Jump to content
    Talo Segura
  • Author
  • 2,190 Words
  • 2,482 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Milo - 3. Chapter Three

This chapter features a song by Patrick Bruel, Qui a le droit. Watch/listen on YouTube

“What in God’s name do you think you’re doing?” Mariane almost spat the words in his face.

“Nothing. I don’t know why you’re reacting like this.” Morris was staying calm.

“Why I’m reacting?”

“Yes, why you are upset about nothing.”

“That’s rich. Upset about nothing." She was angry. "Do you really think I don’t know what’s going on?”

“Nothing is going on.”

The voices rumbled down the hallway like thunder. Corinth could hear the argument from her room. It wasn’t the first time her parents had been angry with each other, but this sounded worse than before. She stood with her bedroom door ajar, listening. It was clear her mother was upset and that her father was attempting to calm things down, denying there was any problem.

“This isn’t the first time." She continued her attack.

“What do you mean by that?”

Morris attempted to rebuff his wife's accusations. He insisted she was misinterpreting things, but Mariane was having none of it. She told him this time he had gone too far. Worse it was here, right under her nose. He insisted she had got things wrong, but she would not listen.

Then he pleaded with her for an explanation. “What exactly am I supposed to have done?”

“Done! With my own sister. I can smell her perfume on you.”

“So? Your sister uses a strong scent.” He was flailing under the onslaught.

“Oh please, Morris. Don’t make excuses.”

“I’m not.”

“This affects everybody. Not just you and me. The whole family. The kids. What about our daughters? Milo? Did you even think about them?”

Corinth knew something was seriously wrong. She understood what they were arguing about, and it was a shock.

“I need some air," Morris said.

The door down the hallway banged shut. Corinth listened to her father’s footsteps. She heard him go downstairs. Quietly, she closed her bedroom door and flopped down on the bed. Would they separate? Get divorced? There were girlfriends at school whose parents had split up. It wasn’t so uncommon. But she never imagined it might happen to them. Should she go and see her mother? Corinth lay there, trying to think through what might happen. Perhaps nothing?

 

▪ ▪ ▪

 

Milo spotted Uncle Morris walking down the steps of the veranda. He watched him get into the car and start the engine. The tyres threw up a cloud of dust from the dry ground as the car pulled away. For a moment, he wondered where his uncle was going in such a hurry. But his thoughts quickly returned to the subject of his preoccupation, Estevo. He would be here today. Milo decided to hang around the house and wandered down into the garden.

In reality, the label 'garden' no longer applied, the bushes had grown wild, the plants that pushed up through the baked earth were those that survived without watering, mostly weeds. The outline of what was once a splendid garden, like the house itself, was still there. You just needed to look hard to see it. Milo wondered what his father wanted Estevo to do. One person alone could not reverse years of neglect.

The sun was reaching its zenith. Lunch would be on the veranda, but no one was about. At least he saw nobody, until he found his way to the rear of the property. The grass was taller there, interspersed with weeds and gorse bushes. Those needed to be dodged to avoid the sharp prickles which would scratch and cut your legs. A path of sorts existed, leading towards the back door. Actually two doors side by side. A wooden step led up to the rear entrance of the house and another door led into the basement.

Milo had been into the basement. As a young child, it offered mystery and adventure, but it was an empty space that an adult had to move through bent double. The uneven earth floor and low beams meant you could not stand up. The basement was another part of the house long since abandoned. Left as a home for the bats.

He was surprised to see Corinth sitting alone on the rear step. He had imagined making a tour of the outside, he might find Estevo. He had not seen him arrive. As he drew closer, his cousin looked up and wiped her eyes. It was obvious she had been crying.

“What are you doing here?” he asked.

There was silence. Milo took a seat on the step next to her. He sat a while before speaking again.

“Is something wrong? Did something happen?”

Corinth turned her head away but otherwise did not move. Milo was almost touching her.

He decided on a different approach. “You know I like both my cousins. Even if you both tease and play about.”

It seemed she relaxed a little. Although she didn’t look directly at him, she did turn her head back, but still kept silent.

“What do you think we’ll have for lunch?” He was trying hard to lift her spirits but was obviously not very good at it.

