Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,600 Words
  • 1,023 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 Prompt Responses - 11. Prompt 399 - The Snore

Prompt 399 – Creative

Tag – The Snore

You are on vacation and having a wonderful time except for one little thing. The person on the other side of the wall has to have the world’s loudest snoring problem. The first night you swore a train was coming through your wall. After three nights you refuse to have your vacation ruined. You go next door early the in the morning to confront your neighbor about the god awful noise. Who is your neighbor and what do you do about the sound of the snoring?

*****

I leaned back against the headrest of the driver’s seat and held my breath before letting out a long, slow exhale. I exited my car and stretched my arms, then my legs. It had been a long drive. I smiled as I observed the view surrounding the little bed and breakfast I was parked in front of. The Berkshire Mountains rose in the distance, preceded by a lush, green forest. The B&B was immaculately landscaped, with a beautiful rose garden next to it. There were benches and chairs, and a white gazebo in the middle of it. I couldn’t wait to sit down and bask in its quiet beauty. After I got some sleep, of course.

I was exhausted. This vacation was a long time coming. I’d been so caught up with my job, volunteer work, and taking care of my ailing mother that I hadn’t had any time to myself for well over a year. She passed away recently and I decided to take my long overdue vacation time. I booked a two-week stay at the B&B and looked forward to getting a lot of sleep, hiking in the mountains, and doing pretty much whatever the hell I wanted to do.

My friends thought it was strange that I wanted to go away for so long by myself. At least the ones who didn’t know me that well did. My close friends understood. I am an introvert, by nature, and cherish my alone time. Being around too many people is exhausting and I really needed some time by myself to decompress after all the stress of the past year.

I grabbed my luggage from my car and headed inside to check in. It didn’t take long before I was settling into my room. I collapsed on the giant bed and let out a long moan of appreciation for the comfortable mattress. I was planning on spending a lot of time in this bed. I fell asleep almost immediately.

It was dark when I woke up. I was disoriented from being in such a deep sleep. I groaned and stretched my muscles before looking at the clock. It was just after midnight. I frowned as a loud noise invaded my senses. It sounded like a freight train was coming through the room next door. It continued in a loud, steady rhythm and I slowly realized that it was someone snoring. I put my hands over my ears. Great. I was incredibly sensitive to noise and despite my exhausted state, I knew that sleep would be a long time returning.

I used the bathroom and then changed into sweatpants and a t-shirt. I was glad I had earplugs with me, even though I never thought I’d have to use them in such an idyllic setting. The continual noise emanating from my neighbor set my every nerve on edge. I inserted the earplugs and slid under the covers. I took a series of deep breaths, concentrating on relaxing and attempted to ignore the noise from the lumberjack sawing wood next door. The more I tried to ignore it, the more I became focused on it. The snoring was so loud, I could hear it plainly even through the earplugs. Scowling, I decided to try a different tack. I grabbed my iPod and earbuds and put my white noise app on. I had the volume as loud as it would go and I could still hear the infernal racket. I decided I needed to suck it up and do my best to relax or I wouldn’t get any sleep.

I tried progressive relaxation – tensing, then relaxing all my muscles starting at my toes and working my way up. It usually worked. Tonight, it didn’t. I tossed and turned, grumbling and growling all night. I must have fallen asleep at some point, but I woke up at around seven feeling anything but rested. I took a hot shower and dressed. They would be serving breakfast, so I figured I might as well head downstairs and start my day. I fervently hoped that my loudmouth neighbor was checking out today. I should have known better.

Over the next three days I had a great time during the day. I explored the surrounding mountains, hoping to tire myself out to the point where I didn’t care about my loudmouth neighbor, but it didn’t work. My nights were spent in tense fury, with my iPod volume at maximum and my pillow over my head. I devised all sorts of ways I could get my tormentor to stop snoring; none of which was pleasant for the oblivious sleeper in the next room. I was at the point where I was going to have to become nocturnal if I wanted any sleep.

