Jump to content
    Thorn Wilde
    • Author
  • 2,932 Words
  • 4,464 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lavender & Gold - 7. The Dream of California

In which Ben goes out to dinner.

CHAPTER SEVEN

The Dream of California

 

He looked at her intently over his cup of cider. She stared him down, unwavering. He broke the gaze first, smiling.

‘Is that what you think of me?’

She raised her chin haughtily. ‘You call yourself an honourable man, Lieutenant. My brothers are off fighting as we speak. If you met them on the battlefield, what then?’

‘Then I would do my duty.’

‘For king and country?’ she scoffed.

He looked back at her, head cocked slightly to one side. ‘Yes. Though it would hurt me greatly to know that I had caused you any grief.’

‘This is our lot, Lieutenant Barker. Your king has sent you here to recruit loyalists and squash a rebellion. I fear you’ll find we’re not so easily squashed. What say you to that?’

‘Not a blessed thing,’ he murmured. ‘Except that I hope that one day this will all be over and I shall be able to call you friend.’

She stood up. ‘You shall have to wait a long time for such a day. Good night, Lieutenant.’

‘. . . And cut!’

Ben let his head drop forward, stretching the muscles at the back of his neck. He rolled his shoulders a couple of times and then looked up at his costar with a smile. ‘Excellent work.’

‘You too.’ Matilda Weber replied good-naturedly. ‘You really get into your roles, don’t you?’

Ben shrugged. ‘I suppose,’ he said humbly. ‘You bring out the best in me, though, I think. It’s easy to be James Barker when you’re such a convincing Jennifer Perry. I am particularly fond of the accent.’

‘Really? I thought a Southern drawl tended to annoy you limeys.’ She smiled a wry half smile. Ben laughed.

‘That was very good, you two!’ cried the director, who had just finished a brief discussion with one of the cameramen. ‘We’ll do another take from another angle in about ten minutes. If that goes smoothly, we’ll shoot Matilda’s coverage after that.’

Ben stood, stretching his back. ‘Hate doing singles,’ he muttered. ‘Never have to do that on stage.’

‘Ooh, look at you, the classical actor!’ Matilda grinned.

Ben chuckled, hopping up and down a couple of times to get circulation back into his legs. Then he looked at her. ‘Want me to feed you lines for your coverage?’

She smiled at him. ‘Thanks. That would be great.’

 

* * *

 

‘Liam wants you to call, he says he has some more information about that script he sent you. And Harry had some things he wanted to discuss with you regarding the Country Sunsets publicity tour, so you should give him a call later as well.’ Alice handed Ben a blue folder. ‘Your schedule for the rest of the week.’

‘Thank you.’ Ben opened the folder and flipped through it. ‘Oh, I’m free tonight. Good.’

‘Skype date?’ Alice smiled conspiratorially. Ever since she’d found out about his relationship with Mark she had been a bit more nosy than she had any right to be, but Ben was too fond of his PA to really mind.

‘No, we’re keeping in touch by e-mail.’

‘Oh. All right.’ Alice gave him a sympathetic smile.

‘Ben!’

He turned around to see Matilda trotting towards him. ‘Yes?’

‘Good work today!’ She smiled. ‘It was really good of you to feed me lines. I was just wondering if you had any plans for dinner?’

‘Actually, no,’ said Ben. ‘Not tonight.’

‘Great! I kind of have dinner reservations for a fancy place in Beverly Hills, and my date canceled on me. Figured it would be a good chance to get to know each other better.’

Ben smiled. ‘All right, why not? What time?’

‘Eight.’ Matilda grinned at him. ‘Looking forward to it already!’

 

* * *

 

‘Wow, you weren’t joking about this being a fancy place,’ said Ben as he sat down. The waiter handed him a menu. ‘Thank you. Who on Earth would blow you off and miss out on this?’

Matilda laughed. ‘My dad. He was in town on business, so I thought I’d take him out, but he had to leave early. It’s okay, I saw him last weekend. Just thought I’d show him that my acting pays enough to constitute a real job.’

Ben chuckled.

‘Can I get you something to drink?’ asked their waiter.

‘Yes . . .’ Ben thought for a moment. ‘An apéritif, perhaps? Dry martini?’

‘Yeah, dry martini sounds good,’ Matilda agreed. ‘Make that two, please.’