“I couldn’t care less,” she finally replied. “I don't care.”

“Oh, okay.”

“I think my parents are getting divorced.”

That statement came out of the blue, like a summer storm, a shock. A shock for Milo, but not for Corinth. A summer storm was at least predictable. You could see the storm clouds gathering, you just didn’t know when it would hit.

“What happened?” Milo shuffled a little closer. He wanted to give his support.

“They were arguing. It’s been going on for some time. Before we got here.”

“Arguing about what?”

Corinth felt the touch of the other body next to hers. She stared out across the overgrown lawn.

“I think it was about my father and your mother.” She didn’t want to be too brutal. She didn’t want to straight out tell him it was about them. Even though she knew, she’d heard the argument.

“What about?”

Now she turned her head and looked at him. “You sure you want to know?”

“Of course, I want to know.” Why would she say that? he thought to himself.

“Something’s going on between your mother and my father.”

“Going on?”

She sighed. “Milo, you can be so slow sometimes. It’s easy to tease you. You never see anything. Don’t get it,”

“Don’t get what?” He was a bit annoyed.

“My father, your mother. Together.”

He still had to think about it for a moment or two before the penny dropped. “You mean they’re...” He didn’t know how to finish, but if he understood her, she was telling him his mother was having an affair.

“With Uncle Morris?”

Corinth felt exhausted by the explanation. “You got it.”

“No, no, can’t be true. I’m not falling for your games.”

“Whatever. You asked. I’m not playing. Not making it up. I heard my parents arguing about it.”

At first, he didn’t reply, but something felt different. This time he believed her. She was serious. She’d been crying about it. Before he even got here.

“Okay. What if I do believe you?”

“Nothing. Nothing, Milo. I’m just saying what’s going on. It upset me. Not at first, but thinking about what might happen. If they do split up. What will happen now? This summer? It seems like it might be over before it starts. I can’t see us staying here all summer together. Can you?”

He thought about it, “No. I suppose not.”

Corinth turned to face him, moving her head closer. She moved her arm onto his back, leaned forward and kissed him on the lips. She caught him off guard. He was contemplating the revelation, not paying attention to her. The first he knew, was the soft, moist touch of her lips against his. He jumped back, surprised. It took Milo a moment to recover.

“Look, Corinth, I wasn’t lying about liking you both, you and Amelie. But I like you like cousins, sisters even, not in any other way.”

She didn’t push herself on him but instead shuffled further apart. “Okay, sorry.”

“Forget it. No problem. Just so we understand each other. Okay?”

“Okay,” she gave him a weak smile. “And I’m sorry for teasing you and all that.”

“Doesn’t matter. It’s all cool.”

“Still, why wouldn’t you want to kiss? It doesn’t mean we're in a relationship or anything. It’s only a kiss. Boy, girl.”

Milo felt himself blush. “I just don’t want to do that. We’re not kids anymore.”

“All the more reason. Just try kissing between grownups.”

“Well, I don’t think we’re grownups either. And it doesn’t feel right doing stuff with my cousin.”

Corinth was silent. She was again staring out across the once fine lawn.

After some time just sitting there together Milo spoke, “Have you seen the guy who's working on the house?”

“What guy?”

“Oh, my father employed this young guy to do some work here. I haven’t seen him around and was wondering if he’d shown up.

“Well, I haven’t seen him either. Let’s go take a look.”

It was amazing how quickly his cousin could slip from one mood into another. From one person to another. Perhaps a unique quality given to some but not others, he thought. They stood up together and smiled at each other. It seemed to Milo that they’d reached a new understanding. He hoped everything wasn’t as bad as the picture she painted.

“Which way?” She asked.

“I’ve done the tour of the outside. Let’s take a look around inside.”

They turned, opened the door, and went into the house.

Corinth led the way along the narrow hall. There was music playing in one of the rooms. The radio was on...

