Jump to content
    vanalas
  • Author
  • 14,245 Words
  • 1,301 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Comments, critiques and tips are warmly welcome!

Game of Love - 7. Chapter 7: Eric returns home. Is he still the same boy?

Thanks guys for your comments and love. Now i know you guys are following and i promise to update regularly. Thanks a lot.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” The man hollered. “Let us all welcome with a big round of applause, Mr. Eric Hernandez!”

Everyone started clapping loudly and happily including members of the VIP.

The gate opened and a handsome, really beautiful young man emerged with a smile on his face. At the same time, red confetti started falling on the stage.

Sergio was clapping happily and excitedly with the brightest smile on his face. But suddenly, the smile that was on his face slowly started fading. His claps became weak until he eventually stopped. He went frozen and couldn’t even move. He couldn’t even blink.

He watched in shock as Eric walked to the front and stood there, smiling brightly while moving his face to look at the happy crowd. He was indeed beautiful and the red confetti falling on him made him look like an angel. After years of searching, years of praying, Sergio had finally gotten to see the boy that rocked his heart but he was scared shitless and he was frozen.

The way he professionally moved his head, the smile on his beautiful makeup-free face, and that beautiful unicorn rainbow Frappuccino hair gorgeously tied so that his beautiful face was visible to everyone. Sergio was still shocked and he was no longer smiling. Everyone was up, clapping happily except for Giada and her family and of course, Sergio.

The models came to Eric and they held, hands, slowly bowing to the crowd. A huge bouquet was given to Eric and it just made him look more angelic. After all, he was a flower himself.

Giada was hyperventilating, moving on the seat as it had suddenly caught fire.

“Isn’t he amazing?” The man shouted through the microphone, making everyone insane with excitement. Cameras were all over the beautiful man. “This event wouldn’t have been possible without you, Mr. Hernandez.”

Eric smiled brightly.

“There were so many places you could have been, Mr. Hernandez and there were so many things that you would have done but you decided to host this event for all these kids behind you.” The man said in a thankful voice. “And for all his efforts and valuable support, we would love to present this plaque of appreciation to Mr. Eric Hernandez.” The man said as he pointed to a very beautiful plaque.

People started cheering and whistling.

Eric was touched. “Thank you!”

“Mr. Hernandez, would you like to say a few words?”

Eric nodded and gave his flowers to one of the security people standing there. Then he took both the plaque and the microphone from the man and smiled even brighter as he looked at it.

“Thank you!” Eric hollered through the microphone. “I would love to thank everyone for coming and supporting this event. You know, when I started making designs for this collection, I was confused because I knew exactly what I wanted to design and I also knew it was time to show myself to Zelda, the city that has made me who I am today.”

People started cheering but Sergio was still looking dumb.

“But the confusion came with the way to launch this collection. But when I thought about the children of my foundation, I knew exactly what I had to do. And I must say that these children have impressed me. They’ve got a future in the fashion industry. Supporting and helping people is one of my primary goals in this life because I know exactly how it feels to struggle.

Launching this new collection at this wonderful event and seeing all these beautiful models in them has made me happy. This new collection which I have given the name, ‘Revamp’, all its proceeds will go to this foundation, helping all these beautiful models here and it will also help in educating the children that need my help!”

People were cheering again.

“Revamp is a collection that I have been working on for almost a year now. The idea came to me when I was in the darkest of times. This collection means a lot to me because it reflects sacrifice and dreams… love and loss.” He paused and chuckled softly. “This collection is very close to my heart because it reflects my story.”

Sergio felt his heart pound with Eric’s words and he felt guilt engulf suddenly.

“If there’s anything that I have learned from my struggles, it is that we can all rise from the ashes.” He announced. He sounded a bit mad and his voice rose.

Sergio was getting cold with each word that he heard from Eric. Giada was almost dead. Her heart pounded so violently that she felt like a heart attack was nearing.

“And no matter what life throws at us, we have the power to pick up the pieces and start again. We can become the person we’ve always wanted to be. ” He chuckled sexily, making some people admire him more. “And with my return to this city, I promise that you’re gonna witness a new era of fashion, unlike anything that you’ve ever seen before. May this collection serve as an inspiration to everyone. Thank you!”

Everyone started clapping harder than before and the whole place lit up. It felt warm and cozy in there but Sergio was just staring at Eric in confusion. It was only when Adrianna prodded him that he came back to reality and realized that he was sweating terribly and Adrianna was staring at him strangely. He started clapping but his hands were still on the beautiful boy.

Fuck! Five fucking years. He just wanted to go to that stage, grab him and kiss him but how could he? He didn’t have the right.

As everyone was still clapping, David got up from his seat and went to the stage. He gave Eric a tight hug and peck and held his hands sweetly. Both of them smiled at each other lovingly.

“Well, all I can say is that Liberty shoes are very lucky to have such talent.” David chuckled through the mic. “But I am even luckier for having a business partner like him.”

Giada’s heart gave the mother of all pounds and unconsciously, a tear went down her cheek. She couldn’t believe what she had just heard. Her hands trembled and she felt very weak. How was it possible?

“Thank you so much for your support everyone.”

People started clapping happily and now everyone was up, cheering and whistling. Eric had been waiting for a day he’d return to his city, the city that had previously given him pain. But as he stood there, he felt nothing but love, acceptance, and power.

Before he turned to leave the stage, he caught a glimpse of Giada who was seated like a statue with a tear on her face. He gave an evil grin before he turned and started going into the opened gate. He had come back and no one had the backbone to hurt him this time.

***

Giada entered her house slowly, walking like she didn’t have any more strength left in her. She was shaking and she had tears in her eyes. The hair on her head suddenly felt like a huge weight on her head. Her own body felt like a burden.

The only thing on her mind was Eric’s smile as he stood on that stage giving his speech. When she remembered the grin he had given her as he was leaving, she lost her entire strength and stumbled. Luckily, she balanced on the couch and breathed like she was in labor.

She furiously removed her heels, holding them slowly as she looked at the floor like she was expecting something to come out of it.

‘My business partner!’

“No!” Giada screamed, throwing her heels away. “No! This cannot be. No!” She cried as she started trashing the entire place.

She threw everything that she laid her eyes on, TV remote, cushions, anything. Before a minute elapsed, the entire place was a mess. Giada’s face was wet with tears and she didn’t even bother rubbing them. She was in so much pain. Everything seemed like a terrible nightmare.

“No!” She yelled. “You cannot come back. You cannot just ruin my plans like this. No!”

Giada dropped to the floor and buried her face between her palms, screaming at the top of her voice. She couldn’t believe it was happening.

“This is a nightmare, a terrible dream.” She gripped her hair, trying to wake herself up. “This is a terrible nightmare. Wake up, Giada! Wake the fuck up! He’s not real. He can’t come back. No!”

She was making so much noise that everyone heard her. One of the maids came rushing to her. She was closer to Giada so she came to check what was wrong with her boss. She had never seen her act like that before.

“Ma’am!” The maid asked. “What’s going on? Are you…”

“Get out!” Giada screamed as she got up angrily. “Get the fuck out of my sight.”

She started pushing the maid, throwing things at her. She had to run for her life. When Giada made a quick turn, she froze there when she saw her son standing near her, staring at her. He looked really weak and vulnerable. Nothing broke Giada’s heart more than that. She couldn’t bear it. But she didn’t know what to do as well.

Trevor stood there looking defeated and hurt. A tear went down his cheek and he sniveled.

“Did you see the way he was staring at him?” He muttered. “Did you see how disorientated he became after seeing him, mother? I have never been so scared my entire life. I am afraid that…”

“No!” Giada rubbed her tears and rushed to her son. “What are you saying? Nothing is gonna happen, I promise you.”

“But mother, how can everything be alright after Eric is back?” He gasped. “You saw him back there. You saw how he’s changed. He’s no longer the Eric that we knew. He’s now really powerful and influential.”

“That won’t change anything.” Giada snarled, clenching her fists. “I promise that nothing is gonna change. He’s still the same scared little boy that he was five years ago. I am still Giada Hayes Sandoval, the same iron lady that I have always been.”

