Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 2,204 Words
  • 1,135 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
p style="text-align:center;"> spacer.png

The Dawn’s Dusk - 5. Chapter 5- Trust and Loyalty

spacer.png

Warning: Body shaming?

Out of the impressive spread of fruits and pastries laid out on the table that morning, I immediately went for the arecs. The fruits had already been split open, revealing the semi-sweet juice inside. I drank the fluid first and then took an eager bite. The flesh of the arec gave way quickly into a satisfying crunch. Arecs grew on the far edges of the land, and Owin would always bring me a sackful.

"Anya's cef-turnovers are the best I've ever tasted, and yet, I've never seen you eat one," Eld Emery pointed out as he all but snuck up behind me.

"I've never enjoyed the taste of cefs," I admitted. "Their fuzzy texture feels awful on my tongue."

"I prefer the texture of cefs to arecs, myself. More for each of us, I suppose."

The arec I had been finishing somehow became sour in my mouth as I swallowed it down. I realized that it was the first interaction I've had with the older wyvern after the Eld had left for supplies. Not only had I probably disappointed Eld Emery. But, I had also upset Vis Sepherus all on the same day.

When I glanced over at the Scholar, his lilac eyes were already trained on my face. The slight shiver of fear that passed over me was utterly involuntary. Just how angry was he? Would he cast my useless self out of the estate?

"Rhyad, I am not an alpha," Emery confessed.

The words took me by such surprise that they were more than enough for me to forget my own concerns in favor of his. The Eld's aura was usually so intimidating that I never would have believed he could be anything other than an alpha. He didn't sound like he was jesting.

"I gave up the right to be an alpha when I chose to be Favored by Dusk."

My brows lifted as I tried to wrap my head around that massive revelation. Choosing to be Favored by Dusk meant a physical change from male to female or vice versa. A wyvern had the option to change their sex, but they had to forgo becoming an alpha or omega. They were also unable to bear any whelps of their own.

"Th-thank you for trusting me with such a personal matter," I managed to respond while my mind continued to spin. "Know that I won't willingly betray that trust."

I had long wondered why such a distinguished Eld didn't already have a family of his own. But, I didn't feel it was ever the right time to ask. Even as a Dusk beta, Emery was still considered a desirable match. The hand that he held in front of me prompted me to shake it.

"If you accept this aged Scholar as he is, a Dusk beta, then I would be honored to extend your training until well after the Troth Season."

"Aged? You are hardly aged!" I countered. Eld Emery carried four decades; young for an Advisor. I felt my vision become blurred with tears that I tried my best not to shed. Emery had not only dispelled my fear of being kicked out of the estate, but he had also provided me with a possible future refuge. "Are you certain about taking me on as an apprentice?"

"I've no doubt."

I rushed forward to give the Eld a hug, only to immediately release him from my grip. "Forgive my rudeness. It's just that you're the best Scholar I've ever come across...the honor is all mine!"

The dark-skinned wyvern nonchalantly tidied his uniform before he broke into his usual devious smirk. "If that's how you feel, then I suggest that you hold onto that opinion during today's lesson."

Uh-oh. Just what did Emery mean by that?

::::

Eld Emery Tesran, the wyvern that I had the privilege to call Scholar, had a magnificent winged form. He was as elegant and intimidating as ever, even when he donned steel-blue scales and platinum frills. His lavender eyes, though slitted, held the same strict gaze. Emery carried himself with more confidence and grace in his winged form than most alphas. How was he even considered a beta?

The two of us walked out to a distant field about an hour away. To communicate with the Eld, I had to shift into my winged form, as well. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. A sharp throb started at my forehead and spread down around my eyes. After the initial pulse of pain, the rest of the conversion felt like a luxurious stretch. My arms became broad and sturdy wings. The strength from the climbing and stunts my brother and I had done over the years carried over into my winged form.

