Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 1,548 Words
  • 1,270 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
p style="text-align:center;"> spacer.png

The Dawn’s Dusk - 10. Chapter 10- Owin's Return, part 2

I heard the Vis mention something about a platonic bond as I walked through the door. I glanced up and down the hallway and saw no sign of Emery. Could he have gone to his room? I decided to check just in case. Was the door open? Yes.

He was there.

His tall figure was leaning against the wall as he glanced out the window.

I let out a sigh of relief.

"Emery, may I have a word?" I called out.

"For once, I don't wish to hear what you have to say."

The coldness in his tone halted my steps. "Emery..."

The Eld straightened up and let out a rough sigh. "It's not that I disagree with your choice. Sepherus is an excellent alpha. He's finally mature and ready for a mate." Emery took several steps towards me, and his rigid stance and body movement had me instinctively moving away.

"Em..." I tried again, despite the trembling that ran through my body in reaction to the Dusk beta's unapproachable aura. I had never seen the pupils in those lavender upset enough to become slitted.

"If you want him, then I suggest that you give it your all and show them both how you would be the better omega for Sepherus," he concluded as he managed to corral me right out the door and closed it.

I jumped when I heard the lock of the door click in place.

Emery sounded hurt and angry. I felt a queasy feeling in my stomach at the thought that I had caused it. Did he think that I was competing with Owin over Sepherus? Could that mean that the Eld really felt something for me? But, he had been avoiding me all day!

Was it alright to hope that he did care for me more than just as a pupil?

::

Vis Sepherus and Owin talked and argued well into the following day. But, they ate together and stayed close together. No physical violence resulted from their discussions. To me, it looked like they were making progress. Sepherus looked happier than I had ever seen him, and Owin was no longer running away.

As for Eld Emery, he managed to avoid me for almost an entire day. In the art room, I had subconsciously drawn a detailed portrait of the Scholar's face. I tugged at my hair in frustration.

A noise drew my attention to the open door. I saw one of Lucio's blue eyes peeking in. Was he hiding, as well?

"What are you afraid of, Lu?" I questioned.

The blond kitchen aide blushed as he shuffled his feet inside. "I'm more embarrassed than afraid...all that trash talk about omegas, and it turns out my friend became one. Doesn't make me look good at all."

I couldn't help but smile. "I'm sure you're going to get along with Owin just like you've gotten along with me. I have a feeling he'll be joining the estate after all."

"Yeah, we've been seeing him around," Lucio responded. "He's not nearly as bad as we had imagined. We should have trusted in the Vis to bring home a good mate."

"Hmm? I heard the last one wasn't up to par in Emery's point of view..." I trailed off and frowned. "Lu, my Progression is nothing like I thought it would be. I was a fool to think that I'd have everything I wanted if I was just Favored. Now, I wish nothing more than to go back to being a beta."

"Omega or not, you're gonna have to deal with the fact that you totally broke the Eld."

"What do you mean I broke him?"

"He skipped supper and still refuses to let anyone into his room for more than a few minutes," Lucio explained. "And if any one of us so much as mentions your name, he starts yelling at us to leave. Last I saw him, he even had some wicked-looking claws instead of fingers."

I must have had an incredulous look on my face because the blond continued.

"Rhyad, you gotta know that the Eld likes you more than even his plants! The whole staff can tell. He doesn't lose control of his winged form and mope around like a whelp for just anyone, you know."

My heart skipped a beat at the thought. "If only Emery would let me talk," I sighed. "He's not alone in his feelings."

Lucio looked confused. "Really? You want to be with the Eld?"

"I didn't realize it until recently," I admitted. "But, I think that Emery thinks that the Intended I want is Vis Sepherus."

"How in the Azure did that happen?"

"It's my own fault. I wanted to goad Owin into realizing his real feelings for the Vis, but I went about it the wrong way."

"Well, if he's so adamant about not seeing anyone...we can always sneak a letter under his door. Why don't you write him something?"

I gave the blond beta a hug. "Lucio, thank you! That's a great idea."

