Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 5,404 Words
  • 224 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Res Publica Christiana - 5. Qui Tam

"Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur"

(Who pursues in this action as much for the king as himself)

I was not the best fit to be on the throne, but I was the only male heir and traditions said that I must rule. That is how I, Edward Tudor, an unworthy and weak sod, became the King of England, Wales, and Ireland. As a king, what have I accomplished, except setting up a few schools and lining up some noblemen's pockets? I began my reign at the age of ten years, motherless since birth and fatherless from that point onward. I was a sheltered creature due to my poor physical constitution and lack of connections, or so my keepers told me from Edward Seymore to John Dudley. I was merely a tool for my keepers to claim power and new titles until someone with more ambition than them rises. What kind of King is that?

As my reign continued, my keepers grew bolder. Some say that it was because I grew more complacent and trusted their words more. Yet, I knew they were plotting at each turn. John Dudley and Edward Seymore were not subtle about their schemes, and I could do nothing to stop them. I could not call upon my sister Mary, who has held resentment towards me for being my father's true heir, while she became no more than a bastard with the favor of those who preferred the old ways and the Papacy, which defined the old order. Due to our father's arrangements and the factions within the court, Mary fought every decision of my keepers, such as keeping our father's new faith and revoking the outdated practices of the old church. I could not commit, but dear not compromise, which would be unacceptable to my keepers and a sign of weakness to Mary's faction. In the end, it did not matter if compromises were reached, because Mary and those who supported her from Spain, France, Italy, Scotland, and England itself have raised a mighty army of 50,000 that converged on London. As I represent the new church of my father and the new faith of newly landed nobles, I could not be a "legitimate king".

hen, who should I call upon if not my only sister, and I had no living brother as the bastard Fitzroy died decades ago?

Eli has come to my side many times over the years, offering me an outlet to compromise, an honest opinion, and a bond that I never shared with any other member of my family. As I was struck by the white plague in April, Barnaby was already given medicine from Eli to treat me, despite the white plague being fatal and incurable. I recovered due to Eli's quiet assistance. At that moment, I was willing to give my throne to Eli, the title of King or Queen did not matter in light of what Eli did for me. When I heard Eli had joined forces with Mary's army according to John Dudley, I was driven into a melancholic madness. Barnaby had died of poison in a cup of herbal tea meant for me recently, so I felt completely alone. My lover had died, and my only real family member had betrayed me.

I did not know why Eli did it and I was afraid to find out. I knew it must have been Mary or someone in her sphere, who ordered my poisoning. Did Eli know about this? If Eli did know, why offer me miracle medicine that saved me from the white death, which would have killed around this time as well?

As pondered many things in my mind during the solitude of my bed chamber, two men arrived without announcement. They were Lord Ambrose Dudley, a son of John Dudley, and Lord Kit Ashley, the Royal Tutor. I had rarely seen these men together, but the pair of them was a stark contrast. Ambrose Dudley was young, stout, and balding with the looks of someone who enjoyed food and drink. Kit Ashley was old, weak, and gray from his hair and dress, all were signs of a life nearing its final season.

The two men, as different as they were, had one thing in common. They both looked at me with pity.

I asked, "Are you here to kill me or counsel me?"

Ambrose replied, "Neither your majesty."

Kit added, "Do you no longer wish to be on the throne?"

"Not if I have to live in fear every day," I replied gloomily.

Kit said, "Then we must prepare your evacuation to Somerset, Your Majesty."

"What about my sister's army and their siege of London? I can't abandon the capital in a time like this and especially not to Eli's territory when he has made his allegiances clear," I spoke outraged at Kit Ashley's suggestion.

"Your majesty, Duke Eli is doing what is best for the realm. The forces under Mary were far too great to overcome without difficulty and cost, so contrition was needed by the duke to preserve strength and authority. Such foresight and planning by your sibling preserve the kingdom in its entirety from anarchy or foreign rule. However, you as a king without loyal men of arms and cities cannot do the same. London will fall as easily as Duke Henry Grey's castle to Mary's mighty cannons." Kit Ashley answered.