As the waiter walked away, Ben glanced at Matilda over the top of his menu. ’Your dad doesn’t approve?’

Matilda grimaced. ‘He doesn’t disapprove. He just doesn’t really get it, you know? He’s kind of conservative, very down to earth, not so much with the art stuff. If he’d been here, he would have spent most of the evening bugging me about growing up, getting married and giving him grandkids. How about your folks?’

‘Oh, no issues on that account,’ said Ben. ‘My dad used to act, my mum’s a choir mistress. The arts were always big in our house. My mum keeps trying to set me up with all manner of women, but she does take no for an answer.’

‘Hm, I envy you.’ Matilda studied her menu. ‘So, what food group do you suppose “foam” belongs to?’

Ben laughed, just as the waiter returned with their drinks.

‘Are you guys ready to order?’

Ben looked at Matilda, questioningly.

‘I think I’d like a few more minutes, thanks.’

The waiter inclined his head and left them alone again.

‘This stuff is a little beyond me, to be honest,’ Matilda admitted. ‘I’m a simple girl, I like burgers and fries, and pizza, and fried chicken.’

‘There is chicken,’ Ben pointed out.

‘“Charred chicken breast with pomme de terre terrine and parsnip foam, topped with fresh thyme and pomegranate,”’ Matilda read out. ‘Doesn’t sound so bad, I guess.’

‘There’s that infernal foam again, though.’

She giggled. ‘Yeah, they want us to leave here feeling like we haven’t really eaten. Of course, eating isn’t the point of these places. Being seen in the right place is, preferably with the right people. I guarantee tomorrow there will be mentions in the press of how you and I had a “romantic” or “friendly” or “professional” dinner date, depending on how we look at each other when we pass the paparazzi on our way out.’

‘Oh, so you had ulterior motives in asking me?’ Ben smirked.

Matilda shrugged. ‘Not really. Not gonna pretend I don’t find you . . . interesting, though.’ She looked at him, smiling a cute little half smile. ‘Don’t worry. I’m not coming onto you, I’ve heard you don’t date other actors. And if the rumours are to be believed . . .’

‘Ah. So they did make it across the pond.’

‘Can’t stop the Internet. I don’t really care one way or the other. I’ve been hearing a lot lately, though. People worry, about you and your career, about future movies you star in . . . It’s insane that the business should be like this, but there you have it.’

Ben shook his head. ‘I honestly shouldn’t even be talking about this. My agent and my publicist are both worried, too. Even had a studio withdraw an offer just after the Sun piece hit. I’m still getting offers, though. My agent keeps sending scripts my way. All this is subject to change, of course.’

‘If you come out properly, you mean?’

Ben chose not to answer, opting for an enigmatic smile. Just then, their waiter returned to take their orders, and he was spared having to make a reply.

The food, for all its foam and randomly inserted french words, was excellent, and they spent the rest of their dinner chatting about less serious matters, drinking wine and getting to know each other. Ben found he rather liked Matilda Weber. She was twenty-eight years old, intelligent, funny and very pretty. With her honey blonde hair and hazel eyes, she was exactly the sort of girl Ben might have gone for, had he been looking for a relationship with a woman. As he ate his rather magnificent passion fruit mousse, however, he wondered idly whethershould his relationship with Mark come to an endhe would be able to return to dating women, or whether he would continue to crave . . . Well. This was neither the time nor the place to think about such things.

‘So, I guess a straight answer is out of the question, huh?’ said Matilda. She sipped her espresso and smiled at him.

‘Regarding what?’

‘The rumours.’

‘Ah.’ Ben looked down at his plate. ‘Yes. A straight answer is out of the question.’ He smirked, considering the double entendre. It appeared to have gone unnoticed by his companion.

‘What if I ask a direct question? Will you lie?’

‘No, but I might refuse to answer at all.’

‘Are you seeing anyone?’

‘Possibly.’

‘Are you seeing a man?’

Ben met her inquisitive gaze, keeping his expression mild but blank. He said nothing.

‘Are you gay?’ she tried next.

‘Nope,’ said Ben, truthfully.

‘Bisexual?’

‘Could be.’ Ben put down his dessert fork and leaned back in his chair. ‘How about you?’

She laughed. ‘I . . . You know, I don’t really know. Everyone dabbles, don’t they?’

‘Ever been with another woman?’

