Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 1,108 Words
  • 1,199 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ash's Marriage Trigger - 3. Chapter 3- Coincidences

"Bam and bam!" Ash's brother, Sage, declared as he got rid of the remaining cards in his hand.

"You can't just show up late and then just up and beat everyone," Siena huffed as she began to pick up all of the Phase 10 cards and began to stack them back into the tin with Ashley's help. While the youngest of the group didn't fully grasp the entire game yet, she did her best to help Siena choose her sets.

"I can't help it if I got lucky," Sage countered. "The game is always more difficult when more than two people are playing."

"For not having played it in a while, you nearly had him, Cove," Ash commented after handing over his remaining cards to Siena.

"I only had good cards during the first half," Cove admitted.

Sage had arrived after lunch, and the Barren siblings managed to rope Cove into a few games. Siena and Sage were a bit too intense during the first few. Ash was embarrassed in their stead. They were terrible examples of good sportsmanship for little Ashley. Hell, she behaved better than grown adults ten times her age.

"Next time, we'll have games you can play, too, Ashley," Ash said aloud without thinking. That implied that there would be a 'next time.' Why did he keep digging his own grave?

"Yay!" She responded.

Ashley had never seen her dad laugh so much, not even when they played games together. When the adults competed, they reminded her of the families she read about and watched in movies and shows. That made her giddy for some reason. As fun as it had been when Siena explained how the games worked and who was winning, it was even more fun to see her dad acting just like the others.

"As great as it was to see all of you again, I think it's time we headed back home," Cove announced as he lifted a pouting Ashley into his arms.

"It was great seeing you again, Cove, and it was lovely meeting you, Ashley." Ash's mother said.

"Ash or not, remember that you are always welcome here," Ash's father added. "And you were definitely missed."

Tch! Why did it sound as if they were welcoming home a prodigal son in Cove? What was Ash, then, chopped liver?

"It was nice seeing everyone again. Thanks again for inviting us, Aster. And thanks so much for the food, Sandy."

"Oh, sweetie. You don't have to be with Ash to call us mom and dad," Sandy chided. "It's so odd hearing you call us anything else. Right, honey?"

"I feel the same," Aster agreed. "Leave Ash out of the equation and keep calling us your second set of parents, son."

The audacity! Ash could hardly believe what he was hearing. So, Cove was their adopted golden child all of a sudden?

Sage pressed three fingers under his older brother's chin. "Hey, keep your jaw dropped open for so long, and flies will get in." He then slapped Ash's back. "And don't take it so hard. They were the same with Siena's Abe and my Erin. Granted, they're our spouses, and you two never made it official, did ya?"

"How far along is Erin now?" Ash asked through gritted teeth, trying desperately to change the subject.

"Six months! Looking forward to being an uncle for the umpteenth time?"

"Yeah," Ash responded. "I'll be sure to spoil the baby so hard they won't even remember who their father is."

"Hey!" Sage scoffed. "No need to go that far!"

Cove and Ashley said their goodbyes to Sage and Siena, who then shoved Ash forward as a hint for him to walk them out politely. Feeling chagrined, Ash walked them over to their car. Just as Cove unlocked the vehicle, Ashley began to shake her head.

"Wait, daddy, I wanna give bigger-me a hug goodbye!" She pleaded.

Cove glanced Ash's way as if to excuse her insistence. But Ash already had his arms held out to carry the little girl. As Ash held her, she squeezed him into a child's tight hug. However, the kiss she pressed to his cheek startled the shit out of him. Luckily, he didn't drop her. Cove then strapped Ashley to her car seat.

Ash swallowed in nervousness when Cove turned towards him.

"Think it through, Ash." Cove insisted. "You have my number for whatever you decide or if you just want to talk."

"No, I don't," Ash replied with a slight frown. The two of them hadn't exchanged numbers yet.

"Siena added it in during one of your bathroom breaks."

