Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 4,527 Words
  • 585 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love and Again - 8. Chapter 8: Olympian Deeds Part One

Olympian Deeds is a reference to Alexander's mother, Olympia, who was really named Myrtle.

This part one of six in a vignette type sage of the greatest hero and lover in history. Alexander the Great is one of my favorite historical people.

Olympian Deeds (Part one)

By WL

 

What defines Greatness?

Is it a word of size and Grandeur?

Or could it be a far Greater and Grander?

 

As centuries past, the lovers would again meet. In the old lands of Dorias, there was a mighty kingdom called Macedon. Its king Philip II was a warrior of the highest value and highest foresight. An unlikely candidate for the supreme leader of Greece; he was exchanged as the captive son of the Macedonian king to the city state of Thebes as child after the Theban army's victory with the support from the elite Sacred Band.

 

Philip gained a marvelous education from Thebes. He learned a great deal about honor and love, which was passed down from Haemon and Galen. Philip was befriended by Pelopidas, chief of Sacred Band, who had brought him to Thebes after the victory. Pelopidas wanted to protect the young boy, even after the terms of captivity in Thebes. Philip was much beloved and nurtured by Pelopidas and Philip returned the love in kind as if he were his father or even a romantic partner after a time. However, Pelopidas did not desire to take the boy as a lover until he had reached an appropriate age due to the traditions, which had been passed down through the military. Pelopidas left for long periods of time and left Philip behind in the care of Pammenes.

 

Philip learned the greatest amount through his adult lover, Pammenes. Pammenes was one of most skilled military tacticians of the age, equal to Pelopidas, and a strong supporter of Thebe's general military. Defeating Spartan, Athenian, and Persian armies alike; very few commanders were his equals on the battlefield. Yet, Pammenes was not a gentle lover in the same traditions as the founders of Theban Sacred Band's military traditions. His brutalities to his youthful lovers were known throughout the land. Perhaps, it was his years of warfare and bloodlust that caused his sadistic actions with young lovers. In time, Philip would develop many attributes from the skilled Pammenes, but he would also detest the carnal viciousness that Pammenes represented to him. Philip's love and hatred for male lovers would continue, while his own list of male lovers would increase in time and the depths of his own sadistic pleasure seeking will surpass his teacher.

 

Through luck and chance, Philip returned to Macedon after the death of his older brother as Regent to his nephew and upon his nephew's "mysterious" death attained the throne. Macedon became a nation of war and the skills that he learned from Pammenes were used effectively to expand the realm. He defeated armies of every Greek state, including his favored Thebans. At the final defeat of the Sacred Band, he lamented the need to kill such marvelous men.

 

During this time, Haemon's soul began the transition into the stomach of Myrtle, a noble female, who had an affair with Philip during the night of drunken orgy among Dionysian traditionalist. Knowing Philip had desires on a noble birth for his line of succession and wishing to increase her own status, she claimed the child as Philip's seed. While Philip had no significant interest in this woman and felt that it was merely a night of drunken passion dissuaded her entreaties. Until, he learned that his current wife, Audata, bore him only a daughter. Then, he struck a deal with Myrtle, who, if she bore a strong son, would be given the title of queen of Macedon. Philip was a realist and knew he needed a true heir to continue his dynastic goals.

 

Haemon was born as Alexander III, or as later historians will remember Alexander the Great. No man knows if Alexander was truly Philip's son, since there was more than one suitor for that claim at the drunken orgy.

 

Galen would be born at the same time and date as his companion through ages untold. His name was Hephestion, son of a Macedonian noble family and the fullest partner that Alexander will ever have.

 

Philip saw Alexander grow and knew the possibility of illegitimacy due to the precarious nature of his conception. Philip tried to be a noble father figure to Alexander as Pelopidas had been to him in Thebes. He gave Alexander the best of everything Macedonian.

 

Alexander met Hephestion in the royal court and they developed closeness with one another. When Alexander was ten, he and Hephestion went for a walk together; they spotted a strange sight as Philip tried unsuccessfully to mount a horse of splendid beauty.

 

"Curse you Merchant of Thessaly, you wish to injure me with such a high priced beast," Philip snapped at the merchant, who had the look of fear in his eyes.

 

"My dear lord, I had no idea that the horse would have such a bad reaction to you. It is the finest of her breed in all Thessaly. Please spare me, I shall return your gold," the merchant responded.

 

"Bah! You have wound me with lies and bodily harm; I will have your head," Philip screamed and his guards were ready to perform the duty.