Trevor wanted to trust his mother’s words. He did but…

“How did he do it?” He muttered. “How did he manage to reach that height, mom? How did we become so blind that we didn’t even realize he was climbing that ladder? Who knows what connections he has? I wouldn’t have minded it if this was just about me but… my fiancé, mom! I have never seen Sergio look at someone the way he did. After five long years of trying to keep this relationship stable, he suddenly emerges out of nowhere and…”

“Don’t panic, my baby!” Although Giada was saying that to her son, she too was really scared. “Please, you don’t have to worry. One thing I can assure you is that that boy won’t succeed in whatever plans that he has. I’ll always be a step ahead of him and he might have changed but the game won’t change. I’m gonna have to upgrade it.”

“You need to do something, ma!” Trevor said as he held his mother’s hands. “You need to do something.”

“I promise I will. But I cannot do this alone, Trevor.” Giada said. “You need to be strong. We need to work together in this. We need to put our heads together. We’re stronger and you’re gonna have to do everything I tell you. Do you understand?”

Trevor nodded and held his mother tightly.

Giada felt a tear go down her cheek and she rubbed it.

‘You might be back, Eric but I won’t let you ruin anything for me.’ She vowed. “I will do anything to protect what’s mine and my son’s happiness. I am ready to wipe you off the surface of the earth for good if I have to. And that is a promise I will give you.’

Giada’s plans weren’t gonna be on hold. She was gonna proceed with them and she was gonna make sure that Eric wasn’t gonna be a problem. It was for his good if he stayed away.

***

Sergio suddenly entered his room and he was already heading for the bottle of whisky that was on the table. He filled a glass and emptied it all in his mouth, feeling as it passed down his throat. He didn’t care. He filled another glass and took it all at once.

‘This collection reflects my story. The idea came to me during my darkest times.’

Eric’s words were haunting him… his face was in his mind, that smile that drove him insane. Fuck! Sergio’s eyes watered and he began breathing harshly while his heart raced. It sounded like a washing machine.

‘It reflects sacrifice and dreams, love and loss. We can all rise from the ashes and put our pieces together. We can all become the person we’ve always wanted to be.’

Sergio was about to empty the third glass when suddenly, it was pushed out of the way and it fell to the floor, breaking into pieces. He remained standing there, looking like a statue, staring at the floor while trying to contain himself. He was scared.

“What the fuck is wrong with you?” Adrianna snapped as she stood in front of him, cupping his face. “You were okay when we went to the event, you were happy. But something just happened and now you’re…”

“Adrianna, I think it’s best if you leave me alone.” He said in a weak voice. “I am really tired and I need to rest.”

He was about to leave when Adrianna suddenly pulled him back, shaking her head. “And you must be a big fool to think that I would leave you.” She chuckled bitterly. “I saw you. The whole drive home, you were not yourself and now you’re acting strange. What the hell is going on? I am worried here.”

Sergio looked at his sister and he felt so much guilt. “Adrianna, please…”

“No, Sergio!” Adrianna said, gripping him harder. “Enough is enough! I won’t leave from here unless you tell me what’s going on?”

Sergio remained quiet, staring at his sister without blinking. He knew very well how stubborn she could be especially if she wanted something. In that situation, he knew she wasn’t gonna leave him alone unless he told her. But he didn’t have the courage to. He was scared.

“Sergio!”

Sergio sighed, running his fingers through his hair. “Do you really wanna know?”

“Yes!”

Sergio’s heart started pounding violently. “I know Eric… well, I knew him, five years ago to be precise. You’ve seen me looking at the phone and smiling when I am alone? Well, it’s also because of Eric. He is the reason why you’ve seen this change in me the past five years.”

Adrianna felt confused and she frowned. “The beautiful boy from the event? How?”

Sergio sighed, trying to gather his courage. “Well, we were both at the same University five years ago. He was a freshman in Industrial and I was a senior. He was the most beautiful boy I have ever seen and…”

Sergio began narrating his story to his sister and the deeper he went, the weaker he got. There were moments when he laughed and moments when he felt like crying. But he told Adrianna everything that had happened and he almost cried when he reached the part where he’d broken the boy’s heart. He told her everything up to the point where he went to stop him from leaving at the airport.

Adrianna had her mouth covered in shock. She couldn’t believe what she had just heard from her brother. She had tears in her eyes and she felt really weak.

“Adrianna…”

She moved a bit from her brother, raising her hands like he was surrendering.

“How could you?” She gasped. “I never knew you could be so despicable, Sergio!”

Sergio shook his head. “No. Adrianna, don’t say that. I was young, foolish, and stupid. I knew what I had done was wrong and I have been living with this guilt for five years, Adrianna.”

“Sergio, I knew what kind of person you were years ago, a player. But I never actually thought you’d do that to someone. You played with someone’s heart here.” She gasped. “Oh my God, I can’t believe what I am hearing from you. This is a boy that loved you so much.”

“Adrianna, please!” He got closer and took her hands. “I knew it was a mistake and I have been punished for…”

“Sergio, that boy is just my age.” She said, shaking her head. “How would you feel if someone was to toy with me like that?”

Sergio remained quiet for a second. “I would kill him without thinking twice about it.”

Adrianna was shocked by his answer. “You would kill them? Then imagine what this boy had gone through? You had… you had…” She couldn’t even say it. She was a bit mad at him.

“To be honest, Adrianna, this was all a game initially.” He said softly. “But with time, I developed really strong feelings for him. I felt something that I have never felt before. I loved Eric so much and what had happened was mostly my fault and I have no excuse for it but…”

He paused and just remained quiet with his face dropped to the floor.

Adrianna felt sad when she saw the state she was in. She held his hands sweetly, rubbing on them. When he raised his face and stared at her, he had tears in his eyes and it hurt her.

“You need to apologize to him, Sergio.” She spoke softly. “You need to make things right. What you did was very wrong and such pain takes a long time to heal and sometimes they don’t. This was a boy that was very innocent and was suffering already. You caused great suffering on him.”

“I know.” He sobbed as a stream of tears went down his cheeks. “I have been looking for him for five years now, Adrianna but now that I have seen him, I don’t dare to approach him. How will…”

“The man that has always played both the role of a big brother and a father to me can handle anything.” Adrianna smiled, caressing his cheek. “I know you’ll make things right because I trust you. You don’t need to waste any time. You need to approach him as soon as possible.”

“But…”

“I trust you,” Adrianna said with a smile. “Follow your heart.”

Sergio got emotional with his sister’s words. He pulled her into a tight hug and held her closer to himself. He needed her by his side. He felt a bit better and he was gonna follow her words. But was Eric gonna hear him out?

***

Eric and David came back to the living room smiling and looking happy. There were about three workers, a male chef, and two maids to help around. And they all looked extremely happy. Who wouldn’t? After all, they were gonna be working for the famous David Smith.

“You may leave!” David said.

The three bowed and then left the living room. Eric was impressed and couldn’t have asked for anything more. The two-story house was exactly beautiful, a dream house. It was more than a luxurious house.

It had 7 luxurious rooms, a beautiful kitchen, a gorgeous dining room, a beautiful medium-sized living room that could fit a king, and a beautiful golden staircase leading upstairs. There were beautiful pure white couches, a large TV, and anything that he could ever need in the living room and it had a huge pure white entrance door that he admired.

“Hope you like the house, Eric!” David asked, opening his arms. “It was the best I could find.”

“I love it.” Eric smiled brightly. “I am living alone so this is the best thing for me. Thank you so much, Mr. Smith.”

“There you go again.” David chuckled nervously. “You’re making me look too old. I don’t mind you calling me David.”

“We’ll see when we reach there but I’ll try.”

Both of them laughed.

“Are you sure you wanna stay here alone?” David asked with a serious face. “I have a really big house and it would be my pleasure to have you stay with me.”

“Oh no!” He shook his head. “You’ve already done so much for me, David. The last thing I want to do is invade your privacy.”

“My privacy?” David frowned. “Come on, you know me. I don’t mind…”

“I know you don’t.” He rested his hand on the man’s chest and started adjusting his necktie. “That’s why I am doing you this favor so that you can be free to bring home dates, have great nights with your buddies, and be free to do whatever you want.”

“You’re the boss.” David raised his hands like he was surrendering.

He proceeded and kissed the boy on the cheek. “Alright, I’ll leave you to settle down and rest. Remember that we have a big day tomorrow so I’ll see you.”

“Goodbye, David!”

David shook his head and left smiling. He was really happy.

