Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,500 Words
  • 1,008 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 Prompt Responses - 15. Prompt 426 - The Marriage Proposal

I set the paintbrush down and stepped back to survey my work. The contractors had finished building my new porch the day before, and I spent the entire day painting it. It was the last of a series of renovations that had taken years to complete. I grinned and pulled out my phone to take some pictures so I could post the results of my efforts on Facebook.

I headed inside and took a shower after selecting my outfit for Ted’s party. I belted out my favorite song as I lathered my body under the warm stream of water. One of the advantages of living alone was that I didn’t have to worry about making a fool of myself when I sang in the shower. I was in a great mood and briefly debated making myself even happier as I ran the soap over my nether regions. I was running a bit late, though so decided a little tension this evening would be worth the later release.

I finished my shower and changed into shorts and a polo shirt. Finishing the renovations on my house was just the latest in a string of good fortune. I was recently promoted to my dream job at work. I was forty-two years old and passed my recent physical with flying colors. My 100 year old farmhouse now looked like something out of Better Homes and Gardens. Life was good, despite being perpetually single.

For the most part, I was happy being single. I did my share of dating, but had yet to find someone I really ‘clicked’ with and wanted to spend time with outside of the bedroom. I put my wallet in my back pocket and grabbed my keys before walking out the door.

Ted’s party was already in full swing when I arrived. He greeted me at the door and introduced me to a few of the guests before being called into the kitchen by his wife. Ted was one of my best friends. We met in elementary school and were pretty much inseparable growing up. He didn’t need much of an excuse to throw a party. Tonight was to celebrate my promotion, although I doubt if half the people present even knew me.

I was hungry after painting all day, and made my way outside to the food tables. After gathering a plateful of potato salad, burgers, fruit salad, and various other casserole-style dishes, I sat in a chair and began to consume my meal.

“Is this seat taken?”

I looked up into the bluest eyes I had ever seen. I had a mouthful of burger, so I just nodded as the gorgeous man who belonged to those eyes sat next to me. He smiled and motioned to the corner of his mouth. “You have a little something…”

I grabbed my napkin and wiped my mouth as I swallowed. I’m sure my face was as red as the ketchup I had just wiped from my face. “Thanks.”

“No problem. I’m Kevin.” He held out his hand. I made sure mine was ketchup-free before shaking it.

“Matt.” Kevin’s hold lingered before he let go.

“So tell me about yourself, Matt.”

“Well, I’m a software developer. I was recently promoted to head of my division.”

“Congratulations!”

“Thanks.” We talked all evening. I told him all about my job and the renovations to the house. He was charming, intelligent, witty, and very good-looking. I felt a connection with him that I hadn’t felt with any other man. I was starting to wonder if I was leading some kind of charmed life. Everything was on such an upswing, it almost felt too good to be true.

“Which one of you is Matt?” A disheveled man stumbled into my chair, grabbing my arm to keep himself from falling flat on his face. He reeked of beer.

“Uh, that’d be me,” I said.

“Hey, I’m…I’m…I’m Cal. Short for Callum.” He slurred his words and swayed as he stood with his hand on the back of my chair to steady himself. “Ted told me you’re gay. You are gay, right?”

I frowned and nodded. “Yes, I am.” My sexuality was hardly a secret, but I found it odd that Ted would just blurt it out to this obviously drunk man.

“So am I. Did you hear that it’s legal now? Everywhere. We can get married anywhere now. Isn’t that great?” He held up a bottle of beer in a shaky attempt at a toast. I don’t think he was coherent enough to formulate the words he wanted to say, so he gave up and chugged several swallows of beer. “Hey! I just had a thought!” he slurred. He attempted to set his beer down on the ground, but ended up falling instead. He pushed himself onto his knees and held onto my leg as he somehow managed to get himself into a position where he was on one knee looking up at me with bloodshot eyes. “Let’s get married. We’re both gay…it’s legal now…what do ya say? Will you marry me?”

I looked at him in open mouthed shock. “Uh…” I looked at Kevin, who raised an eyebrow. “I don’t know this man, Kevin.” Cal was looking at me expectantly. “I can’t marry you. I don’t even know you!” I brushed his hand off my leg. The look on his face was one of pure chagrin.

“But…but…but...why not?” I thought he was going to start to cry.

“Oh my god, Cal! What the hell are you doing?” Ted helped him to his feet and supported him. I don’t think he would have remained upright otherwise.

“He said ‘no’.” Cal’s crestfallen look was almost comical.

“C’mon. Let’s get you inside and sobered up.” Ted looked back at me as he led his drunk friend away. “Sorry about that, Matt. Cal’s had a bit of a rough time lately.”

