Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Bernard: Diary of a 46-yr-old Bellhop - 16. Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Ghosts of the Past

 

August 7th. The following morning, Bernard was quite busy. He notified his new boss there’d be a delay, which he understood given the circumstances. He looked up at the clock and noted it was nearly noon! He walked back to the bedroom and sat on the opposite side of the bed next to his ex. “Jack? You awake?”

The brunette slowly opened his eyes and took in the blurred sight of Bernard next to him. “Hey. Sleep okay?”

“Like a baby. I missed this bed a lot. To be honest, I really missed being in it and next to you.”

Jack smiled. “Really?”

“Really.”

They hugged for a long moment. Bernard smoothed his fingers down his companion’s smooth upper back and sniffed the unwashed skin. It still smelled beautiful to him.

“I’m gonna go into my old work and get my stuff.”

“Want me to drive you?” Jack asked in a genuine tone.

“No, I’ll be alright. Thanks, though. I just will avoid the stairs. It’ll be elevators only for a couple of days. Nothing I haven’t done before.” He stood up to leave, but Jack pulled him back down.

“Wait a moment…we need to talk more. There’s a lot going on in my head right now.”

Bernard glanced at the clock. “Hon, can we talk when I get back? I really need to get my stuff. I’ve had my mail forwarded there and they said something important came. I’d love to know what it is.”

Jack nodded. “Okay, but I really need to talk with you about us and our future.”

Bernard leaned over and kissed the man’s cheek. “We’ll talk for as long as you’d like when I get back. Alright?”

“Alright. See you later. I love you.”

They hugged and kissed lightly. “I love you too.”

 

Bernard limped into the hotel lobby and saw the reaction from the clerks.

“Bern! How are you?” the youngest clerk, Tiffany, squealed as she ran over and hugged him. He held for a moment.

“Hi, Tiff! Yeah, had a little run in with a beer bottle, I dropped it and it got me. How are you?”

“We’re good! We’ll miss you so much…we wanted to throw you a huge party, but Mr. Reed said you wouldn’t like us to do that.”

Bernard nodded. “He’s right. I’m not much for big, fancy parties. I’d rather go out to lunch with all of you, spread out over a long period of time. Hey, I heard my mail is here?”

“Ooh, that’s right!” She scampered over to the desk as best she could in stiletto heels and retrieved a stack of mail all emblazoned with yellow forwarding stickers. “Here ya go.”

Bernard fingered through the pile. A lot of junk mail, a few bills, and one from the hospital. He held it out for inspection. “Hmm, wonder what this could be. It’s from the finance office.”

“Open it!” Tiffany commanded in her chipmunkish voice.

He slit it open with his thick fingers and skimmed the words. What caught his attention was the very last line. “…total amount owed by patient $0.00.” Bernard gasped! How could this be? He’d made arrangements, and though it’d been very difficult making the payments, he’d made them. “I wonder…,” his voice trailed off.

“Wonder what, Bern?”

He glanced up at his friend and smiled. “Nothing important. I need to get back home.”

“Back home to that gorgeous man you live with?” she said slyly.

Bernard smiled to himself. “Yes, back home to him. I need to have a talk with him.”

“Good luck, hon! Love you!” she hugged him again.

“Thanks, Tiff! Love you too.” He embraced her quickly, then turned to depart, and ran into a man who’d just walked up behind him. They clashed loudly and both backed away from the incident. The man was furious!

“You clutz! Didn’t you see me?”

Bernard shook his head. “No I didn’t see you! I’m sorry, sir!”

The man straightened out his suit and smoothed down his hair. “You damn well better be, imbecile!”

Tiffany came charging out from behind the counter and helped her friend steady himself. “Hey! That’s not very nice! He didn’t see you at all, so just accept his apology and that it was an accident!”

“Tiff…” Bernard started.

“You stay out of this little missy!” The man bellowed.

Bernard rubbed his eyes and finally saw who the angry man was. It was Jeremy!

“Jeremy? Is that you?”

The man scowled at him and looked him over from head to toe. “Ah yes, Bernard. The loser fatso who told me all those nauseating things that night.”

Bernard bowed his head and focused his anger. “I only told you how I felt. It was not meant to nauseate you.”

Jeremy huffed. “Hah! Look at you, you’ve lost some weight, but you’re still as unattractive as can be. Whoever picks you up better have blinders on!”

Tiffany felt her anger reach the boiling point. “You dirtbag! You think you’re all that and so hot and attractive, huh? You’ve been asking me out for weeks! My answer is still no! I’m calling the manager. You’re out of this hotel!” She picked up the phone and called Mr. Reed over.

“Yes, Tiffany, what is it?” Mr. Reed asked as he arrived from upstairs.

“Sir, this man has assaulted Bernard and harassed me continually! He’s also insulting, degrading, and a huge jerk!”

Mr. Reed looked over at Jeremy. “Sir, what is your defense?”

Bernard watched from the counter while holding Tiffany’s hand.

“Mr. Reed, I’ve been a guest of this hotel for some time. It would be a shame if you suddenly had a drop in business due to my scathing review.”

The manager crossed his arms. “Is this your defense? Hurl more threats? There must be something to what my employees say then…”

“I can make this worth your while…” Jeremy said with a slimy grin. He reached for his wallet and pulled out a $100 dollar bill. He attempted to hand it to Bernard. “For your trouble.”

Bernard batted his hand away. “You wanna pay me back? Then you owe me a hell of a lot more than that! The hospital bills alone, not to mention the counseling and rehab!”