"She what?" Ash asked as he immediately checked his phone and scrolled down the contacts list. At first, he couldn't find Cove anywhere. Then, he found what Siena labeled his number. Crush Daddy? Seriously? When the hell had she figured out his unlock pattern!? "Do you have mine?"

"Yes, Siena gave it to me, as well," Cove admitted. "Is that alright? I can delete it if it makes you uncomfortable."

"N-no, that's fine."

Cove gave Ash another smile that made his heartbeat kick up. Stop it! He argued with his own body. An exchange of numbers was nothing. So what if Cove expressed intentions of wanting to get back together? They probably wouldn't cross paths again after this. Ash didn't want them to. What happened was just some rare incident.

"Then, I look forward to your call or text." Cove leaned down to whisper into Ash's ear before pressing a kiss to Ash's cheek.

The shorter man stood in place long after the Mitchells pulled out of the driveway and drove off. First, the daughter and then the father? On each of his cheeks, to boot!

Ash had to push down the urge to scream. When he turned back towards the house, Siena and Sage wore identical smug expressions on their faces. How long had they been standing outside the door? They'd seen everything, didn't they? Damn siblings.

"Whatever you both are thinking, it's not happening," Ash declared.

"I don't know," Siena drawled. "I've never seen anyone name their child after an ex."

"There is no way that's true!" Ash rebutted with wide eyes. "It's just a coincidence!"

Sage slapped Ash's back. "Or it would be if we hadn't heard it directly from the horse's mouth. Cute origin story, too."

"Tell me you're joking," Ash pleaded.

"Ask Cove yourself if you don't believe us," Siena taunted.

Nope. That was never going to happen. Ash refused to allow them to bait him into such a thing. If all went well, he'd never contact Cove ever again.


 

Copyright © 2022 Thirdly; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 10
  • Haha 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

27 minutes ago, mfa607 said:

Great chapter! Maybe Ash will be the last one to know, as they’re walking down the aisle. 😂 

Oh, THAT he is aware of for sure, his trigger, the M word...we'll see what happens, though. :devil:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Hellsheild said:

ah siblings can't live with them, can't legally remove them from the population i give up GIF

LMAO!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Gary L said:

A really fun read. So relate to poor Ash. 
good work ✍️ 

Ash will get where we want him to be...eventually. 😂

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

That was a fun party. With Ashley and his family pushing hard, Ash is going to be caught real quick. 😆 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Doha said:

That was a fun party. With Ashley and his family pushing hard, Ash is going to be caught real quick. 😆 

Ah, but caught rabbits can still scamper away...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/24/2022 at 7:33 AM, Aditus said:

If all went well, he'd never contact Cove ever again.

Yeah, right.

With this family---Looking forward how he'll try to get out of this  trap.

My thoughts!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Ash is going to be glad his sister is so sneaky.  At least we know that Cove will have no problem with the in-laws in the future.  If Cove is smart he'll set a trap and use Ash's family to chase Ash into the trap.  I'd suggest he use Ashley as the bait.  She is adorable and smart!  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Ash is going to be glad his sister is so sneaky.  At least we know that Cove will have no problem with the in-laws in the future.  If Cove is smart he'll set a trap and use Ash's family to chase Ash into the trap.  I'd suggest he use Ashley as the bait.  She is adorable and smart!  

Ah, but Cove doesn't want to hold him hostage for real (trap him on occasion, yes, but hostage for life, no).

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Siena, Sage, Sandy, Aster, Ash... is that a coincidence?

Yes, I'm reading the story again... I didn't want to jump into the middle not knowing wtf is going on.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Aditus said:

Siena, Sage, Sandy, Aster, Ash... is that a coincidence?

Yes, I'm reading the story again... I didn't want to jump into the middle not knowing wtf is going on.

Not a coincidence at all. When I chose Barren as Ash's name, I made the rest of the family's names desert-themed because I'm a total dork. 😂

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Thirdly said:

I made the rest of the family's names desert-themed because I'm a total dork

Well, I noticed it which means I'm a dork too.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Aditus said:

Well, I noticed it which means I'm a dork too.

No, you're just awesome. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..