I said, "That does not answer the question of where I go to avoid capture. Where can I hide in England? Where can I find a loyal subject who would risk his neck and mine to defy the might of Mary? Eli has already submitted to her, why should I go to Somerset?"

Kit Ashley replied, "I would say Your Majesty should hide in the last place your enemies would suspect, it is the safest place for you at this point."

"The safest place? Lord Kit Ashley, have you lost your senses?"

Kit Ashley smiled, "I was one of the men entrusted with bringing you the miracle medicine from Duke Eli through the late Mister Fitzpatrick. Duke Eli wishes to protect you and would not allow you to be used or slaughtered so easily. As Mary has already attempted to poison you once before, what is to stop her from another attempt?"

Ambrose Dudley spoke in support of Kit Ashley's assessment of Eli, "Duke Eli is wonderfully chivalrous, who will go to great lengths to protect loved ones of blood or spirit."

Sighing, I stared at both men, "How do I leave London for Eli's domain? Also, Lord Ambrose Dudley, your father will not take my departure well, since he has plans to use me as a bulwark in levying forces from London to resist Mary."

Kit Ashley answered, "Your majesty, your departure is already planned. Lord Ambrose is the only person that can see you leave safely, and he has agreed to ensure your protection as well. As for your concerns about his father, the Duke of Northumberland, I can create a distraction for the time being by sacrificing my own life in a spectacle of fire."

"What?! No, Lord Kit Ashley, you cannot commit suicide for my sake! I forbid you from even entertaining such an idea!" I exclaimed.

"Your Majesty, the situation is dire, and the court is full of conspirators. I feel like Lord William Cecil and Lord William Paulet may be Duke Eli's men, but Eli never confessed such machination to me, and I dare not approach them if I am wrong. As I have no allies at court and no wealth in lands or gold to persuade men of influence, I must do this. It is my last act of service to the Crown," Kit Ashley replied in a calm tone.

"Lord Kit Ashley, this is not an act of service, it is an act of madness. You cannot expect to die as a martyr or hero. I am not worth your life," I replied.

"I served your father King Henry without reserve and promised to protect his children until the end. As I do not wish for you to come to harm, nor wish to come into conflict or service with your sister Mary, I cannot remain in court. As I believed Duke Eli would one day ascend to this throne as the most capable among your father's children, I could not serve your reign fully, King Edward. If you trust your old teacher's advice, I believe your counsel to Eli will be useful for more than enmity as a rival. Eli, like your father is ambitious and perceptive, the few ideas on administration that Eli shared with Mr. Paulet in private were more than enough to bring our finances into balance, but they require diligent review for corruption and temperate policies. You should moderate Eli's policies and guide our realm to a new golden age," Kit Ashley said and pushed a bag full of coins into my hand, "Now be off, before I die too soon to serve the realm."

Kit Ashley bowed and left the room. Ambrose Dudley then pulled my sleeve, "Your Majesty, we must hurry before anyone catches wind of this. Please follow me and dress comfortably for hard travel."

The next moment, Ambrose and I slipped away from Whitehall. He and I got onto our horses, then headed West towards Ludgate, the western gate of London. Once at the gate, Ambrose pushed me to a back alley as he approached the guards himself. I was filled with fear that he would take this opportunity to betray me and ingratiate himself with his father, but Ambrose was nobler than I believed based on his reputation or connections. He directed them to leave their posts as a major uproar occurred in Whitehall, where smoke began to rise. The soldiers left their positions and ran to the palace, while Ambrose gestured for me to leave with him through Ludgate. That was how we departed London,

