Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 972 Words
  • 1,217 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 Prompt Responses - 12. Prompt 400 - High School Reunion

First line - "But I thought you were dead!"

“But I thought you were dead!” Jeremy was looking at me in open-mouthed incredulity.

“Last time I checked, I was very much alive.” I smiled, amused at the brown-haired man’s reaction upon seeing me again.

“I’m sorry… I don’t mean to keep staring at you, but I’m just so thrilled to see you here.”

“I’m curious…how exactly did I die?” I decided to have a little fun with this.

Jeremy looked uncomfortable and fidgeted before responding. “Um…well…the rumor is that you were killed in a gay bashing outside a gay bar in New York City. They even organized a memorial scholarship fund for you.”

I turned white and started shaking. They had it half right. It’s how my partner died ten years ago.

“Hey are you ok?”

I shook my head. Coming here was a huge mistake. I told Carrie that, but she made me come anyway. Jeremy put his arm around my shoulders and guided me to a chair. “I’ll get you something to drink.”

I grabbed his arm, stopping him. “Please don’t go.”

He smiled and nodded. “So how come you didn’t come to our tenth reunion? Why wait until the twentieth?”

I grimaced. “Honestly? I didn’t want to come. Carrie dragged me here. I learned a long time ago that you can’t say ‘no’ to her.” I paused. “Ten years ago John had just died. After what I went through in high school I probably would have caused a scene or ten.”

Jeremy nodded. “You didn’t deserve all the shit you got.”

I shrugged. “No, I didn’t. But it made me stronger. It made me the man I am today.” I squeezed his arm. “You were always nice to me.”

He looked down. “I could have done more. I should have tried to stop them.”

“Hey, don’t think like that. They would have given you shit, too for protecting the queer. I don’t think I could have handled that.”

I had the biggest crush on Jeremy in high school. Even though we were never friends, he was always kind to me.

“You were braver than I ever was. I admired you for being yourself. Whether you know it or not, Vince, you were an inspiration to me.”

I looked at him quizzically. “You’re kidding me, right? It’s not like I had much of choice about coming out. Believe me, if it had been my choice I wouldn’t have.”

“I don’t think I would have survived it,” he said quietly. “In fact—“

“There you are! Did you see this?” Carrie marched up to me and stuck the reunion program in my face. It was open to the page about my memorial scholarship fund. No wonder everyone was staring at me when we walked in. I thought they were just incredulous that the queer had the nerve to show his face.

“Jeremy told me.”

“Hi Carrie. It’s good to see you.”

“You too, Jeremy. Vince, are you ok? You look a bit pale.”

“I’ll be ok, Care. Finding out that everyone thinks I’m dead was a bit of a shock.”

“I’ll get you that drink now. Any preference?”

“Whisky sour.”

Jeremy nodded and left to get my drink. Carrie sat next to me and grabbed my arm. “He seems very concerned about you.”

“He’s been great. I have nothing against him. He was always nice to me.”

Carrie smirked. “I bet you have something you’d like to hold against him.”

I smacked her arm. “Stop…that was twenty years ago!”

“You have to admit, he’s aged well.”

I did have to admit that. He returned with our drinks and Carrie excused herself, winking at me before flouncing off to visit old friends.

I sipped my drink. “So, are you here with your wife?”

Jeremy choked on the sip of his drink he just took and laughed. “No…I never married. I’m not here with anyone.”

“Oh, sorry…I just assumed.”

“Well, you know what they say about assuming…”

I laughed.

He looked at me seriously. “What I was going to say before we were interrupted is that I don’t think I would have survived coming out in high school. It was hard enough in college.”

It was my turn to choke on my drink. Jeremy was gay? The man I fantasized about every day in high school and quite a bit after was actually gay?

“What?” I whispered. “But you dated girls in high school…you…you can’t be gay!”

He laughed. “Yeah, because I’m the only gay guy to ever pretend.”

“Wow…Jeremy.”

“You know, I had the biggest crush on you in high school. I wanted to ask you out so bad, but I was terrified that someone would find out my secret.”

“I know how you feel.”

“I’m ashamed I was such a coward. I missed out on a great opportunity. Provided you would have said ‘yes’, that is.” He laughed nervously.

I smiled. “Oh, I would have said ‘yes’ in a heartbeat.” I took his hand. “I had a bit of a crush on you, too.”

He grinned. “No kidding?”