The scales on my body were a dull, cinereous grey and the frills down my back were the same brown hue as my hair. All Unfavored betas had dull shades in their alternate forms. I felt that mine were more boring than most, especially in comparison to striking Dusk betas such as Eld Emery. I heard the bones in my claws crack as I took a few balancing steps forward.

'There is no one around for miles,' Emery told me in Kedoryn. 'Let alone in winged form. With that in mind, I hope that you feel you can speak freely.'

The tips of my forked tongue pressed against the back of my upper fangs as I gulped. What did the Eld want to talk so candidly about? Had I caused the cleaning staff too much trouble with the pastels I smeared on my uniforms? I could always wash them myself by hand if needed.

'What were your thoughts whenever you attempted to fly with your brother?'

I instinctively folded my wings closed tightly at the thought of flying. My talons wiggled nervously in the patch of grass beneath me. I tilted my head back to look out for any possible clouds in the sky. I only saw one distant, streaky cirrus cloud. That was far too wispy to form storms, wasn't it? I wasn't so sure. Couldn't lightning come down out of the blue even without any visible clouds?

'Rhyad, please...what are your thoughts right now?'

'Can s-spider lightning form in wispy clouds?'

'No, at least not in that cloud,' Emery affirmed. 'Tell me, do you have a fear of heights? Is it only the prospect of storms that worries you?'

'Heights are fine,' I responded. 'My brother and I've climbed many structures. But, when a storm approaches, I can feel it beneath my skin...almost like static.'

'Do you have any desire to someday fly by your own means?'

Emery's voice wasn't condescending or pitying. To me, it sounded like genuine curiosity. I only wanted to fly in the past to please Owin and stop being a burden to my parents. Was there ever a moment when I wanted to fly for myself? I closed my blue-grey eyes and thought of my first glide. It had been accidental. Owin and I had climbed a massive tree.

My older brother already knew how to fly, which surprised me when he glided down to the ground instead of taking off high over the trees. I had underestimated the strength needed to force my wings open. But, when I had managed it, the snatch force lifted me enough to give me a thrill before I crashed against my brother.

My first real flight hadn't gone nearly as well. The ghost of the scent of my own flesh burning made my nostrils flare. Was I going to allow fear to keep me from learning such an essential skill?

'I do want to learn to fly,' I divulged. 'I want to push past my fear. I just don't know how.'

The Eld walked towards what looked like a massive party tent with a tarp that was the same golden yellow as my brother's eyes. Was the ceremony going to be held there? As I followed him, I wondered if the hue had been intentional.

'This is for the post-Troth reception,' Emery explained, clearing all my doubts. 'For your brother.'

He said the word 'brother' with such aversion that I found it strange for someone who had never even met Owin...or, had he?

'Eld, why is it that you dislike my brother so much?' I questioned.

Emery let out a long sigh as he crouched down on his legs and folded his wings back in a resting position. Before I realized it, I mirrored his action. We were shielded from the sun and weather beneath the tarp of the tent. I felt oddly safe.

'I confess that I have a warped idea of your older sibling,' the Scholar explained. 'He charmed Sepherus in a similar way as someone who had once caused him added pain. I'd prefer Seph mate with someone that was less...adventurous.'

I bristled at his view of Owin. He couldn't be more wrong. 'Eld, I have much respect for you, but my brother is not the kind of adventurer you imagine him to be. He's a vivid guy, and he sometimes does things without fully thinking them through...but he's the most loyal person I know.'

To my surprise, the lavender-eyed wyvern actually appeared chagrined.

'You have a point,' Emery agreed. 'I should reserve my judgment until I truly get to know him, regardless of whether I feel he is a wrong fit for Sepherus or not.'

My heart gave a hard thump. Owin was definitely a good fit for our patron. I should be happy for them both, for their future union. Why did I feel upset? What was wrong with me?

'You seem to love your brother a good deal. I imagine you were the only one left behind during Soaring Seasons?'