 

"Wait father!" Alexander quickly came up.

 

Philip saw Alexander and Hephestion coming to him, "Alexander, this man is a liar and tried to harm me; what type of ruler would allow an assassin freedom?"

 

Alexander quickly responded, "Father, perhaps the horse merely needs special instructions."

 

Philip smirked at his son's naiveté, "I shall wager you my young son, if you can mount this horse without injury, then it shall be your property and this man may go free."

 

Hephestion began whispering in Alexander's ear, "We can do it, Alexander. We can win this horse for ourselves and take her out to the countryside for some fun."

 

Alexander smiled after hearing Hephestion's word, "Father I accept your challenge."

 

Alexander looked at the horse and Hephestion looked at her, too. She appeared enraged and wildly unpredictable if a human drew near her.

 

Hephestion looked at her and could tell something was bothering her with their approach, "Alexander, the beast does not like the approach of men; I think."

 

Alexander looked at her as he approached and noticed her eyes would look downward before she became unpredictable.

 

"She has a fear of our shadows, not our bodies as we approach Hephestion. I know what must be done to tame her," Alexander said and rushed up to her, then grabbed her head and forced her to look him in the eyes. The horse stopped her unpredictable motion and stood perfectly still. Alexander bade Hephestion to come near him and he shifted her gaze towards Hephestion as well. Afterward, Alexander and Hephestion mounted the horse together in surprise of Philip and his guards.

 

"My son, your skills and ambitions are far greater than my own," Philip said in both admiration and fear as he knew Alexander may become his greatest liability.

 

The horse would never obey any other masters, but Alexander and Hephestion for as long as she lived. After the incident, Philip grew fearful of Alexander and sent him out of the royal court in Pella. The reason was education from the renowned teacher Aristotle, but the real reason was to distance Alexander from making allies in the royal court. Hephestion asked to accompany Alexander, which was granted by Philip.

 

Aristotle accepted his two new students and began their education. Aristotle was taught by Plato, who was taught by Socrates. Each man was a luminary of their age; they possessed great insights into philosophy and worldly ideals.

 

Hephestion was an intellectual practitioner or a man, who can apply different ideas into realistic actions. This ability may have stemmed from lifetimes of experiences; including his former life as Aeolus, who contributed to Heracles and the first Dorian Empire of Greece. He loved speaking with Aristotle on the hypothetical concepts of his teacher, Plato, and the idea of a Republic.

 

Alexander was focused on the ideas of the Greek systems such as military and administration. He saw the creation of what the Greek philosopher's had claimed as Eutopia. Alexander had seen his goal in life through Aristotle's teaching; he wanted to unite the world and end all conflicts. Alexander had learned of what his father had done after his conquest of certain Greek states and saw his legacy as raising Greek culture into a world culture. Perhaps, he remembered bits of the promise made in Sodom so long ago.

 

Both boys were taught the classics of Greek literature. Their favorite story from Aristotle was the Iliad, whose main characters Achilles and Patrochlos became their idols.

 

Years passed, Alexander grew restless as he entered puberty and he wanted to go back home to seek glory. Hephestion was more sensitive of the situation in the royal court through certain friends and allies; Philip still harbored great fear for Alexander's ability and he has been attempting to create a 2nd heir for himself through legitimate relations. Through Hephestion's warnings, Alexander was able to avoid the costly mistake of returning home too quickly to win glory and most likely end up dead under mysterious circumstance as his cousin had.

 

However, events would take place that no one had expected. The city state of Thebes, an ally of Macedon, had rebelled against Philip's warring ways and began gathering allies to combat him. Philip in need of every able bodied Macedonian fighter gathered the entire court around him and called Alexander back.

 

At age 15, Alexander and Hephestion returned to court and were given commission as generals of the Macedonian army. Macedonians were awed at the boyhood spectacle of these two and unsure if they should be given such high positions. Myrtle, who had longed to see her son return, was filled with joy that his father would allow him to take command of an army, but she was weary of Philip's machinations.

 

During the evening before Alexander and his boyhood friend, Hephestion, left for battle, Myrtle confided in Hephestion.

 

"My dear Hephestion, I have seen you by my son's side, since your boyhoods together. I can assume that you have taken traditional Dorian vows as Heracles and Aeolus before," Myrtle speculated, when Alexander was away grooming Bucephalus, his noble horse.

 

Hephestion was shocked by the queens direct questioning as such practices were known, but highly disdained.

