Jump to content
    ShadowDancer
  • Author
  • 2,168 Words
  • 5,334 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Big Sky - 1. Chapter 1 Hunter has a new life

BIG SKY

Chapter One

Hunter Has A New Life

 

 

 

Hunter always got up at the crack of dawn, way before anybody else did here on Big Sky Ranch, as he was stretching, laying there in his bunk just wondering what this day would bring. As he was getting his clothes on he was looking around for his boots, which somehow went under his bed he got them out and pulled them on.

The ranch hands had close to another hour before they had to get up, so Hunter was quiet as he could be leaving the bunkhouse. As he reached the door Luke the ranch cow dog was at the door wagging his tail and whining to be let out. “Hush it” Hunter said as he was opening the door.

Stepping out the door Hunter adjusted the hat on his head to block out the glare of the sun as it was peeking out over the horizon. As he was looking out at the open fields he started remembering a few years back about the home he grew up in, all the happy times with his family and friends but then he remember the bad times, and did not like what he was remembering. He shook his head to clear the images of the past, he had not thought about his parents in a real long time. He took the three steps down to the dirt path that led to the Kitchen house knowing that he was in real need of a strong cup of black coffee, he heard patting of feet coming his way, he looked behind him and saw Luke was running to catch up to him.

“Morning there Tom,” Hunter said nodding to the cook. “It is going to be another warm day out there.”

“The dang kitchen is already hot enough and the sun is not quit up yet. With no breeze in the air it is not going to get any better either.” Tom responded.

Hunter took the cup of black coffee from Tom, it was like this every morning. Tom’s first chore in mornings was making sure the coffee was on at a certain time, then starting breakfast for the ranch hands. As Hunter was drinking the coffee knowing that it would calm his nerves and give him the comfort he craves, he told Tom; “Give it a couple more months and it will start to cool down around here.”

Tom nodded looking around the kitchen; “That is not helping me right now when I could use the cooler weather. Have you and the boys got the fencing done yet?”

“Fencing is almost done, just a couple more days. Once it is completed we will be able to watch the cattle easier with all the cattle rustling going on around the area it is getting harder to keep track of them.” Hunter said as he was sitting down at the long table.

The Big Sky and the neighboring ranches have lost a lot cattle over the last couple of weeks, the rustlers are hitting the ranches at night so they can use the cover of darkness, only leaving broken fences and big tires tracks, which tells us they are using 18 wheelers to load the cattle in.

“I think this world is going LOCO,” Tom just shakes his head. “Basin Feed and Grain gets broken into and with all the cattle disappearing, this world is just going crazy.”

“Basin Feed?” said Hunter

“Ya, a couple nights ago a window was broken out and whoever it was got away with some tools and few other things, I am telling you now, somebody sure has this town on their radar.” said Tom.

“This Ranch is sure on somebody’s radar, with all the missing cattle Ed has put a few of the boys on night duty, they are using the horse’s at night because of the noise from the 4 wheelers, if anybody was out there they would be able to hear them a mile away .” replied Hunter.

“It is getting to be like in the old days, with all this cattle rustling going on. Sure as hell hope the Sheriff can get a handle on this and find out who is involved, before somebody gets hurt.” Tom said.

Hunter laughed at Tom. “You have to be joking, right. I bet Sheriff Louis and his deputies is involved in all the mess that is happening around here.”

Tom turned away from the stove and glared at Hunter. “Like it or not, they are the only law around here and you need to watch who you say that to, you would not look to good behind them jail cell bars.”

“That Sheriff likes to act all high and mighty behind that badge of his along with them deputies of his, but they all will get there just due’s. Tom where is my eggs and biscuits, I am very hungry this morning.” Hunter wanted to change the subject, he is very worried about what is happening on the ranch. With about 100 head of cattle missing and torn down fencing and not having any ideal really who is behind all this it is getting on Hunter's nerves.

“I am cooking it as fast as I can, hold your horse’s on buddy,” Tom smiled to Hunter, knowing Hunter did not want to talk about the cattle anymore.

After eating breakfast and drinking his 2 cups of coffee, Hunter stood up and told Tom thanks, walking out the door he saw the owner of Big Sky Edward Cook walking his way. That man always has that same look on his face, like he was not going to take crap from anyone today.

