Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 1,870 Words
  • 1,488 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
p style="text-align:center;"> spacer.png

The Dawn’s Dusk - 4. Chapter 4- Old Scars, part 2

Warning: A stolen kiss. Scars. Unexpected sniffing?

When I came to, I could have sworn that I felt something slide across my lips. I took in the scent of a plant I had been studying. What was the name? Cojalis? When I opened my eyes, I saw Vis Sepherus standing a few steps away with his back towards me. I must have surely been imagining things. The blasted dreams were seeping into my consciousness.

"Here, drink this," Eld Emery urged as he rushed over to hand me a glass full of a brownish liquid. I didn't hesitate to sit upon the cot and take a sip. It was lukewarm and sweet with traces of cinnamon and the leaves of a plant I had studied before. "Mialat?"

The smirk that formed on the Scholar's face was one that I recognized as a show of pride. The plant's leaves had a calming effect when steeped as tea. Emery had me taste several teas at the greenhouse a week ago.

"I see that you haven't neglected your studies," Emery responded before his expression soured. "Now, would you please explain to me why it is that the mere thought of flying upsets you to the point of passing out?"

Tears brimmed in my eyes. Eld Emery seemed to be disappointed in me, and I couldn't even blame him. Flying to another region for supplies would have been an easy task for anyone else. I glanced nervously at Vis Sepherus, who had turned around to face me by then. As embarrassing as it would be with the dark-haired alpha there, I owed Emery an explanation.

"I think i-it would be easier i-if I showed you," I replied with a trembling voice. I carefully set my drink aside and untied my apron from behind the nape of my neck. Then, I tugged my uniform shirt off and turned around on the cot so that the older men could see my back. I heard a sharp gasp from the general direction of Sepherus. But, Eld Emery's warm hands almost immediately traced the scar that began from my shoulder blade outward.

"I've seen a similar pattern before, but not on a person," the Scholar admitted. "Am I right to assume that this tree-like scar was the result of lightning?"

"Were your wings damaged?" Vis Sepherus asked.

"Yes, at first...they're alright now. Owin's Scholars said that it's m-mental trauma that keeps me from flying."

"Have you tried flying since then?" Emery questioned.

"Yes, many times. My brother kept trying to encourage me over the years," I answered. "But, I've yet to conquer that fear."

"So, you've never attended Soaring Season with your family?" Sepherus prompted.

I shook my head and avoided his gaze. Owin had been the most excited when the time came for me to learn how to fly. He was eager for me to join him during Soaring Season because he always had to go alone. Our parents always claimed to be too busy to join him. Year after year, my brother had held on to the hope of my joining him to no avail.

"What happened?" the turquoise-eyed alpha continued. The words were spoken harshly as if Sepherus had been the one affronted. I found myself flinching away from the sharp tone. "You can't have tried flying during a storm! What parents would be so negligent…?" Sepherus would have gone on if Eld Emery had not placed a hand on his arm.

When they both looked at me, it was with pity. I felt a churning in my stomach at the thought. After a moment of tense silence, Eld Emery shook his head.

"Well, there's no way around it then. I'll go gather the supplies. I should return before the morrow."

"But-" I began only for the platinum-haired man to cut me off. To allow the Scholar to do that seemed wrong to me. Why should he have to run such an errand when it was my own failed responsibility?

"In the meantime, your task will be to assist Sepherus in my stead," Emery instructed, sending a glance towards our patron that I couldn't decipher. "Go change into another uniform, and I will send Sepherus over after I have a word with him."

"Understood, Eld," I responded quietly before rushing off to do just that.

While I cleaned up and changed in my assigned room, I marveled at how I had gained enough trust for Emery to actively urge me to spend a day shadowing Vis Sepherus himself, where-as before, he had asked me to steer clear from our patron as much as possible. Other than the occasional rescue from omega visitors, I had honored Eld Emery's wishes. What a change two weeks had made!

I chose the white birch shirt and pulled my hair up to a mid-height ponytail. My heart leapt to my throat when I heard a knock on the door. Then, I rushed about, grabbing a new journal and my pen on my way to open it. Sepherus was about the same height as Emery, but his alpha presence still made him appear bigger somehow.

"As I'm sure Emery has mentioned," the alpha said as he walked down the hallway. I had to walk faster to keep up. He seemed about as awkward as I felt. "We grow and cultivate plants for textiles, remedies, and culinary needs. I take inventory of what's needed and what we need to cut back on in terms of productivity..."

Sepherus does quality control, which I jotted down in my journal. So, that was why he always walked out in the gardens. And here I thought he was just going on strolls.

"I then put in orders for what we need before checking in with the indoor staff," the alpha continued. "Having a clear idea on what remains of our funds, I then take note of what the staff needs, especially the ones with new families. I know all of the children by name, though there was a time that I was too reckless with past staff members."

Though I wondered what he meant by that, I knew better than to ask by then. Unlike Emery, Sepherus was never willing to talk about everything. Some subjects were like hidden explosives. I felt like I needed to be more cautious around him.

