Jump to content
    Thorn Wilde
    • Author
  • 3,323 Words
  • 5,535 Views
  • 34 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lavender & Gold - 11. The Morning that Followed

In which there's a hospital visit.

CHAPTER ELEVEN

The Morning that Followed

 

After spending half the night fretting about Mark, Ben decided that he should try for some semblance of sleep. He woke up only a couple of hours later, in the small hours of the morning, from his phone ringing. He answered it with a grunt.

‘It’s Rose.’

Ben sat bolt upright, clutching the phone to his ear. ‘Did you hear from Mark? Is he all right?’

‘I’m . . . I’m at the hospital. They found him a couple of hours ago . . .’ She trailed off. Her voice sounded strained.

Ben swallowed, hard. ‘He’s not—’

‘He’s alive. Broken leg, fractured ribs, head trauma . . .’ She uttered a desperate sob. ‘He’s still unconscious . . .’

Ben was already out of his bed, pulling on a pair of jeans. ‘I’m leaving now. I’ll be there soon.’ He paused, realising that Mark was not actually his family. Except that he was. Mark was his world. ‘If . . . if that’s all right with you.’

‘Of course,’ she said at once. ‘Absolutely. Thank you.’

‘Which hospital?’

‘University College.’

‘I’ll be right there!’

He hung up, pulled a t-shirt over his head and searched for clean socks. A few minutes later he was out the door. It was five in the morning on a Sunday; there were taxis about in abundance. He hailed the first one he saw.

Rose Harrison was waiting for him outside the entrance to A&E, smoking a cigarette. Without ever having met her before, he instantly knew her. She was a petite woman in her forties, a bit shorter than her son, with blonde hair. She had Mark’s nose, his curved eyebrows and his curious eyes. Ben supposed she probably shared her son’s hair colour as well, when his wasn’t dyed in some outlandish shade.

Without a word, she dropped her cigarette and hugged him. Her cheeks were red and tearstained.

‘Any change?’ Ben asked softly.

She smiled weakly. ‘It could be so much worse. He woke up for a few minutes a while ago. Probably no lasting damage to his head, they say, so they gave him a sedative. He was in a lot of pain.’

‘Can I see him?’

Rose nodded, but her eyes were tearing up. ‘He’s—’ She cleared her throat. ‘They made a real mess of his face. His nose is broken. They beat him badly.’

Ben took a deep breath, clenching his fist, trying not to let his anger get the better of him. He gave a curt nod and followed her inside.

Mark lay in a hospital bed. His eyes were closed, his nose clearly broken. The skin around his eyes and cheeks was bruised in shades of burgundy and his forehead was bandaged. Ben stood by his bed, hands shaking, feeling everything at once. Uncontrollable rage towards the bastards who had done this, relief that Mark was no worse off than he was, indescribable happiness that he was alive. At least his arms and fingers were still intact. He could still play guitar. He’d have a lot to write songs about now. Ben smiled grimly at the thought.

‘I’m going to go get a cup of what passes for tea from the machine down the hall,’ came Rose’s voice from the doorway. ‘Do you want anything?’

Ben tore his gaze away from Mark to look at her. ‘Some almost-tea might be nice,’ he said after a moment. ‘Thank you. It’s been a short night.’ He tried to smile, but he thought it probably came out more like a grimace. Rose nodded, returning his not-quite-smile with a matching expression of her own, and left him alone.

He sat down in a chair next to the bed, taking Mark’s hand. ‘Hey,’ he said softly. ‘I was really worried about you, love . . .’ He trailed off and swallowed back his tears. ‘They really did a number on you, didn’t they . . . You get better, okay? I want you back in my bed soon. We have things to do. I’ve got a lot of kisses to give you, so . . . I need you to heal.’ He kissed the back of Mark’s hand. ‘Please? I love you.’

Rose returned a couple of minutes later with two paper cups filled with weak, milky tea. She gave one to Ben before pulling up another chair and sitting down next to him.

