Jump to content
    Talo Segura
  • Author
  • 1,232 Words
  • 1,436 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Short Stories - Inspired by prompts. - 1. Didn't Quite Make It - Prompt 764

Prompt 764 - Creative

Tag - First Line

Didn't Quite Make It

BY TALO SEGURA

The tears were still falling as he grasped the doorframe watching the dark figure disappear into the rain. Could he have done something different? A contournement of the truth, what the English would call, a white lie. It wasn’t that he had any problem with the situation, or that it upset him, but neither was he able to offer a solution. The more he considered what had happened the more obvious it became the outcome was inevitable, a foregone conclusion. Only Matthew was blind to the consequences.

It was six months ago, the start of a new term, and a couple of new faces on the staff. Matthew Barkley had graduated in the Arts, before qualifying to become a teacher. Why he chose this particular profession is a mystery and one which will remain forever unresolved. What drives a person to choose one path over another boils down to personality and circumstances. Still, whatever the reasons behind his choice, David respected his decision; even if it soon became evident that Matthew was not cut out for the job.

Enthusiasm and a certain idealism do not offer, by their nature alone, enough of a shield from the natives of the jungle, some of whom could be dangerous animals. Apart from the usual settling in to a new and hostile environment, everything went well at first. However, a naivety on Matthew’s part was to lead to the catastrophe that doomed their relationship like some twisted Shakespearean plot. A theatrical drama played out in the corridors of education.

James Holland was a precocious and thoroughly obnoxious fourteen year old. David had the dubious pleasure of being his year head the previous year and knew the boy well. He had put him in his place from the outset, his thinking being that he should clamp down hard before anything got out of control. What he needed to set him straight about, a rather ironic term to employ, was his attitude. Not simply his lack of respect for authority, but his continuous jibes of a barely disguised homophobic nature.

There were strict policies in place at the college, these revolved mostly around bullying, but had been extended with the aim to prevent victimisation of fellow students, for whatever reason. One reason was making disparaging remarks insinuating a boy or girl was gay. David was certain he wasn’t the only gay person in a school of just over six hundred staff and pupils, but he was particularly vigilant to ensure none of the students felt isolated. In the back of his mind he suspected that young Mr Holland had deep rooted identity problems of his own. However, he would not allow one boy’s problems to destroy a good working environment for everyone else.

It was much later when Matthew and David became good friends, rather than simply friendly colleagues. Quite how that transition came about he was not entirely certain. Although, there was the incident during life studies which Matthew had related to David and Muriel over coffee in the staff lounge. It was so hilarious it had Muriel in fits and David choking on his drink. You see, part of the art course that every student had to learn was life studies, which meant drawing real models. The art teacher, Matthew this time around, would ask for volunteers to act as the model for the rest of the class. The only difficulty being that one part of this was modelling nude.

Matthew recounted how he had gone through practically the whole class and no one would step up to the challenge, so he decided to hold a sort of lottery. The winner, or perhaps loser, got the modelling job. This turned out to be the smallest and possibly shyest boy in the class. Only he proved himself, to everyone’s surprise, up to the job. And that is not meant to be a pun! Once undressed behind a screen, Matthew asked him to come out and take up his pose in front of the rest of the class, with easels and pencils at the ready. After a little hesitation and some murmuring from everyone else, out stepped young Lawrence holding in front of himself a strategically placed fig leaf.

Roars of laughter and shouts of, “Take it off!” went up from the class.

Matthew looked at the boy and then hushed the class. “Lawrence, this is supposed to be a nude study.”

The boy unwaveringly replied, “Yes, I know.”

Matthew looked at the fig leaf, “And that?”

“I am biblically nude!” He exclaimed theatrically, and the whole class started laughing again.

But they carried on with the fig leaf prop and Matthew telling the students to use some imagination. The finished drawings were somewhat amusing, not for the varying degrees of proficiency, but rather for the varying degrees of size!

Whilst David never hid his sexuality, neither did he make a prominent display. Only Muriel was close enough to be a sort of confidant and it was her, who taking the initiative pushed the two of them together. There is a theory that opposites attract and that certainly was the case here. But over time they grew closer and shared more and more periods together outside of work. They may even have moved in together, it was the next logical step, but for that fatal day.

James Holland had decided to take his revenge and not directly with David, but rather through Matthew. The burgeoning relationship David shared with Matthew, they kept very discrete, for obvious reasons. However, not as secret as they imagined, because James had discovered, or perhaps more accurately, believed he had deduced that there was something going on between the two teachers.

One wet Autumn afternoon everything went wrong and David was not in school that day. He had an interview for assistant head at another school, and they had arranged to meet up that evening at David’s flat. James Holland confronted Matthew with a barrage of verbal abuse, the kind of homophobic vilification that leaves nothing to the imagination. Perhaps if David had been there, in school, things may have worked out differently, but probably not. Matthew had, as the kids said, lost it. The result, he hit James, and a teacher smacking a student is unjustifiable and an automatic dismissal. One moment ended his career.

The buzzer sounded on his intercom and David picked up, “Hello.”

“David, it’s me.”

He pressed the button to let Matthew in and went out to meet him. His apartment was on the ground floor of a small block. As soon as he saw him he knew something was wrong. He ushered him inside and attempted to take his wet coat, but Matthew just stood there.

“I’m leaving!” he said, a blank look in his eyes.

“What?” David couldn't understand.

“I’m sorry. I hit a kid today. He fucked with my head and...”