“Hunter, you are up early this morning which I like to see.” said Ed as he walked up to Hunter.

“Yep, with so much having to be done around here, sleeping in would never get it done.” Hunter grinned.

Ed was handing Hunter a folded piece of paper, “We need some supplies from town. Take one of the ranch trucks and go to Basin Feed and get what is on this list and tell Yancy to put it on the ranch account. When you get back get a couple of the boys to help you unload the supplies.”

Hunter said “ok, will do,” as he was looking at the list of items. Hunter stood there for a minute as Ed walked away, just thinking that Ed has always been a hard nose boss, Hunter has never seen him take anybody’s bullshit, when Ed tells you to do something you had better get up and do it, with no questions asked. When Ed hires anybody to work on his ranch you had better know what you are doing, or you are hitting the long highway. When Hunter started working for Ed, he was a little green when he got to the ranch but Ed took a liking to him and taught him what he did not know, after they had a sit down and Hunter told him about being kicked out of his parents’ house. He had come up with a story to explain to people why he was kicked out and to this day everybody has believed it. This is Hunter's home now. As Hunter went from ranch to ranch over the past 8 years looking for work Hunter felt like he never belonged there, 4 years ago when Hunter came across the notice for a ranch hand in Montana he left Texas for good.

Thinking back on a dark time in his life, he was only 17, Bobby was the only close friend he had. They met in high school and had been very close friends. The two of them had just come back from a long ride on the horse’s and was putting them in the barn, they never thought they would get caught so the two slipped into one of the empty stalls. As Hunter was latching the stall door Bobby was unbuckling his belt and dropping his pants to his knees, Hunter turned around and got an eye full of Bobby, which he enjoyed seeing since Bobby was a very handsome boy. As Hunter was taking his pants and boots off Bobby finished taking his off, Hunter went over and stood in front of Bobby looking into his eyes and seen the love that they have shared for almost a year, Hunter dropped to his knees and took Bobby’s already hard cock into my mouth. As Hunter was sucking Bobby’s cock they both froze as they heard the latch being lifted and all of a sudden the stall door flew open.

“What the hell is going on in here,” screamed Hunter’s dad. “Bobby get dressed and get the hell out of here and never show your face around here again, and I will be making a call to your parents about this. Hunter get your clothes on and get to your room right now, you two disgust me by what I just saw you doing.”

Bobby got dressed, looked over at Hunter with tears running down his face, he mouthed to Hunter “I Love You” as he ran out of the barn. Just knowing he was going to be in big trouble with his parents.

Hunter got dressed and ran out of the barn as fast as he could, when he got to his room he opened his door and his dad was standing by his window looking out. “You are no longer my son, I don’t know you anymore. Get what clothes you can carry and get the hell out of my house and never come back, you are very lucking I am even letting you take the clothes that I bought you. You are a disappointment to me, how could you even think I would want a queer for a son, I thought me and your mother brought you up better than this.” yelled his dad.

Hunter just stood there looking at his dad, his mom was at his bedroom door with a shocked look on her face. He packed what he could, as he was walking out of his bedroom door his mom asked him “What is going on here Hunter?” Hunter just looked at her and shook my head. “He is no longer living in this house and I will explain everything to you later Martha, just let the kid go he is a disgrace to this family.”

“But where is he going? He is our only son, you cannot just kick him out with no money.” yelled Martha.

“I will not have this boy living in my home while he has sex with another boy, it is not right and he knows it.” Bill told Martha. Martha just looked at her son with an evil look and turned away from him.

Hunter walked for miles until he found a safe place to lay down, he used his backpack as a pillow and laid down and closed his eyes crying to sleep. Hunter woke up the next morning stiff and sore as hell, his feet and legs were killing him. He had to empty his bladder so he took a whizz by the tree were he slept and headed back to the road and started walking again. Hunter made it as far as the next town and hitched a ride with a trucker. The driver told Hunter he was going as far as the panhandle and that he could hitch a ride with him if he wanted to, Hunter told the driver he would like that and thanks.