‘They stole his wallet and his mobile,’ she told him after a few moments’ silence. ‘So he had no ID or anything. That’s why it took them a while to call me. Luckily, one of the doctors recognised him from his pictures, so they knew who he was. So really, if it hadn’t been for that article, it would have taken a lot longer before we found out what had happened.’

‘If it weren’t for that article he might never have been hurt in the first place.’

Rose shook her head. ‘Police think this was just a mugging.’

‘We’ll find out when he wakes up, won’t we?’

She glanced at him. ‘I suppose we will.’

‘Thank you for calling me.’

‘Well, of course. You’re his boyfriend. You love him. He loves you.’

Ben turned to her, studying her face, so like Mark’s. ‘When did you know he was gay?’

Rose shrugged. ‘It’s such a cliché to say, “I’ve always known,” but . . . Either way, he told me as soon as he knew for himself. I think he must have been about eleven when he asked me what being gay meant. I’ve always been up-front with him about things, so I told him that men who like other men and women who like other women are called gay. He told me to “define like”.’ She smiled. ‘He was a special kid. I said, “Like as in wanting to kiss someone and be with them more than with anyone else.” And he told me, without a moment’s hesitation, “Then I’m gay.”’

Ben smiled as well. ‘Mature for an eleven-year-old.’

‘Indeed. Anyway, it wasn’t exactly a shock when he started bringing home boyfriends.’

‘It never bothered you?’

‘I worried that he’d be bullied, hurt, that other kids wouldn’t accept him . . . But no, it never bothered me. Why should it? He’s just as much my son no matter who he wants to shag. And this way at least he would never leave some poor girl pregnant, like I was.’

‘His father left you?’

She shrugged again. ‘We were eighteen. Cliff didn’t even stick around long enough to see his son born. Last I heard, he was married and living in Lancashire. Kids on the way and everything. I had a couple of boyfriends once Mark grew up a bit, but none of them lasted. I went to uni when he was little. Studying for exams with a toddler in the house is not recommendable. Thank God for my parents.’

‘Are they still—’ Ben cut himself off, realising the impertinence of the question, but Rose smiled.

‘They’re alive and well. They moved to Spain a couple of years ago. We spent last Christmas there. Interesting experience.’

Ben sat back in his chair and sighed, his eyes wandering back to Mark. He knew Mark’s favourite foods, the music that made him close his eyes and just smile, exactly which points on his body would elicit specific reactions . . . But there were so many things about Mark’s life, his history, his family, that Ben did not know. It didn’t make him feel sad, or angry, like Mark had been holding back on him and keeping things to himself. It made him feel . . . hopeful. They had so much left to learn about one another, and there was so much to look forward to.

 

* * *

 

Something was poking Ben’s cheek. Poke, poke, poke. He groaned. His neck felt stiff and painful. Slowly, he opened his eyes, pulling himself upright.

He had been slumped forward over Mark’s hospital bed. The something that had been poking his face was, he realised quickly, Mark’s finger. His boyfriend’s eyes were open, and he was looking up at him with an amused expression.

‘Morning.’

Ben did not immediately reply. Instead he took Mark’s hand, squeezing it perhaps a bit harder than necessary, and leaned down to kiss his lips.

‘Thank God you’re okay,’ he whispered.

Mark laughed, his expression turning into a grimace a moment later as he clutched his chest with his free hand.

‘Fractured ribs,’ Ben informed him and Mark nodded.

‘Yeah. Bloody bastards . . .’ He drew a couple of shallow breaths before relaxing again. ‘When did you get here?’

Ben glanced at his watch. It had just gone nine in the morning. ‘A few hours ago. Your mum rang me. Nice lady.’

‘Yeah, she’s all right.’

‘What happened to you last night?’

