Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 2,641 Words
  • 731 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love and Again - 6. Chapter 6: Simple and Simplicity

Simple and Simplicity

 

What is a Dark Age? There have been many things people call dark ages throughout human history, but can anyone explain this concept. No one truly understands the concept, because they have the perception of ignorance and primeval dread whenever the word is used.

 

After the Dorias, later known as the Dorian, completed their campaign along with allies throughout the Aegean; the old ways of civilization were shattered. Assyria rose to prominence in the region of Sumer without the Hittite's checking their advance, Anatolia would be fragmented for centuries due to sea and land invasions, Greece after the wars was drained and it's mighty cities had fallen, and Egypt was the last remaining center of ancient civilization in the region.

 

Heracles, Aeolus, and Jason would never have envisioned such chaos during their struggle, but none of the leaders had seen the oncoming storm their war unleashed. Without their leadership, their people's fragmented and fought over lands. Their generals without their courage or strength of spirit would break and declare their own reigns of succession.

 

War was not the cause of such destruction, but victory without thought was the primary truth. None expected to triumph over the overwhelming forces of the ancient world. The victory of chaos would be worse than a defeat of order. Yet, two centuries from that point, the people will develop new ideals based on the legends and histories of the land and the Great War that was fought. The inspiration for new forms of government based on equality, justice, and honor will reach the ancient city of Athens. A new appreciation for the variations of love and sexuality will also take hold of the ancient world; although, the Canaanite kingdom will grow and expand during this time of chaos through the weakness of their foes and speak of opposition to what they call sinful acts. The group will nevertheless be kept in check by memories of Heracles and others like him.

 

Empires and kingdoms built on ideals last only so long as those leaders with such ideals persist. With trade limited and the peoples separated in the two centuries long lapse, the region did not develop their intellect or create new forms of pottery. Legends, myths, and superstition took hold of the ancient histories. The great oral storyteller, Homer, will be born in this Dark Age along with others.

 

Heracles, who had held the places of great power in his lifetimes, was reborn a Minoan peasant boy named Corydon on the island of Crete. Aeolus was reborn as Demetrius, a powerful Dorian landed noble by birth. However, Demetrius was 7 years Corydon's senior by age and by custom the nobles would not share a relationship with some one of such lower rank especially a non-Dorian.

 

The island of Crete was once a center of trade and civilization onto itself, but the wars and the destruction Knossos, their strongest coastal city, by a volcanic eruption had disrupted their navy just enough for the Dorian armies under Heracles to occupy the rich island.

 

Demetrius lived a life of privilege and power; his family claimed descent from the dynastic line of Heracles, but many nobles claimed the same, except Demetrius' family had proof with the marriage bands of Heracles and Aeolus in their possession. He had countless lovers as a youth, sparking wild rumors of his promiscuity and prowess. Demetrius had not forgotten his lover from his previous lifetimes in his soul, but there are certain needs that being chaste can never satisfy and the old ways were changing. He would never be the same man as he was once, nor would he be the same man as he is now.

 

Corydon was shy and unimpressive in manners, but he had a beauty surpassing many of his friends and siblings. He also possessed a sharp tongue and protective instincts for his family and friends. As he was still a youth of 12 years in age, his chastity was more inclined rather than personally attributed.

 

Demetrius was also not beyond scandalous affairs with non-nobles; he'd often take to the countryside and visit the homes of a few unique youths or young men for his personal enjoyment. Other nobles both youths and elders enjoyed this type of pleasure seeking excursion throughout this period as a famed philosopher of later ages would claim, this idea of sexual travels as the "Cretan passion".

 

Corydon had a brother named Timeus, who was his elder by 3 years. Timeus was the beloved of Aeson, who was a friend of Demetrius. Aeson was not the usual noble as he would court his peasant lovers rather than take him as others nobles would. Demetrius thought this notion was a bit queer for a nobleman to exhibit, but he had been his friend since their youths and he grew to accept such peculiar actions.