Once we left London, we embarked on a river barge from Kew to Oxford, which I procured with the funds given to me by Lord Ashley. While land travel may be far more inconspicuous than river transit, the risk was greater that I might run into lords loyal to either John Dudley or Mary. I also knew due to my regents; I was not a beloved king in the eyes of my subjects. I allowed high rents from nobles on their tenants, the elimination of spiritual holidays, and the endemic issues of enclosures for woodlands and grazing grounds, so I had made a sizable portion of the populace unfavorable to my rule. In brief conversations with Puck, Eli's closed-lip friend on most subjects except bed chamber activities, I learned that Eli had once undergone a similar journey to Somerset, but Eli was able to defeat assassins and malign forces without fear due to anonymity. I did not know the details, but the basic outline from his words and rumors at court indicates a heroic victory against overwhelming odds. However, unlike Eli, who had Mr. Walsingham, a graduate of King's College with a penchant for black attire from a family of standing, Robert Dudley, John Dudley's second youngest son and Eli's paramour, Puck, a servant boy of beauty, and triplets with sculpted bodies, I only had Ambrose by my side. Thus, I minimized my interactions with others on the barge, relying on Ambrose to handle the money transactions and negotiations for lodgings, while I remained covered in my travel cloak. It was an odd sight for a traveler to be covered in a travel cloak in early summer, but Ambrose had me stain it with mud and dirt before we boarded the barge in Kew to obscure the fact these were new quality clothes.

Reaching Oxford on the next day, we sought horses to head to Hatch Beauchamp Manor, where Eli had set up his administration of Somerset as duke of the land. According to Ambrose, the manor was a half-day ride from Oxford, so I hoped to arrive before nightfall. We rode along a forest trail that would lead to Bath. While we traveled, we were not attacked or followed, which I considered a miracle, as it seemed like every man and woman were spies in the palace of one faction or another, except my beloved Barnaby. The thought of him brought tears to my eyes, but I wiped them away. There would be time to grieve, but not now, I told myself.

When we neared the manor, there were two people on the road, dressed in unusual uniforms with the color of grass. They held no swords befitting knights, but they possessed short swords on their sides and a pocket with a metal pistol of steel that only noble officers held. At first, Ambrose and I assumed these were men that Eli had vested, so we approached them. Upon noticing us, they drew their pistols. One was close to me in age, red-haired like many members of my family, but he had a mischievous and rakish expression about him. The other, who I mistook for a young man at first glance was a woman with above average physique and masculine features.

"Halt, who are you?" the soldiers asked.

Still obscured in my travel cloak, I left my horse bowed graciously, "May I inquire as to which lord and lady I have the pleasure to address?"

The two looked at me, then laughed. The woman spoke with a refinement that belonged to someone of high noble birth, "My apologies dear lords, are you guests of our duke, who have become lost from the manor? May I see your pass, if you have one? That will help me locate your cottage and return you to proper quarters with food and lodgings."

Ambrose, leaving his horse stood beside me and shook his head, "No, we do not have one, we are not noble guests of Duke Eli. As you are a lady of poise and training, do you by chance know Miss Cordelia, the leader of Duke Eli's healing unit? She can vouch for my identity and maybe be able to assist us."

"Why would the duke’s healer be here on the road outside the manor? You two are very suspicious and could pose a danger to our beloved duke and these lands," the young man said as he approached me, "Why are you covering yourself?"

Without any show of reserve or consideration, he pulled off my travel cloak and head covering, then stood back with his arms crossed. He looked quite perplexed at my appearance.

The masculine-looking lady gasped, "You are...you are..."

Seeing as my face and features were no longer secrets anymore, I cleared my voice, "My name is Edward, and I am the former King of England, Wales, and Ireland."

The boy looked back at the girl, "Frances, is he King Edward?"

Frances, the woman soldier, replied, "I think so. His features are exactly like those that I remember from the sight of him at court as a servant of Lady Mary," she bowed to me, "King Edward, I am Frances Howard, a ward of Duke Eli of Somerset and currently a soldier in training to his forces."

Ambrose Dudley added weight to my claim, "He is indeed, and I am his escort, Ambrose Dudley. I hope this does not dissuade you from guiding us to the manor, as the king's presence must be kept secret until he is reunited with his sibling."

