Jump to content
    ShadowDancer
  • Author
  • 3,691 Words
  • 3,292 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Big Sky - 6. Chapter 6 Hunter looking for True Love

BIG SKY

Chapter 6

Hunter Looking for True Love

 

Ed woke up with Martha wrapped in his arms, loving just being able to wake up with her here. She had been his wife for just over twenty years now. He knows that she loves him but it’s always in the back of his mind, that it was his fault that they couldn’t have children. Ed starting thinking back about how he became sterile, then shook his head real hard to get the thoughts out of his head, he doesn’t like going back to that one awful day in his life.

Ed unwrapped himself from Martha and got out of bed without trying to wake her up knowing he had a lot to do before Max and the rest of his friends get there. Martha woke up anyways as Ed was getting out of bed.

“Hun, is everything ok,” Martha asked sleepily rubbing her eyes.

“Yes, going to go jump in the shower, need to get that meeting with the men over before the guys start showing up today.” Ed said to Martha as he was walking to the bathroom.

“Ok, I’ll going to go downstairs and start breakfast for us.” Martha told Ed getting out of bed putting on her robe. Martha went in and brushed her teeth and went downstairs after giving Ed a kiss.

Ed was in the shower thinking of the discussion that he had to have with his hands. He was trying to figure out how he could say what needed to be said and not out Hunter. That young man has grown on Ed and he didn’t want to hurt him. Ed snapped out of his thoughts and finished his shower before the water turned cold on him.

Ed got dressed and went downstairs to eat breakfast with Martha. He walked in the kitchen, seeing that Martha had everything on the table he set down and started filling his plate. Martha set down across from Ed and fixed her plate, she looked over at Ed and asked, “Which and how many of the men are coming, I need to know so I can make sure the rooms are ready for them.”

“Ya, I guess you do need to know!” Ed was laughing when he said that. “Let’s see we have Max and Seth, they will be here before noon. Steve and Mark will be here before dinner. They said that they have something important to tell all of us, and no I don’t know so don’t ask me. Jack and Lee said they will be here but they don’t know what time they can leave Billings, but that they will be here before dark, and to not wait on them for dinner they will get something on the way here. So that is six of them so that would still leave one bedroom open.” Ed said with a smile on his face.

“Ok, I will get the rooms ready for them, then I have to go into town for food to feed all you men.” Martha told Ed. Both of them finished breakfast in silence since Ed was thinking about the meeting and Martha was thinking on what she needed from town.

Ed was coming out the back door as Hunter and Sam was riding into the yard, Hunter called over to Ed. “Ed can I talk to you for a sec?”

“What can I do for you Hunter, I was just heading over to the kitchen to try and catch all the men before they disappeared.” Ed said to Hunter walking up to him and Cope.

“I found this while Sam and I were out in the east pasture and to let you know that the well house looks like it might need to be checked out, it’s running slow.” Hunter said, then handed Ed a shell casing that he thinks was from last night’s shooting.

Ed was looking at it then he looked back up at Hunter saying, “It looks like a 30/30 but I will call the sheriff and give it to him so he can check it out.”

“Ed wait on doing that please, I need to talk to you about a few things that might change your mind about calling the sheriff.” Hunter said. Ed looked at Hunter and just shook his in the positive.

Hunter looked over at Sam, “Let’s go to the barn and unsaddle then go to the kitchen so Ed can get this meeting with us over.”

As Hunter and Sam went to the barn to take care of their horses. Ed finished walking over to the kitchen house. Ed walked in the door and saw all the men there sitting at the long table drinking a cup of coffee, well except Hunter and Sam and they will be there in a bit. “Good morning, don’t leave yet,” Ed said as some of the men were getting up from the table. “Hunter and Sam will be here in a bit then I have to talk to ya’ll together.” Ed got him a cup of coffee and set down at the table next to Cody. “After this meeting Cody I need you and another to go out to the well house and see if there is anything wrong. Hunter just told me it is running slow.” Ed said to Cody.

“Did he say if he looked at it, need to know what tools to take, if any?” Cody said looking at Ed.

Ed said to Cody “No he didn’t say, ask him and go see what the problem is and let me know what you find.”

“Ok” Cody responded.

Hunter and Sam walked in and got a cup of coffee and set down at the table waiting on Ed to start talking. “Ok now that everybody is here. I’m sure you have noticed that Mike isn’t here on the ranch, I fired him yesterday and he will not be back. If any of you see him on this ranch let me know. I see Butch that you are looking better.” Ed said looking over at Butch.

“Ya I am, thanks.” Butch said to Ed with a little smile.

