Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 2,646 Words
  • 658 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love and Again - 7. Chapter 7: Age of Innocence

Lord Byron, I hope wherever you are that you may appreciate a fellow gay writer in trying to emulate your greatness. This may not be Don Juan or anything close, but I tried.

To my readers, thanks for reading and enjoy.

Age of Innocence

 

By WL (Dedicated to Lord Byron)

 

As Ages have gone, and lovers hath held

From the simplicity of Crete, we leave for new land

Oh great isle, where romance was compelled

Will their true love survive the dark journey at hand?

 

In the Centuries passing, Crete developed into the center of a new trade network between many of the mainland Greek cities, which had rebuilt and prospered through the old Egyptian trade routes that are now controlled by Persia. The human spirit and the ideals of Dorian honor had persisted and affected how the Greek city states developed. Athens became the birthplace Democracy and the first imperfect state ruled by the masses. The city of Thebes incorporated many ideals considered to be the first approaches to equality among male lovers, which Aeson and Timeus may have had a hand in.

 

However, the cities of Greece were not all equal or democratically ordered. The city state of Sparta based purely on the Dorian traditions of war was feared. It would be here that the two lovers would again make their mark on history.

 

By Peloponnesus, the city of Sparta dwell

Over the reign of great kings with iron will

Fear my strong child lovers at the fine age of six

For you shall be taken from home into the mix

 

Corydon took the role of a noble; his name was Haemon. Demetrius also born to Spartan nobility was named Galen. At their birth, their mothers drowned them in wine to prove their worth to the Spartan state and they survived. Thus, their naked bodies were presented to their fathers. They were judged fit to live due to their strength of will.

 

When each boy grew up, they met each other in mock duels and fights. They reached the age of four and their mother's determined the other's family was correctly placed for political friendship later on in life. So, their encounters grew into a steady friendship and an unspoken ideal. They grew to love one another more even at a tender age, but the ominous importance of Sparta would soon befall them. On the final night of their sixth year in life, they were taken by soldiers of the Spartan state. Each boy was crying fiercely without knowing where they were being taken. At the small Spartan barracks, they were released from their captors and thrown into the vast oceans of youths. The only things that they had were one another.

 

The lovers are in twine, lovers are fine

Nude in nights recline, Empty in stomachs dine

Years pass through arduous training and light theft

Many others with less fortuned love left

 

The two boys kept to one another and shared their pleasures along with great pains. The life of a Spartan noble in training was harsh and ragged. Swordsmanship, Archery, and the Art of War were drilled, not taught, into the minds of these young Spartans. While both boys maintained good marks due to intuitive memories of Dorian lives, their comrades in the Spartan system were not as fortunate. The punishment was harsh on those that could not perform the basic skills of a warrior; they were executed upon a review by an officer of the army. Even, with their good marks, the two boys were denied any clothing or food during their first years in the Agoge, the name of Spartan education system. The first few nights of their arrival were harsh and cold as they each huddled against the other for warmth and comfort. There was an older boy assigned to each group, who instilled discipline in the barracks with equally harsh results and humiliating treatments. The older boy would get spoils of all the food that was received and left the younger ones to fend off starvation. Many died in the first months. The two boys had to rely on theft and secrecy of food to keep each other alive.

 

During their fourth year, Galen fell ill. Haemon snuck out of the barracks during their scheduled meal break to fetch medicinal herbs and stole twice the food from the surrounding Helot farms. He was a crafty boy with a mind for tactics and war, which he used to the surprise of the surrounding farmers. He brought back the secret stash of food and herbs, which he hid in a false hole from the marble in the wall. Haemon went to the night drills that were assigned after dinner had passed. During the drills, he watched as his friend, Galen, was fiercely punished for moving poorly due to his fatigue and sickness. The standard punishment for inadequate speed was twenty beatings. At 11 years of age, Haemon watched as his friend was beaten and his struggle to regain his composure afterwards. It was savage and raw; in our time, men such as these Spartans would be arrested for cruelty. Yet, among their fellow city states and even some foolish scholars of today, they are viewed as the most disciplined people in human history.

