Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,693 Words
  • 1,020 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Fall - Blurred Edges Entry

The Welcome Home - 1. The Welcome Home

“It’s time for me to go. Kevin told me so.” The old man’s voice was low, and his breathing labored.

“Don’t say that, Great-Grandpa. Stay… I don’t want you to go.” The boy’s face twisted with the effort of holding back his tears.

“Ninety-three years is enough, buddy. It’s time to go be with Grampy. He needs me.”

The boy hugged his great-grandfather tightly, sobbing into his chest. “But I love you, and I’ll miss you. We need you, too.”

“Come here, Chad.” A gray-haired woman put her hand on his shoulder and drew him to her. Her face bore the weary lines caused by months of taking care of her ill, elderly father. “It’s ok. He’s made his peace, and he is ready.”

The scent of his grandmother’s perfume was usually a source of comfort to the young boy, but at that moment it smelled like betrayal to him.

“How can you just give up on him? Can’t the doctor do something?” he asked in between sobs.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart, but we’ve done all we can. It’s his time. It doesn’t mean we’re giving up or that we love him any less.”

The boy raised his tear-streaked face, pushed away from her, and ran out of the room. She looked after her grandson sadly. It would take time for him to understand the circle of life. The boy’s mother rose from the worn leather couch, and hurried after him. The grandmother turned her attention to the frail man lying in the hospital bed. She was grateful to have hospice services and the support of family that allowed him to remain in his home during his final days.

“Dad, what do you mean Kevin told you so?”

“He visited me last night and told me. It’s my time. He has a surprise waiting for me. I miss him so much. I just want to see him again and not feel any more pain.”

She took his gnarled hand in hers, and nodded. Tears fell down her face as she remembered the love her fathers shared. They were together for over sixty years before Kevin passed away. In the two years since his death, her father’s health had declined steadily. As much as she would miss him, she hoped they were about to reunite and his pain would be over soon.

The house he had shared with Kevin was full of loving family members who came to say their goodbyes, and provide each other with support and memories. The next day he slipped into a coma, muttering about Joey and Kevin and God.

“Mom, who’s Joey?” His daughter asked.

Her mother’s face relaxed into a smile, her wrinkles seeming to fade. “Joey was your father’s first love.”

The daughter’s eyes widened in surprise. “I thought Kevin was the only guy Dad ever loved.”

The elderly woman smiled wistfully and shook her head. “C’mon. Let’s get something to eat. I bet you skipped lunch again.”

The other woman made a face at her mother’s words.

“That’s what I thought. The Johnsons brought over a casserole. It just needs to be heated up. I’ll tell you about Joey while we wait.” She retrieved the pan from the refrigerator and popped it in the oven while her daughter set the table. They sat and sipped cups of tea while they waited for their meal to heat up.

“I met your father when we were in high school. He was the most handsome boy I’d ever met. He was very popular, too. All the girls were crazy over him and Joey – his best friend. I wanted your father to have eyes only for me, but after I got to know him better, it was clear where his heart lay.” She cupped her hands around the mug, drawing warmth from both the memory and the hot liquid. “I suspect they were lovers even while they were in high school, but he started dating me because that’s what was expected at the time. Then they went off to war, but only your father returned. He was a changed man. Losing Joey was like losing a part of himself. We got married and I had you. He loved you very much, and I think he loved me, too. But I knew he wasn’t happy. You were five years old when he met Kevin. We divorced a year later. They’ve always had my blessing.”

“If you knew about dad, then why did you marry him?”

“Because I wanted him to marry someone who understood. I always knew who he was, and I wanted to give him something he might not have had if he chose another path. That was you. We tried to have more children, but it wasn’t meant to be.” She sighed. “I also wanted to protect him. If he was with me, then it was easier to dispel the rumors about him.”

“I’ve always been so proud of his progressiveness. It couldn’t have been easy living so openly during those times.”

“No, it wasn’t. For me, either. It was bad enough to be divorced back then. But to be divorced because your husband was gay was beyond scandalous.”

“Is that why you never remarried?”

She laughed softly. “My dating options weren’t the greatest because of my situation, but I was ok with that. I had my daughter and my friendship with your father and Kevin. His and your love was enough for me.” She sighed longingly, and tears fell down her cheeks. “I’ll miss him terribly.”

“Me too, Mom.”

Three days later, the old man stopped breathing.

*****

“I think he’s awake.”

“Shh…let him come around on his own. This will be confusing enough for him.”

“Ok. I’ll go get some water. Maybe it will be better if he sees just you first.”