As I wrote, I did my best to express my thoughts honestly.

Dearest Emery,

I have strong feelings for you. Would you please be my Intended? I admit that I may have been drawn more to our patron initially, but it was merely the excitement of a whelp who came across someone similar in nature...like finding a new friend. Sepherus and I share the same fears of not being enough. But, it's not Sepherus that I want by my side. It's you. Even if you reject me as a mate, I hope you hold true to your word of taking me under your wing as a pupil after Troth Season.

Ever yours,

Rhyad

A rueful smile formed on my face, and my hand trembled as it slid the envelope beneath Emery's door. I felt proud for going so far. Hopefully, the letter would be enough for the Dusk beta to want to talk to me.

The sound of the doorbell was so loud that it carried up to the second floor. As I made my way downstairs, I caught sight of Vis Sepherus, Eld Emery, and my brother heading in the same direction. I hadn't realized that the Eld wasn't even in his room. The Scholar himself opened the door.

If my mother was surprised at the sight of Owin, she did not show it on the outside. Her yellow eyes found mine, and, for the first time in a long while, she seemed genuinely shocked. I hadn't felt the need to look at myself in a mirror for days. Though Owin's assessment of me had only made me curious, the look on my mother's face made me want to find the nearest mirror.

"Sons," Rina greeted. "Your father and I would like to talk with you."

"Talk?" Owin snorted. "That's new. When have we ever actually talked?"

The expression on her face looked pained. "We understand that we may have been too overbearing in regards to your future. Your absence made that quite clear..." Her gaze was drawn to my face when I finally reached the entrance hall. "Yours, as well, Rhyad."

Owin and I shared a glance. Neither of us knew what to make of her words. We were both raised to obey them above all else. Open discussions and compromise never existed between us. Had she heard about Owin's return?

"If the Vis would allow me to bring my sons home for the night, it would be greatly appreciated," Rina continued.

"Troth Season is two days away," Sepherus pointed out.

"All the more reason for the Edesias to be in accord with one another, yes?" Rina insisted.

Owin gave the alpha's hand a squeeze. My eyes sought Emery's. But, he refused to even glance in my direction. I tried not to let the sadness overwhelm me. The older wyvern hadn't even read my letter, after all. Why would I expect him to want me to stay?

"What do you think, Rhy-fry? Should we hear them out?" Owin asked.

I was quiet for a moment. My time at the Vesper estate helped me grow. If I went back with my mother, I wouldn't be alone. Owin and I were stronger together. Even if I still felt tendrils of fear, I could push through them.

"Only for the night," I responded. "I fully intend to continue my training under Eld Emery, even as a Dawn omega." Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that Emery finally glanced my way.

"Alright," Owin added. "I have a few words to say to our father, as well."

The two of us began to follow her, but the Eld stopped us.

"Wait," Emery called out as he rushed over to place a small pouch in my hand. I felt my heart skip a beat when his larger fingers curled around mine. "Don't forget your dose of Thieplum tea. We'll talk when you return."

I don't know what type of ridiculously relieved expression was on my face. But, I caught a glint of something in the Eld's lavender eyes that I couldn't place, and it was far better than the coldness that was there before. The thought of it gave me hope.

"I look forward to it," I whispered in response.

"Let's head home then, boys," Rina urged.

Copyright © 2021 Thirdly; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 8
p style="text-align:center;"> spacer.png
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

22 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Omg thank god he wrote that letter! Now im real curious bout what the parents want

 Nothing good.

  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment

And why in God's name would either of them even begin to trust their parents?  Nothing about this passes the smell test.  

Eld will find the letter later, but have to wonder what effect it will have...

  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, empresslovesreading said:

I was afraid of the nothing good part. This isn't going to go well.

Exactly. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

And why in God's name would either of them even begin to trust their parents?  Nothing about this passes the smell test.  

Eld will find the letter later, but have to wonder what effect it will have...

Owin’s trying to own up to his responsibilities with Seph and Rhyad wouldn’t let Owin face their parents by himself...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..