As soon as he left, Eric lost the smile on his face and slowly started moving towards the staircase while looking all around. It was indeed beautiful and it made him feel so emotional. But there was something inside of him, a rage that he couldn’t quench. Seeing Giada, Trevor, Sergio, and Brice at his event had been too much for him. He had almost lost his cool while giving the speech.

He touched the cold staircase and he felt his heart give a sharp pound.

***

5 years ago

*

‘Ms. Laurel’s heart is in a critical condition.’ The doctor said with a sad sigh.

Eric felt like his world had just come crashing down. He felt guilty, sad and he couldn’t hold his tears. He started sobbing there while trying to cover his mouth. He couldn’t bear to see her suffering there. It was all his fault.

“She needs to be kept under observation here and she needs surgery before she has another attack.” He said, shocking her family.

Eric couldn’t keep quiet anymore. He began sobbing uncontrollably while staring at his mother who was staring back at him with a smile on her face. She held his hands tightly and smiled even more.

“Why are you so sad and worried, my baby?” Laurel asked. “Don’t cry anymore. You know how much I hate to see you crying. I will be fine. Nothing will happen to me. Even if death came right now, it wouldn’t take me. I would tell it to go away because my mission on this earth isn’t done. I still have a lot of things to do for you, my love.” She smiled.

“It might be paining but I will heal because I have my strength with me right here.”

‘How can you say your strength is right here when I am the cause of this, mom?’ He thought as he cried. ‘You have had two heart attacks because of me.’

“Please, prepare the surgery doctor.” A handsome man with blonde hair spoke. “Money is not a problem. I will pay any amount.”

The man was Douglas, Eric’s kind-hearted uncle and the man they’d been staying with for a few weeks since their arrival in Australia. He was tall, muscular, really handsome and one of the best lawyers in Australia. He was a single man with only one kid because his wife had died a few years back.

“I will.” The doctor said as he shook Douglas’ hands. “Please, ensure that she doesn’t stress otherwise, things are just gonna get worse.”

“Yes!”

The doctor left quickly.

“Why do you all look sad as if I am dead already?” Laurel joked, looking at the two men. “It will take more than a heart attack to kill me. I am a strong woman and I won’t give up like that.”

“Stop joking, Laurel!” Douglas said, a little bit upset. “Do you think it’s funny? Don’t joke with…. Eric!” He shouted.

But Eric was already heading out the door with his mouth covered and his face wet. He couldn’t bear to see his mother in such a condition when he had been the one that had even caused it. She didn’t deserve to suffer for what he had brought upon himself.

***

“I don’t know how long I can take care of Eric!” Laurel said with a tear rolling down her face. “I feel like I have completely failed him as a mother. I couldn’t protect him from the harsh world. I thought I could give him all he wanted but I have failed.”

Eric was standing at the door leading into Laurel’s room and it was only slightly open. He was in so much pain and he didn’t know what to do. His mother looked weak after the operation and it scared him a whole lot.

Derick, Douglas’ son who was a second-year law student was holding him tightly, rubbing on his shoulders. Derick was two years older than Eric and had shown him brotherly affection since they arrived in Australia. He was very handsome like his father, taller than Eric, and had beautiful short dark hair with blonde highlights. He was gorgeous.

“But believe me, Douglas, I wanted to be a better mother than I have been to Eric.” She sniveled. Douglas was holding her hands sweetly. “Whenever I see my son suffering, it hurts. My past haunts me and I feel like ending it all but for my son, I can’t. I know he still needs me and I have to be strong and courageous.

It’s been almost two months and his life is still in a time warp. I don’t get it. He’s refused to tell me what had happened to him that night he came home. I know that his heart was broken by a boy that he loved. I got that much from his best friend, Riya. He might pretend to be fine but he is not. What should I do for him? How can I help him get over this sorrow?

I can’t help but feel that it will take his entire life to help him recover from this pain.”

“I might not know him that well but he is a very strong boy,” Douglas reassured. “These two months you guys have been here, I have been observing him. But that’s why we’re all here. Derick and he have developed a strong brotherly bond and I know we’ll all be here to try and help him heal. I promise.”

“Thank you!” Laurel cried. “Thank you very much.”

***

“But where will you go, Eric?” Derick asked with tears in his eyes.

Eric sighed, rubbing his tears while putting clothes in his bag.

“I’ll go where mom won’t be able to see my sorrow or even feel it.” He sniveled. He couldn’t understand why his entire pain couldn’t just go away. He’d been heartbroken before, right? “Derick, seeing me like this will only make her weaker. She will never recover as long as I am with her. And I can’t bear to see her like that, worse, I don’t wanna lose her and blame myself for it later.”

“What are you saying, Eric?” Derick asked, holding his hands. “Do you think if you go away from her, she’ll heal faster?”

Eric remained quiet at the question and just dropped his eyes to the floor.

“No!” He shook his head. “I have to overcome my pain and then come back to her smiling. And when she sees me smiling, I believe she’ll feel better.”

“Eric, this is wrong and you know it,” Derick muttered. “Besides, how will you be able to handle everything alone? We’re all here for you, please, don’t leave. Where will you go?”

Eric continued packing while trying his best to fight his tears. “I have already applied for a course in Industrial Design at a University in the capital. They’ve already accepted me and since I already did 90% of the first-year back home, I just have to write the final year exams with them and proceed to the second year. After two more years, I will be able to get an internship and after that, a job.

I will be able to make a fresh start for myself and it will be better for all of us. I will miss you because I have found a brother that I have been wishing for in such a short time. But you can come to visit me.”

Derrick couldn’t hold his tears. He gripped Eric into a tight hug, sobbing. Eric too couldn’t contain himself. It was gonna be hard but he was gonna try for the sake of his mother.

***

Present-day

*

Eric opened the door to his bedroom and he began scanning the entire room. It was really beautiful, just the way he loved it. It had a huge queen-sized bed, really beautiful paintings of nature and fashion on the wall and the wall was really beautiful. The room was big and luxurious but he wasn’t interested in that.

Tears had welled up in his eyes and he was in so much pain. He couldn’t believe he would feel that way after five long years of being away from everything.

He slowly walked to the beautiful window, moved the beautiful curtains, and opened the window widely. He went to the balcony and was welcomed by a cool wind but it didn’t bother him. He sat slowly on the chair there just as he noticed the beautiful sky and a shooting star. It brought nothing but pain again. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

***

5 years ago

*

“Mommy,” Eric chuckled happily. “I am really fine, mommy. I just came from checking my results and I passed all my courses. I can proceed to the second year without any problems.”

‘That’s fine, my baby.’ Laurel said on the other end. ‘I did not doubt that you’d make it. I have always been proud of you. But I miss you a lot, my love.’

“I miss you too, mommy.” Eric sighed. “But you have to promise that you’ll take care of yourself. I don’t want to be worried here.”

‘I promise!’ Laurel chuckled on the other end. ‘Please, come back home soon. I’ll make your favorite meal.’

“Alright, mommy. I’ll see and then I’ll tell you if I won’t be too busy. Sorry, I gotta go now.”

‘Okay!’

Eric cut the call and then started walking towards the beautiful lake which was located near his new school. He’d found that place after arriving in school while exploring. It was really beautiful and quiet so he always came there whenever he wanted to be alone and just concentrate on his sketches. His sorrows hadn’t melted away and he also noticed that he’d made a lot of sketches during his bad times and they all looked really beautiful.

Eric put his bag on the ground near a tree and then sat down and took out his sketch pad. He was about to start sketching when suddenly, his eye caught something, something that scared him big time. He quickly stood, rubbed his eyes but he still could see it.

“Oh my God!” He gasped. “Hey! Sir!” He screamed.

But nothing was working. There was a man who was going deep in the lake faster. Water had already reached his shoulders and he just kept ongoing. Fuck! Eric got scared and confused. He didn’t know what was going on but he was sure the man wanted to commit suicide.

He quickly threw his pad and phone on the ground and started running towards the beautiful lake. By the time his feet touched the water, the water had already covered the man. He couldn’t see him. He’d never felt as scared as he was and the man was a really bit further away from him.

Eric dived in the water and started swimming like a fish in the water. He’d never swam as fast as he did that time. He swam and swam but couldn’t see the man. He came to the surface for air but couldn’t see the man. Then he decided to go deeper into the water and saw the man’s body floating deeper under. Eric swam even deeper and reached the man. He wrapped his arms around him and swam with him to the surface.