A cool breeze blew through the open-air hut, ghosting across the young man’s face, stirring him from his slumber. He opened his eyes and beheld the man sitting next to him. His eyes opened in surprise and a big grin spread across his face. He sat up and swung his legs easily over the side of the bed. “Kevin?”

“Take it easy, Frank. It takes a little getting used to.”

“You look so young. Like when we first met. I’ll never forget the way our eyes met across that crowded ballroom. I knew immediately you were the one for me. I thought you looked so beautiful dressed in that suit.”

Kevin laughed. “What have I told you about calling me beautiful?”

Frank grinned. “Ok, then. You looked so handsome.” He placed his hand on his lover’s cheek, gently caressing it with his thumb. “You still do.”

Kevin closed his eyes, reveling in the feel he had missed for so long.

Frank looked around the small wooden structure. There were no walls to obstruct his view of the small stand of white and pink flowering trees surrounding him. The sky was a brilliant blue dotted with giant puffy clouds. A cool breeze drifted through, bringing the scent of Old Spice with it – Kevin’s favorite cologne. “Where am I?” His eyes widened. “Am I…?”

Kevin nodded. “Heaven, the afterlife, nirvana, whatever you want to call it; we’re here.”

Frank opened his arms and Kevin flew into them. He realized that now he truly was home. The two old lovers embraced, tears falling onto each other’s arms as they caressed each other’s backs. Frank pulled back slightly and kissed Kevin, pouring all the heartache of the two years since he’d been gone into his lips. They sat in each other’s arms for several minutes before Frank remembered something. “You visited me, didn’t you? You told me you had a surprise.”

Kevin’s deep laugh vibrated throughout every fiber of Frank’s being. He had missed that laugh so much. “You always did like surprises.”

Kevin sat back and nodded toward the door. An auburn-haired young man stood in the doorway, tears streaming down his face as he watched the two old lovers reunite. Frank’s jaw dropped and he stood slowly, approaching the youth with wonder. “Joey?” he whispered.

The young man nodded and opened his arms. Frank embraced him tightly, sobbing into his chest. “I didn’t want to leave you there. It tore a piece of my soul when I had to walk away from you that day.”

Joey nodded. “I know. It’s ok, Frank. You had to leave. I was already gone. You needed to save yourself and the other men.”

Frank looked at Kevin. “This man is a hero, you know.”

Kevin nodded. “I’m not surprised.”

“He saved the lives of our whole platoon. He was the only one who heard the Germans approaching. He shoved me out of the way, and took the bullet meant for me. It gave us the time we needed to escape.” He paused and looked into Joey’s emerald green eyes. “They had to drag me away. I wanted to bring you with us…give you a proper burial. Can you ever forgive me?”

“Sweetheart…there’s nothing to forgive.” Joey guided Frank to the bed and sat next to him. They held hands the entire time.

“I missed you so much. Going home without you was so hard. I married Claire, you know. We had a daughter before I met Kevin…” he trailed off and looked between the two men he loved. “So you’ve met Kevin.”

Joey and Kevin looked at each other and smiled. “Yeah. I met him shortly after he arrived here.”

“So what now? I’ve always wondered what would happen if I met you both here. I love each of you with all my heart, as impossible as that may seem.”

Kevin laughed and sat on the other side of Frank. He took his other hand in his. “It’s not impossible. This is a place of love. I fell in love with Joey through his love for you.”

Joey nodded. “I’m so proud of the man you’ve become. I love Kevin for making you so happy.”

The three men embraced, trading soft kisses and caresses, before venturing outside of the hut so Frank could see his new home.

Cole's input was invaluable for this piece. A huge thank-you to him for thinking of the title, too. ;) I am so lucky to have such an amazing beta reader. Thanks, Cole! :hug: Thanks to everyone for reading. Reviews and 'like's are always appreciated. :)
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Fall - Blurred Edges Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The beginning had me in tears all over again! Even though I knew it was a HEA (so to speak), for the family Frank left behind, it wasn't.

 

It was beautiful how Frank was reunited with his two loves, and how Joey and Kevin fell for each other while waiting for Frank to join them.

 

Great story, Val! :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/11/2015 02:18 AM, Lisa said:

The beginning had me in tears all over again! Even though I knew it was a HEA (so to speak), for the family Frank left behind, it wasn't.

 

It was beautiful how Frank was reunited with his two loves, and how Joey and Kevin fell for each other while waiting for Frank to join them.

