Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,167 Words
  • 1,946 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 Prompt Responses - 6. Prompt 392 - The Minor Part 5

First line: "What the hell are you watching?"

“What the hell are you watching?” My cellmate looked at me like I was nuts.

“There’s an ant trying to carry a crumb that’s like ten times its size.” I was watching it struggle with carrying its burden across the floor of the jail cell. I sympathized with the overburdened creature.

“What are you in for?”

I looked at the man I was currently sharing space with. I had a feeling this wasn’t his first time in this situation. It was my first time.

“I beat up my brother,” I mumbled.

“Damn…your own brother?”

“Well, he deserved it.”

“It looks like he got in some pretty good hits, too.”

I raised my hand to my cheek. I knew there was a bruise there and I probably had a black eye, too.

“So why did you beat him up?”

“He took his son away from me.”

“Wait a minute…you beat up your brother for taking away his own son? That’s fucked up.” He shook his head.

“What’s fucked up is that he had washed his hands of Jonathan, then comes to my house after not speaking to me for fifteen years, spouting his hatred and being an asshole and expected to be welcomed? I was just defending my home and family!”

“Whoa, fella! Don’t take it out on me!”

I scowled at him. “Just leave me alone.”

“Nathaniel Johnson?” A police officer walked over to the cell.

I stood up. “That’s me.”

“You’re free to go. Your bail has been posted.”

I sighed in relief. My troubles were far from over, but at least now I could face them from outside a jail cell. Ray’s father was waiting for me in the station. After signing a bunch of paperwork, he drove me home.

“We’re here for you, Nate. Whatever you need, all you have to do is ask.” He squeezed my shoulder briefly.

“Thanks. That means a lot to me.”

“I have a friend who’s a lawyer. I filled him in on what happened and he’s willing to take Jonathan’s case.”

“I appreciate that. I guess saving for a house was good for something. At least I have money to pay the lawyer.”

“Don’t worry about the money. I’ll help out in whatever way I can, but George said he’s going to represent Jonathan pro-bono.”

“Wow…that’s great!”

Ray’s father stopped the car in front of my apartment. “I mean it, Nate. Jonathan’s a special boy and you already know how we feel about you. Whatever you need…it’s yours.”

I embraced him silently, nodding. I didn’t trust myself to speak.

I entered the apartment and Ray’s mother immediately walked up to me, swatting me on the arm. “What on earth were you thinking?”

I cringed. “I’m sorry ma, but he deserved it.”

“He may have deserved it, but you need to think of Jonathan! This isn’t going to help your custody case!”

She embraced me, then held me at arm’s length. “Behave yourself from now on. That boy needs you now more than ever.” She kissed my cheek and left.

Ray was still in bed, so I headed to our bedroom. I needed his comfort desperately. He was sleeping so I stripped down to my boxers and slid into bed next to him. He stretched and looked at me blearily.

“Hey...so dad managed to spring you, huh?”

I nodded as I wrapped my arms around him, burrowing into his chest. I tried to hold back, but the pain and frustration of the past twenty-four hours came out in a series of choking gasps as I dissolved into sobs. Ray wrapped his arms around me, holding me tight and rubbing circles on my back.

“It’ll be ok. Dad told me George is going to help you guys. He’s great and I’m sure he’ll do a good job.”

“He made an appointment for this afternoon. I’m going to meet with him and my lawyer. Hopefully they’ll have some answers for us.”

“I wish I could go with you.”

“I do, too. But you need to concentrate on getting better. I need you, Ray. I love you so much. Please know that I want us to work. I don’t want you to leave me because I’m fighting for Jonathan. I can take care of you, too. I promise.”

“Shh…I understand, Nate. I’m not going anywhere. Now I bet you didn’t get much sleep last night. Why don’t you take a nap before your appointment?”

I nodded. It felt so nice to be in Ray arms. I missed him terribly while he had been staying at his parents. I fell asleep almost immediately.

*****

“I think we have a good case to terminate Mr. and Mrs. Johnson’s parental rights based on the tape that Mr. Barrett played for me and Jonathan’s wishes,” said George.

I sighed in relief. “That’s great news. So Jonathan would be able to stay with me and Ray?”

“We would prefer that this not go to court. We are working on scheduling a meeting with the Johnsons and their lawyer. I’m guessing they would prefer to not have that tape or their plans for Jonathan made public.”

“We’re hoping that once he realizes we recorded the initial conversation we had with him, including all the homophobic slurs, that he will agree to the custody arrangement that’s already been proposed,” said my lawyer.

“Is there any way we can get him emancipated? I don’t care about the child support payments. I just want Jonathan safe with me and Ray.”

“We’ll have to go to court for that. I think our best bet is to get a custody agreement in place first, then see what we can do about terminating the Johnson’s parental rights.”

“I’ll pull every favor I have in family court to make sure we get a judge who’ll be sympathetic to Jonathan’s plight. There’s enough evidence out there against the type of facility they want to send Jonathan to that I’m hoping the judge will be appropriately outraged. Especially given his reticence to attend such a place,” said George.

My blood boiled at the mention of Brad’s plans for my nephew. He wanted to enroll him in a “pray away the gay” type facility to “cure him of his disgusting disease”. It was why the police had to physically restrain me from beating my brother into a bloody stain on the carpet and why I ended up in jail overnight. The fucker actually had the nerve to press charges.