 

Myrtle spoke again, "I see you as someone with an absolute loyalty to my son beyond any lover or queen that he may take. That is why I want you to know; I believe my husband, Philip, wishes ill of Alexander. As you are his companion and partner in life by Dorian tradition, I pray you protect him."

 

Hephestion had never felt such ease or praise in his life or lifetimes. Myrtle had not only validated his relationship to Alexander, but she had insisted on him being Alexander's "companion and partner".

 

"I will protect Alexander even if I must traverse the gates of Hades and swim the fire river, Styx, to do so," Hephestion answered and Myrtle bowed before him, which is a custom a queen should never make before a noble.

 

The two teenage boys left for war and Philip began his plan to eliminate the competition as Myrtle predicted. In the arrangement of battle, Philip gave Alexander and Hephestion a scant force on his left wing, where Alexander would fight the elite force of Thebes, the Sacred Band. Hephestion saw through Philip's plan and Alexander feared his father was leading him into a trap as well. Hephestion made plans with Alexander, while the two were in Alexander tent as they had shared before.

 

"I will go to the Thessalonians and ask their Cavalry commander for assistance," Hephestion said as he intimately massaged Alexander's bare shoulders.

 

"Hephestion that plan will not aid us much, since the Hoplites of the Sacred Band possess a spear longer than Persian or Macedonian alike. Furthermore, they are not standard foes; like us, they share a love beyond all natural understanding and they will fight bitterly for their lover as you would for me," Alexander responded.

 

"Then what shall we do to take us out of your father's trap?" Hephestion asked.

 

Alexander pondered and looked at the field of battle from the maps drawn, "I see a possibility; you must take charge of the Thessalonians' Cavalry troops and go around the field of battle to the extreme wing of their army. I will attack head on, forcing their forces to face me drawing their spears forward rather than sideways. As we hem them on both sides and your cavalry has blocked their maneuverability; they will have no choice and no ability to fight us with dexterity."

 

Alexander and Hephestion made love that night as if it were their last night on earth for they knew not what fate would bring.

 

The battle commenced as Alexander had thought; the Sacred Band of Thebes, which in his past life he founded, was completely annihilated by him. The Battle of Chaeronea was the last that the Theban Sacred Band will ever take place in. Alexander felt sadness in destroying this band of men, who like him, shared a similar love. Hephestion after the battle saw him weep tenderly and Hephestion also weep for those men. They vowed to make sure their deaths were not made in vain and their lives would bring further glories upon the dead. Philip lamented at the destruction of this noble group, whose passion he admired. He ordered a commemorative statue to be placed at the sight of the battle.

 

Alexander and Hephestion toured the captured Sacred Band members, numbering 40 or so men, who had lost their partners and lovers.

 

Alexander looked upon them and spoke in great sympathy, "My worthy foes, cruel fate forced us to fight against one another. Yet, we are brothers in arms; we are companions and partners alike. Beside me, stands my love, Hephestion, who like your own lovers had given a vow to fight. We are not dissimilar and we should not keep fighting amongst our own kind. We were told by our mutual enemies to fight on that spot; it was merely fortune that gave me the victory that I have today. What happened to Pammenes, your former lord? Betrayed by the state you serve and lead to his death. Oh dark fate! Thebes has turned their backs on our kind as the other Greek States have in the past. Then what nation can noblemen like us call home? My father ordered me to attack your line in hopes to destroy me and destroy the hope that I may bring. We are no different; forced to fight for unworthy men, we should be allies rather than enemies and fight those that seek our shared destruction together."

 

The demoralized and saddened Thebans took heart of Alexander's words and cheered for him as they would one of their former generals. They fell deeply in love with Alexander's beauty and words of hope.

 

Alexander and Hephestion at night left to the Thessalonians and gave them congratulations, while they cheered on these youths for the unbelievable victory. The leaders and men of the cavalry bowed his head to Alexander and Hephestion swearing their allegiance to their cause.

 

Philip and his generals were surprised at Alexander's victory of the Theban Sacred Band. The generals no longer had doubt that this boy was indeed a great leader of men. Philip had no doubt that Alexander had become a serious threat upon his throne and line. Philip sent his son to Athens; after an envoy that asked for his death was sent.