“Good, ok then I have some friends coming in today. They are coming to visit but I am putting them to work while they are here.” Ed laughed. “They will be helping with some of the work here but also helping at night watching the ranch. This way it will ease up on you men so ya’ll can do what has to be done before all this cattle crap. They are bringing their horses with them so I need one of you to make sure some of the stalls are ready for them.” Ed looked at Butch. “Butch I know you didn’t want to say anything with me out there by that tree when we found you, but I saw the look you gave Hunter when he asked if you knew who it was. I need to know what happened out there with you so we will all know what or who to watch out for.” Ed asked.

“Well getting hit with something was true as you can see, but what I didn’t tell you is who did it.” Butch looked at all the guys and said. “Like I already told you I heard the yelling and went to see what it was about, as I was riding over there I saw Nick coming towards me on a horse. I could not understand what he was trying saying to me. I didn’t see or hear anybody behind me so I stopped to see what Nick was doing out there on your property Ed and then the next thing I knew is when I woke up on the ground. I didn’t see who it was that hit me from behind.” Butch said looking at Ed.

“Do any of you know why Nick would be out there on my property? I am going to need a couple of you to check that area over and see if the is any damage, we don’t have to worry about the cattle getting loose. Butch are you able to ride again?” Ed asked Butch looking at him.

“I don’t see a problem with it, I will just take some Tylenol instead of the pain meds that Doc gave me. I don’t know why Nick would be out there, that is what I was trying to find out.” Butch smiled at Ed talking.

Ed looked over at Hunter shaking his head “Hunter you gave me that shell a little bit ago, did you see anybody last night?”

“Like I had already told you, all I heard was a vehicle starting up and leaving.” Hunter said.

“Ok, then tell me why you don’t want me to go to the sheriff about all the recent incidents that has happened here.” Ed asked Hunter.

Hunter looked at Ed “I talked to Butch this morning about what he just told all of us about Nick. I have been in town a few times in the last two weeks and I have seen Mike and Nick talking to the sheriff, and they were heated talks from what I saw. So with what happened to Butch and what he said, what happened last night and with Mike asking me all kinds of question the last few days about what I know about the missing cattle. I believe Mike, Nick and the sheriff are involved somehow with the cattle problems all you ranchers are having.”

“Tell me what kind of questions he was asking you.” Ed said to Hunter.

“Mike was asking a lot of questions, he wanted to know if you talked to any other law people about the missing cattle, if I knew who could be behind the missing cattle. He was just asking weird questions about if I knew anything about the missing cattle, which I didn’t so I told him I didn’t.” Hunter told Ed.

“Ok, I won’t say anything to the sheriff yet, we will keep quiet on what has happened and what we all know on this ranch. So keep everything to yourselves you men and not a word to anybody not working on this ranch.” Ed said then looked at Hunter and raised an eye brow at him.

“Hunter,” Ed said.

Hunter is hoping on what he is about to tell the guys that it doesn’t backfire on him but it needs to be said before any of them hears about it around town. “I need to say something to all you guys while everybody is in one place so I only have to say this once.” Hunter said and looked at Ed and saw a smile on his face. “MMMM, I got kicked out of my parents’ house when I was 17 and I went from ranch to ranch in Texas for work, until I came across a notice that Ed was hiring here in Montana so when I called Ed he had me come out and as you can see was hired. What I didn’t tell him was why I wanted to leave Texas. Well yesterday I found out he has known for over a year why I wanted out of Texas. Then when I went in town yesterday Mike went with me, as you all know. What you don’t know is that he is bi-sexual which I found out on the way back to the ranch. What I am trying to say is that I’M GAY, and like I told Ed yesterday if this was going to cause any problems on this ranch or with you guys I would leave.” Hunter said with a scared look on his face.

“Is this going to cause any problem with you guys?” Ed asked looking at each of the men with a stern look on his face.

All the men said “NO”, or Hunter had thought all of them said no.

Cody looked over at Cal and shook his head at him with a smile on his face. Hunter was looking at Cody wondering what was going on. “Cody what is going on?” Hunter asked.

Cody looked at Hunter then back to Cal. Cal smiled at Cody “Well I can see Ed and the rest of you don’t have a problem with Hunter. So I think I can say this and don’t have to worry about getting the shit knocked out of me. I have known that I am gay since I was 13 and my parents did the same thing Hunter’s did but I had an uncle I could go to that is gay too, so he raised me and made sure I went to school, my uncle gave me good life that I would have not had with my parents being bigots.” Cody looked back over at Cal, Cal was looking at Cody with a big smile on his face and shaking his head up and down. “Now that I just got the ok to say this, I want ya’ll to know me and Cal are partners and have been for about 2 weeks now.” Cody said smiling over at Cal. “So Hunter I am happy that you came out to us, that sure helped me saying what I just did.” Cody looked at Hunter, both of them stood and shook hands. Hunter looked over at Cal waiting for him to stand up. Cal stood up and took Hunter hand mouthing “Thank you” to Hunter. Hunter nodded his head and set down.

