Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Bernard: Diary of a 46-yr-old Bellhop - 7. Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Attn: B Covington

 

November 21st, one week after the two had become lovers; Jack came over to visit on his day off. Bernard greeted him warmly at the door.

“Hey, baby!” They hugged and Bernard invited him inside.

Jack put his arm around his boyfriend’s broad shoulders. “So, how’s my man today?”

Bernard groaned loudly. “Ugh, don’t ask. Things are not exactly great. Can I get you a drink or anything?”

Jack shook his head. “No thank you. So, what’s going on, hon?”

Bernard walked over to the breakfast bar and picked up a large stack of paper and slapped them down on the coffee table in front of Jack, startling him.“This is what’s got me all fired up. Damn insurance covered lab work and part of the hospital stay, but not everything. Only about 80%. I owe $5,000!”

Jack reached for his hand and tried to calm him. “Don’t you have an out-of-pocket maximum?”

“Yes, $5,000. This’ll take it all. Good thing next year isn’t that far off. Better stay healthy!”

Jack rubbed his clean-shaven chin and frowned. His gray eyes looked up at the angry man. “Can you pay it?”

Bernard rubbed his eyes to stave off the coming migraine. “No I can’t pay it! I barely scrape by as it is. What the hell am I gonna do?”

“Move in with me.” Jack quickly countered in a dead serious tone.

Bernard walked closer and cupped his ears. His mouth gaped open. “My hearing must be going now. Did you just say what I think you said?”

Jack laughed gently and stood up. “Oh, Bern. You are such a trip. You heard me. Move in with me. That way you won’t have rent or separate utility payments. You can make arrangements with the hospital finance office. I can help you out too.” He tried to take Bernard’s hands, but was denied. “What’s wrong?”

The older man shook his head and looked away. “Jack, I-I can’t ask you to do that. I owe you so much already.”

The brunette walked over and captured Bernard’s large hands into his own and kissed them. “Dammit, baby. Don’t you understand what you mean to me yet? You’ve been the only one who could reach down through my own pain and loss of Randy. I want you with me all the time.”

Bernard fought happy tears. “Are you absolutely sure about this? I’m not the easiest person to live with. I’ve been alone most of my life. I’ve gotten pretty set in my ways. Old men do that.”

Jack kissed his hands again. “You’re not old, first of all. Secondly, I love you. I want you to be able to survive and be with me at the same time. My place isn’t far from your hotel either.”

Bernard cocked his head and twisted his lip. “Well, that much is true.” He looked into Jack’s eyes and embraced the man warmly. “I’ve never lived with someone before except my family. I hope you know what you’re doing.”

“Of course I do. I’m a doctor after all.” Jack quipped.

Bernard smiled and kissed the man soundly. “I’d love to live with you. My lease is up in a couple of months. Guess I’d better give them notice.”

“Fantastic!” Jack said with a big smile. “I’m lonely in that house all by myself. How long have you lived here?”

Bernard sighed, sat down on the sofa, and rubbed his chin. “Crap, I think over 15 years! I’m almost a permanent resident.”

“15 years? Wow that’s a long time in one place.”

Bernard shrugged. “I told you, I don’t change things very much. Loyalty is my specialty. I’m the most loyal lap dog you’ll ever have.”

Jack laughed and sat himself down on Bernard’s lap. “How about I be your loyal lap dog too then? I would never stray.”

Bernard ran his hands up the handsome man’s body and cupped his face. “Never? Not even on a mutt like me?”

Jack stroked his lover’s cheek and kissed him. “You listen close now. I love you, and nothing could stop that. Not ever.”

“Jack…”

“Shhh, no more words. Move in with me and be my lover?”

Bernard finally caught his breath and responded. “Yes! I’ll move in with you. I need to go tell the office. They’ll be shocked. I’ll tell ‘em I found a better offer. The best ever!”

Jack smiled at him and hopped off his lap. “Want me to go with you?”

Bernard sported a thoughtful look and winked at his lover. “Yes. I want them to see why I’m so happy and the person who brought it on.”

“Then let’s go.”

 

They went to the office together and Bernard gleefully told the manager he was moving out. She was surprised, but happy for him.

The manager was shocked to hear Bernard was moving out after such a long stay! She waived the let-out fee and any notice that they needed as long as he promised to deeply clean the unit within a reasonable amount of time. Bernard happily accepted the deal and began packing that night!

Jack took his hand as they left the office.

“I’m so thrilled you’re moving in with me! I hate being alone.”

Bernard smiled at him. “I’m only too happy to do it. You’ve made such a huge difference in my life!”

2010, S. L. Danielson
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Already going to live together but somehow it doesn´t seem too hasty decision but it will take a lot of adjustment especially from Bernand. To live with someone when you are used to living alone won´t be easy. They love each other and Jack´s a lovely man, so I´m sure they´ll manage.

This is a great story...just wish the chapters were longer :*)

Link to comment

I agree with Suvitar; it will be a big adjustment for Bernard. It's not easy living with someone when you're so used to being on your own and not accounting for your whereabouts to anyone. Plus, there's little things like leaving dishes in the sink, not vacuuming every day, leaving the toilet seat up (oh yeah, they're both guys, they do this instinctually! lol I think it's an inbred thing!), that might get to one of them.

 

I'm sure their love is strong enough to survive the little things. lol

Link to comment
On 02/15/2014 05:22 PM, Suvitar said:
Already going to live together but somehow it doesn´t seem too hasty decision but it will take a lot of adjustment especially from Bernand. To live with someone when you are used to living alone won´t be easy. They love each other and Jack´s a lovely man, so I´m sure they´ll manage.

This is a great story...just wish the chapters were longer :*)

Thank you! Yeah, they are moving along, and not too fast.

This chapter was too short; should've probably been a scene break instead...

I will post another today..

Link to comment
On 02/16/2014 06:48 AM, Lisa said:
I agree with Suvitar; it will be a big adjustment for Bernard. It's not easy living with someone when you're so used to being on your own and not accounting for your whereabouts to anyone. Plus, there's little things like leaving dishes in the sink, not vacuuming every day, leaving the toilet seat up (oh yeah, they're both guys, they do this instinctually! lol I think it's an inbred thing!), that might get to one of them.

 

I'm sure their love is strong enough to survive the little things. lol

oh yeah, all the little things that make us human and creatures of habit that wear on each other's nerves...LOL
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..