Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Keeping The Stars Apart - 1. Story

She's finally fallen asleep. We were up all night, sponging her down and singing to her as we waited for the three hour relays between paracetamol and ibuprofen to take effect. We were about to bundle her in the car and hightail it to the emergency unit when I found my old otoscope and looked in her ear. If a pharmacologist could see the inflammation, I managed to quip, then it's definitely otitis media. We called a paediatrician friend of mine who emailed a script because I lose all sense of medicine when its my child. The temperature has settled and my husband has passed out next to Susie after driving across the city to find an all-night pharmacy to dispense the antibiotics.

As the dawn light splashes over my sleeping family, I remember my own bout with middle-ear infection when I was five, just a year older than my daughter is now. My mom stayed with me the whole time, soothing me with same lullabies as the rigors shook my body and the throbbing felt as if it were going to cleave my brain in half.

Chris stirs, and then sits bolt upright, confused, with a wild look in his face.

'Hey, hey, it's okay love,' I say, grabbing his shoulder. Even after two decades, I still shiver whenever I touch him, amazed at how his muscles remain simultaneously titanic and sylph-like. At 37, he still looks like a blond Superboy even as silver wicks into his temples and his beard.

He looks around, and then reality settles in. His eyes dart to our daughter.

'Bru. Is she better?'

I nod. 'Both of you have been out of it for a few hours now.'

The sky is lightening quickly, and I'm so thankful it's the weekend.

'You've been sitting here awake the whole time?'

'Yes,' I say. 'Why wouldn't I be?'

Chris leans in to kiss me. 'I know,' he says. 'Our hero.'

'Is Mikey okay?' he asks.

'Ja. I checked in on him just now, he's snoring with both dogs.'

Chris shakes his head and smiles. 'So much for trying to keep the bed out of bounds.'

Our son is an animal whisperer, like most eight-year-old boys. He'll go to bed and end up with two cats around his head, the Jack Russell in one armpit and the Labrador draped over his legs - yes, all 30 kg of her.

'Get in,' says Chris, patting the one side of our bed.

Our parenting style is best described as "scientific crunchy". I believe dirt is good but would sterilise the feeding bottles twice over (first in the microwave and then soak them it in dilute sodium hypochlorite). I continued sterilising all their utensils and cups after they were fully weaned. We vaccinated the fuck out of them but Chris made almost all the baby food for a whole year.

We flirted with surrogacy and the whole IVF thing but I kind of cracked halfway through the first set of paperwork. And then we decided to adopt and the paperwork was several orders of byzantine magnitude worse.

 

And now we're feeling the need to have a kid again. Chris and I have a good joint income, we bought a house way too big for even the four of us, and if we could give one more child a loving home and a good future (I think?? I think too much) it's something.

It hasn’t been easy. Never mind the ever-present looks of disapproval or surprise, there is my own guilt about stupid things. When with our first arrived I would buy formula at the pharmacy and keep my eyes peeled for someone telling me I'm feeding my child powdered McDonalds (someone actually said that to me and then doubled down when I said neither myself nor her other father are capable of lactation, suggesting we source from donors... fuck off please, that resource should be ring fenced for the premature waifs in NICU.)

I can't answer these questions, and I don't know what psychological trauma we've inadvertently transmitted to our children even epigentically. They may not share our DNA but go far back enough and we actually do.

The point is, we love them more than anything in the universe.

Messing it up is inevitable. There's that poem... They f*** you up, your mum and dad / They may not mean to, but they do...

All I can say is... and Chris too... is that while fatherhood came natural to the two of us, it came natural in the way forest fires and monsoons do, upsetting everything painfully and reorganising entire ecosystems. The Bible says: Wretched as you are, you know how to love your children. Not that I think we're wretched.

It's especially when the kids are asleep that I miss my mother. How she would have loved them; how they would have loved her. It's hard for Dad sometimes... wanting to share his grandkids with Mom, and he can't. It's also amazing how Brian and Fiona have more or less a united front there are family get-togethers. I'm still flabbergasted how we were able to have an absolutely peaceful Christmas at Southbroom with both of them there, we witnessed no old enmities, to the point that Michael had to ask:

'How come Grandpa and Grandma don't live together if they're Daddy's parents? It's not like Papa, because his mommy died, and that's why Gramps is alone.'

Brian handled it with surprising aplomb.

'It doesn't matter, Mikey. We both love you and Daddy... and your Papa.'

This was enough for him, who simply nodded and then asked for some more Coke, which I will allow on holiday from grandparents because it's their job to break all your parenting rules.