“Cody, Cal and you Hunter I’m getting a feeling we might have to change the sleeping arrangements around here. So what I’m thinking is we might remodel the bunkhouse and put some walls up to make bedrooms instead of just one big open room. That way everybody will have their privacy. I will check on this and let everybody know if this can happen.

“So ya’ll know I don’t have a problem with gay men, Martha dosen’t either. The men that are coming in today are partners and have been for a very long time, well except one.” Ed said laughing. “These men are my ex-military buddies, ya’ll will get along just fine with them, they are great guys. Cody take Cal and go check out the well house, Butch you and Buck go out to the west pasture and check that area over and please be extra careful call if you need anything. Sam check on them stalls for me please 6 in all. Hunter stick around the yard please.” Ed said getting up from the table. “Oh crap one more thing, I don’t want to see anybody leave this ranch by themselves, when you ride away from the yard area someone is to go with you. If I see somebody out by themselves you will have stall duty for a week. So let’s get back to work.” Ed walked out the door.

Hunter stayed at the table until Ed walked out then said “I really hope what ya’ll said earlier is true and you don’t have a problem with homosexual guys. I know it may be awkward sleeping in one big room with me now but nothing has to change. I don’t goggle at any of you, and Cody and Cal sure knows how to keep it a secret because I never caught on that they are gay.” Hunter said looking at Cody and Cal with a smile on his face. “Please tell me now without Ed here if there is going to be a problem with me staying here and working along beside any of you.” Hunter said looking at all the guys one at a time. “Tom I need to know please.”

“Hunter I had you figured out a long time ago, I have a nephew that is gay so I know a little bit in what to look for. To answer you, no I don’t and I will stand beside you for however long you are here.” Tom said looking at Hunter smiling.

“Buck, Sam, Butch please say something, I have worked with all of you side by side for a very long time, I know I think of us as friends so I’m hoping ya’ll do as well.” Hunter said looking at each one with a sad look on his face. “Buck come on man.”

“I don’t know what to think right now, it is a shock to me. I never would have guessed you being gay, from the way you act and carry yourself I would have never known. I don’t have any friends that are gay that I know of, so it is as of right now I don’t see a problem. I know I am your friend and yes we have had talks about a lot of things, and I enjoy working beside you here on the ranch. That’s about all I can say right now.” Buck said looking at Hunter with a little smile.

Hunter stood up and reached across the table with his hand out to Buck. Buck looked at Hunter’s hand and shook it with a smile.

Hunter looked at Butch waiting to see if he was going to say something. Knowing that Butch keeps a lot bottled in and don’t talk a lot to anybody here on the ranch. “I don’t really have a problem with it Hunter so we are cool.” Butch said.

“OK thanks man, I hope we can stay friends.” Hunter said and shook Butch’s hand.

Hunter looked at Sam with a sad look on his face, with a feeling in his heart this was not going to be good. Sam had the lost look on his face and Hunter was scared he was going to lose a friend out of this.

“Sam” Hunter said looking to Sam.

As Hunter got Sam attention, Luke started barking his head off outside. Everybody got up from the table and took off to the door to see what was going on. When they got out on the porch they all saw two trucks and a horse trailer coming up the drive. Sam took off for the barn to get the stalls ready for the horses, Cody and Cal went to the barn to saddle their horses to go out to the pasture to check on the well house, which Hunter said that it was moving slower than normal when he was out there this morning looking around. Tom went back in the Kitchen house to make some more coffee and start preparing dinner. Hunter and Buck just looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders. Butch looked at Hunter and smiled saying “It will all be ok.”

Hunter nodded at Butch as he was leaving the porch. “I am going to the bunkhouse to get a couple things done then head out to the west pasture.” Buck turned and patted Hunter on the shoulder as he was stepping off the porch.

Hunter was standing there on the porch watching the trucks come to a stop in front of the main house. An older man got out of the truck that was hauling the horse trailer, Ed came out of the house as the older man was walking to the other truck, Ed walked up to the older man and shook his hand. “Hi Max, you have any problems on your way here?” Ed asked.

“No not at all Ed, the horses did great but I’m sure they want out of the trailer.” Max said laughing.

“Good, we can get them out. I have a couple of guys checking on the stalls for you to put them in, they might be ready now.” Ed said.

“OK, have the others shown up yet?” Max asked.

“No, Steve and Mark will be here before dinner and Jack and Lee have to get some things done before they leave so it will be after dinner before they show up.” Ed told Max.

“Max I see Seth decided to come, how is he doing?” asked Ed.

“He seems fine, but he has not said a whole lot to me in the last couple days. So I am letting him have his space for right now, he knows he can come to me if and when he wants to talk.” Max said to Ed.