Mark rubbed his eyes and yawned. ‘Give a bloke a chance to wake up, won’t you?’ He tried to pull himself up into a sitting position, but didn’t quite seem to have the strength, so Ben helped him. Mark winced and groaned with pain. ‘Ow, fuck! Cheers.’ He smiled weakly. ‘Let’s see . . . Well, I went to the pub with Rob, to discuss recording times and fees. Stayed until maybe ten-ish. I meant to leave earlier, but I was having a nice time. I was gonna text you to let you know, but my battery had gone flat, so I decided to just head over to your place. I took a short cut through an alley to get to the tube and they jumped me.’

‘Standard mugging?’

‘Doubt it. There were two of them. Skinheads. Neo-nazis, probably. I vaguely recognised one of them, even. They called me a fucking commie-queer, and I told them they were only half right. I’m pretty sure they were after me, specifically. My stuff was a bonus. I was lucky, really . . . Homophobes trying to suppress their latent homosexuality. They could have done far worse things to me than a few broken bones and a concussion.’

‘Well, that would have been melodramatic.’ Ben smiled wryly. ‘Frankly piss-poor writing, very overdone.’

‘Speaking of concussion . . . Hand me that bedpan, will you? I think I’m gonna puke.’ Mark said it so matter-of-factly that Ben thought at first that he was joking, but then he swallowed, and looked a bit pale, so Ben reached for the bedpan and got it to him just in time.

Mark’s body convulsed, and he heaved and spat into the bedpan, but there wasn’t much. He clutched at his chest, the heaving causing obvious pail to his ribs. He grimaced. ‘Stomach acid,’ he muttered. ‘I need a toothbrush or something . . . And something to eat and drink, probably, but I don’t want anything.’ He sighed, leaning back into his pillows. ‘I fucking hate hospitals.’

Ben took the bedpan away and pressed the button to call for a nurse. Then he stroked Mark over the hair.

‘Uncultured twats,’ Mark murmured. ‘I should have told them that commie-queer is an oxymoron, that proper Marxist-Leninists believe homosexuality to be a Western decadence. Fuckers should pick up a book every once in a while . . . Bet they don’t even know who Marx was.’

Ben smiled. ‘Next time you’ll set them straight. I’m sure quoting passages from Das Kapital will make them realise the error of their ways.’

‘Damn skippy. And if that doesn’t work I’ll read to them from Mao’s Little Red Book until they fall asleep.’

 

* * *

 

‘Is everything all right? Is Mark okay?’ Alice’s voice sounded slightly frantic, and Ben smiled.

‘Yes, he’s all right. He’s concussed, fractured ribs, a broken leg . . . But he’s alive and awake. Police came by earlier to take his statement.’

‘That’s good.’ She sounded relieved. ‘Hope he’ll heal soon.’

‘He better had. I’m not leaving here until he’s better.’

There was a brief silence. ‘Ben—’

‘I’m taking a few days off, I want to be here to look after Mark.’

‘There are nurses there to look after Mark,’ said Alice kindly. ‘You start filming tomorrow, remember?’

‘They can do scenes I’m not in.’

‘That’s not a lot of scenes, you’re the title character.’

‘Family emergency!’ Ben would not budge. Mark needed him. Mark was hurt, and it was because of him, because of the stupid article. He could not just abandon him.

‘I know you feel responsible, but—’

‘There’s no but,’ Ben interrupted. ‘I am responsible. I love him, and I’m going to keep him company. It’s the least I can do. They’ll understand.’

Alice sighed on the other end. ‘I’ll try to make them understand. They won’t be happy, though. Neither will Liam and neither will Harry.’

‘Fuck ‘em,’ said Ben simply, and Alice giggled nervously.

‘I won’t tell them you said that.’

Ben bid his PA goodbye and hung up. Then he returned to Mark’s room.

‘Alice sends her regards,’ he said as he sat down next to the bed.

‘You talked about me?’ Mark asked sleepily. They had given him a sizeable dose of morphine and he was slightly loopy. ‘What’d she say? She think I’m pretty?’

Ben chuckled, squeezing his hand. ‘She hopes you get better soon. She wasn’t all that happy when I told her I was taking some time off, though.’

