Jump to content
    Thorn Wilde
    • Author
  • 3,914 Words
  • 4,101 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lavender & Gold - 4. The House with the Rose Coloured Memories

In which Ben had dinner with his parents and meets an old friend, and there's an article in The Sun.

CHAPTER FOUR

The House with the Rose Coloured Memories

 

The next few weeks passed in much the same way. Monday nights Mark would turn up, sometimes they’d have a meal or a couple of drinks first, and then they would shag like bunnies until they fell away to blissful oblivion. Ben felt like a man a decade younger. Not that thirty-five was any age at all, but it had been a long time since he had engaged in a physical relationship with such reckless abandon, and he didn’t think he’d ever wanted just one person so intensely or so constantly before.

So it was with great regret that he informed Mark, on the evening of the fourth Monday, that they would not be able to do this the following week.

‘Why not?’ Mark asked, sitting up in bed and licking his lip nervously. ‘Have I . . . am I being too—’

‘No!’ Ben interrupted. ‘No, not at all. It’s just . . . My parents have been nagging me to come over for dinner, and I’m running out of excuses. With all the time I’ve been spending in America lately it feels kind of shitty to say no, really . . .’

Mark nodded. ‘No, I get that . . . Where do they live?’

‘Stevenage,’ Ben replied. ‘About half an hour by train.’

‘Could I maybe come over after?’

‘I don’t know how long I’ll be there, really . . . Maybe?’

‘All right.’ Mark looked miserable, and Ben put his arms around him, pulling him close.

‘I’m sorry,’ Ben murmured. ‘I’ll make it up to you. Only a couple of weeks left of the play now.’

‘Good,’ said Mark.

Ben wasn’t so sure that it was. He had no idea what they would do when the play came to an end and he’d have to get back to shooting films. He had two big shoots lined up for the autumn—one film, to be shot in the States, and several episodes for the next series of Hathaway for ITV. Another film would be released in November, and that would include a press tour, television appearances, photo shoots and all manner of work. For all the six-day work weeks and the rehearsals that had preceded them, the theatre was a nice break from the circus of his every day life. At least he’d have another week off once they finished.

It wasn’t that Ben minded the work. He had always liked keeping himself busy. He was perfectly happy working long days, travelling a lot and having little time off. Other people might have gotten burnt out quickly from the work load he took on, but Ben had never had any such vulnerability.

Now that he had Mark, however—and though no such words had directly been spoken, Ben did consider himself to be in some form of a relationship with the boy—things were very, very different.

Ben took the train out to Stevenage the following Monday afternoon. Most days he would have taken his car, as he had little opportunity to drive it, but he suspected his parents would want to serve him wine, and it would be a shame to have to decline. His parents’ house was on the eastern edge of the town, close to Box Wood. His mother came out and greeted him on the front steps, hugging him.

‘Benjamin!’ she said happily. ‘It’s so good to see you! How is the play going?’

‘Fine, fine,’ said Ben as he walked inside. ‘It’s going very well. I trust you’ve read the reviews?’

‘Of course we have!’ said his mother. ‘What do you take us for? We’ve decided to come see you on closing night, assuming you can still get us tickets?’

‘Of course!’ said Ben with a grin.

Adelaide Connor was a short but powerfully built woman with thick, sandy blonde hair, a West Yorkshire accent and a no nonsense attitude. She was a music teacher and children’s choir mistress. Her husband, William, was, in contrast, like his son, tall and originally dark-haired, but he was mostly grey now. He had retired as an engineer, though he had at one point also been a moderately successful stage actor. Their home, the home in which Ben had grown up, was modest but very comfortable.

In the kitchen, Ben’s father was hard at work on dinner. He wiped his hands on his apron and gave his son a hug.

‘So,’ he said, patting his shoulder, ‘how’s the love life? Meet anyone special lately?’

Ben rolled his eyes and smiled. ‘Maybe,’ he said.

‘Really?’ said his mother. ‘Perhaps I ought to ring Carol and tell her not to come . . .’

‘Carol?’ Ben frowned.

‘Carol Stevens,’ said his father, returning to his cooking. ‘You remember Carol Stevens, don’t you?’

‘Oh, yeah,’ said Ben. An image of a tall, skinny, freckled girl with fiery red hair and torn jeans flashed into his mind. ‘Of course I do.’ He looked at his mother. ‘Mum . . . Were you going to try to set me up with Carol Stevens?’