I shook my head. “You were the cutest guy in school and always so nice to me. I couldn’t help it.” I started to move my hand away, but he held it tighter.

“So, are you single?”

I nodded. “I’ve dated on and off since John died, but nothing that’s lasted.”

He traced circles on my hand with his thumb. “I’m single, too. My partner walked out on me two years ago for another man. I finally feel ready to try again.”

“You know, I could give a rat’s ass about anyone else here. What do you say we go somewhere else for dinner and catch up?”

He grinned and stood up, pulling me with him. “What are we waiting for?”

I texted Carrie on my way out the door.

This is dedicated to the Vince I went to high school with. He had to leave school during our sophomore year because he was outed. I've always wondered what happened to him.
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope your Vince didn't have to go through all that! Humans can be the lowest of the low sometimes. Sad...

 

Happy though this Vince got the chance to rekindle the old flame. Sweet!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/10/2015 03:29 AM, Puppilull said:
I hope your Vince didn't have to go through all that! Humans can be the lowest of the low sometimes. Sad...

 

Happy though this Vince got the chance to rekindle the old flame. Sweet!

I didn't really know the real Vince. He ran with the popular crowd and I didn't. I always had a bit of a crush on him since he was a real cutie. He seemed like a nice guy, even though I didn't interact with him that much. I shudder to think what happened to the poor guy to make him have to leave school. I wish I could remember his last name so I could look him up and maybe find out what happened to him. I've always wondered. I hope he got his HEA or at least some measure of peace. I hope the fictional Vince and Jeremy are able to make a go of it. I think they both deserve some happiness. Thanks for reading and taking the time to leave a review. :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I see what you mean about our stories. Yes, reunions and the death of a partner but we varied greatly in what else was happening. Very sweet tale Val. Life goes on and at least for Vince and Jeremy it was only twenty years. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/10/2015 05:07 AM, comicfan said:
I see what you mean about our stories. Yes, reunions and the death of a partner but we varied greatly in what else was happening. Very sweet tale Val. Life goes on and at least for Vince and Jeremy it was only twenty years. :)
Yeah, it was a lot longer for your guys. It just goes to show that it's never too late, I suppose. I need to remind myself of that fact from time to time. lol I'm glad you liked it, Wayne. Thanks for the review! :hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sometimes high school reunions can bring a surprise or two. I'm glad they were both brave enough to admit to their crush. But why not stay and show everyone things are different now?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/10/2015 06:40 AM, Timothy M. said:
Sometimes high school reunions can bring a surprise or two. I'm glad they were both brave enough to admit to their crush. But why not stay and show everyone things are different now?
I thought about having them stay and interact with some of their classmates, even getting some apologies. It would have made for a much longer story, though so I chose to end it with them connecting/reconnecting. Thanks for reading, Tim. I appreciate the review! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Always a great story, no matter the length, Val! With no details of the town, I can understand Jeremy's not wanting to be out...Vince had it bad, and that was reason enough to stay hidden.

I too, was not part of the popular crowd, far from it since I didn't do sports or join 4-H...I was more artistic and was in Art Club three of my four high-school years, but even then, coming out in a 2500 person small town wasn't an option in '77--so far as I knew, I was the only gay person in my school, although I did get two obscene calls from guys--one was pretty hot, but I had no clue who it was, and another time, I did get asked to meet someone in the evening at a point halfway between our houses--but I didn't go thinking it might have been a joke.

So, no major drama for my school years, just loneliness until college.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/10/2015 10:36 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
Always a great story, no matter the length, Val! With no details of the town, I can understand Jeremy's not wanting to be out...Vince had it bad, and that was reason enough to stay hidden.

I too, was not part of the popular crowd, far from it since I didn't do sports or join 4-H...I was more artistic and was in Art Club three of my four high-school years, but even then, coming out in a 2500 person small town wasn't an option in '77--so far as I knew, I was the only gay person in my school, although I did get two obscene calls from guys--one was pretty hot, but I had no clue who it was, and another time, I did get asked to meet someone in the evening at a point halfway between our houses--but I didn't go thinking it might have been a joke.

So, no major drama for my school years, just loneliness until college.

Sorry for the delay in replying, CG. Somehow I missed your review. My entire high school probably had close to 2,000 students. My graduating class alone had about 750. It didn't make it any easier for poor Vince in the mid 80s. Thanks for leaving such a thoughtful review. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..