By the time I realized it, we had wandered out into the backyard well past the greenhouse. I had yet to walk much further than those paths. Many more fields were beyond Emery's nurseries. As I gazed at the new areas, I began to wonder if sixteen gardeners were enough to keep track of it all. Then, I noticed that half of them were in their wyvern forms.

Though the higher vantage point helped, the gardeners in their alternate forms were alphas that could call forth river water from their inner cores. They sprayed large areas effortlessly with their snouts. They were such a perfect fit for their Craft that I was both amazed and envious.

Sepherus moved from area to area, and I took note of all the details he requested. Every now and then, he'd say, "make a note to ask Emery," which made me realize how much the alpha depended on the Eld. Did Sepherus know about Emery's intention of leaving the estate after the alpha settled down?

Several hours later, we ate some fruit from the trees near the entrance of a hedge maze. Though tangy, they were refreshing and provided us with a well-needed recharge. Unfortunately, we ended up wasting that energy immediately. The sound of familiar shouting alerted us to the usual group of wandering omegas.

The Vis and I ducked into the maze. After rounding several corners, we slowed to a stop. We then heard the group say that they would split up to find us. Sepherus took hold of my hand and rushed us further into the maze. When we reached a dead end, I started to panic. However, the alpha pushed aside some vines dangling from a brick wall, which opened up to reveal a secret passage.

We ran inside and closed the camouflaged door back up. All I saw was pitch darkness. The sound of running feet grew closer. Sepherus suddenly tugged me against his chest, holding me tightly in place. Was it a protective reflex?

It was bad enough that my heart was still spiked with the adrenaline rush from before. Now it began to pound for an entirely different reason. Our combined body temperature made me feel woozy, and Sepherus's scent was more potent in such proximity. My mind tried to identify similarities in other scents I knew. But, beyond the notes of rain and pine, I couldn't fully describe it. The more I breathed it in, the more my wyvern senses began to correlate the scent with Sepherus.

I found that I didn't want to move away, not even when something pressed along the side of my neck that felt suspiciously like the alpha's nose. What in the Azure? The only time our kind took in one another's scent without permission was during the Seasons, in which many of us gathered in our wyvern forms. Of course, the exception was family…and the two of us were certainly not considered family just yet!

Despite the alpha's boldness, I kept as still as possible to not make any noises that would draw the attention of the omegas outside. We remained in that position long after the footsteps in the maze faded. When Sepherus finally moved back, it was to tap an orb-lantern awake. A vivid blue light lit the area around us as far as several yards. Lanterns used to be torches or candles that our dragon ancestors could light with their inner fire. A simple trade agreement with our Amphiptere cousins in the mountains allowed us access to more durable light sources, such as light gems.

"This used to be a hidden wine cellar. My father had no use for it, so I converted it into a storage room," the older wyvern said.

More orb-lanterns were hung on the walls the further into the room we went. Shelves where wine barrels used to be were full of gardening tools, sealed bags of seeds, tarps, and other miscellaneous supplies. One item, however, was out of place.

"Is that a lyre?" I asked as I reached out towards the instrument.

"Don't touch it!" Vis Sepherus yelled. He took the lyre off the shelf and held it against his side. The lighting was barely bright enough for me to see the details of the alpha's face, but I didn't even need it to tell that he was upset because his fingers had temporarily turned to claws. He had lost part of his control over his winged form. I hadn't expected to come across an explosive subject in such a hidden place.

My mind raced to figure out a way to distract him, but he had already turned back towards the entrance. As the light from the outside illuminated his face, I noted the slits that had replaced his pupils. I felt awful for having indirectly caused him to hurt.

"It's time for us to head back."

Copyright © 2021 Thirdly; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 3
  • Wow 4
  • Sad 1
p style="text-align:center;"> spacer.png
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

9 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

Ooh 

Is that ‘ooh’ as in ‘that’s why’ or as in ‘he’s in trouble’ ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Thirdly said:

Is that ‘ooh’ as in ‘that’s why’ or as in ‘he’s in trouble’ ?

Little bit of both

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This chapter was very illuminating.  Of course, we need to find out the story behind the lyre.  The more that we discover, even indirectly about the parents of Owin and Rhyad's parents the less that I care about them...  I wonder if Owin had more to his plan than just running away; maybe he sensed why I am starting to wonder about myself?  

Hmmmm, time will tell.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Thirdly

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, centexhairysub said:

The more that we discover, even indirectly about the parents of Owin and Rhyad's parents the less that I care about them... 

Agreed! The brothers (Owin and Rhyad) are much kinder than them.

Edited by Thirdly
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am sure rhat it is euther my stupidity or my infamiliarity with the history behind these chapters, but I remain quite confused about the relationships between the three principal characters. I can only hope that, as I read on, things will become more clear.

Mr Will

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 5/30/2021 at 5:32 AM, Will Hawkins said:

I am sure rhat it is euther my stupidity or my infamiliarity with the history behind these chapters, but I remain quite confused about the relationships between the three principal characters. I can only hope that, as I read on, things will become more clear.

Mr Will

We are confused because Rhyad himself is confused. He'll clear it all up for us later on. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..