‘Why would you do that?’ Mark frowned. ‘That’s a silly thing to do. You have, like, stuff. To film. Right?’

‘Yes, but I want to be here and look after you.’

Mark laughed. ‘Nononono. No. You don’t have to do that! I’m fine! There’s nurses and doctors and those . . . those cleaning ladies and hospital clowns and shit. And mum! Not to forget mum, she’ll be here in the afternoons and stuff. You can come see me when you have time off, like normal people, mister.’

‘But—’

‘No buts! Heh, butts . . . But yeah, no buts. No my butt for you until you get back to work and I’m all better again anyway, so . . . I’ll be fine.’

‘That’s the meds talking.’

‘No, the butts is the meds talking, this is the me talking, and you’re not gonna sit here by my bed like some fucking Florence Whatsherface when you’re supposed to be Detective Inspector Hathaway and solving crimes and shit. Tonight you’re gonna go home and you’re gonna . . . sleep . . . and . . .’ Mark blinked a few times. ‘And you’re gonna go to work tomorrow. Mkay?’

Ben smiled. ‘All right. You win. I’ll text Alice and let her know.’

‘You do that . . .’ Mark mumbled, and then the lids slid down over his glassy eyes and he drifted off to sleep.

 

* * *

 

When Ben was in the cab on his way home from the hospital that evening, he pulled out his phone to check Twitter. He was not entirely surprised when he discovered tweets like, Heard a rumour that @Hark_Marrison90 is in hospital after being assaulted. Hope the poor kid is okay. And, Poor @Connor_Benji must be devastated that his lover’s been injured on account of him. Hope they catch the ones who did it!

How these people knew was beyond Ben. The Internet moved fast. He had best try to keep up. He began to type.

On my way home to get some sleep. So relieved that @Hark_Marrison90 is alive and not seriously injured. Get well soon, my love!

He hesitated for a moment, with his finger hovering above the ‘send’ button. If he did this, it was as good as a public announcement. But they were already public, weren’t they?

He sent his tweet.

‘Begging your pardon,’ said the cab driver when he pulled up to the kerb outside Ben’s flat, ‘but you’re Benjamin Connor, ain’t ya?’ Ben only nodded, and the man continued, ‘Is your boyfriend all right, then? Cause I ’eard something on the old grapevine, see . . .’

Ben smiled as he took out his wallet to pay. ‘Yeah, he’s all right. Not great, but . . . He’ll be just fine. Thanks for you concern.’

‘Nah, no problem, mate. And it’s no charge, I switched my metre off. My wife’s in hospital too. Complications with ’er pregnancy. ’S not fun, that. You make sure you visit ’im and look after ’im, yeah?’

‘I . . . Yeah, of course. Thank you.’ Ben hesitated. ‘Can I ask how you heard?’

The cabbie smiled at him. ‘You ’ear a lot, driving a cab. Folks talking. But the way I understand it, it’s on one of The Guardian’s blogs.’

‘Thank you.’

‘No worries. You take care now!’

‘You too.’

Ben stepped out and the cab rolled away. Only a few seconds later, as he was pulling his key from his pocket, his phone rang.

‘Hello, Harry.’

‘I wish you’d run things by me before you post them on the Internet, Ben.’

‘Sorry.’ Ben unlocked the front door and headed up the stairs. ‘Was it a bad move?’

‘A bad move? It was a fucking excellent move, people love you now!’

Ben laughed.

‘No, seriously, though. You properly announcing your relationship, there couldn’t be a better time for it. Wish I could say it was my idea.’

Ben unlocked the door to his flat. ‘About the Internet, though. I heard something about The Guardian?’ He tossed his keys on the table and headed for the kitchen.

‘Yeah. One of their journalists’ blogs. Kate Archer, I think. She’s got sources at the hospital, apparently. Now she’s condemning the Mail for their blatant disregard for privacy, blaming them for Mark’s attack. A lot of people are very sympathetic.’

‘Yes, I saw some of the Tweets.’

‘You’ve scored a lot of points today.’ Harry sounded almost proud.

