Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Bernard: Diary of a 46-yr-old Bellhop - 14. Chapter 14

Chapter 14: New Leaves

 

July 23rd. A week had passed since the fight. Bernard kept most of his stuff over at Jack’s in the hopes of returning soon. Nothing new had happened on that front except a barrage of text messages and emails stating how sorry he was.

Fortunately, his work life improved, however. Bernard was perusing the newspaper on his break and saw a huge ad for a brand new hotel opening up 80 miles away. It was a 5-star chain, known as the Regent. It was owned by the same company he currently worked for; so no loss of his pension earnings. Bernard practically drooled! It would be the most opulent and luxurious hotel in the region!

With things being as they were Bernard dared himself to pick up the phone and call the human resources hotline and left a message.

I hope this wasn’t a mistake! He wished.

The following day, the department called back. They wanted to speak with him right away!

Bernard went to an interview the following day and met with the director of the hotel, Mr. Lane Dyson. They saw his years of experience as a bellhop and asked him if he wanted to be so much more than that. Bernard answered, “Yes! Very much. I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. I’ll do whatever it takes to move up.”

The director excused himself for a moment and came back with a packet of requirements for managerial employees.

“You complete all of these items, and we can get you in on the ground floor of something huge, Mr. Covington.”

Bernard flipped through the information. It involved lots of schooling and even some volunteer work, but he was willing.

“I can do this.” He said with confidence.

“Excellent. In the meantime, if you’d like to transfer over to our hotel, we’d be honored to have you. We can start you out as lead bellhop. Comes with the full benefits you already enjoy plus some extra perks. Oh, and it’d be nearly double your current pay, plus tips.”

Bernard’s mind whirled with possibilities. He pictured finally being able to get a house of his own, pay off his medical bills, and live a happy life. He’d have his mother and sister and niece or nephew over all the time. But what about Jack? How would he fit in if at all? He couldn’t leave the hospital that he loved or sell his house in the current market. It’d have to be a simple matter of choosing between the job and Jack.

“Thank you, Mr. Dyson. You’ve given me a lot to think about. How soon would you need to know by?”

“The sooner the better, but I know how Reed is. He won’t let you go without a fight. I’ll make it worth his while, and yours.”

 

* * * *

A Birthday to Remember

August 5th. Bernard and Brenda’s 47th birthday! He’d kept in touch with Jack and called him up that afternoon.

“Hey, Jack. Just wanted to let you know my mom is throwing me and my sister a party at her place this evening. It starts at 6, but we’ll have cake at 7. You’re invited of course. I’d sure like to see you. It feels like a million years since I’ve seen you. I miss you like crazy! I hope you’ll come! Gotta go, I love you. Bye.”

 

Bernard arrived at his mother’s house at 6 p.m. for dinner. He looked fresh-faced and happy for once. Molly hugged him enthusiastically.

“Wow, look at you, baby! Happy Birthday! You’re looking very handsome!”

“Thanks, Mom! I had to buy a new outfit. All of my other clothes were too big. I’m tired of hiding in them.”

“Well, you look very nice.”

“Thanks.”

Another voice broke through the joyous feeling. “Hey, bro! Lookin’ good!” Brenda said with a smile. “Didn’t I tell you tweed was your style?”

“Hey! Happy Birthday, sis! Yes, you sure did. Thanks, sis!” he embraced her warmly.

“Happy Birthday to you too, twin! How are you feeling today? Did you call him?” she asked in a hushed tone.

“I left a message, but he hasn’t called me back yet. Come on, let’s eat. We’re not getting any younger and I’m starving!”

“So am I, eating for two, ya know!” Brenda added.

 

Surprisingly, Jack did show up to the party, albeit he wasn’t alone. In his car was an empty bottle of Jack Daniels.

He walked up the small house and rang the doorbell six times in a row. Molly hurried to the door.

“I’m comin’, I’m comin’!” She saw Jack and was taken aback by his slovenly appearance. Gone was the debonair doctor that had charmed her from the beginning. Now, nearly a year later, the handsome doctor had morphed into an unkempt, unshaven, unattractive person.