Qui a le droit, qui a le droit

Qui a le droit d' faire ça

A un enfant qui croit vraiment

C' que disent les grands

On passe sa vie à dire merci

Merci à qui, à quoi

A faire la pluie et le beau temps

Pour des enfants à qui l'on ment

(Who has the right, who has the right)

(Who has the right to do that)

(To a child who really believes)

(What the adults say)

(We spend our life saying thank you)

(Thank you to who, for what)

(Bringing the rain and the good times)

(For the children we lie to)

Corinth turned into the open door with Milo right behind her. The large room was empty save for the ladder resting against the far wall with the young man halfway up it, singing. Singing along with the radio. Milo thought he had a beautiful voice. Estevo was shirtless, stretching, scraping the old wallpaper from the wall. The floor was spotted with scraps of wallpaper showing pictures of faded flowers that had once weaved their way around the room. Bare floorboards gleamed with a shiny dark wetness from the moisture spilled off the wall. One large strip of paper, soaked and damp, was all that was left of the decoration.

A toi aussi, j' suis sur qu'on t'en a dit

De belles histoires, tu parles que des conneries!

Alors maintenant, on s' retrouve sur la route

Avec nos peurs, nos angoisses et nos doutes

(And to you as well, I’m sure they told you)

(Beautiful stories, all bullshit!)

(And now, we’re left alone)

(With our fears, anxiety, and doubts)

Corinth approached, bent down by the ladder, and turned the large knob on the black and chrome transistor radio. Patrick Bruel faded into the background. Estevo stopped, turned his head, and looked down at her.

“How long have you been here?” Milo demanded.

Estevo glanced across the room before turning his attention back to Corinth.

“Not long,” he replied.

“You must work quickly,” Milo was watching him. Watching him looking at Corinth.

“What are you doing?” Corinth smiled up at him. She was quite taken by the lean, tanned young man in faded jeans and old sneakers.

He laughed and held up the scraper with which only minutes before he’d been tearing off the last remaining vestiges of wallpaper.

“Isn’t it obvious?”

His smile was contagious and brightened Corinth’s mood. She was no longer thinking about her parents or Milo. Milo, on the other hand, was less pleased. It seemed there was something between the two of them, Estevo and Corinth. In any event, it was certain that Estevo was more taken with her than him.

“You’re here all day?” Milo asked as he was leaving.

Estevo looked at him. “Yeah, I’m staying here. To get the work done for your father.”

Milo thought that was typical of his father. The house was falling apart, and he’d asked Estevo to decorate an empty room that they didn’t even use.

“I’ll see you later then.” He walked back out, leaving Corinth and Estevo alone.

As he reached the end of the hall and went back outside, he heard the radio once more, blaring from the house.

Milo wondered if he was jealous. But why? What of? He walked along the overgrown path back around the house, towards the hammock.

 

○ ○ ○

Copyright © 2019 Talo Segura; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 7
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Trust a gerl to complicate things! 😁 

Certainly a chapter that added more questions. Why decorate an unused room? Why did Estivo show even the slightest interest in said gerl  when hunky boy is obviously there for our hero's amusement and education?

May these and other questions be answered with all due haste!

😁

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

 Estevo seemed interested in Corinth. I feel for Milo. I would have been jealous too! 

 

The start of the chapter was confusing to me. Who are these people and where do they fit into this story? It became clear later in the chapter, but it distracted me

But after that the flow that was in the previous 2 chapters continued.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Another good chapter. Personally, i have no issue with how you introduced the new characters ... but that's me, i like a bit of a surprise. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Freerider said:

The start of the chapter was confusing to me. Who are these people and where do they fit into this story? It became clear later in the chapter, but it distracted me

There were only six very short pieces of dialogue before we find out that it is Corinth's parents who are arguing, so any confusion or distraction is quickly sorted out. I suppose the author could have moved the seventh paragraph (about Corinth listening to her parents arguing) right to the beginning of the chapter, but the fact that it wasn't certainly didn't cause me any real distraction.  :)

The worry is that what they were arguing about could cut short the holiday this year, or at least result in Milo's uncle, aunt and cousins cutting their stay short. Although that may not be too bad a thing, as it would at least mean that Estevo wouldn't be distracted by Corinth.

Estevo is still a bit of a mystery. Is he really interested in Corinth? Does he have any interest at all in Milo? It seemed obvious from Milo's reaction to first meeting him in the last chapter that Milo is at least fascinated by him. And his thoughts right at the end, as to whether he was jealous in the interaction between Corinth and Estevo, at least hint that Milo may have an attraction to him. Maybe he will try to sort out his feelings whilst lying in that hammock...

