Jump to content
    robertlee
  • Author
  • 1,226 Words
  • 1,756 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beards - 6. Chapter Six

The rest of the night was a complete blur. Little moments remembered like flashbacks of a past life but not much else. Claudia arrived. Too many shots were taken. Too many beers chugged. Lots of laughing. Ava trying to flirt without seeming obvious. Dancing. Crying. Then nothing but black.

I woke up on the kitchen floor with my good friend Mr. Trashcan still by my side. He was always there for me. Ava and Claudia were passed out on the living room floor together. While the room spun around me, I struggled to make my way to Ava.

“Ava?” I poked her between the ribs with my foot. She wouldn’t budge. “Ava!?”

“Shut the fuck up.” She rolled over, pretending I didn’t exist.

“I’m going home, I’ll see you tonight at work.” I think. I didn’t even know what time it was. My phone had died before I even passed out. Right after texting Rob. Something I couldn’t forget.

Ava grunted some kind of response and push my feet away from her. “You stink.” And passed out again.

As if the sun was directly beside me, my eyes flooded with intense light as I stepped off Ava’s front porch. A warm gust of wind hit my face as I walked down the sidewalk towards home. My head was still spinning. From booze and my life. Too many weird things had happened in one night. My mind couldn’t wrap around the conflicting thoughts. Maybe we would forget this whole dating thing. Or the whole coming out thing.

Mom and Dad were still sleeping when I got home. Thank God. I had enough serious conversations for the week. No talk of staying out too late or money or dream crushing. Silence filled the whole house as I carefully climbed the stairs and shut myself away in my room. My sanctuary.

Light flashed across my phone’s screen as it came back to life on the charger. Notifications started pouring in. Messages and Snapchats from Rob. How long was my phone off for? Did I do anything stupid?

Probably. I wasn’t ready to face that yet. I set an alarm ignoring everything else. My body barely plopped on my bed before I passed out again.

“Bryan?” My mom’s voiced echoed around my head like it was miles away. Maybe it was. A faint peeping pulsed beneath the surface. My brain sloshed around my skull still.

“Yeah?” My hands fumbled around trying to grasp something, not sure whether this was reality or a dream.

“Your alarms going off. For a while now. Just making sure you’re alive.” Before I could answer my door softly closed behind her. My fingers finally connected, silencing the alarm.

“Ugh.” Heaving myself up felt like Ava was sitting beside me constantly punching me in the face. Something she totally would do. 4:15. Shit! I sprang from bed rushing to the shower barely out of my clothes before the water splashed against me. My towel slapped against my skin stinging my flesh. My knees scraped against the floor as I kept trying to get my legs through my work jeans with increasing difficulty.

“Honey?” Mom spoke quietly as I sprint down the stairs towards the front door. “Everything okay?”

“Can’t talk. Very Late. Love you.” Thankfully no cops were out as I sped through town slamming my car into park beneath the 24/7 Diner sign. As I burst through the front door my mouth dropped open. “Holy shit.” The words slipped out before I could stop them, two ladies staring at me completely appalled.

“Nice to see you too.” Ava slouched against the counter looking like she just rolled out of a dumpster and never got over her emo days. Dark circles beneath her eyes looked like they were colored in with Sharpie.

“You’re late.” Rob looked perfect as usual, not succumbing to the temptations of booze like we had. Even with a smile across his face, something was different. “Thanks for ignoring me.”

“What do you mean?” Shit. Again. I still hadn’t checked my phone from earlier. What did I do? Rob said nothing and pretended to be busy in the kitchen. Even though we only had one table. Ava suspiciously watched from the corner of her eyes. “Ava?”

“Don’t look at me. He’s on his own in this one. I just woke up.” Ava put her head back done, shielding her face from the harsh overhead lights. “But a word of advice, check your phone dummy.”

Sliding out of view of Rob behind the counter, I started checking everything from the night before and this morning. Selfies of Rob in the kitchen and pictures of random food creations on Snapchat.

Rob: So I have a plan for Sunday but it’s top secret

Rob: Give me authorization so I can initiate my plans

Rob: Say you trust me and we’re good to go

Rob: Is that a no?

Rob: Or did you phone die?

Rob: Hello?

Rob: Text me when you wake up please!

Rob: Okay?

Rob: Still nothing? Forget it.

Rob: See you at work I guess.