“So what’s the next step?” I asked.

“I’ll let you know once we have a meeting scheduled and we’ll go from there,” my lawyer said.

I stood and shook his, then George’s hands. “Thank you. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this.”

George smiled and shook his head. “No thanks are necessary. It’s my pleasure. I can’t stand to see someone’s civil rights violated and this is a very egregious case.”

I nodded and drove home to Ray. I already missed Jonathan terribly.

Let the Brad bashing begin! What do you think will happen next? Will Nate be successful in removing Jonathan from his father's custody? Will the lawyers be able to stop Brad from enrolling Jonathan in one of those facilities? Is he already in one? Thanks for reading and please 'like' or, even better, leave a review. I love to hear from readers. :)
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Words fail to describe my opinion of people like Brad, so I just hope there's some unpleasantness in store for him, and that Jonathan is saved before he gets sent to one of those camps.

My big complaint is against you. :) This was way WAY too short!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/09/2015 08:18 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
Words fail to describe my opinion of people like Brad, so I just hope there's some unpleasantness in store for him, and that Jonathan is saved before he gets sent to one of those camps.

My big complaint is against you. :) This was way WAY too short!

Nate did manage to kick Brad's ass pretty good before being arrested. We'll see what else the future has in store for him. Thanks for the review!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Been crying my eyes out. This chapter made me think of one of the authors here on GA how he was treated when he came out/was outed and other young men who have mean/evil/nasty parents who think one can pray the gay away :,( Bleh ! I hope Jonathan can move in with Ray and Nate permanently - his "dad" have proven to be a real jackass ! :angry:

 

Great writing ! :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Someone like Brad should not be bashed. Idiots like your character are a dime a dozen and anyone who doubts it needs to get their head out of the sand.

Shooting and killing the asswipes on the other hand is preferable. Talk, talk, bitch, complain... that's fine but in the end it does no good. Taking action against that type of people is the way to go.

Any church or group running those camps should just be fire-bombed.

Yeah, I get a little heated when dealing with idiots.

GREAT job Val. Good twist to the prompt and to the story.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/09/2015 08:50 AM, Slytherin said:
Been crying my eyes out. This chapter made me think of one of the authors here on GA how he was treated when he came out/was outed and other young men who have mean/evil/nasty parents who think one can pray the gay away :,( Bleh ! I hope Jonathan can move in with Ray and Nate permanently - his "dad" have proven to be a real jackass ! :angry:

 

Great writing ! :hug:

I'll never understand people like Brad. Calling him a jackass is being too nice! Thanks for reading, LBO. Sorry I made you cry so much! :hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/09/2015 08:50 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Someone like Brad should not be bashed. Idiots like your character are a dime a dozen and anyone who doubts it needs to get their head out of the sand.

Shooting and killing the asswipes on the other hand is preferable. Talk, talk, bitch, complain... that's fine but in the end it does no good. Taking action against that type of people is the way to go.

Any church or group running those camps should just be fire-bombed.

Yeah, I get a little heated when dealing with idiots.

GREAT job Val. Good twist to the prompt and to the story.

Thanks, Carlos. Brad is a first class ass, but I'm a big believer in karma so we'll see what it has in store for him. I appreciate the review. Now go have a drink and lower your blood pressure. lol :hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Way to go nate. I'm glad he beat the snot out of Brad,the dude is a major douche.

Thanks for another great work of literature. I am sad though that there are places like the camp mentioned. He if my son comes to me one day and tells me " mommy I like boys" I'd probably jump for joy. His father not so much. This series just shows me even more that some people don't need to have children. He'll I'm a minister and I teach God loves everyone. I'd be an ass if I didn't plus I'm a bisexual woman at that.

Again great job. More please.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/09/2015 05:50 PM, lmoline said:
Way to go nate. I'm glad he beat the snot out of Brad,the dude is a major douche.

Thanks for another great work of literature. I am sad though that there are places like the camp mentioned. He if my son comes to me one day and tells me " mommy I like boys" I'd probably jump for joy. His father not so much. This series just shows me even more that some people don't need to have children. He'll I'm a minister and I teach God loves everyone. I'd be an ass if I didn't plus I'm a bisexual woman at that.

Again great job. More please.

Thanks for the great review, Imoline. I'm very lucky to attend an open and affirming church. I grew up in this church and they have always taught acceptance and that God and Jesus love everyone. Our current pastor is a lesbian and is wonderful. She helped me through some very difficult times.

 

Brad deserved a lot more than he got, but unfortunately with people like him it doesn't make any bit of difference, other than to make Nate feel temporarily better.

 

Thanks for reading and leaving a review! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Five chapters in and all I want is for this little family to come together. Brad is not a father, Nate needs to make his nephew his son instead. I'm hoping there is more. Guess I have to dig through your prompts now. If not I might have to design one to get you to come back to this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/17/2015 12:58 PM, comicfan said:

Five chapters in and all I want is for this little family to come together. Brad is not a father, Nate needs to make his nephew his son instead. I'm hoping there is more. Guess I have to dig through your prompts now. If not I might have to design one to get you to come back to this.

There are 6 chapters to "The Minor". I've been debating whether or not I should post it as its own story at some point. I've had quite a few requests to expand it. I wouldn't mind coming back to it at some point, but right now my focus is on The Hollow Hills. I'm glad you liked it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..