He held him tighter, trying to see if the man was still alive but he couldn’t tell. He decided to take him out of the water. It was really difficult swimming with him and he almost gave up but he finally managed to reach the shore and thanked God he did. He was super tired.

“Sir!” He called, holding the man’s hand but he was cold. “Sir, please, wake up.”

He started applying pressure on the man’s chest and water started coming out through his mouth but there was still no response.

“Sir!” He patted his cheek but he couldn’t even move.

He continued applying pressure on the chest until no more water came out. But the man was still lying lifeless there. He placed his head on the man’s chest and felt a weak heartbeat. He decided to give him mouth to mouth resuscitation and the first time he did it, the man gasped, taking in a deep breath, and then he started coughing uncontrollably, moving on the ground.

Eric felt relieved when he saw that. The man’s eyes were blood red and his skin was pale. He was quite handsome and a bit muscular. He stayed on the ground for a couple of minutes just coughing and Eric just watched him.

“Why… why did you save me?” The man said in between coughs. “Why didn’t you let me die? You shouldn’t have saved me.”

To say Eric was shocked would be an understatement.

“What? Are you saying that I should have…”

“I have nothing to live for.” The man said as he tried his best to breathe properly. “You shouldn’t have brought me back to this cruel world. I am tired of living.”

“Sir?” Eric said with tears in his eyes. “You think taking your life is gonna make things right or give you peace? You think suicide is…”

“Yes! And how’s that supposed to be your business?” The man said harshly. “I have nothing to do with you nor this life. So leave me alone and let me die in peace.”

He tried to get up but Eric pushed him back on the ground.

“What the fuck is wrong with you?” The man snapped. “Leave me the fuck alone because you don’t know what I have been through.” Tears were rolling down his cheeks. “You don’t know how it’s like to have a perfect family, people that you love, a wife, and two kids. And then one day, you just wake up and realize that they’re all gone, never coming back.” He cried like a baby, sobbing uncontrollably.

“You don’t know what’s it’s like to be a very successful man and then one day, along with your family, you start losing it all one by one. You are having debts that no matter what you do, you have no way of paying them and in the end lose your companies. Your friends, family, and your business partners all abandon you and leave you to die.

You have no fucking idea how it feels like to be dead while you’re still alive so don’t you fucking get in my way.” He said harshly. “Don’t fucking tell me what to do.”

Eric felt streams of tears going down his cheek. “So what, sir? You’re just gonna give them the pleasure of your death? That’s it?” He furiously rubbed his tears. “I may not know how all that you’ve told me feels like but I have my share of grief.” He cried.

“You may not have a perfect family right now but at least, you know how it feels to have a great family.” He sniveled. “I didn’t have the pleasure of having a perfect family. Ever since I was born, it’s been from one suffering to another. Do you know how it feels like to have a father around but yet he’s still far away, sir?

To be hated since the day you were born and to be born from a woman everyone disrespects? I have never tasted success even though my father is very rich. All I have known is pain and suffering since I was born. You had a family, probably a wife that loved you until her last breath but the man I loved, the man that I gave everything destroyed me.

He made a mockery of my love in front of the whole world and for the first time, I wished for death. My world is filled with evil and venomous people that want me dead. But I am still standing here and I am still fighting with hope that one day, those people are gonna regret ever hurting me. They’re not gonna step on me ever again.”

The man just cried without even saying anything.

“I know that what you might have gone through, sir, is very bad and it might be worse than what I have gone through but…” He paused and rested his hand on his shoulders. “…that’s not a reason to end your life. There is a reason why you’re still alive. It might be because there’s a lot of things that you still need to do, a lot of people that need your help. If you can’t live for yourself, perhaps you can live for the few people that still need you.

And besides, your family wouldn’t want to see you like this. They would want to see you alive and strong.” He chuckled. “There’s a saying, ‘what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger, sir. Derive strength from everything that you’ve gone through and build yourself again, rise from these ashes. But if you still want to end your life, I won’t stop you, sir!”

He got up and started leaving but…

“And oh, please, don’t let anyone define you, sir. Always focus on who you are and what you can do.”

With those words, he walked away, leaving the man crying there like a baby.

***

2 days later.

*

Eric was seated on his usual spot at the lake, busy sketching a really beautiful shoe design that had just come to his mind that morning. He was happy with it and he had done hundreds of sketches. His first pad was full and the one he was using was almost halfway done.

Suddenly, he heard someone clear their voice and he quickly raised his face to get a great surprise. A smile popped up on his face as he stared at the man standing in front of him with a smile on his face.

“You!”

The man was dressed smartly in a black t-shirt that was tucked in a blue jean with pretty blue shoes. He was looking handsome.

“Hi!” The man said as he took a seat beside Eric. “Sorry, my name is David Smith and I own… or used to own the biggest shoe company in Australia before everything came crashing down. I never got your name, my good man.”

Eric chuckled. “It’s Eric, sir!”

That was also when Eric took a good look at the man. He looked familiar like he’d seen him somewhere before but he couldn’t put his finger on it.

“I came to thank you for saving my life the other day and giving me that advice.” He smiled. “Thank you so much. You gave me some wonderful advice and now I look at life differently.”

“Well, we thank God for that.” Eric sighed. “I am just happy I arrived at the time I did.”

“It was indeed him because I thought no one comes here.”

“Well, I just moved here from Zelda and…”

“Zelda?” David gasped. “That’s my country of origin. I used to be a governor in Zelda city almost two decades ago.”

“Oh! That’s where I saw you.” Eric gasped, a smile popping up his face. “You’re the legendary governor David. It’s an honor, sir!” He slightly bowed. “I am happy to be in the presence of a legend.”

“Oh come on,” The man threw his hand. “Don’t flatter me. That was long ago, back then when I used to be rich and hard a family.” He gave a gloomy sigh. He was sad again.

Eric looked at the man and felt so sorry for him. “What happened? I mean, if you don’t mind talking about it.”

“Why wouldn’t I? You’re my savior.” The man laughed. “Anyway, four years ago, I used to be rich and I had a perfect family, a loving wife and two lovely kids. We were going on a vacation to the Philippines when the plane crashed. I survived by a miracle but my family died on the spot.”

Eric covered his mouth in shock. “Oh my God, I am truly sorry for that. I had no idea.”

“It’s fine!” David chuckled. “Though I survived, I was in a coma for almost a year. When I eventually got out of it, I realized the sad truth about my family and also came face to face with the changing world around me. My business partner whom I trusted, had somehow managed to fake the documents and stole the biggest company I had. I couldn’t recover it because I failed to prove that the signature was fake. My other remaining companies were gotten from me by banks I owed loans.”

He was becoming emotional again. He took out his handkerchief and rubbed his tears.

“I remained with a minor company that I have been trying to revive for almost two years now but nothing is happening. My life has gotten from bad to worse and I am on the verge of losing that company as well. I couldn’t handle the pressure my life’s been in so I decided to end my life.”

“I am truly sorry for that, Mr. David!” Eric apologized. “No one deserves to go through that.”

“Yeah but you too, Eric!” David asked. “How old are you?”

“I am 17.” He said with a shy smile. “I will be turning 18 in a few months.”

“Wow!” David was surprised. “And you have been going through what you told me the other day? I admire your courage and strength. I am impressed. You, young man, will grow up to become a big fish one day.”

Eric smiled brightly. “Thanks…”

***

“What the hell is this?” A man yelled, furiously getting up from the chair. “Is this what you want me to use? Do you think the money I paid you is a joke?”

“Sir, please…” David got up from the chair, putting his hands together. “…just go through and you may find something…”

“That’s trash, all trash!” The man threw the papers containing sketches to the floor. “Rubbish! I have given you so many chances and now, I am fed up.”

They were in a restaurant and everyone was now watching them. The man was David’s client with whom he had a contract.

“Just give me…”

“No wonder your companies crushed.” The man said harshly. “You suck at business and I don’t blame all your business partners that left you, Mr. Smith. Who would want to stay?”

David had his eyes dropped to the floor. He couldn’t say anything or even respond. The man was right. Who was he kidding?

“And if I don’t get back my money, all of it, I will sue you.” He warned. “I am going to seize this company, your house, and throw you into the streets. I’ll be the one to end your business career. Good day!”