Hunter worked at a few ranches in the area for a couple years, he saved what he could of his money so he could buy himself a vehicle to make it a lot easier to leave if he had too. When Hunter was in town one day he found a help wanted notice on a bulletin board, but the job was listed in Montana. Hunter called on the job and liked what he heard from the owner, he went back to the ranch he was working at and packed his belongings and left Texas for good.

“Hey Hunter, what is going on man?” asked Mike, bringing Hunter back to the present time, Mike is one of youngest hands on the ranch and one of the newest ones here.

“Getting ready to head into town for supplies that Ed needs, why you up so early? Thought you young things liked to sleep in!” Hunter smirked at Mike.

“Who gave you funny pills this morning? Did the cook put something funny in your breakfast?” Mike said jabbing Hunter in the ribs.

“If you need help, I could go in town with you, I’m free right now since I am on guard duty tonight.”

“Sure I could use the help, we are taking one of the ranch trucks so go pile in and we can leave.” said Hunter.

Copyright © 2014 ShadowDancer; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

This is a good beginning; I like cowboy stories with authentic action! I can't wait to see more. If I could make one suggestion it would be to check out the punctuating dialogue topic in our Writer's Corner. It is pinned near the top of the forum and has all sorts of easy to understand rules and discussion on properly punctuating dialogue and narration depending on what you're writing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I agree with Cia nice start to the story. A little bit of background on Hunter as well as some intrigue and mystery with cattle rustling and break ins. Looking forward to more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2013 04:03 AM, Cia said:
This is a good beginning; I like cowboy stories with authentic action! I can't wait to see more. If I could make one suggestion it would be to check out the punctuating dialogue topic in our Writer's Corner. It is pinned near the top of the forum and has all sorts of easy to understand rules and discussion on properly punctuating dialogue and narration depending on what you're writing.
thanks for the insight Cia, will check that out and thank you for leaving a review for my first story
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2013 04:23 AM, Daithi said:
I agree with Cia nice start to the story. A little bit of background on Hunter as well as some intrigue and mystery with cattle rustling and break ins. Looking forward to more.
Thanks Daithi more to come on Hunter
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2013 04:23 AM, joann414 said:
Good start. You've a nice plot and interesting set of characters so far.
Them are cowboy's honey, lol. there will be more to come of them COWBOY's, thanks for the comment
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Interesting story so far, Zandra. I like the cast of COWBOYS, lol. =)

 

I did want to point out though, that you started to change tenses when Hunter was thinking back to when he was seventeen. The tense changed to the first person when you wrote "I" instead of "Hunter". Even in the same sentence it went from "Hunter" to "I".

 

Just thought you would want to know so you can fix it. It does detract from the story.

 

I'm stil looking forward to the second chapter, though. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2013 06:34 AM, Lisa said:
Interesting story so far, Zandra. I like the cast of COWBOYS, lol. =)

 

I did want to point out though, that you started to change tenses when Hunter was thinking back to when he was seventeen. The tense changed to the first person when you wrote "I" instead of "Hunter". Even in the same sentence it went from "Hunter" to "I".

 

Just thought you would want to know so you can fix it. It does detract from the story.

 

I'm stil looking forward to the second chapter, though. :)

ok changed, but i am a little confused so i read the whole thing again and changed some "he" to Hunter, but don't if i should have. Hope i get the hang of this writing :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Very intriguing. I am excited to learn more about Hunter. And how the other hands treat him. And why is Big Sky being targeted...

Great start! Keep it up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2013 11:20 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Very intriguing. I am excited to learn more about Hunter. And how the other hands treat him. And why is Big Sky being targeted...

Great start! Keep it up.

Thank you Cole, Hunter is going to be going thur a lot of things in his life, hope you stick around to find out :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Interesting story. I think I read a few of your stories before. I like how you are beginning the plot for this story, although you hae included only a few details. At least you let us know about Hunter's life before ranching. I'll look forward to reading more chapters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Good western stories are hard to find on GA.  I am hopeful, because this story is off to a good start.  Your development of Hunter is very good and I like that you have introduced some of the crew and the owner.  Also, the beginning of the plot is sufficient to intrigue me as I also love mysteries.  I'm looking forward to reading this story.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..