‘No!’ said his mother, waving her hand dismissively. ‘Of course not. No, I just ran into her the other day, she asked how you were, so I invited her over for tonight. It’s not like you have Facebook, not easy for old friends to keep up with you in person.’ She studied his face quizzically. ‘So, you’ve met someone, have you?’

‘I suppose,’ said Ben, shrugging one shoulder. He always felt like a school boy under his mother’s gaze.

‘Well?’ she said. ‘What’s she like?’

Ben fidgeted. ‘I . . . I’m not really ready to talk about it yet,’ he tried weakly.

‘Oh, come off it!’ his mother scoffed. ‘Can you blame me for being interested? You haven’t had a girlfriend in, what, six or seven years?’

‘I haven’t got a girlfriend now,’ Ben pointed out. ‘I’ve just . . . met someone. Someone I like. But it’s not really serious, and I don’t know if it ever will be, so . . .’ He trailed off. Then he clapped his hands together, turning to his father, who was painstakingly measuring up his herbs and spices. ‘Dad! Anything I can do?’

‘Salad,’ came the response. ‘Lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, spring onions. Bottom drawer in the fridge.’ William Connor while cooking was not a man to be trifled with. The very antithesis to his son, who did everything by eye measurement and gut feeling, the elder Mr. Connor never deviated from his recipes, and always knew exactly what he was doing next. ‘You can make the vinaigrette, too, if you promise not to overdo the mustard.’

Ben laughed. ‘No, I think I’ll leave that up to you. You nearly murdered me last time I got it wrong.’

Just then the door bell rang, and a few minutes later, Carol Stevens stepped into the kitchen followed by Ben’s mother.

‘Hello, Benjamin,’ she said, smiling. ‘Lord, it’s been a while, hasn’t it?’

‘Carol!’ Ben put down the knife with which he had been chopping cherry tomatoes in half, and went to kiss her cheek. ‘How are you? What have you been up to?’

‘Fine, thanks,’ said Carol. ‘I’m in paediatrics.’

‘Oh, fantastic! Love kids!’ said Ben, perhaps a bit too enthusiastically. He felt oddly uncomfortable, rather certain now that his mother really had meant to set him up with Carol. A few months ago he might have rolled with it. Carol had grown up well. She had always been sort of pretty, but now she was verging on gorgeous, and they had at one point been quite close. He would have, at the very least, taken her out a few times, but that wasn’t an option anymore. Now, all he could think was, She’s not Mark, and that was all he needed to know to be absolutely certain that he was not interested.

Oh, hell, I am falling so hard . . .

 

* * *

 

‘That was really fantastic, Dad,’ said Ben, wiping his mouth on a napkin.

‘There’s dessert, too,’ said his father, getting up and turning towards the kitchen.

‘Are you trying to fatten me up?’ asked Ben. ‘I’m perfectly healthy, you know, I need to look this way for my part! At the end I’m meant to be imprisoned and emaciated.’ He made to get up to help clear the plates away, but his mother put a hand on his shoulder.

‘No, no, you stay here and entertain our guest,’ she said. ‘Have some more wine!’ Then she started gathering the plates.

Ben smiled and shook his head. He picked up the wine bottle and raised his eyebrows at Carol in question.

‘Oh! Yes, please.’ He filled both their glasses with what remained in the bottle. Carol picked up her glass and took a sip. ‘So,’ she said. ‘No need to ask what you’ve been up to. Been a busy little bee, haven’t you?’

Ben chuckled. ‘Yes, I suppose I have. Especially these past couple of years.’

‘I’ve been following you career, of course,’ said Carol with a nod. ‘Hard not to, with your face plastered across every billboard for the past three months. You know, before this latest PR debacle I had quite forgotten to think about you for nearly a year . . . Since the last series of Hathaway ended.’

‘Good for you,’ said Ben, with a smirk. ‘I have it on good authority that I’m annoyingly unforgettable.’

Carol laughed. ‘Oh, that is bad!’ She had another sip of wine. ‘Truer than you’d think, though. I made the mistake of mentioning to a coworker that I used to know you. She pretty much lost her shit. Practically begged me to get her your autograph. Had to remind her that I said “used to”, and that I’d hardly seen you in, what, a decade?’

‘Has it been that long?’