 

Aeson went for a visit to the farmhouse of Corydon's family with Demetrius, who had just finished an "excursion" to the nearby farmhouse of Corydon's friend, Petrellis. Aeson gave the formal inquest to Timeus as he was seeding the field for the spring season. Timeus had come to expect such gentlemanly actions from Aeson and returned a formal reply, which would be usual from a noble of equal rank.

 

Demetrius immediately spoke up at such foolishness, "Aeson, why do you play around with such country dirt as if it were noble gold."

 

Corydon was also working in the fields and he replied with wit and a hint of pride, "We, country dirt, are the whole of this great island. Without our dirt, the nobles will have no crops or meat for their great houses," and why do you speak so highly of yourself, when you enjoy the ease of penetrating a peasant boy without much humor or care.

 

Demetrius countered back, "Who might you be with such a haughty air for a Minoan peasant in the presence of a Dorian? You are below me by right and Aeson can take your brother to bed as he pleases without these manners. It is a mere fact of simplicity that the Dorian people rule these lands, not the Minoan. Your speech is like a serpent's venom," though, you look beautiful to the eyes and have the meek manners of an easily seduced boy.

 

Corydon was infuriated, "Well, my lord, it is best that my brother is the beloved of Aeson, because I dare say that based on your appearance; he would be too much for you to handle. The simple fact is that you cannot take a lover of equal value or equal ability," that will cut you down to size.

 

This dispute was infuriating for both and Aeson along with Timeus tried to calm the two. They could end the quarrel between the two, so Aeson proposed a short respite. Aeson told Timeus that he would return later that night and he would take him for a ride on his horse.

 

The two lovers departed and the two foes also left each other sights.

 

Demetrius said to Aeson, "That peasant boy is infuriating and the man that has the misfortune of taking him will be much pitied throughout the land." He has a great body and a face like a God, but that tongue has got to be held back. Why can't he be like the others?

 

Aeson was pretty observant over the ordeal and reserved his judgment.

 

In the fields, Corydon said before Timeus, "Oh Gods! How can such a man be under your skies? He is no lord or noble, but an evil curse upon this island." He was particularly captivating if he was not so arrogant and high.

 

Both Demetrius and Corydon spoke much hatred towards each other during the day and neither was able to keep their minds off each other.

 

Timeus humored his little brother complaints, but he wanted to discuss the issue with Aeson.

 

That night Aeson honored his promise to return and Timeus mounted the horse. They left Timeus' home and journeyed towards the coast, which was a close distance away. Aeson had packed some bread and dried meat, which the two shared as they sat by the grassy area near the sea.

 

Timeus was the first to speak, "My love, Aeson, I dare think my brother was taken by Demetrius; even if they declared hatred upon each other."

 

Aeson thought the same, "Demetrius was equally taken by Corydon's will, but could only address him in a fit of anger."

 

Both nodded, they knew that these two were respectively well suited to be lovers if they only gave the other a small chance to open up. Timeus undressed after the talk of the day's events and Aeson followed.

 

Timeus asked, "Who should mount tonight?"

 

Aeson responded, "I'd love you to enter me"

 

The two had been sharing their love mutually beyond the mere roles that society had stressed upon such illicit affairs. Both allowed each other the privilege of penetration and the reception of oral pleasures. Under the night sky, the two shared their love and embraced their hearts with the highest degrees of honor possible.

 

The lovers parted at Timeus' home and Aeson promised to return again with Demetrius, which resulted in a large grin from Timeus.

 

The next day, Aeson would come again as promised and Demetrius, who through no better idea or his own volition joined in.

 

Corydon was not pleased at the sight of Demetrius as Demetrius was not pleased at the sight of Corydon. Timeus had prepared a small meal of bread, wine, and goat cheese for the consumption of the four.

 

Demetrius made the small comment, "This bread is a bit stiff."

 

Corydon seized the words as an insult, "You must be thinking of my friend Petrellis, who you had made quite an impression on," you were lewd to take his innocence so easily and if I could avenge him with the sword you carry, then I would.

 

Demetrius had a large bite of bread and chunk of goat cheese, he responded, "I only took what was offered," and I have no regrets over the matter. Petrellis is a good boy for my needs and he fulfills my desires perfectly. I don't need to explain to you, why Petrellis came to me or why I chose to take him? By Hades, I don't even have to think about a response.