 

After drills were finished, Haemon took hold of Galen and they moved out of sight. He tried to tend to his lover and gave him more food, while taking none. Galen looked sad.

 

Galen spoke, "Haemon, I am weak of spirits; the gods have defined me to die, why you aid such a weakling?" I am a useless child in the presence of a true Spartan. I tried to fight this ill, but I cannot overcome it. How can I overcome an enemy soldier, when I cannot overcome an illness? I am weak that is the only answer. I should die nameless to my city and without honor. I do not want Haemon to sacrifice his time or the sacred sustenance of food on my poor being. I think of him as friend, brother, and much more beyond what is possible between two males. How can I let him down in such a way?

 

Haemon was shocked at his friend's entreaties, "Galen, Were we not friends at a young age? Were we not bonded all these years in suffering? Were we not lying with one another promising eternal support? I will remain by your side and protect you as I know you shall do for me." I don't want to lose you. You're my friend, my brother, and much more beyond. I would protect you from harm wherever it may come from, whether it might be the Gods from above or our officers. The next time, anyone attempts to harm you or remove you from my side; I shall cut them down.

 

With Haemon's vow enacted upon love

Men tested his resolve, he fought without fear

Sparta in vengeance sought his death above

Galen with great love brought dear Haemon clear

 

On their 12th birthday, the barracks were open to a group of young military officers. They were to pick a boy to be their Eromenos and they would be the Erastes. All the boys were ordered to stand in formation to be picked by their new Erastes and they would be exclusively trained by them during their Erastes. They were also to disrobe any garments that they had earned through their years in the Spartan system, which amounted to a light tunic for most with a small animal skinned pelt in the case of Haemon and Galen. Haemon as the most skilled of his group was a highly prize treasure for many of the officers, who wished to train a powerful successor to their top posts. Galen was no less sought after due to his acute mental abilities and skill at overall planning. After the Erastes and Eromenos had been bind, they would separate the pairs. However, Haemon witnessed the kissing of Galen roughly by his Erastes in protest from Galen. He came to his friend's defense and pushed Galen's Erastes aside.

 

To show disrespect to an Erastes is to show disrespect for the State, Spartan law was clear and Haemon must be made an example of. A group of Erastes and soldiers stationed near the barracks held down Haemon and the prefect of the camp sentenced him to death either his own hands or a soldiers. In Sparta, committing a crime of disrespect to the State could only be expunged by ritual suicide. If you continue to contest the act, then death by another Spartan's hands would dishonor your family for generations. Haemon chose suicide by sword.

 

The prefect presented him with a sword and everyone around the area formed a circle for all to see a noble citizen purging his family's name. At that moment, Galen stepped into the circle and faced Haemon directly.

 

Galen looked around him and at Haemon with the sword drawn, "Haemon, why have you decided to end your life? My fellow Spartans, why have you so easily condemned him? My Erastes acted rudely and my friend protected me. Is there any greater honor than the state of Sparta in your hearts? I see now the noble spirit in a man is not defined by his actions on the battlefield, but his conduct in the moral treatment of friends. I love Haemon with all my heart in Eros; not only that I love him equally as friend as well. Haemon, if you love me please release that sword and we can fight our way out of this land that knows no honor. If you love men not, then drive it deep into my heart." I don't want you to die Haemon. I realize now that I love you as a man might love a woman. I know it is forbidden; it is viewed as the "Athenian plague" or "Cretan pleasure", but I cannot resist my heart any longer. I cannot live without you and if you never loved me in such a way, then I want you to kill me along with yourself for even asking you.