‘Not fully. Ever been with another man?’

Without missing a beat, ‘Yes.’

‘Holy shit!’ Matilda leaned back as well, crossing her arms. ‘That was a more direct answer than I expected!’

‘I am full of surprises.’

‘Aren’t you just . . .’

‘When you say “not fully” . . . what does that mean?’

Matilda opened her mouth, seeming to weigh her words, before replying, ‘Everything but tongues and toys.’

Ben’s eyebrows rose and he let a slow grin spread over his features. ‘That was a more direct answer than I expected.’

‘I’m full of surprises.’

‘Will there be anything else?’

Ben started slightly and looked up at their waiter. What was it with waiters in fancy restaurants and sneaking up on their customers? He glanced at Matilda, who shook her head. ‘No, thank you. I think we’ll just have the bill, please.’

‘He means “check”, the limey bastard,’ Matilda supplied, and Ben laughed out loud.

The waiter nodded, looking slightly uncomfortable, and walked away.

‘You, my dear, are positively British,’ said Ben admiringly.

‘Thanks. I have an aunt who married a Brit. Spent some summers in Sussex when I was a kid.’

‘And it all falls into place.’ Ben shook his head. ‘Knew there was something about you.’

Matilda shrugged. ‘I also have three older brothers. I spent my childhood climbing trees, catching frogs and building go-carts. Airs and social graces ain’t exactly high on my list of recommendations. Instead I got really good at, how is it you’d put it . . . “taking the piss”.’ Her eyes met his. ‘What?’

Ben had been looking at her with a half smile and what he imagined must have been a fond sort of gaze. ‘You remind me of a friend of mine. You’re both very . . . frank.’

Their waiter returned with the bill, and Ben handed him his credit card automatically.

Matilda elevated an eyebrow at him. ‘Oh, you’re pulling the chivalry card, huh?’

Ben waved his hand dismissively. ‘Don’t be silly. You can pay next time.’

 

* * *

 

When he got back to his hotel room just after midnight it was already eight in the morning in London, so he decided to call Liam about the script for Lunatics Who Think They Are Psychic and Freak Themselves Out in Old Houses. Then he rang Harry, who ranted at him about Letterman and Craig Ferguson for about twenty minutes.

‘Really, Harry, I’m up for anything as long as we can fit it in, all right? Did you have anything more specific to discuss with me?’

‘Nope,’ said his publicist. ‘Not really. Ooh, nice photo!’

‘What?’

‘Of you and Matilda Weber coming out of a restaurant.’

Ben blinked. ‘Huh. They don’t waste time, do they?’

‘According to this, you had a “friendly dinner date”’ Ben smiled; that was exactly what Matilda had said, ‘and “appeared thick as thieves upon exiting the trendy establishment”. Well done, Ben. Anything to take their attention away from Mark is a good thing.’

‘Well, I don’t want them thinking I’m dating Matilda either,’ said Ben.

‘Anything that takes their attention away from Mark is a good thing, Ben,’ Harry repeated. ‘How’s filming getting on?’

‘Good. It’s all good.’

‘And you did have a nice time at this dinner date of yours?’

‘Yes, it was lovely. She’s lovely. One of my favourite leading ladies to date.’

‘Well, then, there’s no problem, is there? Now, get some sleep. Good night.’

‘Night.’ Ben hung up and sat down at his laptop to check his e-mail. He smiled upon discovering one from Mark with the subject line, I wanna do bad things with you.

 

How was your day? Are you working hard still? Don’t let them drive you TOO hard, I want there to be some left for me when I get you back.

Alex tried to ask me to come to another party tonight. I told him to piss off, went to the pub instead. Ran into this bloke I used to know. Not in a sexual way, he’s straight, just in a friend way. Robert. Drummer. Says he has a studio now, invited me to come take a look some day. We started talking about a possible band project. Doubt it’ll come to fruition, but I hope to be able to take advantage of his studio. It was nice catching up.

I’ve been busy today. Tara needed help at the bookshop, so I took a shift. She says she can get me work for a couple of weeks. It was a quiet day, so I spent most of it sitting behind the register reading Heinlein. Have you read The Door into Summer? Really good book, so far.

Played some guitar when I got home, before I went to the pub. Came up with a chord progression I really like, just need to come up with some lyrics for it.

