Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 2,438 Words
  • 904 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ash's Marriage Trigger - 14. Chapter 14- The Test

Cove peered over at Ash, who had been sulking the entire drive back. While he had teased him about his 'birthday gift' to get Ash's mind off his argument with his parents, he hadn't expected the tactic to work quite well. Cove shook his head and tried his best to suppress a smile. Both of them became as immature as they'd been when they were in their early twenties lately.

“What would you like me to order for lunch, love?” Cove asked after pulling into the driveway.

“Lunch?” Ash returned as his attention shifted.

"Your birthday, your choice. We'll need the energy later if I'm to be the dessert."

Ash stared at Cove's face without blinking as his mind registered what the silver-eyed man said. "Wait, I thought you said-" He paused momentarily. "Were you playing with me!"

Cove nodded, unable to hide his grin that time. “And you agreed that there is always next year, therefore, admitting that you want us to be together until then.”

The copper-eyed man's jaw dropped as he frowned and pointed in Cove's general direction. "Wait, what does that make us, then?"

“Partners, I’d hope. Unless you’d rather we call each other by something else?”

Ash thought about it for a moment. When they first got together, they referred to one another as boyfriends. Though they were lovers in the present, it would be awkward to refer to Cove as just a lover, considering how often Ash kept sleeping over for longer and longer periods of time.

"No, I think partners would be fine…" he decided. Ash heard the click of Cove's seat belt release, and the next thing he knew, his face was held in Cove's hands. He was given a few tender kisses. Ash felt a pleasant tingle rolling down his body in response. When the other man drew back, he couldn't tell if he was happy or sad from the mixed expression on his face. But, then Cove smiled.

“Come on, food’s on me.”

::::

A nude Cove stretched onto the bed with his hands behind his head. Ash could trace every flat mole on the man's body as if he were playing connect-the-dots if he wanted to. He could also bite or suck each and every one of them. Ash hissed and held the area where the head of his cock joined the shaft and tried to force himself to calm down.

Ash used to bend Cove over all surfaces when they were younger without hesitation. The Cove before him wanted to take the lead most of the time, and Ash didn't usually mind it. But, to have free reign on his birthday? Ash began by claiming the other man's mouth. His tongue slid along Cove's with fervor until he ultimately sucked on the tip of his tongue. He then decided to prep Cove while deep-throating him.

“Ash,” Cove groaned when Ash’s fingers rubbed his sac while his tongue dug into the underside down to the base. “F-fuck!”

It wasn't long before Ash thrust into Cove's inner walls at a fast pace with a much slower pace mixed in between. Cove would grasp Ash's thighs and back whenever he urged him further. Ash released first, slamming as deep inside as he could reach. While Cove began his peak while stroking himself, Ash took over with his mouth just before the fluid spilled forth.

“I should let you do that more often,” Cove said aloud.

"So, you admit you've been doing it on purpose," Ash grumbled.

“No, not intentionally. I guess I was a bit repressed.”

"God damn, all this time, that was you just being repressed?"

"You didn't exactly help. You kept goading me along."

“I will never not goad you on,” Ash admitted. “That has never changed.”

“In that case, Happy Birthday.”

“It’s a lot happier now than what it was earlier. So, when do we have to pick up mini-me again?”

As badly as Cove wanted to broach the subject, he knew it would be better to not draw attention to how Ash and Ashley addressed one another. He worried that his beloved would spook if he shone any light on the subject. It had taken three months just for Ash to verbally agree they were partners.

"I was thinking of heading over in a few," Cove responded. "We should have plenty of time to clean up, go, and return before it gets too late. Do you have to wake up early for work?"

“I’ll be fine. I really gotta remember to bring some of my clothes over,” Ash murmured.

“You can bring some with you next weekend?”

"Is that okay?"

“Why wouldn’t it be?”

“You just suggested it as a question,” Ash pointed out. “Sounded to me like you were unsure.”

“Yes, just not about the clothes,” Cove replied with a sigh. “I love having you over. Ashley does, too. I just don’t want you to feel like you should always come over as if it were some kind of obligation. I want you to want to spend time with us.”

Ash felt his heart skip a beat, and he wanted to slap himself in the face for always turning into mush around the Mitchells. "There's no problem then," he admitted. "Cause I do. Just don't tell Ashley I said that."

“I won’t,” Cove agreed, feeling relieved.

::::

The drive to the town where the Butlers lived took about a half hour. The house was large and spacious, allowing two families to live comfortably together. The garden leading up to the place looked more like a jungle. The driveway was curved and extended, allowing six cars to be parked. Before they reached the entrance, Todd opened the front door, and Ashley rushed right past him.

"Daddy! Bigger-me!" Ashley greeted as her father lifted her into his arms. "Grandma made sancocho for everyone. It's so good."

Ash looked towards Cove for clarification, but it was Todd that answered. “It’s a delicious stew of seven meats, roots, and veggies. Didn’t expect to see you too, Barren.”