“Wait!” Came a voice that sounded familiar.

David quickly looked in the direction of the voice and found Eric rushing towards them. He just stood still, wondering what Eric was doing there and why he told the man to wait.

Eric walked to the man that seemed mad and then stood still. He saw all the papers of the designs on the floor and he quickly reached through his bag and took out his sketch pad. He took out about three different designs and placed them on the table.

“Here you go, sir!” He said. “These are the designs.”

The man looked at the designs and his eyes almost popped out of his socket. “Wow!” He abruptly took the sketches and started smiling. “Wow! I am so impressed. These are great sketches. I want these.”

He looked at David who was just standing there looking lost. “Why have you been hiding these kinds of designs from us, Mr. Smith? These are amazing and I want them. All three of them. I am ready to add millions to the contract if you produce such designs.”

David stared at Eric and just didn’t know what to say. Eric was just standing there with a smile. His designs hadn’t been rejected before.

“And who is this young man here?”

David sighed. “The designer.” He said simply. “And my business partner.”

“Well, congratulations, Mr. Smith!” The man shook his hand powerfully. “I will schedule a meeting with you tomorrow. We’ll discuss this and do bring more designs. I will come with friends.”

“You got it,” Eric said softly.

The man left happily. Eric smiled and just looked at the man that had tears in his eyes.

“Why?” He muttered. “Why are you doing this, Eric?”

Eric smiled. “Because you deserve it all, Mr. Smith.” He said softly. “I will give you my sketch pad and then you can show them to the clients tomorrow.”

“No!” He shook his head. “I will not show them but you will, Eric. You deserve all the credit for this.”

“But sir…”

David extended his hand. “Welcome on board, Eric! Congratulations, you’re now the business partner of David Smith of Smith shoes.”

Eric was shocked. He just stood right there without even moving an inch. He couldn’t even blink. He felt like he was dreaming.

“Are you… offering me a job, sir?”

“No!” David shook his head. “I am offering you a partnership. I won’t use your designs unless you agree to this.”

A tear went down Eric’s cheek. “Sir…”

David took Eric’s hand and shook it powerfully. “To us and our success, Eric. Welcome on board.”

***

Present-day

*

Eric was gotten out of his thoughts when he heard his phone ringing. He realized that he had tears and he quickly rubbed them before answering his phone.

“Hello, mommy!”

‘Hello, my darling.’ Laurel answered on the other end. ‘How are you doing?’

“I am fine, mommy. Just a bit tired after the event.”

‘Hmm, I just don’t want people to give you trouble there.’ Laurel said with a sigh. ‘Please, take care of yourself for me. If I had my way, I wouldn’t have allowed you to go back there, a city that caused you nothing but pain.’

“Ma!” He chuckled. “I can’t hide away forever. You know that our branch here also needs our presence. I will handle myself just fine. You take care of yourself and also kiss Lily for me, okay?”

Laurel chuckled on the other end. ‘I will do that. And Douglas says hello.’

“Tell him that he shouldn’t worry. I am fine! I am a strong boy.”

‘I know you are, Eric and that’s why I am worried.’ Laurel sighed. ‘Take good care of yourself and stay away from bad people. Don’t forget to call if you need anything.’

“Alright, mommy.”

He cut the call and felt his heart begin to race. Looking towards the sky, he could already feel that there was just a whole lot of difference in the way he felt back in Australia and the way he felt at that particular time. He was indeed home.

‘Last time I was here, I knew nothing but pain.’ He thought. ‘Everybody used to treat me like trash like I was definitely below them. But now, the game has changed. You better be ready, Giada, I know you must be planning something against me but this time, the game has changed. I swear!’

***

Trevor entered the Alvarado mansion and he was already walking like a king, looking all around. He was wearing a beautiful blue see-through shirt with a vest inside and a black skinny jeans with white shoes on his feet. His hair was tied in a beautiful ponytail and he looked handsome.

When he reached the living room, he saw a maid passing by.

“Hey!” He called rudely. “Can you bring a glass of juice for me, really cold?”

“Yes!” She slowly bowed. “Right away, sir!”

“And while you’re it, call my fiancé and tell him that I am waiting for him downstairs.”

“Yes!”

She quickly left and Trevor proceeded to the living room, sitting like a boss with his legs on the couch. He sighed and took the TV remote but the moment he turned on the TV, he got the surprise of his life when he found a lifestyle show and there was a picture of Eric, a huge pic.

“Of course,” One of the ladies said, acting like she was flirting with the picture. “This picture is everything, model of the century if you ask me. Not only is he a great designer and co-owner of two of the biggest companies in the entire continent, but his fashion sense also is great and he is the most beautiful man I have seen in a long time.”

“Exactly my thoughts,” Another agreed, smiling brightly. “When I woke up this morning, I was like, Eric, please, just come and hold me in your arms just once. That look at the event yesterday was everything and did you guys see his hair, magical. He’s young, he’s successful, very rich, and beautiful beyond imagination. Eric, if you’re watching this, know that we’ll be inviting you pretty soon on this station and…”

Before the lady even finished her sentence, Trevor switched off the Tv and threw the remote hard on the floor, groaning and breathing like he was about to explode. He was super mad.

“Hey!” Came an angry voice. “This is not your house where you think you can do whatever you want.”

Trevor raised his face and stared at Riya who was staring back at him with a stern face. “I am sorry, I was just angry. That’s all.”

“Why wouldn’t you be?” Riya chuckled, getting the remote from the floor and switched the TV back on, the same channel. She sat carefully on the couch with a smile. “Wow! Isn’t he to die for? Just look at him, really sexy, smart and his sense of fashion is out of this world.”

Trevor clenched hard on the couch, trying to keep his cool but he was finding it difficult.

“Now, that’s the kind of man that anyone would love to have. Don’t you think so, Trev?”

Trev furiously got up and started heading towards the staircase. There was no fucking way he was gonna continue sitting there because he was gonna make a big mistake. Adrianna was getting on his fucking nerves.

“If you’re looking for my brother then you’re wasting your time going up there,” Adrianna announced with a chuckle. “He isn’t here? He left early in the morning.”

Trev quickly turned and gasped. “What?” He glanced at his watch. “But it is only 7.30 in the morning. Where would he go so early?”

“You’re here early,” Adrianna said with a mocking smile. “Is he not allowed to go wherever he wants to go without your permission?”

“We were supposed to see the wedding designer together this morning.” Trev’s heart was racing. “I don’t understand why he’d leave like that. This was so important.”

Trev took out his phone and dialed his fiancé’s line but to his surprise, he wouldn’t even take it. It just rang and cut on its own which had never happened before. He tried again but still the same thing. Trev just stood like a statue, staring at his phone, expecting Sergio to call him back.

“When a man is after his heart, not even the devil can stop him,” Adrianna announced, staring at Trev with mockery on her face. “If I were you, Trev, I wouldn’t get in the way.”

Trev clenched his fists, groaned, and stormed out of there like a mad man, cursing softly at Adrianna. As he left, he could hear Adrianna’s laughs and they just made him super mad.

“Just wait and see Trev.” She laughed, rubbing sexily on her temple. “If my brother succeeds in his plans and eventually gets back together with Eric, your love story will disappear just like…” She snapped her fingers. “…that. Then we’re gonna see what you’re gonna do about it. I pray Eric becomes the son in law of this house.”

***

Eric was looking around his office with a brilliant smile on his face. It was really beautiful and advanced, made up of glass. He loved it and everything was brand new. The beautiful white couches, the beautiful golden brown table, and a comfy chair. His table was organized and there were beautiful curtains. The office was situated on the top floor and the view of the city was amazing.

Eric was wearing a pure white see-through shirt with a white vest inside that was almost transparent itself and a black skinny trouser that showed off his gorgeous sexy curves and white shoes on his feet. He was looking really beautiful with his hair now in a unique two parted ponytail, looking bright and amazing.

“Do you like it?”

“I love it.” Eric smiled. “It’s really beautiful.”

“Well, I don’t know about you but I do love the view,” David said as he walked towards the window, placing a button on the remote. The curtains opened wide. “It’s almost peaceful.”

“You’re right about that, Mr. Smith.” He chuckled happily. “There’s just something about this city that just gives you peace, you know. You can already feel like you’re home.”