Ben sighed, opening the fridge and pulling out a bottle of Innis & Gunn. ‘I really don’t want to score points on the fact that my boyfriend was assaulted and injured and that it may or may not have been on account of The Daily Mail.’

‘I know. And it’s a tragedy, it really is. But he’s okay, and you’re both smelling like roses. And just think how this will help his career, too. He’s already doubled his followers on Twitter since yesterday. By next week, who knows? That can be some small comfort, can’t it?’

‘I’m having a hard time seeing it that way, but I think Mark might.’ Ben held his phone to his ear with his shoulder while he opened the bottle.

‘He’s got a good head on his shoulders, that one. Can’t wait to meet him in person.’

‘You’re just hoping he’ll want to hire you,’ Ben teased, walking into the sitting room. ‘No chance of that. I think Mark will want to run his own show.’

‘That may be, but when I’m old and feeble I’ll be able to tell my grandkids that I shook the hand of the great rock star Mark Harrison before he was properly famous.’

‘And what about me? Won’t you tell them about me?’

‘You’ll be a footnote in history, Benny-boy. Music lives forever.’

‘Well, thanks ever so!’ Ben kicked off his shoes and collapsed in the sofa. ‘Look, I only slept about an hour last night, so I’m gonna kip in a minute. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.’

‘Course. Good night!’

‘Night, Harry.’

Ben sat staring into space and sipping his beer. It had been a long and hard day, but he felt hopeful. If he and Mark could get through two months of absence, media scandal after media scandal, and attacks that ended in hospitalisation, they could get through anything. At that moment Ben knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that everything would be okay.

A&E stands for Accidents and Emergencies, and is the British equivalent of an Emergency Room.
I've now reached the slightly awkward point where I haven't actually written any more chapters... I have one or two more planned before this story ends, but I haven't actually started writing them yet, because I'm lazy and a little uninspired for this particular story at the moment. I will write them, though, I'm just saying that the next update may come a bit slower than they've been coming up until now. But hey, leave a review, maybe that will inspire me to get my arse in gear and finish this. ;) At least I didn't leave you with a cliffhanger, right?
Copyright © 2016 Thorn Wilde; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Why are you not inspired by these wonderful people. For goodness sake Mark has pink hair, like me!!! I love him so much and it's awesome you tortured him. Do some more :)

I love this story and I love the way you've taken your time to tell it. Just don't take too much time okay?

Link to comment
On 09/10/2013 03:27 AM, Nephylim said:
Why are you not inspired by these wonderful people. For goodness sake Mark has pink hair, like me!!! I love him so much and it's awesome you tortured him. Do some more :)

I love this story and I love the way you've taken your time to tell it. Just don't take too much time okay?

Well, you know what they say. Can't rush genius. :P No, I'll try to get it done as quickly as I can. I'll get to it. Marcus and Jacob have been taking up my whole brain lately, they just won't let me alone... Now I'm writing backstory. It's a nightmare, they've got me by the proverbial bollocks. :P But Ben and Mark's story also needs to be told. So, I'll get to it, have no fear. Thanks for reviewing! <3
Link to comment

Oh man! People suck! Glad mark is ok....kind of. Haha. Dont worry about updating too quickly. Breaks are good! Sometimes they help authors regroup and write better!

 

:-)

Link to comment
On 09/10/2013 06:56 AM, kitty1940 said:
Oh man! People suck! Glad mark is ok....kind of. Haha. Dont worry about updating too quickly. Breaks are good! Sometimes they help authors regroup and write better!

 

:-)

Hope that will be true for this story as well. :) Thank you so much for taking the time to review! :D
Link to comment

You've been working on too many colorful adjective type stories, haven't yet? :P LOL No worries since they've been quite entertaining and a welcome reprieve from the daily humdrum.

 

Again, I did not see this twist coming. I've met a few skinheads in my day. Used to hangout, in a group, with them and an assortment of others. Surprisingly they were quite accepting and tolerant- a break from the norm it seems.