I miss you so fucking much. I can’t believe it’s only been two weeks, I wish you could come home now and shag me silly. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not just your cock I miss, but the mind does wander. I keep thinking about all the things I want to do to you when you get back. Of course, the first thing I want to do is just hug you and kiss you and all that other stupid, romantic shit.

I miss you. Come home soon.

Yours,

Mark Xx

 

Ben let out a sigh and sat back in his chair, staring at the words on his screen. It had been Mark’s idea to keep in touch by e-mail only. In his words, ‘If we talk to each other every day or see each other on Skype or whatever, it’ll only make everything harder. This way, I can do my shit here, and you can do your shit there, and we won’t spend our days pining. Hopefully.’

It had made sense at the time. It still did, in a way, but right then, Ben would have given just about anything to see his lover smile at him.

He hit ‘reply’ and began typing.

 

Dear Mark,

My day was good. We finished shooting two scenes, which feels good. Then I went out to dinner with my costar, Matilda Weber. Don’t be alarmed if you happen to see photos of us exiting a fancy restaurant together. It really was just dinner.

She’s nice. A lot like you, actually. I think I might have to introduce you some time. The two of you could gang up on me. She’s very sharp, almost as sharp as you. Almost, but not quite.

Not much else has happened, really. That script Liam had me look over is hilarious. Apparently they’re still looking for funding, though, so it’s far from certain that it will even be made into a film. Hope they find someone to back it. It will be refreshing to do a comedy for once, a break from the monotony of big dramatic roles.

Of course I’ve read The Door into Summer. Great book. You should also read The Cat Who Walks Through Walls.

The whole thing with the studio sounds like a great opportunity. You write excellent songs, it would be good for you to get some proper recordings done so you can get your music out there.

Oh, I just remembered, I actually wrote a tweet today. From what I can understand, the entire Internet imploded. I don’t know whether to be pleased about that or a little bit frightened . . .

I miss you too. Constantly. I started thinking about you during filming today and was obliged to excuse myself and go to the bathroom to splash some cold water in my face. Very unprofessional. I wish I could come home right now, so we could be together. It would be just the thing to help me relax from all this. I enjoy the work, but it’s taxing, and I have many emotional scenes coming up that I venture will be quite draining. Wish you were here so I could hold you as I go to sleep.

Yours always,

Ben

Thanks to Sasha Distan, who came up with the title Country Sunsets, and to jamessavik, who came up with Lunatics Who Think They Are Psychic and Freak Themselves Out in Old Houses.
Copyright © 2016 Thorn Wilde; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

LOL at the tweet comment you would think he's 80 years old by how happy he was to say he actually did a great. The email idea seems to be working at least they both are getting stuff done on each side of the pond. Now when he was talking about the some script and he said it was hilarious did he mean really funny, or a joke that they think he would actually considering him doing it. wasn't sure since earlier you were talking about the rumors and the effect they were having on his career. Good chapter, showed him working, his focus and just how good he is with his acting. It will be interesting to see where you go from there. Btw not really all that fond of Harry.

Link to comment
On 08/11/2013 05:07 PM, Daithi said:
LOL at the tweet comment you would think he's 80 years old by how happy he was to say he actually did a great. The email idea seems to be working at least they both are getting stuff done on each side of the pond. Now when he was talking about the some script and he said it was hilarious did he mean really funny, or a joke that they think he would actually considering him doing it. wasn't sure since earlier you were talking about the rumors and the effect they were having on his career. Good chapter, showed him working, his focus and just how good he is with his acting. It will be interesting to see where you go from there. Btw not really all that fond of Harry.
He meant that the script was funny. :) I'm glad you liked the chapter! :D As for Harry, he has a really difficult job. It's pretty much in his job description to always advice Ben in a way that makes sense from a purely PR standpoint, which doesn't always agree with him personally. Harry's basically a good guy with a shitty job, I think.
Link to comment

i SO want to see Lunatics Who Think They Are Psychic and Freak Themselves Out in Old Houses. I think they might have to shorten the title though :)

I really enjoyed this chapter. It was easy reading after all the emotional angst. The emails were darling. I love the way they ended 'yours' It's usually quite formal but in this situation it was perfect.

It would be great if Mark's music really takes off and he gets to be even more famous than Ben. I wonder if there would be jealousy if that happened. Although it would make it even harder for them to get together.

