Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 1,006 Words
  • 1,275 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ash's Marriage Trigger - 6. Chapter 6- It Can't Hurt

Ash focused on the conversation that Siena and Cove brought to the table. They spoke about their respective careers. But, most importantly, what they needed to sacrifice to make time for their families. Though he couldn’t completely relate, he appreciated hearing about their struggles. Ash felt less alone in his frustrations that way.

Before they knew it, it was time to pay for their meals.

After she finished eating, Siena made excuses and left Ash behind with Cove. The copper-eyed man had his suspicions about her tactics. But, he had to admit that the two of them had been a welcome distraction from the chaos at work.

“Do I have to go back?” Ash whined aloud. “I don’t want to go back.” The complaints were childish, but they carried a truth that he didn’t want to admit just then. In the past, at his workplace, the good days and bad days were balanced. That past year, however, the bad days outnumbered the good days. More often than not, the reasons were out of his control, but they still affected his confidence.

“While I can’t do much for your mental strain, I can show you a few reverse isometrics you could do while seated at your desk so you feel the less physical strain if you’d like,” Cove offered. As much as he’d like to convince Ash to take more considerable risks, Cove knew that he couldn’t persuade him into anything he didn’t already have in mind. He decided to support him in other ways instead.

“Well, it can’t hurt.”

Cove hadn’t expected Ash to agree. But, he recovered quickly and thought of what exercises would be best to perform in an office setting for a beginner. Siena had also mentioned that Ash had trouble with his shoulders sometimes.

“Sit sideways, and I’ll show you, Sit upright with your hands on your knees. Then, slowly slide your hands back as you pull your shoulders back and pinch your scapula together like you’re holding something in place right back here,” Cove instructed as he gently pressed his fingers to the upper center of Ash’s back. “Hold the pinch for a few seconds and slowly release. Repeat every time you get a chance.”

He then stood up and walked around to face Ash. He cupped the brunet’s face with his hands and gently slid his fingers down the side of his neck, gently holding his chin with both thumbs. “For your neck, I want you to carefully tilt your head upward and hold it for a few seconds. Then, slowly stretch it back down for a few seconds. Do the same from side to side. Take your time and concentrate on your posture.”

Ash found concentrating hard, just feeling Cove’s hands on his skin. The taller man was courteous and professional the entire time. His sincerity seemed genuine. But Ash still couldn’t help the warmth that fluttered in his abdomen at his proximity. “Y-yeah, I get it,” he replied as he gently pulled Cove’s hands away from his face. “Thank you.”

“Ash, won’t you join us for dinner?”

“What?” Ash questioned, the invitation taking him by surprise.

“Friday night, I mean.”

“By us, I’m guessing you mean you and Ashley?”

Cove nodded. “She wants to give you her drawing personally…not to mention I’d really like to see you.”

Ash took a deep breath and thought it through. Ashley would be disappointed if he declined at this moment, but his heart would be safe for at least another week. If he accepted, there was no telling what the Mitchells had in mind. However, he’d also be able to keep that drawing forever as a keepsake of a bold little kid that once called him her ‘bigger-me.’

“Alright,” Ash agreed as they stood up to leave the restaurant. “Just text me the address and what time before then.”

Cove’s face lit up, and Ash’s heart skipped a beat. For a brief moment, it was like the two of them picked back up again from where they left off thirteen years ago. A familiar song began to play in the restaurant. The melancholic romantic intro prompted a frown to form on Ash’s face. MacAsher’s Park?

“I’ll text you later this evening,” Cove said as he gave Ash a quick hug before taking his leave.


Ash stood there for a moment, feeling a bit stunned. He glanced towards their table. It was already being cleared for the next group to sit down. He wondered why he agreed to such a thing. Ashley or not, a dinner invitation was a date.

I’d really like to see you.

An alarm went off on his phone to remind him to make his way back to clock-in on time. He rushed back and tried to cast all thoughts of Cove aside. The second half of the work day was as frazzling as the first. Ash prided himself in getting a certain amount of work done daily. Mr. Bowman’s expectations exceeded that amount once every few months.

That evening, he didn’t need Brittany to remind him to clock out on time. He counted it down to the second and rushed out of the building before anyone could ask any more of him. Those were the days when Ash was tempted to resort to liquor. But he was far too tired to stop at a store, and he made a point not to keep any vices inside his apartment.

Cove: [address shared] Would 7 pm on Friday be too soon for you?

Ash's numbness began to take on color when the notification came in. He was conflicted. A part of him didn’t want to fuck up such a simple little date, and that meant that another part of him looked forward to it. Ash touched the screen on the phone as if he were trying to reach through the device to Cove himself. The teardrop that fell onto the glass surprised him.

He lifted a hand to his cheek and wiped at the wet trail.

Copyright © 2022 Thirdly; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 12
  • Wow 6
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

8 minutes ago, mfa607 said:

Poor Ash!

He's stressing about things he shouldn't even be fretting about. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Ash is certainly a flight rather than a fight person. I hope he gives himself permission to be vulnerable with Cove and Smaller Me. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Doha said:

Ash is certainly a flight rather than a fight person. I hope he gives himself permission to be vulnerable with Cove and Smaller Me. 

Agreed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Ash's resolve is beginning to dissolve.  To be honest I think he really does want to be with Cove, but can't get past his denial.  I think there is a trap set up by Cove and Ash's family with Ashley as the bait.  Ash is probably aware of the trap, but uses the possibility of hurting Ashley as an excuse to fall into the trap.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, raven1 said:

Ash's resolve is beginning to dissolve.  To be honest I think he really does want to be with Cove, but can't get past his denial.  I think there is a trap set up by Cove and Ash's family with Ashley as the bait.  Ash is probably aware of the trap, but uses the possibility of hurting Ashley as an excuse to fall into the trap.

Though he isn't even collaborating with the Barren family yet, you're right on the money with everything else.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..