 

Glad Mark is okay. Battered, bruised and a little rough but okay. I think that Ben should take Mark's advise, listen to it but still take a few days off to be with him. Might piss him off that Ben didn't heed his words but I think in the long run that Mark will appreciate the time and devotion Ben will have shown to him.

 

I can't wait to see him and Ben at a Premier together. Publicly holding hands. :glomp: No better way to get back at those who try to beat you down then to show them that you are still standing tall, proud and that they cannot beat you down! You don't have to do anything to them personally. You just have to continue to be yourself and let Karma, which is a beotch, take its course.

 

So how is this going to end; with a happily ever after, Mark becoming a musical star overnight and their careers pulling them in 2 separate ways, a tragic tale where they are both shot when they make their Premier appearance, or will one be kidnapped, held for ransom and killed before the others eyes? (No judging with my morbid wonderings, lol. You should know that I can be a tad bit morbid sometimes from previous comments that I have made :devil: ) Will be interesting to see what you come up with for an ending.

Link to comment

oh why thank you for leaving us somewhere midair, our fingers going numb hanging that cliff... What do you mean you're uninspired? How dare you?Wasn't it enough hurting poor Mark? Sigh....Ok anyway thanks for not making Mark visit the underworld. Have some tea, relax and broaden your knowledge on swearing, then sit down and write, will you?

Thanks so much.

Link to comment
On 09/10/2013 11:31 AM, CW Prince said:
You've been working on too many colorful adjective type stories, haven't yet? :P LOL No worries since they've been quite entertaining and a welcome reprieve from the daily humdrum.

 

Again, I did not see this twist coming. I've met a few skinheads in my day. Used to hangout, in a group, with them and an assortment of others. Surprisingly they were quite accepting and tolerant- a break from the norm it seems.

 

Glad Mark is okay. Battered, bruised and a little rough but okay. I think that Ben should take Mark's advise, listen to it but still take a few days off to be with him. Might piss him off that Ben didn't heed his words but I think in the long run that Mark will appreciate the time and devotion Ben will have shown to him.

 

I can't wait to see him and Ben at a Premier together. Publicly holding hands. :glomp: No better way to get back at those who try to beat you down then to show them that you are still standing tall, proud and that they cannot beat you down! You don't have to do anything to them personally. You just have to continue to be yourself and let Karma, which is a beotch, take its course.

 

So how is this going to end; with a happily ever after, Mark becoming a musical star overnight and their careers pulling them in 2 separate ways, a tragic tale where they are both shot when they make their Premier appearance, or will one be kidnapped, held for ransom and killed before the others eyes? (No judging with my morbid wonderings, lol. You should know that I can be a tad bit morbid sometimes from previous comments that I have made :devil: ) Will be interesting to see what you come up with for an ending.

Adjectives, nouns, verbs, adverbs even... Yes. :P

 

Not all skinheads are neo-nazis (I shaved my head once, it had nothing to do with my political views) and not all neo-nazis are skinheads, but the two do still quite frequently intersect on the venn-diagram, and it is my rather narrow and judgmental opinion that neo-nazis are bad people.

 

Well, you'll just have to wait and see what I have in mind for the ending. I'm hoping it will not disappoint... ;)

Link to comment

Inspiration is a capricious brat :P. You're a good writer so however long it takes, I will wait. This break may give me some time to catch up on your other offerings I've seen lately. Nice update, glad Mark is okay. Thanks for posting.

Link to comment
On 09/10/2013 06:55 PM, nostic said:
oh why thank you for leaving us somewhere midair, our fingers going numb hanging that cliff... What do you mean you're uninspired? How dare you?Wasn't it enough hurting poor Mark? Sigh....Ok anyway thanks for not making Mark visit the underworld. Have some tea, relax and broaden your knowledge on swearing, then sit down and write, will you?

Thanks so much.