‘It has. You know, it’s scary how obsessed some people—especially women,‘ she took another sip, ‘especially women of a certain age—get with you. My coworker’s forty.’

Ben shook his head and smiled. ‘I could write out an autograph for her if you like.’

‘She would literally die. Have a heart attack and expire. Bless her!’ Carol grinned.

Ben gazed at her for a moment. ‘You haven’t changed a bit,’ he said softly.

‘You have,’ said Carol.

‘Oh?’

‘Not at first glance, but there’s something . . . I expect it would be hard not to, life you lead.’

Ben took a sip of his wine and grimaced. ‘I try not to let it get to me.’

‘How’s that working out for you?’

‘Not very well, until recently,’ Ben confessed.

‘What happened? You find something to ground you?’ Carol cocked her head to one side. ‘Someone?’

Ben smiled, looking away.

‘You have!’ Carol exclaimed. ‘Oh, do tell!’

‘Haha, no,’ said Ben, licking his lips. ‘Already had this conversation with Mum and Dad today. I’m not telling.’

‘Why not?’ Carol pouted.

‘Because a gentleman doesn’t kiss and tell,’ said Ben, still smiling. ‘Because I don’t know if it’ll work out yet, so we’re keeping it on the down-low, that’s why.’

‘Well,’ said Carol, ‘if it doesn’t work out, you can always have my coworker.’

Ben laughed.

‘When was the last time you had a proper girlfriend, anyway?’

‘Oh, God . . . Ages.’ Ben ran a hand through his hair. ‘I don’t date other actors, you know. That much ego in one room can only lead to disaster. But dating, for want of a better word, regular women has been . . . difficult. Turns out a lot of them were more in love with one of my on-screen characters than they were with me.’

Carol smiled. ‘I used to have such a crush on you, you know.’ This caught Ben by surprise.

‘Really?’ he asked.

‘No, you dunce!’ Carol grinned and kicked him under the table. ‘Back when we were friends you were awkward and gawky and too tall for your body.’

‘Oh, says you, who had legs up to your armpits, frizzy hair and mosquito bites for tits!’ Ben shot back with a smirk.

‘See?’ said Carol, rolling her eyes. ‘Totally conceited! Your girlfriend isn’t doing a very good job of grounding you.’ She stuck out her tongue at him. ‘I think your mum was fixing to set us up, though.’

‘You noticed that too?’

‘Well, if you ever date someone you can’t be seen with, I can always act as a cover,’ said Carol, draining her glass.

Ben just smiled, taking another sip of his wine.

‘Wait . . . are you dating someone you can’t be seen with?’ Carol leaned across the table, studying his face in much the same way as his mother tended to. ‘Are you seeing someone married?’

Ben laughed out loud at this. ‘No, I’m not seeing someone married!’ he said. ‘I’m seeing someone . . . complicated.’

Carol shrugged, leaning back in her seat again. ‘Well, as long as she makes you happy.’

Ben nodded. ‘Yeah.’

 

* * *

 

In the taxi on his way home from King’s Cross, Ben switched on his mobile, which had been off during dinner, to find two missed calls and a text from Mark. The text simply read, How was dinner? and had been sent about an hour previously. Ben tried to call back, but it went straight to voicemail.

When he disembarked the cab in Soho and walked towards the entrance to his building, it had begun to drizzle. Ben first only noticed the figure sitting on the ground next to the entrance out of the corner of his eye, but as he reached the front door, the figure stirred, and Ben looked down at it.

He blinked. ‘Mark?’

‘Hey.’ Mark put out the cigarette he’d been smoking in a puddle before meeting his gaze. He exhaled a puff of smoke. ‘How was dinner?’

‘Er, fine,’ said Ben. ‘What are you doing here? Have you been here long?’

Mark shrugged, struggling to get up. ‘A while. Just thought I’d—’ Ben reached for his hand and pulled him to his feet, ‘—wait for you here, since my mobile ran out of battery. Thanks. God, my legs are stiff . . .’ He stretched his back, groaning loudly.

‘If you’d gone home you could have just charged it,’ said Ben, but he smiled.

‘Yeah, but then I would probably have fallen asleep and missed out on seeing you.’ Mark entwined his fingers with Ben’s as Ben pulled his keys out of his pocket with his other hand to unlock the door. ‘What time is it, anyway?’