“Come in. Don’t stand in the doorway.”

“No. I’m leaving. I came to say goodbye.”

Matthew turned and walked the short distance back down the hall. David followed him. But it was too late.

“Matthew, wait!”

But he’d gone. Opened the door and stepped outside. The tears were still falling as he grasped the doorframe watching the dark figure disappear into the rain.

◇ ◇ ◇

 

This short story was inspired by the prompt given by @comicfan number 764 - Creative - Tag - First Line

The tears were still falling as he grasped the doorframe watching the dark figure disappear into the rain.

Copyright © 2019 Talo Segura; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a sad outcome. :(

But just the sort of thing that many teachers can face in their careers.

A interesting take on that particular first line prompt, @Talo Segura :thumbup:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Marty said:

What a sad outcome. :(

It was sad, a relationship that never really got started, but that line which is the prompt evokes sadness; tears, grasping, holding on, dark, disappearing into the rain. At least it conjured a certain melancholy for me. I just finished a short story by @Geron Kees The Party of the Third Part, which was a feel good, romantic tale, which I liked a lot. I'm just not sure I could ever write those happy endings, not that it's all darkness and despair, there is love and romance, simply not always that perfect ending.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
57 minutes ago, Talo Segura said:

. I just finished a short story by @Geron Kees The Party of the Third Part, which was a feel good, romantic tale, which I liked a lot.

 

@Geron Kees does write some really good stories. :thumbup:

And so do you, @Talo Segura :) 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A very good effort here, and true to the prompt. 

I think if you can write this, you can write whatever you really want to write. Never limit yourself by saying, "I think I can't."

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
54 minutes ago, Geron Kees said:

I think if you can write this, you can write whatever you really want to write. Never limit yourself by saying, "I think I can't."

You are right in a sense, but perhaps certain types of story, certain characters, and the sort of endings, draw you in, inspire you, excite you, more than others. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

If I remember correctly from long. long ago in writing class, a successful short story develops the characters and the story narrative in very tight writing that doesn’t ramble. Geron Kees does it well, and Talo certainly succeeds here. The outcome may be dark, but so are parts of life. However, reading this story is thrilling. To work a delightful piece of humor (I’m biblically naked) into an otherwise dark tale not only changes the tone temporarily but takes the edge off!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A story full of gravitas, feeling and emotion that easily missed if not ready fully. Impressive work, I like it, thank you for the story.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Like 4
Link to comment

I understand his guilt and he would probably lose his job and maybe even be charged with assault. But why leave the relationship just when he really needs support. It could be a good test the strength of his relationship. People are strange. This is not a criticism of your writing Talo, maybe a comment on human nature. Good job.

Link to comment

Just as I was settling in for a good read the plug gets pulled.I knew that it was meant to be a short story but I was still expecting it to be about twice this length. I'm only frustrated Talo because in that brief a period you managed to totally draw me into the characters and storyline and after capturing my undivided attention   you left me grasping the doorframe watching your dark figure disappear into the rain.

Of course its all positives, sort of. That you managed to so thoroughly engage us in the characters and plot in such a short amount of time was a great achievement.

I was also captivated by your condensed, free flowing, lucid yet easy to read, writing style that took full advantage of the limited words that you allowed yourself. 

if only it were twice as long with twice the content, then I would have been sated. 

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 7/31/2019 at 11:48 PM, Geron Kees said:

A very good effort here, and true to the prompt. 

I think if you can write this, you can write whatever you really want to write. Never limit yourself by saying, "I think I can't."

 

I agree whole heartedly! Well said.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/5/2019 at 8:03 AM, Bard Simpson said:

Just as I was settling in for a good read the plug gets pulled.I knew that it was meant to be a short story but I was still expecting it to be about twice this length. I'm only frustrated Talo because in that brief a period you managed to totally draw me into the characters and storyline and after capturing my undivided attention   you left me grasping the doorframe watching your dark figure disappear into the rain.

Of course its all positives, sort of. That you managed to so thoroughly engage us in the characters and plot in such a short amount of time was a great achievement.

I was also captivated by your condensed, free flowing, lucid yet easy to read, writing style that took full advantage of the limited words that you allowed yourself. 

if only it were twice as long with twice the content, then I would have been sated. 

Sometimes brevity drives the point home more effectively, though.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well done, Talo. One point I should make: Milo ended happily, so happy endings are not out of your realm.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Arran said:

One point I should make: Milo ended happily, so happy endings are not out of your realm.

You raise a very interesting point about happy endings. I'm not sure that every story needs a happy ending, it's nice if the story ends with hope, but sometimes stories might not end with either. There is a great film (not sure if it's available in English) called Jack https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3469918/  It tells the moving story of a ten year old and his little brother, they live with their young mother, who whilst she loves her kids, she isn't mature enough to give them a proper life. Responsibility falls on the tiny shoulders of Jack. The boy is a brilliant actor. Anyhow things don't end great, but there is hope. I hope so anyway, although the ending is kind of open. I think those types of endings are powerful, real and heavy with emotion. I think I tend in that direction, that the story offers hope, if not entirely happy ever after.

I should add, I feel different about short stories. They encapsulate a brief encounter that may not end well, I think that depends on the theme or inspiration.

Edited by Talo Segura
  • Like 3
Link to comment

I liked it. I hate when bullies, young or old, win, but the fact us they do. I'm pretty sure Matthew feels debilitating shame for his violent response, while James feels none for his own viciousness. Sad, but good job, Talo. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..