 

Corydon felt disgusted by this man, "Do you treat all your lovers like that?" as if I did not know. You take what you want and don't ever consider the feelings of others, when you do it, if they are Minoan blood instead of the precious Dorian lineage that you claim to heir.

 

Demetrius stopped eating and spoke in a clear truthful voice, "I try to treat them as well as it is customary, nothing more and nothing less. Petrellis' father wanted to sell the boy to the mainland as whore for their brothels; I merely paid a higher price for his son and stopped his father from doing the deed. Petrellis does not know his father wanted to sell him and I wished that to remain a secret. I did what was customary for the act of purchase, if I did not, others would chide me for my actions as wasteful." Why am I explaining this to him? I don't want Petrellis to find out that his father was a monster that wanted to sell him as a whore. It was better for him to hate me rather than his family, but why am I explaining myself to this indignant boy? What is causing this mischief in my mind?

 

Corydon stopped eating and the others followed. Aeson had never known his best friend to be so honorable and caring for a Minoan as he had felt. Timeus had grown to see Demetrius in a whole new light; on the exterior, he was the rigid man of custom, but the interior man was full of conscience. Corydon wanted to find a fault with this argument and could not. He had hated Demetrius for taking his friend's innocence, but in fact Demetrius had preserved more of his friend's innocence.

 

Yet, Corydon felt a strange feeling, perhaps stemming from their relations from previous lifetimes, of betrayal, "You did not have to follow tradition if you wanted to act mercifully, so do it without the ignominious callousness that Dorian customs of honor would desire. IF what you say is true, then why not be more of an honorable man by not penetrating him at all?" I want to fight you. I want to hate you. By Hades, I want despise you. I can't fight you, because you acted nobly. I can't really hate you, because your laws were made in such ways. I can't despise you, because I would have done the same thing in you place. There is no SIMPLE answer for how we should act both towards honoring customs and denying inhuman actions.

 

Demetrius felt a sting as well for what he had done, another resonance of their past relationship, "Perhaps nobility does not run on the concept of simplicity, we merely must act based on the conditions we are presented." I feel like daggers striking my heart with each word he says to me. I feel like drowning in a vat of wine until drunkenness has consumed my consciousness. By Zeus, I tried to be an honorable man, but I feel that I failed so miserably.

 

The meal was continued slowly, but Aeson and Timeus left the two old foes and even older lovers to contemplate the measures of honor and righteous action. Both sat there and stared at each other. The old hatred from Corydon had passed and he could now feel the full weight of his empathy and an unknown feeling for Demetrius. Demetrius wanted to take the boy as his own lover more now for revealing this truth to him of the hypocrisy that the nobility lives under. He wants to make this boy his only lover, his only partner, and his only equal in the entire world. Yet, he could not without the fear that he might violate the same innocence that he had with Petrellis.

 

After this meal and for many more meals, Demetrius would accompany Aeson to the farmhouse and Corydon would welcome Demetrius warmer with each visit. Aeson was discovered by his father in the conduct of his affair with Timeus, which resulted in his expulsion from the ruling noble houses of Crete. He would travel with Timeus away from Crete to the mainland and set up residence in Thebes, where his ideas on equal love were more receptive.

 

Demetrius and Corydon began their relationship, when Corydon reached the age of 16 and Demetrius was 23. While the scandal of Aeson had caused uproar throughout the land; Demetrius and Corydon remained silent due to Aeson advising caution as Demetrius was of a more powerful noble branch. If such revelations were known of two men in equal relations beyond rank or custom, a new war may break out on island that'd consume everyone between them.

 

Demetrius and Corydon married women, but kept their relationship nevertheless as simple as simplicity, which the complex and complicated ancient world would allow. Demetrius died first. Corydon would mourn the passing of his lover and friend by breaking the traditions of the dead; he jumped into the funeral pyre that had been created for Demetrius to the amazement of all. It was his simple act of remaining true to his love forever.

Copyright © 2011 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..