“Molly? Good to see ya!” He slurred. Molly recognized the speech right away. She slipped outside the door, grabbed his arm and walked him over to the corner.

“How dare you come to my kids’ party like this! What the hell’s the matter with you?”

“Aw come on, Molly! It’s a party! Let’s have some fun!”

His breath permeated the summer air and Molly waved the putrid smell away from her nose as quickly as possible.

“What the hell you been drinkin’, boy?”

“Just a little fire water to spice things up. Come on, where’s the birthday boy and girl? I want to say hello!”

Molly ran in front of him. “You aren’t welcome in my house you fraud! You’re a damn drunk! Get the hell off my property!”

Bernard and Brenda heard their mother yelling outside and went to see what all the commotion was. Bernard opened up the door and saw his mother holding back Jack from entering. He stopped in his tracks.

“Jack? Is that you?”

“Hey, hon! How are you?” Jack tried to run over to him, but was stopped.

“You stay the hell away from my boy! You hear me?”

Bernard pushed his way past his mother and hugged Jack warmly, but stood back and took in the appearance of the man he loved more than anything. “What the hell happened to you? I thought you stopped drinking!”

“Yep, well Jack and I had other plans.”

“Jack?” Brenda asked. “Oh shit, you mean Jack Daniels, don’t ya?”

“Bingo!” Jack replied with a cheesy grin.

Bernard shook his head, stepped away from his boyfriend, took Brenda’s hand and stepped back inside. “Come on sis, Mom is takin’ care of this…intrusion. I’m sorry I even invited him. How dare you come here to my mama’s house blazing drunk!”

“Hey, at least I came!”

“Well, you can just leave. Go home, Jack. I had no idea you could get this bad. Sure had me fooled.”

“I’m not leaving without you, Bernard! I love you!” Jack shouted. “It’s your birthday and I’m gonna celebrate it with you one way or another!”

Bernard began to walk towards the man again, but his mother pulled him aside for a second. “Don’t go back to him, baby. Your granddaddy was the same way! My mama stuck with him and got the shit beat outta her every night!”

Jack scowled at Molly. “I’d never hurt him in a million years, he knows that!”

“Yes, I know that you’d never hit me, but what about everything else? Jack, I wanna believe you!”

“Then come home!” He knelt to the ground and threw himself at Bernard’s shoes.

Molly shook her head. “He ain’t going nowhere with you!”

Bernard saw Jack sobbing and his heart felt like it would beat out of his chest. He turned to his mother and sister. “I gotta take care of him. I love him! Please…hold out some cake for me? I’ll call you later.” He knelt down to Jack and pulled him up off the ground. “Get up, baby. Time to get home.” Jack stood up and brushed himself off a bit. “I’m in no condition to drive…”

“I know, we’ll take my car.” They walked over to Bernard’s vehicle and drove away.

2010, S. L. Danielson
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Bernard is finally getting his life in order, is looking forward a promotion and a chance to start a new life and has good relationship with his sister. He´s still in love with Jack and Jack is in a very bad way. Wonder how much Bernard feels he´s responsible for Jack? Can he leave him behind if Jack won´t stop drinking? Jack says he won´t hurt Bernard, but he already has hurt him. Not physically but words hurt too. Since Jack is drinking again, he most likely (and hopefully) has lost his job, no-one wants a drunken doctor.

 

You really don´t let your characters have an easy life :P

Link to comment
On 03/30/2014 10:11 PM, Suvitar said:
Bernard is finally getting his life in order, is looking forward a promotion and a chance to start a new life and has good relationship with his sister. He´s still in love with Jack and Jack is in a very bad way. Wonder how much Bernard feels he´s responsible for Jack? Can he leave him behind if Jack won´t stop drinking? Jack says he won´t hurt Bernard, but he already has hurt him. Not physically but words hurt too. Since Jack is drinking again, he most likely (and hopefully) has lost his job, no-one wants a drunken doctor.

 

You really don´t let your characters have an easy life :P

Nope, life is never easy; so that's reflected in my books for sure. Bernard finally has things in order; but it's Jack that has become the issue.

Hehe, drunken doctor...no one likes those. They'd likely put him on suspension.

They have a mess for sure.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..