‘Half eleven.’ Ben let go of Mark’s hand and ran his fingers through his green hair. He must have dyed it in the past week, because the last time he’d seen him it had been washed out blue. It was slightly wet from the rain. ‘You’re lucky it’s summer, or you’d catch a cold,’ he remarked.

‘Yes, Mum!’ said Mark with a smirk. ‘So, are we going inside or staying out here in the pleasant weather?’

‘Inside,’ Ben murmured. ‘Need to get you out of these wet clothes and into my bed.’

‘Mm, I like the sound of that,’ said Mark with his crooked smile, and they went inside.

 

* * *

 

Ben woke up on Saturday, feeling oddly nervous. Or, perhaps not nervous, but there was a sort of light, wiggly feeling in his stomach. Tonight was the final night of The Crucible. His parents were coming to see him perform, and after tonight it would be a long time before he’d have to don the mask of John Proctor again. More importantly, after tonight he would have an entire week to spend however he pleased, and he knew instinctively that the only way he wanted to spend it was with Mark, preferably naked in bed, only leaving the bedroom to eat fabulous food he had mostly denied himself while keeping up his skinny, emaciated appearance for the part.

In his next film he would be playing a soldier and would have to beef up considerably. He was not looking forward to all the time he’d have to spend at the gym between read-throughs once he got to the States. He’d been every other day or so during the last couple of weeks in the West End as well, and would continue for the next week to begin building some proper muscle mass, but he had a far more rigorous schedule to look forward to in the coming weeks.

The telephone rang just after noon, and Ben went to answer it. It was Alice.

‘I don’t want you to be alarmed, but . . . you should probably check The Sun. I’m texting you a link.’ As she said it, Ben’s mobile buzzed. He pulled it out of his pocked and sat down on his bed.

The article featured a less than flattering picture of Ben, and the title, Pretty, witty and gay? Benny’s secret male lover.

For a moment, Ben could do nothing but stare. How had they found out? How had anyone at all found out?

‘Ben?’ said Alice. ‘You there?’

‘Yes, I’m reading,’ said Ben softly.

The star of ITV’s Hathaway and sci-fi blockbuster Singularity Sky, due to make his last performance as John Proctor in The Crucible in the West End tonight, may be facing a witch hunt of his own soon. Rumours are circulating the blogosphere that Benjamin Connor (35) is involved with a pretty, young . . . man.

‘I have no idea where they’re getting this,’ Alice continued, ‘but Harry’s in a right state trying to draft a statement to deny it.’

‘Alice . . .’

‘I wouldn’t take this too seriously, this is The Sun we’re talking about, but I did think you should know. This sort of libel—’

‘Alice, listen—’

‘What?’

‘It’s—it isn’t . . .’

‘True? Of course not!’

‘No, I mean,’ Ben swallowed, ‘I mean it isn’t libel.’

There was a brief silence.

‘What . . . what are you saying?’ asked Alice slowly.

Ben put his mobile down on his nightstand and ran a hand through his hair, puffing out a sigh. ‘I . . . I have been involved in a . . . relationship with another man for some weeks now.’ As he said it, the fact hit him full in the face. It was out. Somehow it was out, and there was no way of putting it back in. And another thing hit him equally hard: He hadn’t told anyone about his relationship with Mark. Not a single soul. Which meant that the information must have come from Mark. He felt suddenly sick.

‘Oh,’ said Alice. ‘I, erm . . . I mean, I’m happy for you, if this is . . . But, Ben, who is this person?’

Ben shook his head. ‘His name is Mark Harrison. He’s just someone who snuck into a party I was at and gave me his number. I . . . I thought he . . .’ He trailed off. Cleared his throat. Fell silent.

‘You think . . . You think he went to the press?’ asked Alice.

‘What other explanation is there?’ Ben murmured. ‘Has to be . . .’

He heard Alice take a deep breath on the other end of the line. ‘Harry’s gonna want to talk to you about this.’

‘I know,’ Ben replied. ‘Tell him to call me in an hour. No, two. Something I need to sort out.’

‘All right,’ said Alice. ‘Ben . . . I’m sorry.’

‘Me too.’

He wanted to scream, or cry, or be sick. Instead, he put his phone in his pocket, stood up and went to put on his shoes. A minute later he was out the door, hailing a cab.

He had to knock a few times before he could hear footsteps on the other side of the door. The door was pulled open, and a sleepy looking Mark looked up at him, astonishment evident in his face. Then he smiled happily. ‘Well, this is a surprise. To what do I owe the pleasure?’

