Jump to content
    ShadowDancer
  • Author
  • 2,886 Words
  • 2,841 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Big Sky - 7. Chapter 7 Hunter meets Seth

Big Sky

Chapter 7

Hunter meets Seth

 

Hunter stepped off the kitchen house porch, started walking over to the main house. Ed turned around as Hunter walked up to him. “Max and Seth this is Hunter my top hand here on the ranch. Hunter this is Max, my ex-military buddy and this young man is Seth, Max’s only son.” Ed said to Hunter with a weird look on his face.

Hunter shook Max’s hand saying “Glad to meet you.”

“You to Hunter.” Max said

Hunter turned to Seth with his hand out, Seth reached out and took it saying “Nice to meet you.”

“You too.” Hunter said with his hand still having a hold of Seth’s. Hunter felt his hand start to tingle and then the tingling shooting up his arm, looking at Seth to see into the most amazing blue eyes he has ever seen. Seth smiled at him and let go of his hand.

“Seth let’s unload the horses they are getting restless in there.” Max said to Seth with a smirk on his face, Max turned and looked at Ed smiling knowing that these two boys don’t know they are both gay.

“Max let Hunter and Seth unload them and you come in the house and relax, Martha should be back from town in a bit.” Ed said Max

“You ok with that Seth, I don’t mind helping you with the horses.” Max said to his son

“No Dad that’s ok, you go sit down and unwind from driving. I can handle the horses, that way I can spend some time with Sammy.” Seth told his dad with a big smile.

“Ya I know she has missed you as much as you have missed her. Let me know if you have any trouble with Sage, she has been getting a little spunky lately.” Max said.

“Ok Dad,” Seth said

Seth turned and looked at Hunter and asked “Would you mind helping me with them if you don’t have to be somewhere else?”

“No problem, unlatch the door and lead them out and I will walk one over to the barn for you.” Hunter said to Seth smiling.

Hunter followed Seth to the back of the trailer watching Seth’s ass wondering what it would feel like in his hands. Seth got to the door and unlatch it, opened it and started talking to Sammy. “How is my little lady doing? Did you have fun riding in here with Sage? I know you missed him but now you can become buddies again.” Seth was saying to Sammy while he was releasing the bar. “I know I Love you too little lady.” Seth said as Sammy looked at him neighing. “Ok let’s get you out of here.” Seth took hold of Sammy’s halter and attached the lead rope to it, then backed her out of the trailer. Seth handed over the lead rope to Hunter.

“She will be good for you.”

“She’s a nice looking horse Seth.” Hunter said. Seth smiled at Hunter and went back in the trailer.

Hunter started rubbing Sammy’s forehead talking real gentle to her to keep her calm while Seth went back in the trailer to get Sage. Seth backed Sage out then they walked the horses over to the barn. Hunter walked Sammy down the aisle way to the 4th stall door and stopped and turned to Seth saying “You can put him in the next one over, that way they can still smell each other’s scent and keep each other calm.”

Seth looked at Hunter smiling just standing there. “You ok Seth.” Hunter said snapping his fingers at Seth to get his attention.

“Ya, was just thinking about something.” Seth said and started walking Sage over to the next stall.

Seth got Sage in the stall and took his halter off and closed only the bottom half door so Sage could look out if he wanted to. Seth hung up Sage’s halter on the hook by the door and walked over to Sammy’s stall to see if Hunter was having any problems with her. Seth stood at the door and watched Hunter take Sammy’s halter off, rubbing her face talking quietly to her.

Hunter turned back facing the stall door and seen Seth standing there watching him “She is a real nice horse, love her coloring. Is she a dream to ride?” Hunter asked Seth walking to the stall door.

“Yep she sure is, I haven’t rode her for almost a year but she was nice to ride.” Seth said backing away from the door so Hunter can come out. Hunter hung up Sammy’s halter on the hook after closing the half door.

“Oh, you haven’t rode her for over a year, was she hurt?” Hunter asked.

“No, it’s a long story.” Seth said with a faraway look.

“Ok, I am going to go get them some hay just in case they are hungry, be right back.’ Hunter said and walked away from Seth.

Seth turned to Sammy’s stall door and went in to give them a little time together. Seth needed this with his head going in so many different directions right now. Seth started thinking of Hunter with that killer smile of his. He sure is one handsome man, the whole package was just right in all areas. Seth turned back to Sammy and started rubbing her down, “He is one handsome guy Sammy, and did you see those bright hazel eyes? I could get lost just looking in them.” Seth got out of those thoughts and started cleaning Sammy’s hoof’s out, getting her ready to ride later.

Hunter walked to the hay stack at the back end of the barn thinking that he would like to get to know Seth more. Hunter was so into a fog about Seth he didn’t hear Sam coming at him until he felt Sam bump into him. “What the hell Sam,” Hunter said looking at Sam like he wanted to hit back but knew not to.