Yes, because I am your bitch and you can totally boss me around. ;) I'll get to it as soon as I can.
Link to comment
On 09/11/2013 12:36 AM, Miles Long said:
Inspiration is a capricious brat :P. You're a good writer so however long it takes, I will wait. This break may give me some time to catch up on your other offerings I've seen lately. Nice update, glad Mark is okay. Thanks for posting.
And thank you for reviewing! :) I'm so glad you think I'm a good writer, that makes me very happy! :hug:
Link to comment

It’s amazing when the words, ‘They made a real mess of his face.’, actually sound sweet. My fear being that although he blew it off, the attention was actually too much for Mark. I didn’t expect that but the little fear was in the back of my mind. I’m glad that wasn’t the case.

 

Now, instead, Mark has instant popularity and all of its ills.

 

Nice that you mentioned Innis and Gunn! It’s a favorite and I have a stupid personal story I may tell you another time.

 

Great writing, Thorn and though no cliffhanger we are still left hanging unless you get your rear end in motion (not sure this applies but seems to be one of those things that people say to encourage) and get in the swing of things (again, not really sure but I think it means focus) and give us more of these two. They’re great characters and I think we could all agree that more than one or two more chapters would not be amiss.

Link to comment

I think I saw this coming(I read WAY too many romance stories), but I cant remember, my brain only remembers key points of stories, even then I dont always remember what I thought about it. Still, great story, and after reading the other reviews, I would have to say its going on swimmingly, and I think you started TFT a little too early, but at least finish it off

Link to comment
On 09/11/2013 02:53 PM, Ron said:
It’s amazing when the words, ‘They made a real mess of his face.’, actually sound sweet. My fear being that although he blew it off, the attention was actually too much for Mark. I didn’t expect that but the little fear was in the back of my mind. I’m glad that wasn’t the case.

 

Now, instead, Mark has instant popularity and all of its ills.

 

Nice that you mentioned Innis and Gunn! It’s a favorite and I have a stupid personal story I may tell you another time.

 

Great writing, Thorn and though no cliffhanger we are still left hanging unless you get your rear end in motion (not sure this applies but seems to be one of those things that people say to encourage) and get in the swing of things (again, not really sure but I think it means focus) and give us more of these two. They’re great characters and I think we could all agree that more than one or two more chapters would not be amiss.

Well, we'll see what happens. My plan may yet change; it tends to do that. :P I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway, and I'll try not to leave you hanging for too long. Innis & Gunn is among my favourites as well, it's a very tasty beer! It's ridiculously expensive around here, though. I miss living in the UK and getting it for £1.80 down at Asda. :P

 

There are surely limits to how much angst I can cram into a story, isn't there? No? Maybe not. But I figured what Mark's been through already is bad enough, and I thought I'd give him a break by making sure this particular instance of harm was no self-inflicted. ;)

 

Thanks so much for reviewing! :)

Link to comment
On 09/11/2013 03:16 PM, GrimIsaac said:
I think I saw this coming(I read WAY too many romance stories), but I cant remember, my brain only remembers key points of stories, even then I dont always remember what I thought about it. Still, great story, and after reading the other reviews, I would have to say its going on swimmingly, and I think you started TFT a little too early, but at least finish it off
Stories start when they start, my friend. I'm not always able to control that. When I have an idea, I have to write it or it might go away again. Such functions my creativity, and when a character grabs me by the balls and refuses to let go, I am at his mercy until he does. Which is why TFT. :P But I'll get back to this soon, I promise. Thanks for reviewing! :)
Link to comment

amazing the difference a day makes. yesterday he was smeared from one end to the other and the Mail was the Hero. Today everyone is sympathetic and the Mail is the bad guy. And he only had to pretty near die to make it happen. And they don't understand why the paparrazzi don't seem to get a good break. Once he is home again and healed u will it be a downward slide again only time will tell.