Loved the little peep into what Ben's up to and the fact that it's not all exciting and fun. It's actually really hard work.

I'm enjoying the story very much. Thank you for posting far more regularly than I do.

Link to comment

Great chapter, it felt little short, but considering what happened in the previous chapter, it feels good. For such quick updates you have little to no errors. I love how you made Ben tell Mark about his date and to not worry about it, as those kind of things usually cause problems in relationships of similar nature. All in all, great chapter, cant wait for the next one to come out! :2thumbs: :thankyou:

Link to comment
On 08/11/2013 08:30 PM, Nephylim said:
i SO want to see Lunatics Who Think They Are Psychic and Freak Themselves Out in Old Houses. I think they might have to shorten the title though :)

I really enjoyed this chapter. It was easy reading after all the emotional angst. The emails were darling. I love the way they ended 'yours' It's usually quite formal but in this situation it was perfect.

It would be great if Mark's music really takes off and he gets to be even more famous than Ben. I wonder if there would be jealousy if that happened. Although it would make it even harder for them to get together.

Loved the little peep into what Ben's up to and the fact that it's not all exciting and fun. It's actually really hard work.

I'm enjoying the story very much. Thank you for posting far more regularly than I do.

Yeah, I thought I'd give you guys a break after all that emo shit. ;) Thanks so much for reviewing once again!
Link to comment
On 08/12/2013 01:58 AM, GrimIsaac said:
Great chapter, it felt little short, but considering what happened in the previous chapter, it feels good. For such quick updates you have little to no errors. I love how you made Ben tell Mark about his date and to not worry about it, as those kind of things usually cause problems in relationships of similar nature. All in all, great chapter, cant wait for the next one to come out! :2thumbs: :thankyou:
I actually had about half the story written before I even started posting it, so between my vigorous self-editing (perfectionist, here) and my editor George's pedantic nature, it would really be more surprising if there were any errors to speak of. ;) Thanks for reviewing! I'm glad you're still liking it! :)
Link to comment
On 08/12/2013 05:09 AM, Miles Long said:
Fun little chapter that leaves me wondering if this is the calm before the storm.

:thankyou:

Well, it's not over yet... Make of that what you will.
Link to comment

This was a great chapter. I like the chemistry (strictly platonic, of course), between Matilda and Ben. She's seems like a really nice lady, someone who Ben could be good friends with.

 

I'm glad Ben told Mark about the picture. B/c you know Mark would get the wrong idea and feel all this anxiety over nothing. Which brings me to this point: I understand what Mark is saying when he says Skyping and hearing each other's voices over the phone would make it really difficult to focus on your normal day-to-day activities. But coming from an insecure person such as myself, I would want to see the person (even though I personally don't have Skype, never Skyped myself (my kids do it all the time)), and definitely hear their voice over the phone, b/c you can tell by seeing/hearing the person if something is amiss. You know what I mean? Emails can hide so many emotions.

 

Loved the tweet comment. I tweeted something once. I have no idea where it went b/c I never saw it again. lol

 

Looking forward to the next chapter, Thorn. :)

Link to comment

you're welcome my dear.

very good chapter, love the email letters. want ben and mark to have lots of squishes romantic kisses too. i'm in that sort of mood. and i actually like his co-star too, very upfront and normal, but having older brother's will do that to a girl i suppose.

well done love, good stuff all round

Link to comment
On 08/14/2013 11:19 PM, Sasha Distan said:
you're welcome my dear.

very good chapter, love the email letters. want ben and mark to have lots of squishes romantic kisses too. i'm in that sort of mood. and i actually like his co-star too, very upfront and normal, but having older brother's will do that to a girl i suppose.

well done love, good stuff all round

Thank you, my love! I like Matilda as well. I think she's pretty awesome. I can promise squishes and kisses in the near future. ;):hug:
Link to comment

Wonder if Ben is going to slip back into the closet while he is in America. He's certainly not as verbal as he was about who he is. Maybe he is just being careful. Something seems a little off here. I hope he can trust his co star.

Mark seems ok right now, but I hope he believes Ben's heads up about the photo.

Great job with the story Thorne

Link to comment

Kiddos on moving the story along so well. I will say I could stand for a bit more length each chapter (as others do) but I'll take quality over quantity any day. I repeat... really great progression of the story and that's become more apparent as I read it again.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..