Jeremy scowled at him. “What the devil are you talking about?”

Bernard gripped Tiffany’s hand tighter as he finally let the truth slip. “You bastard. I attempted suicide because of you!”

Mr. Reed’s eyebrows raised up higher than Bernard had ever seen. “You what?”

Tiffany broke into tears. “That’s right. What Jeremy did and said was so hurtful…anybody would wanna hurt themselves after that! You complete dirtbag!”

Jeremy looked over at his victims and tucked his wallet back in, with the $100 bill still inside. “I’ll stay somewhere else from now on. Mr. Reed, I won’t write a review. Tiffany…such spunk! Bernard…I’m speechless.” He reached out his hand for the man to take, and surprisingly he took it.

“Just don’t hurt anyone else in the same way. I’m damn lucky that I met the true love of my life because of it. I guess I could say we’re even.”

Jeremy nodded. “I suppose we are. Goodbye.” He gathered up his luggage and left. Bernard let out a sigh of relief and looked up at his former co-workers.

“I guess I’ll be going now too.”

Mr. Reed held out his hand. “Wait a moment? I’d like to speak with you before you go.”

Bernard raised a brow and shot a look over at Tiffany. She shrugged, but smiled. “Sure. Lead the way.”

 


 

Conclusion

 

Bernard arrived back home with a huge smile on his face!

“Jack? Where are ya, hon?”

Jack came out from around the corner, drying his hands. “Hey, baby. What’s up?”

Bernard wrapped his arms around Jack and kissed him soundly.

“Mmm, that was a wonderful kiss. What’s going on?”

“I got promoted! Mr. Reed finally promoted me to assistant manager of the whole damn hotel!”

Jack grinned and showed his perfect smile again. “That’s wonderful! What came about that this happened?”

“I’ll tell you that story in a minute, but there’s another wonderful piece of news. I don’t owe the hospital anything!”

“What? How’s that? Have you been making extra payments or something?”

“No, I made whatever payment I could and they knew I was struggling, even after moving in with you I started spending it on Brenda, etc. Well I got this letter from them telling me I don’t owe them another red cent!” He pulled out the letter and showed it to Jack.

“That’s wonderful! Now you’re free of all those nasty bills!”

“This calls for a celebration. Two marvelous things within one hour!”

“I heartily agree. I’ll get some sparkling grape juice ready.”

Bernard grinned up at his lover. “No more alcohol toasts?”

Jack shook his head. “No more ever. I wanted to talk to you about everything- us, the alcohol, your job. It’s so ironic to me when we met I was high you were low, now it’s reversed!”

Bernard caught his breath and took Jack into his arms. “I’m more than willing to help you out however I can. I love you very much! Now that I’m promoted, I’m passing on that hoity-toity job! Mr. Reed is gonna match my salary! How’s that for awesome?”

“That’s terrific! Now the hospital bill is gone, you can help out your sister even more.”

Bernard nodded. “Definitely! I only left because you needed that kick in the butt to get you back on track. I think you’re getting your act together just fine.”

“Well enough to move back in with me? Permanently?”

“Definitely.” Bernard answered. Their lips brushed together and met briefly. Jack ran his fingers over his lover’s hairy arms and held him close.

“Well enough to promise to be with me?”

Bernard grinned and clasped his hands around Jack’s face and pulled him in for a long kiss. “Absolutely.”

Jack smooched the man’s large neck and ran his hands over the reduced body. “Well enough to marry me?”

Bernard’s eyes grew to saucers! “Jack! Are you asking me to—”

Jack knelt down on both knees in front of the man. He held both large hands and kissed them. “Yes! I’m asking you to marry me, Bernard. Be with me always and help me by kicking my butt and keeping me away from the firewater. I want to help you too in your recovery and with your family and be a helper when the baby comes! I love you more than anything; more than Randy even! I know he was a problem, but I’ve overcome it now…oh shit, I’m babbling, will you marry me, Bernard Joseph Covington?”

Bernard burst into tears and smiled wide. “Yes! Of course I’ll marry you! Jack Edward Larson you are so amazing—”

They embraced and wept happy tears together. Jack presented a cake he’d bought. It was heart-shaped, with a ‘Happy 47th Birthday, Bernard!’ emblazoned in purple icing on it.

“Since you never got to have your birthday cake.”

Bernard hugged him tightly. “Thank you, hon! I have a surprise for you too. All my stuff is in the trunk, I dropped by Brenda’s and picked it up. I want to be here with you forever.”

Jack hoisted a flute of grape juice. “To forever.”

Bernard grinned. “Amen to that.”

They kissed again and ate dinner and a piece of the cake. They awayed to their bedroom and made love until midnight. At 12:01 Bernard raised a toast to the date of the one-year anniversary since he tried to end his life. He quietly pulled out his journal and penned a new entry.

 

August 8th, One year later

I can’t believe it’s only been a year! I’m finally happy and engaged to the man I love more than anything and who finally loves me back! All our issues are resolved and we’re happier than ever! I hope this is the first of many happy entries to come!

2010, S. L. Danielson
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I do love happy endings :P It´s so nice that Bernard and Jack found a way to be together and the last diary entry made them seem very happy together.

Great story :worship:

Link to comment
On 04/11/2014 02:51 PM, Suvitar said:
I do love happy endings :P It´s so nice that Bernard and Jack found a way to be together and the last diary entry made them seem very happy together.

Great story :worship:

Me too :) Thank you! I'm happy you enjoyed it!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..