“Yeah, anyway,” He sighed. “Your assistant will be in tomorrow and while she’s not here yet, I have to inform you that we have a load of meetings today. The launch of the new collection last night has brought us a lot of companies asking for meetings. But that’s up to you.”

“Sure!” Eric smiled.

“And tomorrow, you have a photoshoot with a lifestyle magazine.” He smiled brightly. “They’ve sent us like a zillion emails pleading for a moment with you. I also think it’s a wonderful idea. It’s about time you took your rightful place in this city.”

“Sure!” Eric nodded. “Anything for this city.” And of course, to show people that he’d arrived and the king was finally back in the city.

“Anyway, shall we?”

Eric nodded and the both of them got out of the office. The moment they stepped outside the building, there was a whole mob of reporters and cameramen who came running towards them as they went to their car like they were going insane.

“Sir, sir, please can we have a moment with you?” They all shouted. “It will only take a moment sir.”

The security men were doing their best to keep them away. They were muscular men and no one dared come near.

“Mr. Hernandez, please, just a few minutes.” They pleaded. “Even a minute will be fine.”

Eric gestured to the security men and they allowed the reporters to pass. In just a mere few seconds, he was surrounded. Cameras were all over him and microphones too.

“Mr. Hernandez, first of all, we’d like to thank you for this wonderful opportunity.” One of the reporters said. “And my first question is, what are your plans for this city now that you’ve returned?”

“A lot!” Eric answered with a serious face. “Like I said last night, we’re now in the new era. I will bring change to the fashion industry to this city and I will not give anyone any reason to complain. I was born here and so I am a product of this country and this city. I have a duty to my people here and in fulfilling this duty, I’ll not let anyone stand in my way.”

“Wow! That’s wonderful, Mr. Hernandez.” Another one said. “And what do you have to say about the people that are gonna try to compete with you?”

“I am not scared.” He said with a cute smile. “I know myself, I trust in my abilities and I know where I am coming from. Five years ago, our company was not even known but now it’s the biggest on the entire continent. As long as I have my business partner with me, I know that I can handle anything.”

“How is life being a celebrity?”

“I do not consider myself a celebrity,” Eric answered confidently. “I am open to associating with anyone because before being a businessman, I am a human being.”

“Who is your greatest inspiration?”

“My mother!” He said with the brightest smile. “She is the reason why I am even here.”

“How would someone get your special attention?”

“Are you single?”

“Would you date any of our celebrities in Zelda?”

The questions were getting personal and Eric didn’t wanna answer any of them. Luckily, David came to his rescue.

“I am sorry but we’re running late.” He said as he gestured for the guards to keep the reporters away. “You can schedule an interview with Mr. Hernandez and all the answers to your questions will be answered. Thank you.”

Eric whispered a thank you to Mr. Smith and the both of them went to their car and drove off. They had a really important meeting waiting for them and they couldn’t keep the clients waiting for so long.

*

Meanwhile, here was Antonio, a distance away from where Eric had been, watching the whole thing. He was already at the company premises and thanks to his super tinted car, no one could see him. His heart was racing terribly and he was so scared. He had wanted to get out of that car and go to Eric. But his confidence had melted away and he couldn’t do it.

He just watched from his car as Eric was surrounded by the reporters and he looked so beautiful, so gorgeous and Sergio had felt his hormones rise. Shit, if only he could hold him in his arms, kiss him again and tell him how much he loved him. But he didn’t dare to do that.

‘Fuck!’ He muttered. “How am I supposed to get close to you when I am so scared, Eric? Lord, please, show me a way out of this. Give me strength.”

He opened his eyes and saw Eric getting into the car and drove off. Sergio started his car and left too. Perhaps, another time.

***

Sergio got out of his car, locking it behind him. He was feeling really tired and needed a hot shower to massage his body. It was already afternoon and he was a bit hungry though didn’t feel like eating. He had no idea what the hell was wrong with him.

As he was heading towards the entrance to his house, his phone began ringing and he quickly picked it. It was his assistant.

“Hello, Jenny!”

‘Sir, are you still coming?’ She asked worriedly. ‘The clients have been waiting for over two hours. They’re getting impatient.’

“Shit!” He swore, covering his mouth. “That was today? Why didn’t you inform me?”

‘I did, sir!’ She sighed. ‘But you told me you already knew about it. I even called you and you didn’t answer my call so I thought…’

“Do me a favor, Jenny!” He gave a gloomy sigh, gripping his hair. “Please, apologize to them on my behalf and tell them that I’ll follow them to their company first thing tomorrow morning.”

‘Yes, sir!’ She said with a sigh. ‘You know I have your back always.’

“Thanks.” He smiled.

Sergio couldn’t believe he’d forgotten such an important meeting. How could he? That was the second time he was gonna reschedule the meeting. What the fuck was wrong with him, he thought as he rubbed his face? Eric had him under his grip.

“Fuck!” He muttered.

As he was nearing the entrance, he almost bumped into Trevor who was rushing outside looking mad. When he saw him, both of them just stood there without saying a word to each other. They just kept on staring at each other like strangers.

“Where are you coming from?” Trevor sneered, breathing like he was in labor.

“What do you mean, Trev? I am coming from the office.”

“You’re lying, Sergio.” Trevor snapped, pointing angrily at him. “I just came from your office and I had been waiting for you for hours but you didn’t show up.”

Sergio felt his heart race a bit. “What are you talking about?”

“You’re lying!” Trev said angrily. “I came to your office and your assistant told me you haven’t been there today so you better not lie to me, Sergio. You know how much I hate lies.”

Sergio frowned, putting his hand on Trevor’s forehead. “Are you sure you’re alright? I think…”

“Don’t take me for a fool, Sergio. Where the fuck did you go? I don’t like it when you tell lies, I hate it.”

“But…”

“Did you go to see someone else?” Trevor said with tears in his eyes, surprising Sergio. “Is there someone else?”

“Stop talking nonsense!” Sergio chuckled, shaking his head. “I am not seeing anyone. I am marrying you, remember? And I think you’re tired. I am also tired. I need a shower.”

He patted Trevor on the shoulder and started heading inside. But Trevor wasn’t gonna let things go like that. There was no way Sergio was gonna lie to him and he was gonna let it go like that.

“Sergio! What the fuck!” He furiously rushed to him and pulled his arm angrily. “Tell me the truth, damn it! Where did you go? You know that we had plans today and yet you left early when you very well knew that I was coming here.”

Sergio felt a surge of anger go through him and he felt himself losing it. He put his hands on his hips, staring at Trevor without even blinking.

“And now you’re lying to me that…”

“Stop it, Trevor!” He sighed in frustration. “I am really…”

“What?” Trevor shook his head angrily. “You think that just because you gave me an excuse, I am gonna let it go like that? Where did you go? Tell me! Where did you…”

“Stop it, Trevor!” Sergio snapped, his voice filling the entire room. “I am saying I am really tired. What part of that didn’t you understand? Who are you to monitor my movements? Are you my mother? Are you my sister or my husband?”

Tears welled up in Trevor’s eyes and he took a step back in fear. That was the first time Sergio lost his temper on him in five years. What could have triggered it, he thought as a tear rushed down his cheek?

“If you don’t have anything to do than monitor me then I suggest you go and sleep. I am done here!”

With a final look at Trevor, Sergio started rushing upstairs, leaving his boyfriend standing there trying to gather one or two of what had just happened there. He couldn’t believe it. His fiancé for the first time had just snapped on him, something that had never happened before.

‘What?’ He thought, shaking his head. ‘What just happened? This can’t be happening. Sergio has never talked to me in that manner before, not even when he was angry. What could have triggered this? Where did he go?’

He slowly rubbed his tears and was about to start leaving when he suddenly spotted Adrianna right in front of him with her arms folded, staring at him with a mocking smile on her face. She felt so much anger, so much rage, and so much hatred at that particular moment.

“Poor, poor, Trevor…” She chirped as she got closer, shaking her head. “You poor unfortunate soul.”

She put her hand on his shoulder but he shrugged it off and gave her an angry look, a warning.

“Oh my God, I am so sorry that my brother had to snap at you.” She gasped in mock astonishment, putting her hands on her chest. “I am truly sorry. But what could my brother do when you’ve pushed him to the wall enough. I think he should have given you a dirty slap instead. I mean, who do you think you are to monitor his every movement. My brother is not a slave, get it? Enough is enough!”