What kind of plans could he have for us? Or should I say had. Stupid drunk me. I should have known I would need my charger and I shouldn’t have drank so much. I couldn’t even blame Ava for that. Most of it was me.

“Rob?” I cautiously entered the kitchen not sure what to expect.

“Yes, Bryan?” He didn’t look up from what he was doing. Utensils tossing from hand to hand over the flat top. “I’m a little busy.”

“I just wanted to say I’m sorry for missing your messages. You know how Ava and I get. Shots followed by more shots followed by even more shots. I didn’t get the messages until like right now.” My words floated in the space between us as Rob absentmindedly flipped a burger.

“I know, man.” He pressed a spatula down on the burger, its juices sizzling against the hot surface. “I don’t know why I even got annoyed. More of me being stupid.” He placed a piece of cheese on top and let the steam melt it. “I’m just tired from work and I’m being pissy.” Rob finally turned to face me. His eyes pointed to the ground, avoiding eye contact.

“No, you’re not being stupid. I get it completely.” I took a few more steps into the kitchen, bridging the gap between us. “I’ll make it up to you.” How I didn’t know. Rob looked up, locking eyes with me.

“So answer my question. You trust me?” Now, he didn’t break eye contact as he spoke.

“Completely.” I answered without missing a beat.

“Good.” Rob returned his attention to the grill as the front door opened before a stream of customer flooded in.

“Hey you two. I can’t do this myself. Break up the love fest.” Tired Ava would not take crap from anyone. It was best to follow her orders or face severe consequences. “Bryan, now!”

“Ava, you’re so pretty when you’re angry.” Rob laughed as Ava tossed a tray through the window at him easily catching it. “But your throwing needs work.”

Ava flipped him off and turned her server magic on.

“Hi there! Welcome to the 24/7 Diner. How can we help you?”

And just like that, everything seemed normal again.

Copyright © 2017 robertlee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Finding it very hard to find anything that Rob could like about these two losers, Ava and Bryan!! Two drunks...one abusive, one submissive...both useless!! Rob should look for better friends! And Bryan sure doesn't appear to be boyfriend material that you want to write home about!!! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I really like these three characters! Now, what does Rob have up his sleeve? I'll be tuning in for the next installment. Thanks. Jeff

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I just do not understand the appeal of alcohol. When I was homeless, I met way too many alcoholics who had no idea what they were doing because they were so drunk. Alcohol being the reason they couldn’t work or otherwise function in polite society.

 

I do not see a bright future for these three if that’s how they spend their leisure time. I realize that there are people just like them in real life. Something needs to happen to shock them into sobriety!

 

 

Maybe the story should continue with Rob finding new friends who aren’t so self-destructive…

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Onim said:

Finding it very hard to find anything that Rob could like about these two losers, Ava and Bryan!! Two drunks...one abusive, one submissive...both useless!! Rob should look for better friends! And Bryan sure doesn't appear to be boyfriend material that you want to write home about!!! 

I kind of have to agree. But surely we will soon learn why Bryan is lovable?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Onim said:

Finding it very hard to find anything that Rob could like about these two losers, Ava and Bryan!! Two drunks...one abusive, one submissive...both useless!! Rob should look for better friends! And Bryan sure doesn't appear to be boyfriend material that you want to write home about!!! 

 

2 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I just do not understand the appeal of alcohol. When I was homeless, I met way too many alcoholics who had no idea what they were doing because they were so drunk. Alcohol being the reason they couldn’t work or otherwise function in polite society.

 

I do not see a bright future for these three if that’s how they spend their leisure time. I realize that there are people just like them in real life. Something needs to happen to shock them into sobriety!

 

 

Maybe the story should continue with Rob finding new friends who aren’t so self-destructive…

 

I can see where you guys are coming from in a way but not to the level you are saying. I don't necessarily think that drinking on a Friday night means someone is an alcoholic or a useless drunk. People drink to unwind from life and sure it can go to far and become a problem but I don't believe that these characters are there yet. Most kids in college drink. I've seen it with my own eyes during my college years and the years I've spent in a college town since then. It doesn't make them alcoholics because they can still go through life and live healthy productive lives. Ava and Bryan may not have chosen the best way to deal with their coming out but for some people that's the easiest way to get through that first shock of it. Hopefully you will give them a chance to redeem themselves!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..