 

Haemon felt a tear in his eyes as he saw the young Galen in front of him bare-chested and naked, "Galen, I have preferred you by my side and in my bed for many years. I wished that you and I could have been born in Crete or some other place, where our love may be expressed freely. I see now through your words how this state does not honor its warriors. What type of state sanctions the brutal treatment of childhood innocence? We came here as children all of us to bear the burden of the state and defend Spartan honor against our enemies, but what enemies have we forgotten within the state? I would not be alive today without my love, Galen. He would not be alive today without me. We are equal as both lovers and partners in the battlefield, but Sparta denies this ideal, instead she forces her native sons to be prostitutes and whores to lovers twice their age for the purposes of training. However, what training are we being given? These liaisons train us on how to service an older man without love or desire; thus, you are training us not as soldier, just whores. Oh what glorious State Sparta will be in, when our armies are full of whores." I will not hold back, since my love is with me. I will not let my Spartan pride get between us. If I must defend our honor, then we shall do it together.

 

The two lovers fought the hordes of unarmed men, who were still deadly in combat from fighting in many wars. However, the spirits of Heracles and Aeolus were within these two boys; the legendary duo could match any army and any foe. They were able to escape the barracks and fled to the countryside. They walked for many days and slept briskly, knowing the pursuers from Sparta would be following their trails. They cross many allied cities of Sparta and many Helot farms. Finally, reaching the northeastern shores of Peloponnesus; they had to make a decision on which ship to stow away at the docks.

 

Now what nation shall receive these two boys?

Perhaps, Crete, where their love was compelled

Perhaps, Athens, where their freedom was held

What state would honor them with fruits and joys?

 

Haemon proposed to Galen, "We may entreat Crete, where our kind flourishes in abundance."

 

Galen shakes his head, "We should not go to Crete for the nobles there take too many liberties with their youths, which we might fall pray too. Why not we go to Athens, where our kind has freedom in abundance."

 

Haemon shakes his head, "We should not go to Athens for their people are wild to change and may quite easily disapprove of our kind as quickly as they adopted us."

 

Galen then looked at his love, "What nation can we adopt if neither seems fit?"

 

A noble had been behind them observing their words intently and replied, "Why not come to Thebes my two young friends? Our city believes in the Athenian equanimity of your kind without retraction, your kind has flourished for centuries, and we desire men of great honor, which you two hath shown against the tyranny of Spartan rule."

 

Haemon looked at Galen with a nod, "Let us be as Laius and Chrysippus without violating our bonds and vows."

 

To Thebes! To Thebes! The journey was placed

For years, their love in honor was graced

Sparta without honor has been matched

On the Tegyra soil, her destiny was snatched

Dare challenge the lovely innocence of youth

Lovers have demonstrated the greatest truth

 

They journeyed to Thebes, where the noble set them up as advisors and officers for the Theban army. Though they were young, both had the knowledge and skills surpassing most officers far and wide. The army of Thebes was organized on the Spartan model without the harsh treatment to their youths. A stronger bond was built between soldiers and the soldiers of the same sexual predilection as Haemon or Galen would be joined together in units to form stronger unions. The soldiers rallied behind these two nymphs, who they greatly admired for their devotion to honor and each other.

 

Many years passed and these two boys had become men; both possessing many titles and estates within the state of Thebes. Upon nearing a temple of Apollo, Haemon asked, "Galen, Are you willing to give up family honor and join me as an equal lover and partner before the Gods?" I wish to bond with you in front of Apollo to cement our love for the Gods to know.

 

Galen replied, "I would give up my life for you; there is nothing greater than my love. I want to be your lover before the Gods." Thus, they were bonded before Apollo.

 

Their lives will be short as most warriors' lives were; they died on the battlefield defending their adopted home from the expansionist state of Athens to the north. In years to come, a new model army based on the tradition passed down from Haemon and Galen would be created in Thebes. Sparta will use her discipline and strength to conquer most of Greece, including Athens among other cities, but Thebes withstood her assaults.

 

In the year 375 BCE, the Battle of Tegyra was fought between Sparta and Thebes to determine the power of their ideals. In the end, it was a band of 250 men, who were all lovers and partners in life as Haemon and Galen were, that stood against an army of 1,000 Spartans. Outnumbered, they proved the worth of true love on the battlefield and ended the Tyranny of Sparta. These men would be known as the Sacred Band of Thebes.

Copyright © 2011 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..