I shrugged. “No worries.”

Kevin looked at me amusedly. “First proposal?”

I laughed. “Yeah, actually. I always imagined something slightly different.”

“Do you want to get out of here? I’d love to get to know you somewhere more private.”

“Would you like to see my house?”

Kevin nodded.

 

I awoke later that night to an unfamiliar ring tone. The house tour I gave Kevin didn’t last past my bedroom. Kevin was a great lover. I also really liked him as a person. I finally felt like I had met someone I’d like to get to know better.

“Sorry, honey. I got a bit caught up at the party. I’m on my way home now.”

Wait…what?

“Sorry, Matt. I was really hoping for a round two tonight, but I’ll have to take a raincheck. That was the wife wondering where I am.”

“Excuse me? Your wife?” I asked incredulously.

“Yeah. She was out with the girls tonight, so I thought it would be a perfect boys’ night.” He grabbed his shorts and t-shirt and dressed quickly. He leaned down and kissed me before stopping in the doorway. I sat on the bed in shock. “I had a great time tonight, Matt. I hope we can do it again sometime.”

I stared at him as he left without waiting for a response. I flopped back on the bed and put my hand over my eyes. Great. So much for Mr. Perfect.

 

About a month later I was at Ted’s for another party. Kevin was there with his wife, but thankfully he ignored me. I guess he got the hint when I didn’t return any of his calls or texts. I wonder if she knew what a dick her husband really was.

After gathering a plateful of food, I sat in the same chair as the month before. I was thinking about my latest project at work when I heard a familiar voice.

“Mind if I sit here?”

I shook my head. “Nope. Hi, Callum.”

He looked at me quizzically. “Hi…” he said hesitantly. “Um…sorry to sound like a jerk, but do I know you? I think I’d remember meeting you.” He looked me up and down and smiled.

I laughed. “We’ve met, but you don’t know me. I don’t think you were in much of a state to remember anything.” He looked much better sober. His raven-black hair was combed neatly and he sported just enough scruff to be sexy.

He turned bright red. “Oh no. What did I do?”

“Well, let’s just say you were rather enthused about the SCOTUS ruling on same-sex marriage.”

“I’m so sorry. I’m not a drunk…honest. I was going through a really tough time that night and didn’t handle it well.”

“No worries. It was very flattering, actually. I’d never been proposed to before.”

“Oh my god. I proposed?”

I nodded. I don’t think it’s possible for a human being to turn any redder than Callum did. I smiled. “Maybe we should get to know each other better first before the next time you propose?”

He laughed. “Sure, I’d like that.”

Tag – The Marriage Proposal
Life has seemingly been perfect lately. You have the job of your dreams, a house you refinished, and your health is great. There only seems to be one hole, namely you are single. Suddenly one night the perfect person appears out of nowhere at a friend’s party. Before the night is over you find you are on the receiving end of a marriage proposal. What do you do and who is this perfect person?
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

A lot of stock is put in the theory of first impressions. Thanks for blowing that theory out of the water!
Kevin and Callum are perfects examples as to why we should not bestow such importance on first impressions as we might miss out on something (doesn't even need to be about a person either) really good.
I see good things ahead Matt and Callum.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Poor Matt, Kevin was a jerk and Callum was a drunk jerk at first :P They will probably laugh about that first proposal many times and I hope there will be a next proposal and that will be perfect ! Right ? :funny: Nice prompt :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/28/2015 04:26 AM, Puppilull said:

That was a perfect celebratory story for yesterday's historic event! So sweet!

Thanks :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/28/2015 04:32 AM, Reader1810 said:

A lot of stock is put in the theory of first impressions. Thanks for blowing that theory out of the water!

Kevin and Callum are perfects examples as to why we should not bestow such importance on first impressions as we might miss out on something (doesn't even need to be about a person either) really good.

I see good things ahead Matt and Callum.

First impressions are not always what they seem. I see good things ahead for them, too. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/28/2015 05:51 AM, Slytherin said:

Poor Matt, Kevin was a jerk and Callum was a drunk jerk at first :P They will probably laugh about that first proposal many times and I hope there will be a next proposal and that will be perfect ! Right ? :funny: Nice prompt :P

Thanks, LBO. You never know...there may be a proposal in their future that Callum will actually remember. lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great job, Val! Your little tale put me through an entire range of emotions while reading it. Best of all, it left me smiling. Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/28/2015 10:28 PM, Carlos Hazday said:

Great job, Val! Your little tale put me through an entire range of emotions while reading it. Best of all, it left me smiling. Thanks!

Thanks :) I'm glad you liked it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..