanks for more good story.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Scary said:

When the kiss happened, I thought "ok so Rob likes him too and they can be together now. Story over. Why was it even called 'Beards' then?" But Bryan blew it for some incomprehensible reason and now this is going to be fun. :D

 

15 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

I agree with Scary. I figured kiss and confession and story over. But you, oh diabolical author, have other plans. I can't wait to see how Ava reacts. I think Glennish is wrong about her. Didn't they agree to beard for each other? It will be interesting to see where you plan to go from here. Thanks for more good story.

 

I still have a few more tricks up my sleeve! Thanks for reading and commenting :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..