“Yes!” Trevor said harshly, snapping his finger on her face. “Enough is enough, Adrianna, and I think you’ve poisoned my relationship for too long. I will not…”

“Moi!” Adrianna gasped, giving fake sad eyes. “What have I done now? If I wanted you out, Trevor, you’d have been out that door and out of our lives for good. What had just happened were just my brother’s eyes opening for the first time and giving you a piece of his mind. That was just a twitch…” She put her finger on her chin, looking into the roof like she was thinking of something.

“I wonder what is going to happen once his eyes are fully open.” She gave mocking laughter.

“You can do whatever you want, Adrianna but whether you like it or not, Sergio is mine and mine alone.” He gave a wicked chuckle. “I will be coming to this house as a son in law in less than three weeks and there’s nothing you can do to stop that.”

“Why should I?” Adrianna nodded. “I’ll just let destiny take its course. And then we’ll see who’ll eventually end up becoming the son in law of this house. So if I were you, I’d enjoy it while I can. Ciao!” She waved her fingers in the air and left laughing up the stairs.

But what she didn’t know is that what she had said to Trevor had made him freeze.

‘We’ll see who’ll end becoming the son in law of this house.’

Trevor was shocked, scared, and angry. What did Adrianna mean by that? Did it mean that there was someone else or… no, it couldn’t be. It just couldn’t be. Trev clenched his fists and stormed out of the house.

***

Sergio threw his jacket angrily on the bed and then started furiously unbuttoning his shirt. His conversation with Trevor downstairs had gotten him so mad that he didn’t regret any of the words that he had said to him.

And at that time, the only picture at the back of his mind was that of Eric. He knew he needed to approach him and say something to him but how the hell was he gonna do that when he became a coward when he had gone to him earlier.

Sergio was gotten out of his thoughts when he heard the sound of his door. He didn’t need to check who it was because he knew it was Adrianna.

“Hey! How did it go?” Adrianna giggled, throwing herself on the bed like a kid. She looked happy. “Did you get a chance to talk to him?”

Sergio sighed, shaking his head. “I couldn’t.”

“What?” Adrianna rose from the bed. “Are you serious? After all that we had talked about it?”

“I know what we talked about, okay?” He was really angry. “It’s just easier said than done. I… I am scared, Adrianna. I have been searching for this boy for almost five years and now that I have found him… I am scared.”

“Of what?” Adrianna asked.

“Of what he is gonna say to me.” He said with tears building up in his eyes. “I am scared of what he is gonna do and I am scared of awakening the pain I had made him go through five years ago. I admit I love him a lot but… but I am scared of losing him.”

“But shouldn’t the love you feel for him give you strength, Sergio?” Adrianna asked, squeezing his shoulder. “You’re a very strong man, the strongest person I know.”

“This is different, Adrianna.” He shook his head. “When I saw him, I got weak. I felt like a big coward and I hid from him.”

“But…”

“I don’t know what Eric does to me, Adrianna.” He sighed, sitting on the bed with his face between his palms. “Whenever I think about him, I get so excited. Whenever I see him, I just get so scared. What if he doesn’t love me anymore? What if he doesn’t share the same feelings as I do? It’s been so long and…”

“But at least, you will be doing the right thing,” Adrianna reassured. “You will be apologizing for the pain that you had caused him five years ago. I don’t know how Eric is but I believe he is a good person and he will forgive you.”

Sergio felt a tear go down his cheek. “What if he doesn’t?”

“And when have you ever given up on something?” Adrianna smiled, cupping his cheeks. “The Sergio I know doesn’t give up on anything. You keep on going back. Show him how sorry you are and he’ll eventually forgive you. I am pretty sure he loves you too because such love like you told me just doesn’t go away like that.”

Sergio took his sister’s hands and kissed them.

“Will you support me?”

“Anything for you, baby.” She chuckled. “As long as I see a smile on your face, I am happy.”

“Whatever did I do to…”

“Don’t go there,” Adrianna warned, making Sergio laugh. “Just go and get this boy and be happy. I want you to gather your courage and see him tomorrow. That’s all.”

Sergio smiled and took his sister’s hands, pulling her closer. He held her tighter, kissing her forehead.

“Thank you so much, Adrianna.”

“Don’t mention it.”

Sergio felt a bit confidence but he was still not sure how he was gonna do it. What he had done was terrible and he won’t ever be surprised if Eric was pretty mad at him. He was probably gonna sustain some injuries but he was gonna handle it.

***

Trevor threw his phone angrily on the couch and then started moving from side to side like he was thinking of something. He was really mad. His hands trembled in anger and he felt like killing someone.

“Damn you!” He screamed. “Damn you, all of you.”

Giada came rushing to the living room, wondering what was wrong with her son. She saw him moving from side to side and she got worried.

“Baby, what’s wrong? Are you okay?”

Trevor looked at his mother and his anger just went overboard. “I swear I am gonna kill that oversized ugly Barbie doll, mom. I will kill her.”

“Oversized?” Giada muttered, a frown appearing on her face. “Barbie doll? What are you talking about?”

“I am talking about that stupid, ugly sister of Sergio, Adrianna.” He seethed, clenching his fist. “She doesn’t know what the fuck I can do.”

“Come on, Trevor. You know how Adrianna has always been.” Giada said, holding him lovingly. “You shouldn’t pay any attention to her.”

“Well, I have had it up to here.” He gestured to his neck. “Today, she got on my last nerve. How dare she suggest that Sergio is not going to marry me in less than three weeks? She warned me to enjoy my remaining moments at that mansion.”

“What?” Giada glowered. “Adrianna said that? Why?”

“It’s all Sergio’s fault,” Trevor said harshly. “Mom, I went to his house early today and…”

He started narrating his story to Giada and the deeper he went, the angrier Giada got.

“What? How did that happen? I thought you already had Sergio under your control so how did he answer like that?”

“I don’t understand, mommy!” He sighed, running his fingers through his hair. “But all I know is that Sergio lied to me. He didn’t go to that office and…” Trevor paused and his eyes widened, almost popping out of his socket. “….what if… what if he went to see him, mommy?” He held Giada’s hands tightly almost to the point of pain.

Panic surged through Giada and her heart began racing. Dread twisted in her gut and she felt her stomach clench.

“Mommy, what if that bitch is trying to steal my Sergio away from me?”

“No!” Giada shook her head. “You know we cannot allow that to happen, Trevor. Eric must never come even close to Sergio, not even an inch. We’re are not gonna allow that. Sergio is yours and yours alone. As long as I am your mother, I’ll not let you lose that man.”

“Mom, what am I going to do?” Trevor was sick with fear. His hands shook uncontrollably. “I can’t believe going through what…”

“Well, that’s not happening.” Giada chuckled bitterly. “I am pushing through with my plans. I am gonna wipe that boy off the surface of this planet, I swear. Nothing is changing and your wedding to Antonio must go through no matter what happens, do you understand, Trevor?”

Trevor nodded and then an evil grin appeared on his face when a thought hit him.

“In that case, I know exactly what I have to do.” He felt a sudden flare of joy. “I know exactly who to approach. It is my destiny to get married to Sergio and I will not let anything get in the way. By hook or by crook, I shall become his groom.”

Giada’s took a flight. “Now that’s the Trevor that I know.” She extended her hand, opening her palm. “We’ll never give up. In this fight, we’ve already won. If you’re cunning, evil, manipulative, and smart, everything will go your way.”

Trevor giggled and placed his hand on top of his mother’s palm. Then they held each other tightly with evil grins on their faces. It was gonna be a long and bumpy ride for their enemies. Mission ‘get married to Sergio’ was now active. And they were gonna move mountains just to achieve that.

***

“That’s it. Nice!” The director of the photoshoot announced. “Hold that pose! Gorgeous.”

Eric was killing his photoshoot that day, looking cute, professional, and sexy at the same time. He was wearing a beautiful white shirt which was halfway buttoned and tucked in a black designer’s tight trouser that fit him like a second skin. On his feet were the most beautiful white shoes that were designed by angels. He was holding a black red blazer over his shoulder, giving the fiercest poses ever.

“Love that!” The director shouted. “Wow, sexy!”