Ben did not smile back. Instead he pushed past Mark into the tiny flat. He pulled up his mobile with the Sun article still showing and handed it to Mark without a word.

Mark frowned at him, but took the phone. His expression turned from puzzlement to shock as he read, and Ben thought bitterly, He should be the one with a BAFTA, he’s a better actor than I am.

‘Well?’ he said at last. Mark looked up at him.

‘Well, what?’ he said.

‘I haven’t told anyone about us,’ said Ben. ‘That leaves you.’

‘You—’ Mark stared at him, his expression one of incredulity. ‘You don’t believe I have anything to do with this?’

‘If you can offer some other explanation I’ll happily listen,’ said Ben, coldly.

‘I haven’t—I didn’t go to the press!’ Mark’s voice rose in pitch. ‘How could you even think that? I—’

‘They all warned me about this, you know,’ said Ben, cutting him off. ‘They said not to date people outside the business, that nothing good would come of it, that you never know if they’re for real or if they are just after their fifteen minutes of fame. I never believed them. I never for one second believed that you might be the kind of person who would—’

‘Well, clearly you did!’ Mark spoke over him. ‘Or you wouldn’t be so quick to snap to this judgment now, would you? For fuck’s sake, Ben, when have I ever given you reason to doubt me?’

‘I don’t know anything about you!’ Ben snapped.

‘You know more about me than pretty much anyone else in the world!’ Mark retorted. ‘Believe what you like, but I haven’t held anything back! I have told you everything I could think to tell you about myself. I’ve bared my fucking soul to you!’

Ben gave out a short, humourless laugh. ‘Then explain to me how they found out.’

‘How the fuck should I know?’ Mark replied, his voice gaining in volume. He folded his arms across his chest. ‘Wild guess? Shot in the dark? Maybe someone saw us. A cabbie. The mailman. The guy who delivers Thai food. Who the bollocks knows? But it wasn’t me!’

Mark’s body was tense, defensive. He stood his ground, bare feet planted a good bit apart. Ben squared his jaw, meeting his gaze with fierce, angry determination. Then he looked away.

‘I have to go. My publicist will be calling me in a bit, I need to work out what to tell him.’ He turned his back on Mark, taking a few steps towards the door.

‘Hang on a minute!’ Mark took three long strides and grabbed him by the arm, pulling him back around to face him. ‘You can’t just come here and accuse me and then just walk away!’

‘Watch me,’ said Ben, putting as much ice into the words as he could muster, summoning forth the darkness in his voice, the one he reserved for the stage or the camera, for villains and anti-heroes. Mark released his arm, taking a step back, and Ben turned away again.

‘Ben,’ said Mark weakly. ‘Please . . . Wait.’

Ben did not.

The title of Ben's ITV crime drama, Hathaway, was suggested by my boyfriend. The name came from Lewis, the spin-off from Morse, in which Hathaway is to Lewis what Lewis was to Morse. However, Ben Connor bears no resemblance to Laurence Fox who plays Hathaway, nor is Ben's Hathaway meant to be the same character.
Copyright © 2016 Thorn Wilde; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Wait I think I need a few more "O's" ...ooooooooooooooo!

What a punch in the gut for everyone!

Thanks for the great chapter Thorne; PLEEEEEAAAASE don't leave us hanging too long!

Link to comment
On 07/17/2013 03:43 AM, Miles Long said:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Wait I think I need a few more "O's" ...ooooooooooooooo!

What a punch in the gut for everyone!

Thanks for the great chapter Thorne; PLEEEEEAAAASE don't leave us hanging too long!

Well, the next chapter's already been sent off to my editor, so hopefully I'll get it back soon. Sorry about the evil cliffhanger, but it was too good to pass up. Felt like the cut there fit perfectly. ;) Glad you're still enjoying it!
Link to comment

I can appreciate that Ben might think Mark went to the press, but he completely rejected Mark's denial. A bit harsh I think.

Link to comment
On 07/17/2013 04:33 AM, Terry P said:
I can appreciate that Ben might think Mark went to the press, but he completely rejected Mark's denial. A bit harsh I think.
Quite harsh, I agree. Not his best moment. But then, if you had stepped so entirely out of your comfort zone and taken a chance on someone so highly unlikely, you might be a bit on your toes, too.
Link to comment

no no no no no no no no no no no

you cannot do this to them. or leave me here knowing you did this to them. you cruel bastard. fix it. fix it now.

