Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,006 Words
  • 924 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 Prompt Responses - 18. Prompt 439

Prompt 439 - word list: a clown, a motorcycle, vacation tickets, chocolate cake, and a ring

Randy sat in Tom’s favorite chair, his head resting against the back as he drummed his fingers on the armrests. He rocked back and forth, the rhythm calming his frazzled nerves. Tom was late. Again. He had assured Randy he would be on time tonight, but instead it became yet another unfulfilled promise. Randy was tempted to call Tom’s place of employment to make sure he really was working, but he was afraid of what answer he might receive if he ended up dialing that number.

The glow from the streetlights and nubs of candles were the only source of illumination in the dark living room. Randy was sitting in Tom’s chair because it afforded him a view of their driveway from the bay window adorning the front of the house. He didn’t know why he was torturing himself this way. He should turn on the TV and find some crappy show to distract him from his thoughts of Tom. That would be an exercise in futility though, and Randy knew it. He preferred to stew silently and let the smell of the dinner he prepared waft through him, adding fuel to his discontent.

An hour later, Randy sat up when he heard the roar of Tom’s motorcycle as he revved up the driveway, then silence. He let his head fall back against the chair again and steeled himself for the inevitable fight. The door tumbler clicked, the hinges that he’d asked Tom to fix more times than he could count squeaked in protest, then he heard a soft snick as the lock was reengaged. The room was flooded in light as Tom flicked the switch that operated the table lamp.

“Why is it so dark in here? Randy, are you home?” Tom called out.

Randy briefly debated not answering, but sat up in the chair and turned toward his boyfriend’s voice. “You’re late. Again.”

“I am so sorry, sweetheart. I had to wait for an important delivery and they were late. I was going to text you, but my cell phone battery died.” Tom walked over to Randy, intending to kiss him, but stopped when he saw the look on the other man’s face.

“I shouldn’t be surprised. You’re always late.”

“Can we not do this tonight? I’ve had a really crappy day.”

“Oh, you’ve had a crappy day? What about me? You never even ask about my day.”

“Ok, I guess we are doing this then. How was your day? Anything new in the exciting world of retail management?”

“You know what? Just forget it. I’m sorry I even tried.” Randy stood up and fled into their bedroom. This was not how he had envisioned this evening, although he supposed he shouldn’t be surprised.

Tom sighed in exasperation and set his briefcase down on the coffee table, almost knocking over the glass of water that was sitting there. “Dammit, Randy. How many times do I have to tell you to use a coaster? Otherwise it leaves a ring on the fucking table,” he muttered under his breath as he removed a coaster from the end table near the couch. It was then that he noticed the lit candles placed around the room, burned down to about an inch. The smell of his favorite dinner hit him then, and he understood why his boyfriend was so upset about him being late. He frowned. Randy had no right to be so upset. He hadn’t cooked for Tom in weeks, so how the hell was he supposed to know he made a romantic dinner?

He closed his eyes, inhaled, held his breath, then let it out slowly. He needed to stop this train of thought. Confrontation was the last thing he wanted, but Randy made it really hard sometimes to hold his tongue. He opened his briefcase and removed a small envelope. The cover was adorned with clowns, tigers, magicians, and smiling trapeze artists. He held it between his fingers as if weighing the contents, then walked into their bedroom.

Randy was lying face down, clutching his pillow tightly. Tom sat down near the foot of the bed, his back to his distraught partner. Randy didn’t react. They were both silent, each waiting for the other to speak. It was Tom who broke the silence.

“I didn’t know you were planning dinner. I’m sorry.”

Randy’s reply was muffled as he replied into the pillow, “I shouldn’t have been surprised. You’re always late. You’re hardly ever home.”

“I couldn’t pass up the overtime. I’ve made some really good money over the past few months.”

“Are you having an affair?” Randy whispered.

Tom flinched as if he had been struck. He knew they’d been having problems, but it never occurred to him that Randy would suspect him of cheating. “How can you even think that? Of course not!”

Randy sat up and Tom turned to face him. His heart broke when he saw the tears running down his stoic boyfriend’s face. “I made dinner tonight because I wanted to try and save us. I even made your favorite chocolate cake. I love you, Tom. I hate what’s happening between us, but I can’t live like this anymore.”

Tom’s face paled when he heard those words. “Ran…oh my God…please…I don’t want you to go.”

“Things have to change. We need to work on us if we’re to have any hope. Tonight was the last straw. I can’t keep doing this.”

“Do you want to know why I’ve been working so hard lately?”

“Because you don’t want to be around me.”

Tom shakily held out the colorful envelope. “Just the opposite, actually.”

Randy opened the envelope and removed the two vacation tickets. His eyes widened and he looked at his lover in surprise. “Vegas?”

“Two weeks all to ourselves. You’re right. We do need to work on us, and this is the first step. I love you, Randy and don’t want to lose you.”

Randy nodded and flung his arms around Tom. “I don’t want to lose you, either.”

Please 'like' or review and let me know how you liked the story. Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The difficulties of long term relationships... When you realise just loving one another isn't enough and communication has ground to a halt. I hope they make it. Vegas, baby!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I hope they can work it out and start communicating better, Vegas is a good start :P I can't Believe you had inspiration to write 2 prompts this week, good job, Penguin :):2thumbs:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/20/2015 05:32 AM, Puppilull said:

The difficulties of long term relationships... When you realise just loving one another isn't enough and communication has ground to a halt. I hope they make it. Vegas, baby!

I hope they make it, too. Thanks Puppilull. Hopefully what happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas in this case. lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/20/2015 07:11 AM, Slytherin said:

I hope they can work it out and start communicating better, Vegas is a good start :P I can't Believe you had inspiration to write 2 prompts this week, good job, Penguin :):2thumbs:

I'm on a roll this week. Two prompts and antho story completed. I'm also going to be working on The Hollow Hills. :) I hope they can work it out, too. Thanks for the review! :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Awww, this was so sweet! Two people making an honest effort to save their love. Awesome! Props for fitting in the vacation tickets - I'm trying to find a way to stick them into my response, lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/12/2015 01:20 AM, albertnothlit said:

Awww, this was so sweet! Two people making an honest effort to save their love. Awesome! Props for fitting in the vacation tickets - I'm trying to find a way to stick them into my response, lol.

Thanks, Albert. Sometimes it can be hard to find a way to fit in some of the words on the list and sometimes they become a central part of the story. Good luck! I look forward to checking out your response. :) Thanks for the review. I'm glad you liked it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..