Link to comment
On 09/12/2013 03:45 PM, Daithi said:
amazing the difference a day makes. yesterday he was smeared from one end to the other and the Mail was the Hero. Today everyone is sympathetic and the Mail is the bad guy. And he only had to pretty near die to make it happen. And they don't understand why the paparrazzi don't seem to get a good break. Once he is home again and healed u will it be a downward slide again only time will tell.
Yeah, the public is fickle, and the media doubly so. Thanks for reviewing again! :)
Link to comment

Mark has pink hair! No wonder he got beat up!!!! :,( lol Just kidding!

 

I'm glad Mark's ok, but yeah, that wasn't random. I can't believe people would do that. I mean, I can believe it b/c a lot of people really do suck. I mean, really, what enjoyment can these assholes actually get from beating people up? I don't get it. Their victims aren't going to change, so why bother? To get a point across - that's just all kinds of fucked up.

 

I'd be worried now that Mark is in the spotlight. Who's to say that this was only a one-time thing? And how about Ben? Why would they stop at getting Mark? I think Ben should re-think going back to work so soon after Mark's attack.

 

I am proud of Ben for that great tweet he tweeted. (still cannot figure out Twitter, lol) Show the public that you're not backing down and running away with your tail between your legs b/c your b/f got beat up.

 

And what a terrific mom Mark has! He's very lucky.

 

Great chapter, Thorn! :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 09/13/2013 12:34 AM, Lisa said:
Mark has pink hair! No wonder he got beat up!!!! :,( lol Just kidding!

 

I'm glad Mark's ok, but yeah, that wasn't random. I can't believe people would do that. I mean, I can believe it b/c a lot of people really do suck. I mean, really, what enjoyment can these assholes actually get from beating people up? I don't get it. Their victims aren't going to change, so why bother? To get a point across - that's just all kinds of fucked up.

 

I'd be worried now that Mark is in the spotlight. Who's to say that this was only a one-time thing? And how about Ben? Why would they stop at getting Mark? I think Ben should re-think going back to work so soon after Mark's attack.

 

I am proud of Ben for that great tweet he tweeted. (still cannot figure out Twitter, lol) Show the public that you're not backing down and running away with your tail between your legs b/c your b/f got beat up.

 

And what a terrific mom Mark has! He's very lucky.

 

Great chapter, Thorn! :2thumbs:

Mark's mum is a sweetheart. I love her. :) And yeah, those bastards who beat Mark should be shot. Thanks for reviewing, and sticking with the story! I'm glad you're still enjoying it! :)
Link to comment

Such a great story you're writting here, i've read the 11 chapters this afternoon, i couldn't stop once i've started.

I love Ben tweets. they're sweet and funny and we can see that little by little he's getting more and more confortable with the fact that he's dating a man, which was kind of new to him at first.

Hope to read a new chapter very soon, a new reader whose goind to stick to the end (and who there not gonna be one lol)

Link to comment
On 10/02/2013 05:05 AM, clochette said:
Such a great story you're writting here, i've read the 11 chapters this afternoon, i couldn't stop once i've started.

I love Ben tweets. they're sweet and funny and we can see that little by little he's getting more and more confortable with the fact that he's dating a man, which was kind of new to him at first.

Hope to read a new chapter very soon, a new reader whose goind to stick to the end (and who there not gonna be one lol)

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you've enjoyed it so far. I will get round to finishing it soon, I've just not been very inspired lately. There's two chapters or so to go, I believe. Thanks for reviewing, though, it makes me really happy to hear from readers and it's very motivating! :)
Link to comment

I think you can get away with a couple of non-dramatic chapters where they just slowly connect again and spend time with each other and the family and maybe a few friends. We don't have to have drama in every chapter, so don't worry about not being inspired. Anything you write is sure to be fun to read.

Link to comment
On 10/05/2013 03:44 AM, Timothy M. said:
I think you can get away with a couple of non-dramatic chapters where they just slowly connect again and spend time with each other and the family and maybe a few friends. We don't have to have drama in every chapter, so don't worry about not being inspired. Anything you write is sure to be fun to read.
Thank you. I do have a clear plan, though, it's just the actual writing that requires some effort. :P Thanks for reading, and reviewing, and I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..