"Keep calling me Barren, and I'll call you Butler," Ash countered.

“Oh, I answer to both,” Todd responded with a dimpled grin that reminded him of Ashley. “Welcome to our home.”

Cove couldn’t hide the mirth on his face at their interaction and even snickered when Ash sent a glare his way. When the four of them went inside, Todd didn’t hesitate to announce them.

“¡Llego Cove con su jevo!” (Cove’s arrived with his boo/boyfriend)

The announcement caused a commotion in which several Butler family members surrounded them in a semi-circle to get a good look at Ash.

“No me digas," an elderly woman said as she swatted her way through the group to stand before Ash. She took his face in her hands and gently patted one of his cheeks. "¡Tan bello!" (Don't tell me, but more in the "you're kidding!" sense; So gorgeous/beautiful.)

"Nice to meet you, too," Ash replied. Though he didn't catch everything said, he did grasp that last one. A blush formed on his face and down his neck.

They were ushered to the living room to sit and eat snacks. The Butlers were half-Dominican, Ashley's grandmother being full-blooded. Every now and then, her husband would translate for her. But, the rest of the family spoke English fluently. Grandma Butler's favorite sister married another woman, so they were all raised far more open-mindedly than the average Hispanic family. They were warm and friendly, like Todd, although Ash hated admitting it.

Ashley drew her dad's attention just as the group gathered in the kitchen to eat. "I want to go see mom," she requested. "With Bigger-me."

Cove glanced at Ash and then back at Ashley. “Maybe I should come with you both this time-”

But Ashley shook her head. "Just Bigger-me.”

Ash had never seen such a weary expression on Cove’s face. The silver-eyed man took Ash aside and spoke in hushed tones. “Leslie lives in the basement under the house, all of her own choosing. She’s doing much better and hasn’t had an explosive fit in years. Everything should be fine. But, if not, don't hesitate to call my cell, and we'll head over there."

The copper-eyed man looked down as Ashley took him by the hand and led him out of the house through the back door. They walked down a small set of stairs and ended up in front of a door at the base. When he looked down at the little girl again, her gaze appeared far away. After a moment, she finally looked back at him.

“Ready?” She asked, and Ash didn’t know whether she asked it to herself or was referring to him, but he definitely wanted to respond ‘No.’

However, he was the adult, the chosen chaperone. He didn't want to let Ashley down. So, he nodded, and the two of them knocked and waited for an answer before walking in. The room was well-lit on the inside despite the lack of windows. Leslie was seated on the bed, reading a book.

Ash had only caught a brief glimpse of her thirteen years ago. But she was as beautiful as she ever was. Her hair and skin resembled Ashley's, but her eyes were green. Ash felt a tighter squeeze on his hand, and he turned his attention back to the child.

“Mother, this is Ash. Ash Barren,” Ashley introduced. “Big- um, Ash, this is my mother, Leslie Butler.”

Ash didn't know what shocked him the most, the fact that Ashley knew their full names so well or how she introduced them. Leslie placed a bookmark on the page she was on and set the book aside before pinning Ash with her green eyes like a cat shifting its focus to an insect.

"Your name, albeit in variations, is often on the child's lips," Leslie commented. Out of all the people the child had brought to the test, she was eagerly anticipating this one. If Ashley learned anything from her, it was proper introductions with farewells and how to rile someone up. "Unlike her father, who chose to suffer your memory in relative silence."

What did she mean by that? Had Cove told her about having Ash meet him on their wedding day? And what was her deal with proper introductions and referring to Ashley as 'the child?'

"You look confused," Leslie stated. "Todd told me that you were the one who had broken Cove's heart before we started dating, and now you seem to have mended it back together again."

Why the fuck was Ash in that room? He was the ex that got back together with Leslie's ex-husband. He couldn't begin to imagine how she viewed him from her perspective. "Right," he responded. "If my presence is making you uncomfortable, I can just go-"

"The person showing signs of discomfort is you, Ash Barren." Leslie refuted. The child had brought a flighty one with her this time, hadn't she?
He felt another tight squeeze on his hand that reminded him that he wasn't the only one who wasn't pleased with the tension in the room. Ash was there as Ashley's chaperone. So, he needed to focus on that. But, when he glanced at the little girl, she seemed relatively calm.

“You have an amazing daughter,” Ash confessed. “She is clever and wise beyond her years. Cove’s been taking great care of her.”

Oh please, that child is more clever than you, Leslie thought as she looked down and saw the little brat give her usual signal to go on. It was time for the test. Let’s see if the cowardly bunny before me is of any use. Leslie didn't care either way, but she and the child had made a pact. It was the one thing Ashley had asked her for, and it entertained Leslie enough. As someone who struggled with anger issues, it was always refreshing to rile someone else up so they were also angry. Their pact was a win-win situation.

Leslie sent Ashley a practiced glare that had Ash questioning her next move. She then shook her head and tutted. “That fucking child?” She scoffed with intentional derision. “She was an accident that should have never happened.”