“Well if you would watch were you are going, instead of day dreaming about getting into that guys pants.” Sam said smirking at Hunter pointing back at Seth.

“Sam, I am not going to respond to that, since you don’t know what you are talking about.” said Hunter looking at Sam.

“Ya sure, just hope you keep that crap behind closed doors, I don’t want to see it. Cody and Cal is going to get told the same thing, I am moving my bunk out here to the barn or over to the kitchen house if Tom doesn’t have a problem with it. I can’t believe that you have never told me that you’re gay. I told you about my life and I thought you did to, but I can see now that you didn’t tell me everything.” Sam told Hunter with a sad look.

“Sam, please you have to understand where I’m coming on this. It’s not something that you go around telling just anybody that you’re gay. I didn’t feel that you could handle knowing this. When we we’re at that table this morning and I told everybody, I looked at you when I said that I was gay and just the look on your face told me that you were disgusted with me.” Hunter said with tears in his eyes thinking he is losing a friend.

“I’m not a bigot, but I was not raised around men having sex with men. I’m sorry but I can’t wrap my head around it that you’re gay.” said Sam looking everywhere but at Hunter.

“I’m sorry to Sam, but I can’t change. I have known that I’m gay since I was 14 years old and I’m tired of keeping it hid. I can’t live in the closet anymore, I’m truly sorry.” Hunter said walking away from Sam. Hunter got the hay for Seth’s horses and went back to give it to them. As Hunter was walking back to the stalls, Seth was standing there in Sammy’s stall trying not to listen into the conversation that Hunter was having with another guy. They were getting kinda loud so it was hard not to hear it. Seth heard footsteps getting closer to the stall so he started acting like he was paying attention to Sammy so Hunter would not know he heard them talking.

“Here you go, does she like it hanging or on the ground. I can go get a hay bag if you need it.” Hunter asked walking up to the door.

“No that is fine, both can eat from the ground. Thanks,” Seth said taking the chip of hay from Hunter.

“I will go throw this chip to Sage then.” said Hunter

“Ok, thanks.” Seth said

Hunter gave the chip to Sage then told Seth “I am going to the kitchen house to talk to the cook.”

“Ok I’m going to stay here for a bit longer then go to the house to see my dad, so I will catch you later. Thanks for helping me with the horses.” said Seth with a big smile.

“No problem,” Hunter said then went out of the barn heading to the kitchen to see if Tom was there.

Seth sure hoped that Hunter batted his way, only one way to find out. Seth made sure Hunter left the barn then told Sammy “Bye, see ya later little lady.” Seth left her stall and went to the main house to check on his dad and to see if he could pick up anything about Hunter.

Hunter needed to talk to someone about what happened with Sam because he might have to watch his back with Sam. He walked in the kitchen and saw Tom sitting at the table peeling potatoes for dinner. “Tom can we talk for a minute, if you are not too busy?” he asked as he set down across from Tom at the table.

“I’m just sitting here peeling these potatoes so you guys can have fried tatters tonight. What did you need?” Tom looking up at Hunter.

“Sam just cornered me in the barn while I was in there helping Seth settle his horses in there stalls. What Sam said was not good and I think I’ll have to leave the ranch, and I think Cody and Cal will leave to when they get wind of Sam hating gay men.” Hunter said with watering eyes.

“Seth?” Tom said raising an eye brow at Hunter.

“Seth is Max’s son they just got here,” explained Hunter

“Oh, ok. Let me see if I can talk to Sam and figure him out before you do anything. You know Ed will not let you 3 go if Sam can’t handle you being gay. Sam will be the one to leave not any of you. So before you say or do anything let me talk to him.” Tom pleaded with Hunter.

“Ok thanks, I’m going to find Cody and Cal to let them know what is going on just in case they have a run in with Sam before you can talk to him. I really appreciate this Tom.” Hunter said standing up.

“You’re welcome, I don’t want any of you leaving this ranch so I will talk to him. I’ll see if I can get him to understand that you can’t change just because somebody doesn’t like gay men.” said Tom.

Hunter stood up and left to get one of the ATV’s to go find the guys, giving Cope a rest.

Ed and Max were sitting in the living room drinking some ice tea catching up on what has been happening in their lives. “So what happened when you told Seth about his horse?” Ed said.

“He had the biggest smile on his face and wanted to go see her but I told him that we will see her when we loaded her to come here. He gave me a hug and said thank you.” Max smiled at Ed.

“Can you tell me what is going on with this missing cattle crap? I don’t understand why the law can’t find the people stealing them. There has to be some kind evidence left behind to figure this out.” Max looked at Ed with a concern look on his face.

“Oh, there is tire tracks, which means an 18 wheeler was used to load them in. They cutback the wire on my jack fencing and knocked the wood down to get them off my property. They had the truck parked about 100 yards from the downed fence. They are doing this in the middle of the night so it has been hard to catch them in the act of doing it.” Ed said in a sad voice.