... and please can it be fixed before Ben has a stupid fling with some awful female? please? *whines*

Link to comment
On 07/17/2013 04:42 AM, Sasha Distan said:
no no no no no no no no no no no

you cannot do this to them. or leave me here knowing you did this to them. you cruel bastard. fix it. fix it now.

... and please can it be fixed before Ben has a stupid fling with some awful female? please? *whines*

*snuggles* I did say I was about to be cruel to them... I guess you'll just have to trust them to sort out their shit. ;)
Link to comment
On 07/17/2013 11:39 AM, Houdinii said:
Nice read so far! The cliff hanger was a bit on the bogus side :P Can't wait to read on :)
Yeah, sorry about that... Couldn't help myself! :P Thank you!
Link to comment

I love Morse, Lewis and Hathaway :*) And I loved your story so far. Poor Mark! Ben was so harsh on accusing Mark. I hope they get together properly soon. I think it was Carol who tipped off the media. Can´t wait to read more :thumbup:

Link to comment

Well isn't that a turn up for the book. This is why you shouldn't get involved with famous people. When the shit hits the fan they're so far up their own arse the only shit they can smell is their own. Ben is acting like a spoiled brat. He went to Mark's convinced he'd gone to the press and wasn/'t prepared to listen to a word he said. That's not acceptable and Mark doesn't deserve that.

Link to comment
On 07/18/2013 05:08 AM, Nephylim said:
Well isn't that a turn up for the book. This is why you shouldn't get involved with famous people. When the shit hits the fan they're so far up their own arse the only shit they can smell is their own. Ben is acting like a spoiled brat. He went to Mark's convinced he'd gone to the press and wasn/'t prepared to listen to a word he said. That's not acceptable and Mark doesn't deserve that.
Yeah, Ben handled that quite badly, it is true. I was a little angry with him for a while...

So glad you seem to be enjoying the story, though! Thank you for reviewing! :D

Link to comment
On 07/18/2013 04:41 AM, Suvitar said:
I love Morse, Lewis and Hathaway :*) And I loved your story so far. Poor Mark! Ben was so harsh on accusing Mark. I hope they get together properly soon. I think it was Carol who tipped off the media. Can´t wait to read more :thumbup:
Ooh, I love it when people have theories! ;) So happy you're enjoying my story. Thank you very much for reviewing! :D
Link to comment

You know, Ben is acting like a jackass.As Mark said, it could have been anyone. The delivery guys, anyone. Maybe someone saw them when Ben got home from his folks. Wasn't Mark the one to take his hand and Ben let go to run his fingers through Mark's green hair? Well, even though it was 11:30 at night, there could have been someone around. Someone who recognized Ben. Do they go anywhere together? Or do they just shag in Ben's apartment? lol

 

Ben better apologize to Mark, that's all I can say. Mark should feel so insulted. And heartbroken, b/c even though he was angry with Ben for even suggesting that, once Ben turned around to go after that icy, "Watch me.", and Mark started pleading, he's now heartbroken thinking that they are now through. Ben's gonna have a lotta groveling to do. Hope he likes crow. lol

Link to comment
On 07/18/2013 02:32 PM, Lisa said:
You know, Ben is acting like a jackass.As Mark said, it could have been anyone. The delivery guys, anyone. Maybe someone saw them when Ben got home from his folks. Wasn't Mark the one to take his hand and Ben let go to run his fingers through Mark's green hair? Well, even though it was 11:30 at night, there could have been someone around. Someone who recognized Ben. Do they go anywhere together? Or do they just shag in Ben's apartment? lol

 

Ben better apologize to Mark, that's all I can say. Mark should feel so insulted. And heartbroken, b/c even though he was angry with Ben for even suggesting that, once Ben turned around to go after that icy, "Watch me.", and Mark started pleading, he's now heartbroken thinking that they are now through. Ben's gonna have a lotta groveling to do. Hope he likes crow. lol

Yeah, this wasn't Ben's finest hour... The bastard. Thank you, as ever, for reviewing! <3
Link to comment

And thus the bottom falls out and we find ourselves spiraling down into the abyss of accusations, doubts, misplaced anger and broken hearts. Red seething anger is what I imagine Ben is feeling at the moment. Mark seemed like the perfect outlet for that anger. Maybe Ben should have taken a step back, think outside of the box and rationally put the pieces together. I know, its easier said then done. Right now I think Ben is suffering from the disease we commonly call 'Foot in Mouth'. I cannot be too hard on him as I understand what he is facing and the fact that his career could be at stake. This situation cannot be met with a snappily halfhearted decision. Unfortunately that is the decision that Ben made for both him and Mark. Poor Mark is having all this displaced anger and accusations placed upon his innocent shoulders. I've a strong suspicion that Ben will be eating some Crow Pie and making amends in the near future.