Ash was glad that his instant reaction to hearing the profanity Leslie used was to cover up Ashley’s ears tightly because the rest of her statement had been worse than the initial curse. “What the freaking hell?” Ash hissed, keeping Ashley’s ears sealed. “I understand that you might feel that way, but you shouldn’t say such things with Ashley in the room! I highly doubt your parents ever said such things to you.”

Leslie raised an elegant brow, her expression changing from annoyance to amusement. Jittery as he was, he reacted rather quickly. Some other adults had merely left and carried Ashley away from the 'altercation.' "She's of no relation to you, yet you protect her so," she observed. "How interesting."

Ash shook his head and frowned at the woman, feeling more unbalanced than a newborn colt. Was she playing mind games with him? He opened his mouth to say something, but Ashley patted his hands before he could say anything else. With a small gasp, he released her ears.

"I'm sorry. Did I hurt you?" He asked as he got down on one knee to assess the little girl. "Are you okay?"

Round, silver eyes stared into copper for a long moment before Ashley glanced towards the woman on the bed. She then walked over to Leslie and extended her hand. “Goodbye, mother.”

Leslie tilted her head as she took her hand and shook it. Whenever she'd prepare to leave, the child would always promise to see her later after Leslie explained the finality of an actual goodbye. The woman felt she'd be seeing less of the child, if at all. Especially if she was saying goodbye. "You've made up your mind, I see," she responded. "Take good care of your father for me."

Ash watched the interaction with even more confusion than before. But, when the little girl walked back to him with her arms raised, he instinctively lifted her into his arms. She was heavy, but he could handle the weight without difficulty.

“I want to go home,” Ashley whispered as one of her hands clutched his shirt tightly.

Ash swallowed hard around a lump in his throat. “We’ll be heading out, then,” He told Leslie before leaving the room and heading back up the stairs. All he could think about was how quiet and still the little girl in his arms remained.

Copyright © 2022 Thirdly; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 11
  • Wow 5
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 minutes ago, Hellsheild said:

Damn! Jarring isn't enough of a word for that interaction. It was like watching 2 people play chess and a third playing checkers at the same table at the same time.

That's kind of how it felt writing it. @LunaM.was my witness and collaborator on this one.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Some people should simply never be involved in any way with the lives of children.  Leslie is a prime example of Exhibit A.   Interestingly enough, Mini-Me knew exactly where to turn for the comfort she needed.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

Some people should simply never be involved in any way with the lives of children.  Leslie is a prime example of Exhibit A.   Interestingly enough, Mini-Me knew exactly where to turn for the comfort she needed.

That scenario played differently every time Ashley brought someone with her. Mini-me was comparing them all, including Leslie. But, it probably still stung either way. The way that @LunaM.described it best was "ripping off the band-aid in one go rather than tugging it off gradually." That goodbye was Ashley ripping that band-aid off. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Down South we say children like Ashley are old souls, and/or that they’ve been here before.

Ashley has definitely been here before, lol. “Wise beyond her years” is an understatement.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Geemeedee said:

Down South we say children like Ashley are old souls, and/or that they’ve been here before.

Ashley has definitely been here before, lol. “Wise beyond her years” is an understatement.

Either she's an old soul or her young soul became old after all she's gone through.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

With Leslie as a mother, Mini-Me had no choice but to develop an ‘Old Soul!’

Something like that.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

It took a while, but finally Ash and Cove are now partners.  With Cove's comment about being dessert, I laughed when he said, "Come on, food's on me."  It sounded at first like he was saying he'd be the plate off which Ash at the food.  Leslie was an awkward surprise.  She was just as bad as I had expected.  Ash being a test subject in a test designed by Ashley was a surprise.  Ash passed the test that others before failed.  Amazing writing.

Edited by raven1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, raven1 said:

It took a while, but finally Ash and Cove are now partners.  With Cove's comment about being desert, I laughed when he said, "Come on, food's on me."  It sounded at first like he was saying he'd be the plate off which Ash at the food.  Leslie was an awkward surprise.  She was just as bad as I had expected.  Ash being a test subject in a test designed by Ashley was a surprise.  Ash passed the test that others before failed.  Amazing writing.

It's funny that you mentioned that because I really did briefly think of tossing whipped cream or chocolate syrup in the mix. But, since they were picking up Ashley, that'd have been a bigger mess to clean up. But, I wouldn't put it past them to use edibles in their play. And the others hadn't really failed the test, it was more of a way for Ashley to compare the love others had for her in comparison to her mother. Ash being the last test gave Ashley the guts to let her mother go, because up until that moment Ash had never failed her, in her eyes. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

We witnessed, (read) about, 'checking'  a particular box. Or closing a door? Opening one?

  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Aditus said:

We witnessed, (read) about, 'checking'  a particular box. Or closing a door? Opening one?

All of the above.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..