I found the choice of song interesting. A song about adults lying to children. Makes me wonder about the long held secret that @Talo Segura alludes to in his initial summary notes to this story. But I'm probably just reading too much into the song. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

@Canuk you highlight the questions posed in this chapter, why employ Estevo to do something perhaps not very useful? I can't answer, but the story should, as it unravels. @Freerider I can see the opening could be confusing, but it became clear once you new it was Uncle Morris and his wife Mariane who were arguing. Jealousy is just one emotion hanging in the languid summer air. @Mikiesboy I hope there are quite a few surprises in store that will keep you all intrigued. @Marty the song about adults lying to children seems quite topical as there was a discussion about that very subject. There certainly are some secrets, but also a lot of conjecture, overheard words and glimpsed scenes.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I think my feedback about the distraction needs a short explanation. 

Firstly it could very well just be me. 

Sencondly, because there is some time between chapters being published, I start wondering if I forgot these names. So, I revert back to the other chapters, start scanning them if these names are in there... hence the distraction I mentioned. Nothing bad, just enough that I wanted to mention it.

I particularly like the atmosphere of the story. It paints pictures of long, warm summers in the south of Europe. An unreachable, beautiful boy and girls that are just a bit too interested bring back memories. Good times! *sigh*

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'm really impressed by all the characters and the various story threads. So many stories are solely focused on the gay protagonist and nothing else.

This story creates a complete environment: home and town and populates it with many people, each with their own personalities and concerns. 

Milo and Estevo are bit part players within this real world setting; of great interest, yes but certainly not the sole focus of the story either. That adds so much more to what we are reading.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

With respect to the Estevo, Corinth and Milo interaction lets not forget that Estevo is there to do a job that he's been asked to do. He obviously wants to get it done well and fast so he can make a good first impression and be retained to earn some money for the summer. 

Secondly, we dont know if Estevo is attracted to males, females, both or neither at this stage. Yes he was concerned that Milo appeared down yesterday, at the coffee bar, but that's a far cry from knowing that he's gay or even interested. It wouldn't do to get fired for mistakenly jumping the owners son on the first morning 😉

Milo's jealousy is a different matter. He knows what he feels and he wants Estevo to feel the same. Estevo being civil to Corinth is not what Milo wants but he is not seeing it from Estevo' s perspective above.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

@Bard Simpson it is obvious you are enjoying the unfolding story and your observations are pretty much spot on. You have also given me food for thought as a new writer, because whilst I did consider all the story threads and characters, I did not perhaps pick up on how much this enhanced the story by giving a picture, at least in part, of the whole environment where the events take place, house and village. I will keep that point in mind for the future, thank you.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Bard Simpson said:

I'm really impressed by all the characters and the various story threads. So many stories are solely focused on the gay protagonist and nothing else.

This story creates a complete environment: home and town and populates it with many people, each with their own personalities and concerns. 

Milo and Estevo are bit part players within this real world setting; of great interest, yes but certainly not the sole focus of the story either. That adds so much more to what we are reading.

I agree entirely with your observations and thoughts, @Bard Simpson. :thumbup:

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I agree with Bard Simpson. Also, I see Milo as confused by his feelings regarding Estevo. Remember, the hairdresser (barber) makes him feel creepy, so that would seem to conflict with how Estevo affects him. And he left Corinth and Estevo to themselves, so the jealousy can’t run that deep. Yet!

I look forward to more and how Milo deals with the realization that he might have a crush on Estevo. But Corinth is a wily one, which I’m sure that Estevo will learn in short order.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Arran said:

I look forward to more and how Milo deals with the realization that he might have a crush on Estevo.

That really is a tricky situation full of mixed emotions, confusion and doubt.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Like an artist you're building a bigger picture, it's interesting and intriguing. Now on to the the next chapter. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Of all the repairs needed, redecorating a room never used seems pointless. Hopefully, some direction will soon become apparent.

Milo's lack of a strong reaction to the info about his mom and uncle says a lot about the dysfunctional family.

 

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..