I shook my head. 'He always tried to get me to learn to fly so that he wouldn't have to go alone. Our parents were too busy to go with him after that first time. My brother had seen other families attending. After the third year of going alone, Owin stopped attending altogether. '

'Did you feel pressured whenever he urged you to learn?'

'Yeah...I mean, I wanted to make him happy.'

'And your parents, as well?'

'To stop embarrassing them…'

'Rhyad, tell me,' Emery coaxed. 'How often have your parents made you feel less in comparison to Owin?'

I lowered my head. 'I understand why when their second son is such a disappointment.'

Emery looked like he was struggling to hold back a growl. It was a similar expression that Owin had whenever he stood up for me. I felt a warmth in my core that was usually reserved for my brother and suddenly wanted nothing more than to properly introduce Owin to Emery.

'It's alright,' I added. 'I don't mind it all that much. Though lately, their expectations have become an even bigger burden on Owin-'

'How so?'

My breath hitched when I almost let the news of Owin's escape slip. 'O-only that everyone goes through tough times in general?' I winced at my weak response. As much as I trusted Emery as a person, I didn't want to ruin Sepherus and Owin's union. Emery didn't seem convinced with my answer, but he didn't get a chance to pry any further when none other than Vis Sepherus wandered into the tent in his squill form.

"Hmm, I'm familiar with Emery's winged form, but," Sepherus mused aloud as his turquoise eyes raked over my form for so long that it made me nervous. "Rhyad?"

"Did you say Rhyad?"

My heart leapt to my throat when my mother, Aris Rina Edesia herself, walked into the tent behind Vis Sepherus. My left rib throbbed as if someone had stabbed me in that area. She was going to be so cross with me.

"Rhyad!" She hissed as she placed her hands on her hips. "What in the Azure do you think you're doing, parading your winged form in front of these fine gentlemen? Such an unpleasant scar would give anyone nightmares."

I lowered my head in shame, curling my scarless wing around myself like a cocoon to hide. I had shifted because I trusted Emery not to be revulsed, as he had inspected my scar earlier. Had I known that anyone else would have caught sight of me, I wouldn't have shifted at all. I heard the lowest of growls from Emery's general direction before our patron's voice cut through.

"Aris Rina," Sepherus addressed in a tone so cold that it made me want to shrink further. "I assure you that nothing about Rhyad is unpleasant. Now, if you would please follow me to the area where we plan to meet the guests."

'She's gone, young one,' Eld Emery announced a moment later in a tone so soft that, even in Kedoryn, it was almost soothing.

I lifted my wing just enough to peek at him. I couldn't have felt more childish or more embarrassed, for that matter. What grown wyvern hid like a whelp?

'Neither Sepherus nor I feel you are inferior in any way. Your scars don't define you,' Emery insisted. 'I hope you eventually realize that.'

spacer.png
Copyright © 2021 Thirdly; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 5
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1
p style="text-align:center;"> spacer.png
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ugh can we push mom off a balcony? 

Sorry got a thing about balconies today thats the rhird time ive suggested someone be pushed off one.

 I think rhyad has a gorgeous form!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Thirdly

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Ugh can we push mom off a balcony? 

Sorry got a thing about balconies today thats the third time ive suggested someone be pushed off one.

 I think rhyad has a gorgeous form!

Wes, I don't think I'll ever get that image out of my head, his mother being pushed off a balcony.🤣 And, yes! To anyone outside their culture, Rhyad looks awesome. I had actually designed his wyvern form with several pens while at work, so I'm proud of the original sketch, as well.

Edited by Thirdly
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well if the bitch had taken more care of her child; he might not have the scar...  Some just should never be parents...  Forget the balcony; let's go for a big splash in a volcano....

Excellent art work...  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Well if the bitch had taken more care of her child; he might not have the scar...  Some just should never be parents...  Forget the balcony; let's go for a big splash in a volcano....

Excellent art work...  

Agreed! Some couples have kids they don’t want while other couples that long for kids can’t have their own. And thank you! I love drawing dragons and their variations. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..