Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 968 Words
  • 987 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 Prompt Responses - 19. Prompt 441

Prompt 441 First line: "Really? If you believe that, you have lost your mind!"

Prompt 441 – Creative

Tag – First Line

“Really? If you believe that, you have lost your mind!”

 

“Really? If you believe that, you have lost your mind!”

“I know what I saw!”

“Tim is not an alien.” I looked at my friend in consternation. Alan had been showing increasingly bizarre behavior lately, and I was worried about him.

“How do you know? I’m telling you…I saw him putting his contacts in and he had reptilian eyes. Honest to God reptile eyes! He’s not human, Tony. I’m not crazy!”

“All right, all right…calm down, will ya?” I looked around the restaurant. Alan’s raised voice had the other diners shooting us disapproving looks.

“You think I’m nuts just like the rest of my family.” Alan looked like he was about to cry. “I’m not like them. I’m not crazy.”

“Ok, you’re not crazy.” Our conversation was interrupted by the waitress bringing our orders. She looked worriedly at Alan before she set his order down and scurried away.

I scrutinized my friend’s appearance while we munched on our burgers and fries silently. He had lost weight over the past few months so his clothes were baggier than usual. He had dark circles under his eyes, and his hair was messy, although on him it just looked fashionable. I knew better, though. His face bore several days scruff, despite the fact that he was generally clean-shaven.

Alan’s family had a long history of mental illness. His sister was recently diagnosed as bipolar, and his mother was schizophrenic. He was at the age when symptoms were known to first manifest. My heart broke for the man who had stood by me through some very difficult times. It appeared that now it was time to return the favor.

“I know what you’re thinking. I’m not like them, you know. I’ve just been having a tough time lately, and seeing Tim like that really threw me for a loop.”

I sighed. “Have you seen a psychiatrist?”

He scowled. “And tell them that I think my roommate is an alien? I don’t want to be locked up.”

“Alan…”

“Tony, stop ok? I’m sorry I said anything.”

“What’s going on? You said you’ve been having a tough time lately. Talk to me. You know you can tell me anything.”

He stared at his plate, repeatedly dipping a fry in ketchup. “I’m not sure I can tell you.”

“Wow…that really hurts. I thought we were better friends than that.”

“People lose friends and family over this all the time. I don’t want to lose your friendship.”

“Alan…there’s nothing you can say that would make me stop being your friend.”

He looked at me with pleading eyes. “Please don’t hate me.”

I placed my hand on top of his and smiled. “I could never hate you.”

He inhaled deeply. “Tony…I think I’m in love with Tim. At least I was before I found out he’s an alien. Being an alien is kind of a deal breaker.”

I squeezed his hand and smiled. “Tim’s a great guy. I’m happy for you.”

“You don’t care that I’m gay?”

“Of course not. I’ve known you for a long time, Alan. I’ve known you were gay for a long time.”

“You have?”

I nodded. “I’m more concerned about Tim being an alien.”

He snorted and pulled his hand away abruptly. “I knew I shouldn’t have said anything.”

“I’m glad you did. I’m concerned about you. I think you should see a doctor.”

He scowled and stood. “I’m not crazy! Screw you, Tony!” he shouted before running out of the restaurant. I sighed and flagged the waitress down so I could pay the check and leave.

 

The next day I decided to visit Alan and check up on him. Tim opened the door and smiled. “Hi Tony. Come in.”

“Hi Tim.” I walked into the apartment, but didn’t see Alan. “Is Alan here?”

“Yeah, he’s sleeping. He had a bit of a rough day.”

I nodded. “How’s he been doing? I’m really concerned about him.”

Tim gestured to the couch and we both sat. “We had an interesting conversation yesterday.”

“Oh? What about?”

He chuckled lowly. “I think you already know the answer to that question.” He winked, and I swore he had a third eyelid. I shook my head.

“Which part?”

“He seems to have some strange ideas about me.”

“I’m sorry. I’ve been trying to get him to go to the doctor, but he refuses.”

“Why would he need to go to the doctor? He’s not sick.”

“I think that maybe he is…” I said slowly. “He’s not thinking right.”

Tim raised an eyebrow. “Because he thinks I’m an alien?”

I nodded. I heard a door open and Alan walked into the living room. He sat down on the chair opposite the couch. I gasped. Something was very wrong with my friend. He was deathly pale with large dark circles under his eyes. He appeared to have lost even more weight, even though it had only been one day since I’d seen him. The worst thing was the dead look in his eyes. He looked like he’d been lobotomized.

“Alan? Are you ok?”

He didn’t even acknowledge me.

“You know, it’s a shame he told you. I really liked you.” There was no mistaking the third eyelid this time as Tim looked at me and blinked.

“Uh…I think I’d better go.” I rose and headed for the door, only to be stopped by Tim’s hand on my arm.

“I’m sorry Tony, but I can’t let you go. You know too much.”

There was no mistaking the reptilian eyes or the forked tongue that snaked out of his mouth and into my ear. Pain exploded throughout my head as I collapsed to the ground and slowly lost consciousness.

I know, I know...I'm horrible for ending it where I did. :devil: Thanks for reading, and don't beat me up too badly  ;) 
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I was going to say that was sweet and fun...but then you had to go and make Tim be a "bad" alien. Not nice Val
i think you know what your next prompt should be.....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I won't beat you up as long as the next prompt ha some major feel good vibes to it.

 

Great prompt piece but I hope you don't leave it there. *Hint* :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Whaat!!! Not nice.
Good story though, I'll go ahead and assume that soon, you will make it up to us somehow!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You know I'm often the one yelled at for not completing a story to a readers satisfaction. However, this time I have to agree we the others. Foul! You need to finish this. Hmm. I forget what prompts I had for next week. They are written and given to Renee weeks in advance or I would be tailoring one to try to get you to finish this. :lol: Nice job.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/24/2015 04:58 AM, Puppilull said:

Oh no! Tim bad! Tim bad! We don't fry other people's brains...

Yes, Tim very bad...Thanks for reading. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/24/2015 05:00 AM, Reader1810 said:

I was going to say that was sweet and fun...but then you had to go and make Tim be a "bad" alien. Not nice Val

i think you know what your next prompt should be.....

We'll see what Wayne gives us on Friday. ;) Thanks for the review. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/24/2015 06:06 AM, Caz Pedroso said:

I won't beat you up as long as the next prompt ha some major feel good vibes to it.

 

Great prompt piece but I hope you don't leave it there. *Hint* :P

LOL Thanks, Caz. ;) We'll see if I'm inspired by any of Friday's prompts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/24/2015 06:48 AM, Defiance19 said:

Whaat!!! Not nice.

Good story though, I'll go ahead and assume that soon, you will make it up to us somehow!

Thanks, Defiance. I'll make it up to you guys...I promise!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/24/2015 08:21 AM, comicfan said:

You know I'm often the one yelled at for not completing a story to a readers satisfaction. However, this time I have to agree we the others. Foul! You need to finish this. Hmm. I forget what prompts I had for next week. They are written and given to Renee weeks in advance or I would be tailoring one to try to get you to finish this. :lol: Nice job.

I don't know...I kind of like the ambiguous ending. Will Tony end up like Alan, or did Tim finish the job? Will someone intervene and stop Tim before he can finish the job? We'll see if I'm inspired by what you sent Renee for Friday. I'm glad you liked it. :)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
8 minutes ago, Slytherin said:

Yikes! :lmao: *hides under chair* 

im not saying ancient aliens GIF by Giffffr

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..