“Good, the fresh air and being away will be good for him. Since all the guys are out doing something, I will try and pull the hands all together in the morning so I can introduce ya’ll to them then.” Ed said.

“That will be fine.” Max said as he got to Seth’s truck.

As Hunter was still standing on the porch, the guy that was in the other truck opened the door and got out taking his cowboy hat off and running his fingers through his hair, then put the cowboy hat back on. When the guy turned to shake Ed’s hand Hunter got a good look at him, “OH MY GOD” Hunter whispered to himself, then Hunter felt the familiar clench in his gut, the hot flow of blood to his damned cock. Hunter just keep thinking that this guy was gorgeous with that blond hair, broad shoulders and slim waist. Something must have got the guy’s attention because Hunter saw him turn in his direction, his eyes assessed him and Hunter wondered what he was thinking with the intense gaze this gorgeous hunk was giving him. Hunter gave a slight smile with his eye’s going wide, the hunk turned and Hunter got a real good look of them tight wranglers on his ass. Hunter could do nothing but just stand there and stare breathing a little harder and his dick swelling to the point that it was going split the zipper.

 

 

NOTE: Who is Nick? Will Sam come to terms with Hunter? Is Hunter right about the sheriff? What about Buck’s comment? OMG there is a lot questions hanging out there to get answered, come back and see if some of those questions get answered in the next chapter ……lol……enjoy reading

Copyright © 2014 ShadowDancer; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

At least with all the mess about the missing cattle, Butch and Cisco getting hurt and Hunter getting shot at, Hunter has some eye candy to look at now. lol

 

I had a feeling Ed's friends were all partnered up b/c he put two in a room and the way he said the partners sounded like the guys were "together, together", not just together, you know? Did that even make sense? lol

 

I was pleasantly surprised about Cal and (shit, I forgot his name, sorry. I know it begins with a "C" also...), so now Hunter doesn't have to feel alone.

 

Now that I'm all caught up, you need to update Zandra! :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 08/11/2013 05:22 AM, Lisa said:
At least with all the mess about the missing cattle, Butch and Cisco getting hurt and Hunter getting shot at, Hunter has some eye candy to look at now. lol

 

I had a feeling Ed's friends were all partnered up b/c he put two in a room and the way he said the partners sounded like the guys were "together, together", not just together, you know? Did that even make sense? lol

 

I was pleasantly surprised about Cal and (shit, I forgot his name, sorry. I know it begins with a "C" also...), so now Hunter doesn't have to feel alone.

 

Now that I'm all caught up, you need to update Zandra! :)

LOL...glad you like the story so far...going to post a side story about Seth before he shows up at the ranch, hope you read it b/c it will give you and everybody a little insight about him. I'm thinking i will be putting in more about Cody and Cal...lol add a little more spice to the story. thanks for the comments and reading the story
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Omg. I just bumped into this story and had to catch up. All caught up now lets go! Side note, I have always loved the name Seth. I can't wait to see what happens now. mmmm cowboys in leather and what not. Oh damn. My silly halo slipped off again. And as for Cody and Cal addition, yes please, as soon as possible please.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hahaha. Carrie, your not the only one who likes the name, Seth. That name conjures up a certain image in my mind that I won't get into here. (still snickering)

 

My goodness, Zandra, not one - not two - but nine gay cowboys - and one Bi sexual cowboy - so far. What the heck is your world coming to anyway? As you've written it, doesn't seem like a person could throw a stick without hitting one. Not saying that that is such a bad thing, the world could use more gay cowboys.

 

Unless you're going to cover Seth's background bit by bit within the story throughout later chapters, I'm all for learning more about him. So, I encourage a side-story wholeheartedly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/14/2013 10:38 AM, Ron said:
Hahaha. Carrie, your not the only one who likes the name, Seth. That name conjures up a certain image in my mind that I won't get into here. (still snickering)

 

My goodness, Zandra, not one - not two - but nine gay cowboys - and one Bi sexual cowboy - so far. What the heck is your world coming to anyway? As you've written it, doesn't seem like a person could throw a stick without hitting one. Not saying that that is such a bad thing, the world could use more gay cowboys.

 

Unless you're going to cover Seth's background bit by bit within the story throughout later chapters, I'm all for learning more about him. So, I encourage a side-story wholeheartedly.

Ron there is a side story on Seth the title is "Seth" under Big Sky story
  • Like 1
Link to comment

A cavalry of gay soldiers have arrived to save the day.  Interesting that Hunter has an attraction to Seth, the one that arrived without a partner.  The big reveal was bigger than expected.  For the most part the cowboys don't have a problem.  It has lead to Ed deciding to make some improvements to the bunk house.  I do wonder about Sam's reaction.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..