After my third sleepless night, I decided I had to take action. This B&B wasn’t cheap and I had a right to a restful night. I showered and dressed, intent on going next door and confronting my nighttime nemesis. I stood in front of the door, my hand poised to knock, when I heard a voice from within. I couldn’t understand the words, but I could hear the tone of voice, and it was very sad. I lowered my hand and returned to my room.

I decided to skip hiking that day. I was just too damn tired. I brought my laptop out to the rose garden so I could do some reading and maybe even some writing. One of my hobbies was writing romance stories, but due to my obligations it had been a long time since my muse had shown his face. I sat on a chair in the gazebo and lost myself in a sappy romance story.

“Mind if I join you?”

I looked up and stared at the speaker, my mouth open. Standing before me was an absolute Adonis of a man. He had auburn hair and bright green eyes. He wore shorts and a t-shirt. He had very sexy legs.

“I can sit somewhere else if you’d prefer some privacy.”

I blushed as I realized I’d been openly ogling the man. “No, I don’t mind. Please, sit.”

He smiled as he sat in the chair next to mine. “Thanks.”

“No problem. It’s so beautiful here, isn’t it?”

He nodded. “I love this place. I’ve been here a few times, now. It’s kind of become my refuge.”

“I can see why you picked it. It’s my first time here.”

“How are you enjoying it? No offense, but you look a bit tired. Haven’t you been sleeping well?”

I snorted. “My next door neighbor snores like a freaking freight train. I haven’t got a decent night’s sleep since I checked in three days ago.”

He sat bolt upright and looked like I’d slapped him. “What room are you in?”

“The first one on the left as you go up the stairs.”

“Oh my God. I’m in the room next to yours. I am so sorry! I have sleep apnea and know I can get a little loud, but I had no idea I was that loud! I’ll have to check my CPAP machine. I shouldn’t snore when it’s working right. I’ll ask if I can switch to a room away from yours so you can get some sleep. That’s not fair to you.”

I was shocked that such horrible noises came from such a beautiful man. I immediately took back all the awful things I imagined doing to him over the past three nights. He stood and ducked his head.

“I’m so sorry I’ve ruined your stay.” He hurried away.

 

I slept that night in blissful silence. I awoke around eight am and went downstairs for breakfast after showering and dressing. Adonis was sitting alone next to a window, eating an omelet. “Mind if I join you?”

He looked up, startled. His face turned bright red when he saw me. “Uh…sure.”

I sat down and smiled. “I slept like a baby last night.”

“I’m so glad to hear that. I checked my machine; one of the tubes had loosened up so it wasn’t providing the needed pressure. It’s fixed now. I also switched to a room across the hall.”

“So you’re here by yourself?”

The proprietor of the B&B stopped by to take to my order. I ordered a ham and cheese omelet and a cup of coffee.

He nodded. “I needed some time away. I’d been taking care of my dad since he was diagnosed with cancer eight months ago. He recently passed away.”

“I’m so sorry to hear that. I’m actually here for the same reason. I was taking care of my elderly mother until she passed away a couple weeks ago.”

“Wow. Small world, huh? I’m sorry about your mom.” He placed his hand over mine.

“Thanks.” I paused. “Would you like to go hiking with me today? There’s a trail not too far from here I’ve been dying to try out.”

He smiled and squeezed my hand. “I’d like that.”

I hope you liked the prompt! Please leave me a review or a 'like' and let me know your thoughts. :) Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Dang CPAP-machine :lol: Good thing he told the hot adonis guy about his snoring neighbour so the machine could get fixed :thumbup: We all need new friends, let's see how the hiking goes, it might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship :) Nice prompt as always, Penguin :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/01/2015 07:22 AM, Slytherin said:
Dang CPAP-machine :lol: Good thing he told the hot adonis guy about his snoring neighbour so the machine could get fixed :thumbup: We all need new friends, let's see how the hiking goes, it might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship :) Nice prompt as always, Penguin :hug:
Thanks, LBO. I'm hoping they will develop a nice friendship (or possibly more), too. They seem to have a lot in common. Thanks for the review! :hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..