Link to comment
On 07/19/2013 12:12 AM, CW Prince said:
And thus the bottom falls out and we find ourselves spiraling down into the abyss of accusations, doubts, misplaced anger and broken hearts. Red seething anger is what I imagine Ben is feeling at the moment. Mark seemed like the perfect outlet for that anger. Maybe Ben should have taken a step back, think outside of the box and rationally put the pieces together. I know, its easier said then done. Right now I think Ben is suffering from the disease we commonly call 'Foot in Mouth'. I cannot be too hard on him as I understand what he is facing and the fact that his career could be at stake. This situation cannot be met with a snappily halfhearted decision. Unfortunately that is the decision that Ben made for both him and Mark. Poor Mark is having all this displaced anger and accusations placed upon his innocent shoulders. I've a strong suspicion that Ben will be eating some Crow Pie and making amends in the near future.
Glad to see that someone else is able to see the situation from Ben's point of view in spite of his very big mistake. Thank you so much for reviewing! :)
Link to comment

I think in the back of his mind Ben had been expecting this. This is the perfect example of instinctual reaction. Why actually think. He's caught off guard he knew be didn't say anything so ergo it was Mark. Couldn't of course be anyone out and about the night he was at his parents for dinner and Mark was waiting for him. But I did notice that even erroneously assuming Mark was the person who did it, he never attempted to deny he was in a relationship with Mark. Fight or flight, jumping to conclusion and going off half-cocked on Mark he never denied his relationship with him. Now he just has to do some repair and assisting to apologize to Mark.......Mark better make him work for it too!!

Link to comment
On 08/07/2013 10:40 AM, Daithi said:
I think in the back of his mind Ben had been expecting this. This is the perfect example of instinctual reaction. Why actually think. He's caught off guard he knew be didn't say anything so ergo it was Mark. Couldn't of course be anyone out and about the night he was at his parents for dinner and Mark was waiting for him. But I did notice that even erroneously assuming Mark was the person who did it, he never attempted to deny he was in a relationship with Mark. Fight or flight, jumping to conclusion and going off half-cocked on Mark he never denied his relationship with him. Now he just has to do some repair and assisting to apologize to Mark.......Mark better make him work for it too!!
I love your reviews! <3 This chapter pissed a lot of people off, I got some pretty negative reactions towards Ben...
Link to comment

Wow, looks like I've been missing some good reading. I can understand Ben to a certain point, but I think he was wrong in not talking to Mark.

Can't help but wonder who spilled the beans tho. Kinda wondering if it was the doorman or something. Great job

Link to comment

Seeing as I've already read the next chapters, I won't comment on Ben's behavior. I liked Carol and I hope Ben will keep in touch with her, he could do with some more real friends to keep him grounded in reality.

Link to comment
On 09/03/2013 06:51 AM, Timothy M. said:
Seeing as I've already read the next chapters, I won't comment on Ben's behavior. I liked Carol and I hope Ben will keep in touch with her, he could do with some more real friends to keep him grounded in reality.
I like Carol, too. She's a nice, down-to-earth type of person. :)
Link to comment

Oh, the drama! Nicely done.

 

I like how you start with a little relationship angst, move on to evasion with family and friend and add mystery into the fold, and then follow through with a full-blown drama. Exciting!

Link to comment
On 06/06/2016 07:11 AM, Ron said:

Oh, the drama! Nicely done.

 

I like how you start with a little relationship angst, move on to evasion with family and friend and add mystery into the fold, and then follow through with a full-blown drama. Exciting!

Haha, glad you like the drama! :P

Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Well, he doesn't have to play the pronoun game anymore with anybody, eh?

Nice chapter, Thorn.

Thank, Wayne. Yeah, the secret is at least partially out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..