 

Great story, Val! :)

Thanks Lisa, and thanks so much for editing it for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You made me cry, Val. The pain of the family left behind, against the joy of being reunited with Frank's lost loves had me leaking both kinds of tears. As we get closer to our own mortality, many scenarios cross our minds. I like your version of the hereafter. Despite the pain, you held onto a sweetness throughout the story. Well done, Val... thanks and cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/11/2015 04:07 AM, Headstall said:

You made me cry, Val. The pain of the family left behind, against the joy of being reunited with Frank's lost loves had me leaking both kinds of tears. As we get closer to our own mortality, many scenarios cross our minds. I like your version of the hereafter. Despite the pain, you held onto a sweetness throughout the story. Well done, Val... thanks and cheers... Gary...

Thanks so much, Gary. I was wondering what would happen in the afterlife if someone had more than one 'love of their lives'. Frank lived a good life and deserved to be reunited with both of them. I'm glad you liked my vision of their paradise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Val, a very lovely piece. Being my age, I always think about what it will be like when that time comes. Will I be reunited with family and friends, including old lovers? Will I be able to reclaim some of my youth or will I be stuck in this old shell for eternity? Even though you may not have any direct knowledge of how it works, your story gave me some hope. Let's pray that this is the way it ends. Thanks for the touching story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I agree that this was a very emotional piece to read. You came up with an amazing concept, and executed it astoundingly well.

 

Thanks for writing this and posting it; you've made my day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/11/2015 11:46 AM, AC Benus said:

I agree that this was a very emotional piece to read. You came up with an amazing concept, and executed it astoundingly well.

 

Thanks for writing this and posting it; you've made my day.

Awww...your review made my day. :hug: Thanks so much. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/11/2015 10:25 AM, Bill W said:

Val, a very lovely piece. Being my age, I always think about what it will be like when that time comes. Will I be reunited with family and friends, including old lovers? Will I be able to reclaim some of my youth or will I be stuck in this old shell for eternity? Even though you may not have any direct knowledge of how it works, your story gave me some hope. Let's pray that this is the way it ends. Thanks for the touching story.

Thanks for a great review, Bill. I'd like to think this is what awaits us when the time comes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

A very moving story. There was a show on TV this summer called Proof, which while not particularly good, the storylines were food for thought on this very concept.
I like to believe it's like you showed so wonderfully here. When we get to wherever that place is, we will be embraced with that never ending, perfect love.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I've always strongly believed that love finds a way. When the time comes you will be surrounded by those you love who went before you. All the people and all the pets. It is nice to know I am not the only one who thinks that way. Beautiful story with some very strong emotions in it. Great job, Val.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/11/2015 12:11 PM, Defiance19 said:

A very moving story. There was a show on TV this summer called Proof, which while not particularly good, the storylines were food for thought on this very concept.

I like to believe it's like you showed so wonderfully here. When we get to wherever that place is, we will be embraced with that never ending, perfect love.

I've never heard of that show. I'll have to check it out. I'd like to think that one day we'll be reunited with those that have passed. Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/11/2015 02:41 PM, comicfan said:

I've always strongly believed that love finds a way. When the time comes you will be surrounded by those you love who went before you. All the people and all the pets. It is nice to know I am not the only one who thinks that way. Beautiful story with some very strong emotions in it. Great job, Val.

Thanks, Wayne. :hug: I'm glad you liked it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/12/2015 12:05 AM, Cole Matthews said:

What a nice shout out!!! thanks Val! It's such a lovely story with great heart. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks for all your help. You push me to better myself as a writer, and I really appreciate it. :hug: Thanks for the review. I'm glad you liked it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thinking, if you have to let someone pass, he/she will meet their deeply missed lover(s) and or family members and eventual you again, can be a great solace. A wonderful piece, Val. You made me cry because I was sad, then because I was happy. Thank you, for sharing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

*sniff* awww, that was so moving,a mix of the sadness of his death with the joy of being reunited with both his loves. Bravo :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/12/2015 03:29 AM, aditus said:

Thinking, if you have to let someone pass, he/she will meet their deeply missed lover(s) and or family members and eventual you again, can be a great solace. A wonderful piece, Val. You made me cry because I was sad, then because I was happy. Thank you, for sharing.

So sorry for the late reply, Addy. Somehow I missed replying to a bunch of my antho reviews. I'm glad my story touched you so much. I'd like to think this is what the afterlife is like. Thanks for the review. :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/12/2015 02:02 PM, craftingmom said:

*sniff* awww, that was so moving,a mix of the sadness of his death with the joy of being reunited with both his loves. Bravo :)

Thanks for the review, CM. I'm so sorry for the late reply. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..