 

Hephestion accompanied Alexander secretly with a band of 300 loyal men, chosen after the battle from the Thessalonians and the remaining Sacred Band members. This group of Greek and Thessalonians was an odd sight to be seen with fearsome features and dangerous stares. The Athenian assassin desired not to act upon Philip's request. The public forum welcomed Alexander and he gave Athens merciful terms for peace, which they immediately accepted and offered their support to him in gratitude. Alexander was wise beyond his years and, in a few days, cemented support among Athenians both noble and common alike.

 

Philip saw this truth and began to plan more overtly to secure his own power. Years before, his advisor, Attalus, offered him the hand of his childbearing age niece, Cleopatra. Philip moved vigorously and used every aphrodisiac and charm available. Finally, Cleopatra had secretly born him another son, who he lavished with praise.

 

Philip had sent for Alexander and Myrtle to come back to the royal court in Pella for a celebration of the complete conquest of Greece and his announcement of new campaigns in Asia. Hephestion accompanied Alexander as always and kept their forces hidden outside the city.

 

At the feast, Philip announced, "My friends, my son Alexander has greatly wrong the state of Macedon. In his peace with Athens, he desired neither gold nor indemnity of slaves as is custom. How can I hand over my kingdom to him, when he is so soft? Look upon his side, the boy, Hephestion, who has more masculine vigor than Alexander and if allowed shall rule in my son's stead. Woe, I cannot allow my kingdom to fall to such calamity. I must place as my heir another more suitable son, who shall take my place. My wife and queen, Myrtle, who has born me such a weakling, shall lose her rights to Cleopatra, mother of stronger son."

 

Alexander was in shock and anger at his father's pronouncements. However, Hephestion tried to calm him or lest they might incite the court against them.

 

Attalus; then spoke, "My dear king, perhaps it is for the better that you now have a legitimate heir!"

 

Alexander could hold no longer, "Then, am I a bastard?"

 

Philip having waited for such a claim to arise drew his sword, "Your mother was unfaithful and bore me a wicked bastard son."

 

Philip moved toward Myrtle; however, he had tripped accidentally on a piece of ancient pottery, which was made by Matt and Zeke in Sodom. The piece was misplaced there by chance or fate, since it belonged to the Dorian conquerors and Philip's ancestors, who had found the piece in the land of Asia.

 

Alexander took the opportunity of his fallen father to remark, "Look there men of Macedon, How can you follow this man to Asia, when he cannot even cross a simple table? Philip claims I am weak, but look upon his own brow and countenance. Pammenes and Pelopidas took great pleasure in penetrating him as a boy. Today, he penetrates Pausanias, his young guard and servant, more so than his wives unless he feels the need to bear another son upon his line. He takes pleasure not just in penetrating Pausanias, who is a year younger than me, but he also enjoys the sight of torturous activities between him and his boy lovers. The rumors of my love for Hephestion are true and I believe so are the rumors about the mysterious deaths of certain noble boys that have fallen into my father's perversions. What type of man would injure or kill his lovers for pleasure? He acts as if he was the God of virility, but he is nothing more than a cruel man. Is this man what you want for a King?"

 

Hephestion having heard Alexander grabbed him by the hand and rushed him out of the palace. Hephestion also instructed Myrtle to do the same and meet them at the nearby woods, where Alexander and Hephestion had troops in hiding. Myrtle told Hephestion that Alexander had done a good deed and he should not worry for her safety as she had planned for this altercation.

 

Myrtle went to Pausanias' room and talked to the young man, who had desired revenge against Philip, but he lacked the opportunity until now. He was barely a boy of 14, but he was chosen by Philip to be among his guards due to his prowess in the Olympic Games and his beauty. Pausanias endured hours of pain under Philip's care; from whippings to cuts from small blades. In last round of torture, Philip had exclaimed a desire to keep his youthful servant as his own forever. Philip took a sword and sliced off the boys' male organ. Pausanias would survive this ordeal, but he wished for death and desired to take Philip with him.

 

"Go to Philip, who is leaving the dining chamber to the stables. Use a hidden dagger and cut him down. If you should die, then I shall crown you as a man more honored than he shall ever be," Myrtle told the Pausanias.

 

Pausanias went to Philip, who was assembling his guards to give chase to Alexander and Hephestion. No one suspected anything upon seeing Pausanias. He approached Philip, who was angrily shouting out orders to notice his killer's approach.

 

"For the wrongs that you have done upon me," Pausanias cried as he drew out his hidden dagger and slashed Philip. Philip's throat was bleeding profusely, Pausanias stabbed his heart, and then stabbed Philip's male organ.