Chris had to suddenly get up "to check on the gammon"; I found him in the bathroom, desperately trying not to cry. All these years later, Brian's rejection (and reacceptance) of him hasn't completely healed. Not even when he jogged out in front of forty thousand screaming fans as a last-minute replacement Springbok to help bring the World Cup home to South Africa. He still does a double take when his father tells him he loves him; it's only recently that he can even stand to hug him.

I understand, and think how lucky I am to have my father.

I never thought that would be the most awkward moment (so far, at least: we're freaking out when puberty comes.)

We were stealing ourselves for the inevitable questions: “why do I have two fathers? What does being gay mean? Why don't I have a mother?”

And so, we were called to school because Mikey got into textbook scuffle.

Our son sat with his arms folded, red-faced but calm. The principal had a sage expression on her face.

'You realise, Michael,’ she said, ‘that what you said and did was not very nice, but I understand that he had no right to make that comment about your fathers.'

Chris and I raised our eyebrows and looked at our son, and I tried hard to hide my pride at the way he had dealt with the situation:

It was Mikey who told Richard to back down and stop bullying the little Grade Two boy, to which the little oaf said to him “butt out fag-ass" followed by "besides, he can run to his mommy. You can’t. You don't have a mom."

Mikey shrugged his shoulders and replied calmly: 'Well, at least my dads wanted me. I heard you weren't planned, and then your dad ran away with his secretary."

Mikey expected the punch; he took it on the chin and then, very calmly, broke Richard's nose.

My husband's eyes twinkled, as the tried hard to stifle laughter.

We took our boy for ice-cream and decided not to ground him.

'Mikey,' I said with a deep breath, 'we know it must be strange for you sometimes, that we're not like many families.'

'What do you mean, Papa?'

'Well, you see, there's me and Daddy, and we're both men.'

'That's okay,' he said, a small sagacious Gandalf. 'But Granny died when you were young, so you only had your daddy. So me and Susie are lucky that we have both of you.'

My heart went supernova with love for my son.

'But you know you grew inside the tummy of a woman,' said Chris, 'and from a... nature point of view you and Susie do have a mom...'

'Yes I know, but parents raise kids.'

'How are you so wise?' I said, kissing his forehead.

'I think it's Granny. Gramps said I talk the way she does.

My Dad was right.

'So do you know if I came out of the vagina or did they cut her open when I was born? Because Granny was born with that thing on her face and that's why she could see things.'

'Oh my God,' said Chris, and covered his face, and I started giggling.

'Um,' I said, 'I was told you came out the... the usual way. I had to be cut out, because the cord was around my neck and Grandma was very tired... but, that’s only some cases.'

'I thought so,' says Mikey, and sighs deeply, as if he had solved a major philosophical problem. 'Can I have a waffle?'

*

I hear a little series of footfalls, and next thing I know I'm sandwiched between Mikey and Chris, who in turn is coiled protectively around our daughter. She's still deep in slumber. Her little tresses are spread out, fusing with her father's amber locks.

Within moments, Fred has jumped on the bed with a bone that his almost as big as his little terrier body, then, and after half a minute of unrequited whining Tessa has slumped in her basket. The cats arrive en masse as I'm drifting off, and even as the sun is rising, I can see Venus glowing on the horizon. Our bed is a spacecraft, and soon we will dream about flying high above the earth, seeing the clouds swirl over Africa; there's lightning playing over the Rift Valley and a little red glow over Réunion as the volcanoes twitch in their slumber.

We are, perhaps, little planets orbiting around each other, and I think that is what love is: not just gravity, but anti-gravity too; like cummings’s poem says:

This is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart.

Copyright © 2013 Sean J Halford; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. The Lounge

    A general discussion forum
    No politics, solicitation, or commercial postings will be allowed.

    152.3k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Beautiful images, such a beautiful family, this was a wonderfully lovely and touching feel good piece, thank you for sharing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This was a lovely and unexpected gift. It refreshed all the good memories and awakened hope for more. Thanks

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm so incredibly happy that Cal and Chris were able to have a family together. This was a great snapshot of what their lives as a family are like. Thank you for writing it for us.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Fabulous epiphany of their lives, Sean. It's like a hologram: complete and yet you know there is so much more if you could only see more clearly the details. Thank you!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What a terrific little 'sneak' into Cal and Chris' lives. Loved the kids; Mikey's pretty insightful for an eight year old. lol

 

Loved the part with the dogs lying on his bed; I certainly know what that's like. =)

 