“I have two of my hands riding the property at night but the ranch is showing neglect since the guys that are on nights have to sleep in the daytime then I have the other hands try and do the night guys duties. I don’t have enough hands to do the duties and watch the ranch, it’s going to be that I call in the missionary guys to help. I don’t want to do that but I can’t afford to lose any more cattle and keep the ranch from going under.”

“Well there is going to be 6 more of us here to help you. Why don’t we put some of your men on nights with some of us and all the others do the ranch chores. It should not be that hard to keep an eye on the cattle and ranch.” Max explained.

“That would help but all of you can’t stay here that long since you have your own ranches to work. I don’t know how long this is going to take for the law to catch them assholes.”

“I have my ranch taken care. My foremen knows what to do and where to reach me if anything is needed. So I can stay for as long as you need me. We can talk to the others and see what they say but I know they have foremen on their ranches too. Why don’t you have one here Ed?”

“I have never needed a foreman, I always take care of what a foreman would around here. The expense of getting one is more than I can do right now. I have a big reserve to fall back on but I don’t want to cut into it for wages. As of right now I have to dig that to replace the cattle that were stolen. The insurance will take months to cut me a check since it’s still under investigation.”

“We can mention it to Steve and the others when they get here and see what they have to say.” Max said smiling at Ed.

About that time the front door opened and Seth walked in the living room to see his dad and Ed sitting there talking. “Do you want me to get our stuff out of the trucks dad?” Seth asked his dad.

“Ya I guess we can, if Ed will show us which rooms is ours.” Max said looking at Ed.

“Sure get your things and I will show you the way to the rooms.” Ed smiled at Seth.

Seth and Max walked out and returned with their bags and proceeded to walk upstairs to the rooms that Ed showed them. Max took the room with the double bed and Seth took the one with the twin beds. The rooms had the Jack and Jill style bathroom which didn’t bother them.

Seth went in his room to unpack and lay down for a bit, with not sleeping a lot so he was pretty tired. Seth told his dad that he was going to lay down and rest for a bit. He took his boots off and laid his head on the pillow wondering how he was going to find out information about Hunter. Seth’s phone started ringing, he reached over to the night stand where he put his phone. When Seth looked at the screen to see who it was he just shook his head and blew out a big puff of air groaning. “If you don’t stop calling I’m going to change this number, I told you to leave me alone….. I don’t give a shit what you want.” Seth listened to Tim talk for a sec and then all hell broke loose, Seth screamed into the phone “LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE. YOU ARE THE ONE THAT CHEATED ON ME NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. DON’T CALL ME AGAIN.” Seth hung up and dropped the phone on the bed. He looked up and saw his dad standing at the door, “I’m fine dad.”

“Seth if you want, the next time he calls let me talk to him. I don’t like you being this upset.” Max said with a worried look on his face.

“No dad I will take care of it, you don’t need to listen to his lies.” Seth said almost in tears.

“Ok, I am going downstairs to see if Ed needs help with anything.”

“Ok dad, I love you.”

“Love you to son.”

Seth put his head on the pillow with tears running down his cheeks crying himself to sleep.

Copyright © 2014 ShadowDancer; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Seth seems like a sweetie. I'm looking foward to hearing about his past and his horrible, cheating ex. ;)

 

I think Sam's an ass. Why is he moving rooms? is he afraid Hunter and C&C might hit on him? What's his problem?

 

This was a good chapter, Zandra. I look forward to the next one. :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 08/14/2013 09:00 AM, Lisa said:
Seth seems like a sweetie. I'm looking foward to hearing about his past and his horrible, cheating ex. ;)

 

I think Sam's an ass. Why is he moving rooms? is he afraid Hunter and C&C might hit on him? What's his problem?

 

This was a good chapter, Zandra. I look forward to the next one. :)

well what can i say about Sam without giving the plot away...nothing sorry..lol

Seth is a sweetie but Hunter could be one too...lol

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I think I've got Sam's number but I'll keep that to myself for the time being.

Seth seems like a lost puppy right now. You won't have him jumping into Hunter's arms too soon will ya. Rebounds can be quick and difficult. Although, Hunter, he seems a bit like a lost puppy himself just looking for someone to love him.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

There seems to be a mutual attraction between Seth and Hunter, but they still haven't figured out they are both gay.  Hunter did the right thing going to Tom for advice.  From Sam's comments I don't feel he will have a problem.  He seems confused and hurt because Hunter didn't tell him about being gay and Sam never expected that.  It is a reaction much like a best straight friend might have in similar situations.  Sam does declare that he is not a bigot, and there may be other reasons for wanting to move out of the bunkhouse.  Seth is sweet and I liked the way he treats his horse Sammy.  Now we know what happened that has made Max and Ed concerned about Seth.  Breaking up with Tim was not easy on Seth.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..