 

The other guards rushed up to Pausanias and slew him in quick motion, but it was too late. Philip was dead.

 

Myrtle upon the sight of her dead husband quickly sent a message to her son, Alexander. Alexander rounded his men and went into the city, then the palace.

 

Attalus, who did not know Alexander had a sizable force, was quite shocked at soldiers surrounding him. Cleopatra was also captured with her infant son.

 

Myrtle had greeted Alexander and Hephestion upon their arrival into the main chamber of the palace.

 

"Welcome my king and general," Myrtle said.

 

"Mother, what foul deed have you spawned?" Alexander asked.

 

"My son, it was done for your own good; Philip was mad with power and desires that would destroy Macedon. Pausanias merely took the opportunity, while Philip's mind was distracted with your escape, to end his suffering," Myrtle said.

 

"This is not an honorable way to end the reign of a king," Alexander added.

 

"My son, there is no such thing as honorable, when you have little choice other than death. I spared you the hardship of killing your father and the bloodshed that your men would create in Macedon upon a long civil war. This way was quick and decisive; we gained authority in the royal court. Your men outnumber the loyalist guards of Philip and Attalus' military allies in the city. We have achieved victory almost bloodlessly," Myrtle said.

 

"Yet, my queen, how can we change the declaration Philip made upon you and Alexander?" Hephestion stated.

 

"Ah my astute general, you forget, truth is in the eye of the beholder. The nobles that were there at the feast are still here at the palace, no one outside these walls heard anything. Let's just say they were co-conspirators with Pausanias in the plot to kill Philip," Myrtle said.

 

"You would ask me to slaughter innocent noble blood!" Alexander exclaimed.

 

"No, I would ask you to kill traitors, who had a hand in murdering your father. If word spreads of this incident, neither of us would be able to take the throne and the land would be plunged into chaos," Myrtle said.

 

"How about the rumors started before the incident, when Philip had suspicion of Alexander's birth?" Hephestion asked.

 

"Simple and attended, I will create an ornate myth that Alexander is the son of Zeus and upon him the great kings of the world shall bow to," Myrtle stated.

 

Alexander was about to respond to this indignity and sacrilegious speech, but Hephestion forbade him.

 

"It is for the best of Macedon that we keep this charade and allow this myth of what occurred and your origins to fill the minds of men. We have much to do my love; I cannot bear witness to your failure before your attempt," Hephestion pleaded with Alexander, who acquiesced to his lover's request with great ambivalence.

 

Myrtle left the main chamber and headed to Cleopatra's bed chamber.

 

"How dare you treat the Queen of Macedon like this?" Cleopatra proclaimed.

 

Myrtle appeared behind the soldiers and slapped Cleopatra, "You whore, if you believe that I would let you take the throne from me and my son, you are deathly mistaken. I shall have your bloody breast on display in the public square to remind others not to tempt fate against a real queen. Your son will be treated like a dog; I want everyone to remember him as a bastard that Philip tried to proclaim upon Alexander. Your name will be synonymous with whores and harlots for ages to come. If a queen should ever befall with the same name as you, then she will be damned and cursed."

 

Cleopatra was afraid and dropped to her knees, "My queen, I am sorry for any insolence that I might spoken or acted. I am your servant and I will make it my solemn duty for years to come. Please spare me and my son."

 

Myrtle laughed, "You should have thought of that before you entered Philip's bed chamber and bore him this bastard. Ah look at him, so proud and beautiful, not knowing that his life has been changed forever. If fortune had smiled upon you, little babe, you would have been king of Macedon, one day. You would have endless treasures and an army that you can train for conquests that your father had only imagined. Now, you are just a naked child with no claim, no destiny, and a future as a slave to my son. Perhaps, he might treat you mercifully, but you should hold your breath if he ever takes you into his bed. His love for Hephestion and Hephestion's love for him is far stronger than the mere beauty from a youthful whore could break."

 

Myrtle ordered Cleopatra to be taken out and executed along with her uncle. The young baby boy was to be sent into the home of lowly slave with the strictest code on his development to be a loyal servant to Alexander.

 

Dozens of nobles and officers, who could not be trusted, were executed at the scene as conspirators in the murder of King Philip. A few days later, Alexander would be crowned king of Macedon with his lover, Hephestion, in the background giving him support.

 

So, begins the greatest saga of these two souls in ancient times. The stories that shall come from their epic battles and epic love will change the face of human civilization for eons to come.

 

To be continued...

Copyright © 2011 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..