Just a beautiful ending to a beautiful story Sean.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You have a natural sense about children. I hope they are in your future if that is in your heart. You catch the gentle rhythms of parenthood, the concerns, the worries and the many moments in between the periodic drama. It is truly the everyday events that grow your heart. With us it is every night at bedtime when our daughter announces that it is time for snuggle position, with her head resting on my shoulder and my arm wrapped around her and we read together. My partner and i are ruthless in insisting that it is our turn though sometimes all 3 of us crowd together. At 8 she sometimes reads to me or on her own but at bedtime, we still read mostly to her because its tradition. We spent a whole year covering all 7 books of Harry Potter. I don't know whether to curse J K Rowling or praise her for while it is not great literature, it has captured the imagination of my girl and millions of other children and showed them the joys of the written word. The characters are brave and fierce and honest, just like our girl. Thanks again for Stronger than Lions, it was a wonderful read

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/06/2013 04:33 PM, stanollie said:
This was a lovely and unexpected gift. It refreshed all the good memories and awakened hope for more. Thanks
Thank you.
Link to comment
On 01/07/2013 05:39 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
I'm so incredibly happy that Cal and Chris were able to have a family together. This was a great snapshot of what their lives as a family are like. Thank you for writing it for us.
Heheh. Yup, I kinda felt they deserved their happily ever after with all the shit I put them through !! :)
Link to comment
On 01/07/2013 01:52 PM, hillj69 said:
Fabulous epiphany of their lives, Sean. It's like a hologram: complete and yet you know there is so much more if you could only see more clearly the details. Thank you!
You're most welcome :)
Link to comment
On 01/08/2013 07:51 AM, Lisa said:
What a terrific little 'sneak' into Cal and Chris' lives. Loved the kids; Mikey's pretty insightful for an eight year old. lol

 

Loved the part with the dogs lying on his bed; I certainly know what that's like. =)

 

Just a beautiful ending to a beautiful story Sean.

Hehehe glad you enjoyed it :)
Link to comment
On 01/09/2013 04:01 AM, Rndmrunner said:
You have a natural sense about children. I hope they are in your future if that is in your heart. You catch the gentle rhythms of parenthood, the concerns, the worries and the many moments in between the periodic drama. It is truly the everyday events that grow your heart. With us it is every night at bedtime when our daughter announces that it is time for snuggle position, with her head resting on my shoulder and my arm wrapped around her and we read together. My partner and i are ruthless in insisting that it is our turn though sometimes all 3 of us crowd together. At 8 she sometimes reads to me or on her own but at bedtime, we still read mostly to her because its tradition. We spent a whole year covering all 7 books of Harry Potter. I don't know whether to curse J K Rowling or praise her for while it is not great literature, it has captured the imagination of my girl and millions of other children and showed them the joys of the written word. The characters are brave and fierce and honest, just like our girl. Thanks again for Stronger than Lions, it was a wonderful read
Thank you so much, that means a lot :)
Link to comment
On 01/06/2013 11:10 AM, layla said:
Beautiful images, such a beautiful family, this was a wonderfully lovely and touching feel good piece, thank you for sharing.
You're welcome!
Link to comment

Thank you for the sneak peak. The innocence in the children was a pleasure to read and to see just that spark of it in the guys as well even after a couple decades. Hopefully there will a bit longer sneak peak at a later date to see if they did adopt anf to see how they manage with their teenagers.

  • Like 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

I loved every chapter of Stronger Than Lions, which I feel is the finest writing I have seen in Nifty (before discovering your Gay Authors site). And I loved your sneak peak. So now I have to get started on your other efforts.

it's rare to see such a combination of so many fields of knowledge in one story - history, literature, music, sports, science - it's quite a tribute to your liberal arts education.

Many thanks,

Bill

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/06/2013 04:14 PM, bill3801 said:
I loved every chapter of Stronger Than Lions, which I feel is the finest writing I have seen in Nifty (before discovering your Gay Authors site). And I loved your sneak peak. So now I have to get started on your other efforts.

it's rare to see such a combination of so many fields of knowledge in one story - history, literature, music, sports, science - it's quite a tribute to your liberal arts education.

Many thanks,

Bill

You're most welcome. Thank you for reading.
Link to comment

So a healthy, smart, successful family is born.

I was quite chuft to find that there was a tid bit more to read. :)

Nicely done.

x

Link to comment

I´m glad there was more to read even if it´s just a very short addition to Chris and Cal´s story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What a nice bit of chocolate to stumble across. I had read the original story before I joined GA and I just reread so I could finally pay my overdue compliments/thoughts/observations to the author, but I was not aware of this little extra so it was a fresh read, thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm always so uplifted when I read Sean's words. 

 

His writing somehow evokes feelings in me that I can't explain. He makes me FEEL!! 

 

Like Sean, I am South African, but haven't lived there for 30 years, but I'm always pleased to read his descriptions of SA! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..