Eric was enjoying the comments from the director of the shoot. Everyone on set that day could see that not only did he enjoy what he was doing, but he was probably the best that they had worked with. Cameras were rolling and shuttering and the fan was blowing on him, making everything seem magical.

His beautiful hair which was now just pitch black with blue highlights was made in a lovely braided bun, revealing his face. Everyone on set couldn’t help but admire his beautiful face. He’d been doing the photoshoot for over two hours and he was a bit tired.

He’d done a lot when he was just in casual, one when he was playing with candy and this one when he was just a professional businessman with pictures of some of his designs behind him. He was truly happy and he didn’t doubt he was doing a great job.

“And that’s a wrap.” The director said.

Eric took a deep breath and smiled, getting off the set. He went to the director who had his arms wide open already and he hugged him tightly.

“Wow! I must say, Mr. Hernandez that that was a long but…” He gestured and chuckled. “…that was my most interesting shoot to direct to date. I have never had so much fun with a client before and it’s all thanks to you. I am truly grateful for having a legend like you on set.”

“Come on,” Eric threw his hand. “It’s nothing. It’s an honor to have my photoshoot with a lifestyle magazine.”

“The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Hernandez.” The director slightly bowed. “Being the first to take your photo, this is gonna be a huge deal for us. So thanks.”

“It’s fine but you’re welcome.” He patted the man on the shoulder. “Please, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and get changed. I have a really important meeting.”

“Of course,” The director said as he waved.

Eric waved at the crew and they all waved happily. He was happy too. Eric glanced at his watch and realized that he was a bit late and probably, Mr. Smith was waiting for him. He started rushing to the room where he had left his stuff and he didn’t even look where he was going. His eyes were on his phone.

Suddenly, Eric bumped into someone hard and he gasped, almost dropping his phone to the floor. He quickly rose his head to look at the person he had bumped into.

“Oh my God, I am so sorry for…”

But that was all he said when all of a sudden, he froze, a sense of coldness took over. His body felt stiff and his skin began tingling. Eric’s very hands began trembling and he felt something slowly forming inside of him, anger, rage, pain, and dread. He gripped his jacket harder, pulling on it. He didn’t even realize he was staring.

‘It’s true. I had no idea you were a virgin.’

Eric suddenly started receiving flashbacks of his painful past and he got scared. He hadn’t planned on seeing Sergio anytime soon but here he was, staring into his eyes by surprise. He didn’t know how to react.

Sergio on the other just remained standing there, staring at the boy without even blinking. God, he’d become so beautiful and his hairless face was angelic. He hadn’t changed much, just his beauty gone beyond what he’d expected.

Standing so close to Eric, Sergio felt a pulling force getting him closer to the boy. His heart pounded violently, each second bringing an even great impulse. He hadn’t expected to see Eric there so he didn’t know how to react. But one thing he knew was that he was very scared. His hand rose unconsciously and a sheepish smile popped up his face.

Eric felt like someone had just stabbed his heart. That smile on Sergio’s face brought a dull heartache that rippled through him slowly. It reminded him of all the lies. He couldn’t stay there. He just moved to the other side and started rushing out of there as nothing had happened.

Sergio didn’t even know when he turned and started following Eric behind. It was like Eric had a magnet that he was pulling him with.

Eric rushed to the room where he’d left his stuff and he was heading to his stuff when all of a sudden, he felt someone pull on his arm and turn him around. He found himself close to Sergio’s face and he quickly released his hand, moving away from the man.

“Eric!” Sergio’s voice was soft and shaky.

But Eric felt like someone had pinched his skin with needles. He tried to go away but Sergio took his hand and held it sweetly, rubbing on it. Eric felt tears welling in his eyes and he felt really weak at that moment.

‘He’s telling the truth…’ A voice rang through his head. ‘It was all a game, Eric. You’ve lost.’

He pulled his hand away quickly and started leaving but Sergio blocked him and stood in front of him, staring into his face. Sergio’s eyes were teary and he couldn’t hold it anymore. They came running down his cheeks.

“Eric, please…” He muttered. “…please.”

Eric released his hand furiously and took a step back away from the man in front of him.

“How dare you!” Eric snarled as pain sheeted through him with a terrible intensity. “How dare you show your face to me and even touch me! Who do you think you are? Who are you?”

Sergio dropped his eyes to the floor, feeling like someone had poured ice-cold water on him.

“Eric, please, hear me out…”

He tried to touch Eric but Eric moved further away.

“Please, I have been looking for you for five years now, believe me.” He put his hands together. “I swear to you that…”

“For what?” Eric snapped. “So that you can fill me with your lies again so that you can deceive me? Oh, maybe you wanna play another game, Mr. Alvarado.”

“No!” Sergio shook his head abruptly, falling to his knees. “I don’t even know what to say to you, Eric. But please, forgive me. I swear to you that I never intended what…”

“Lies!” Eric barked, a tear going down his cheek which he furiously rubbed. “Outright lies!”

Sergio felt weak. He didn’t know what to do.

“What do you want us to talk about right now, Sergio?” Eric chuckled bitterly. “Is it the lies, the pain, the deception, or the way my life changed? The person that I thought always fought my troubles, always protected me is the same person that hurt me the most.”

Sergio dropped his eyes as his face got decorated with more tears.

“What now? Why are you not facing me?” Eric carped. “Why the fuck aren’t you looking at me? I thought you wanted us to talk? I am talking already.”

He’d never felt as mad as he did at that particular time.

“You cannot look me in the eye anymore?” He chuckled bitterly. “Because you know what you did was wrong. It was horrible. I was ready to sacrifice everything for you. I was ready to start anew with you but you stabbed me right where it hurt the most.”

“Please, Eric, I can explain.” Sergio sobbed, getting up. “I can make things right. I swear to you that I didn’t feel good about what I did. I even followed you to the airport to tell you how much you mean to me and believe me, I have wanted to make…”

“Well, it’s a bit too late for that, Mr. Sergio Alvarado.” He said in between clenched teeth, angrily rubbing his tears. “That boy you had hurt, the boy who used to love you, and the boy you used and dumped like a cheap whore is no longer here. That boy died five years ago so you can take whatever you wanted to say and shove it down your throat.”

He angrily went to the chair, picked up his stuff, and started leaving. But as he was leaving, Sergio took ahold of his arm and held him tightly. He was crying like a baby.

“Please, hear me out.” Sergio wailed. “I am truly sorry for what I did. I am ready to make things right.”

Eric chuckled bitterly, glancing at the man. “Well, it’s a bit too late for that.”

He furiously released his arm and stormed out of there. But the moment he left from there, he started running away with tears in his eyes. He couldn’t believe that had just happened. Meanwhile, Sergio just remained standing there looking like a statue, staring at the door where his love had just disappeared. That had been terrible. The only things that were speaking for him were the tears running down his cheeks.

“Let’s go,” Eric ordered as soon as he entered his car.

The driver didn’t need to be told twice. He started as soon as Eric gave the order and they started leaving from the place. As they did, Eric felt terrible and depressed. He hadn’t expected to meet Sergio there and now his day was ruined.

He covered his mouth and just cried silently.

‘I was such a fool, Sergio.’ He thought. ‘You used me for your stupid bet. You took my virginity and then you disposed of me without even caring about how I felt. I won’t let you close to me ever again, Sergio. Never!’

He took out his handkerchief and started rubbing his tears.

“Driver, please, go home first.” He ordered. “Tell Mr. Smith I’ll just meet him later in the afternoon.”

The driver nodded and changed course. Eric couldn’t stop crying no matter how much he tried. It was like all the wounds that had closed were open again and he had no idea what to do.

Copyright © 2020 vanalas; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Sad 1
Thanks to everyone that took the time to read my work. I really love you all guys a lot. Don't forget to drop your comments about what you  think about my work.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Much has happened in five years, we don’t know the full extent of Laurel’s health conditions or recovery; yet we know that Eric holds her to have made the biggest impact on his life. If Giada and Travis plan their vengeance (for Eric being successful), then perhaps Sergio may get the chance to proof where is heart really is. Where the mistrust of his past may not ever win over is love, it may win his forgiveness.

Brice, Steve, and Sergio need to collectively reevaluate their lives and decide whether they really are willing to make their own decisions, with their own conscience.

I’m loving the reintroduction of the characters with the time lapsed; will they finally see beyond the manipulations?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..