Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 707 Words
  • 1,640 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 Prompt Responses - 7. Prompt 393 - The Gifts

The first package arrived a week ago. Since then you have gotten a gift a day for nine days now. What did you get and who is sending the gifts?

I opened the door to my mail slot and pulled out a handful of junk mail, plus a small, wrapped box. I smiled the entire time I walked to my dorm room, wondering what my latest present was. Starting last week, February first to be exact, I had received a small trinket in my mailbox every day. I wondered who could possibly be sending them. I was hopelessly single, with no prospects on the horizon. This was my first semester at college and I hadn’t made very many friends yet. My roommate was a partier who I doubted would last past the semester. I didn’t have anything in common with him. Luckily he spent most of his time away from our room.

As I put my key in my door, I saw movement at the end of the hallway. It was the guy who lived in the room at the end of the hall. He darted into his room after glancing at me. I didn’t know him very well. He pretty much kept to himself, kind of like I did. I think his name was Jordan. He was in a few of my classes, but we had never interacted beyond the initial dorm meeting at the beginning of the semester. He was adorable, but seemed painfully shy.

I entered my room, threw the junk mail on my desk, and plopped down on my bed. I ripped the paper off the present, revealing a chocolate heart and a note. This was the first time I had received any sort of correspondence from my mystery benefactor. I opened the note to read a date, time, and place. February 14th, 7:00 pm, the Red Mill Inn. There was a picture of a single red rose underneath the writing.

The Red Mill Inn was a local restaurant known for their steak and seafood. It wasn’t cheap, but it was worth every penny. I bit into the chocolate heart and discovered that it was actually a peanut butter cup. My eyes rolled back into my head as I savored the smooth silkiness of my favorite flavor combination. This was quality stuff. I placed the note on my desk with the other trinkets I had received over the past nine days.

The person sending the gifts somehow knew my likes, or else they were a good guesser. So far I had received the latest CD by my favorite blues artist, a little teddy bear, a book by my favorite author, gift cards to Amazon and our local coffee shop, and a couple candy bars. This was either the most romantic thing to ever happen to me, or else the creepiest.

I needed to decide if I was going to go that restaurant on Valentine’s Day. I was dying to know who was sending me all these gifts, but at the same time was terrified to find out. I just hoped it wasn’t a girl; although I wasn’t out so that diminished the chances of it being a guy significantly. I sighed, clutching the little teddy bear. After all the effort this person went through, I didn’t have it in me to stand them up.

*****

I spent Saturday picking out an outfit for my date that night. I settled on a pair of khakis with a button-down shirt and a nice sweater. I styled my hair to the best of my ability, but it was an unruly mop to begin with and resisted my efforts to tame it. I had continued to receive gifts every day, culminating with a single red rose left in my mailbox that morning.

I carried the rose as I nervously entered the restaurant. I had no idea who was waiting for me. Not even a single guess. The maître d’ smiled when I gave him my name. “Right this way, sir.”

He led me to the back of the restaurant to a table in front of a stone fireplace. A fire blazed in the hearth and it was easily the best table in the crowded establishment. I looked at the table’s single occupant and smiled shyly as I sat down opposite him. He held a single red rose in his trembling hands.

“Hi Jordan.”

“Hi Charlie.”

Thanks for reading!  Please leave a 'like' or review and let me know how you liked the story.  smile.png
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a wonderfully touching story, Val. Now I know what I likely missed commuting to college rather than living on campus--but the Orientation days told me I wouldn't like the 130-year-old rooms or communal baths. The food was good though, I have to give it that.

 

Keep up the great promptings. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/12/2015 04:06 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
What a wonderfully touching story, Val. Now I know what I likely missed commuting to college rather than living on campus--but the Orientation days told me I wouldn't like the 130-year-old rooms or communal baths. The food was good though, I have to give it that.

 

Keep up the great promptings. :)

Thanks, CG. I lived on campus for three years when I got my bachelors degree, but never had anything like this happen. lol The floor I lived on did a secret Santa exchange, so this was sort of inspired by that. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/12/2015 04:54 AM, Slytherin said:
Sweet story :) ! it must be a good guy if he sent a Teddy bear, right -_-:lol:
Thanks, LBO. I have a feeling Jordan is a real sweetheart, just painfully shy. I doubt I'll revisit these guys, but I'd love to know how he found the courage to do such a sweet and bold thing for Charlie. Thanks for the review. :hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/12/2015 10:45 AM, comicfan said:
Wasn't sure what people would do with this. Really liked the sweet story. Very nicely done. :)
Thanks, Wayne. I'm glad you liked it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/12/2015 11:56 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Val, that was so sweet. I could see Jordan darting into his room, out of sight. So cute!
Thanks, Cole! I appreciate the review. :hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sweet and 'prompt'! And the best part is, now you have material for an entire date: dinner, chat, romantic stroll, and maybe a nightcap....get it, continue on with the story! The set up is great, and I want to learn more about these two guys

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/12/2015 02:48 PM, AC Benus said:
Sweet and 'prompt'! And the best part is, now you have material for an entire date: dinner, chat, romantic stroll, and maybe a nightcap....get it, continue on with the story! The set up is great, and I want to learn more about these two guys
Thanks, AC. I hadn't planned on revisiting these guys, but I never know where the prompts take me. I'm glad you liked it. :) Thanks for the review. :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/13/2015 01:42 PM, SoullessCynner said:
Did you hit the 'reply' button a bit too quickly? :gikkle: I hope you liked the story...lol
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..