Frances Howard nodded, and then the boy with his hands crossed addressed us, "My name is Francis Drake from Devonshire. I have sworn my loyalty to Duke Eli, and I do not care if you are the duke's sibling or the king, if you come here with ill intent on our duke, I'll strike you down," he turned to Frances, "We can't bring him to Hatch Beauchamp, he'll be spotted just as easily by the servants just as you did now."

I spoke, "Young Francis, I assure you that I come with no intention of harming my sibling, the Duke of Somerset. On the contrary, I am seeking shelter from those who seek to bring harm to me, and I know that Eli is the only one who will protect me. Mary, my sister, has marched an army to London, and John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, is in control of London with his army. I know this is an inconvenience to you all. Is there a castle or fortress in the county that I may be sent to for protection?"

"The nearest castle is Taunton Castle, but it is currently under construction to repair the walls and moat," Frances answered.

I frowned, "Is there not another fort or castle that can provide refuge?"

Francis glared at me, "Yes, but we will need permission from our commander, Oberon. That will take a few days, how can we explain your arrival?"

Looking at his features, especially his red hair, which like mine was unusual among Englishmen, an idea came to my mind.

"What if I pretended to be your brother? We look similar enough, especially our unusual hair coloring. I could stay with you until I can be moved somewhere else. Ambrose could go to Hatch Beauchamp Manor and claim that he's visiting his brother Robert."

Frances looked at Francis, then nodded.

"Very well, but I'll keep a close eye on you," Francis answered, then led us out of the road toward the barracks of Hatch Beauchamp manor.

As we arrived, a tall and well-built man in black leather with a scar on his forehead, nose, and mouth, approached us. He was a frightening sight, and his voice was deep and raspy, "Why have you brought a guest without permission? We are already short of space for recruits and the duke will be displeased. You know he does not like unannounced arrivals."

Frances interceded, "Captain Tybalt, I am sorry, sir. This man is here unannounced, but his existence cannot be known to anyone. I will ask Commander Oberon to create written orders. Additionally, we must begin removing all the spies and informants within the duke’s realm immediately as this man's presence makes it imperative that no word of his arrival can reach Princess Mary."

Francis added, "Captain Tybalt, we would not wish to inconvenience our comrades without reason, I have volunteered to let him stay in my room for the time being. I'll tell everyone that he is my younger brother from Devonshire."

Captain Tybalt looked at me and then his two subordinates. He gave them a nod and a slight smile, then replied, "Alright, Frances, bring this man to the barracks, then have Commander Oberon meet me later."

After following Francis to the barracks, where there were rows of rooms with four or five men sharing tight quarters. I entered a small room with one small bed, a table, and a dresser cabinet. For the dwelling of a soldier, Francis Drake had several luxuries like linen sheets, books on various subjects, and a wide wardrobe that would be suited for sons of high-ranking nobles.

To settle the awkward energy between us, I asked him, "Why do you have all of these things? They seem unusual for a soldier, especially a commoner."

"You're the king, why do you want to know my business? Aren't you the one who should have the most stuff?"

I was shocked by his response, but his question was a valid one, so I explained, "My life as the king is filled with material goods when it comes to simple pleasures like clothing or meals. If I ask for something, such as a new book, it will be brought to me, and the royal coffers will pay for it. Nobles on the other hand have to purchase it through their wealth or earnings from their lands."

Francis frowned, "Duke Eli got me everything," he laughed, "At first, I thought he was just a sod looking for some fun with a Devonshire boy, but he never touched me that way. Though truth be told, I wouldn't have minded. When I was in Eli's manor, I would read books and ask questions. Eli was so kind, and Eli's servants and wards were good company as well. After a while, he taught me stuff like reading, writing, and math, then history. He spent more time schooling me than my father and mother. He sent me to spend some time as a soldier, so I could learn about discipline, strategy, and combat. I excelled in soldiering and specifically, I was keen on tactical and strategic operations. Duke Eli said that I would be sent to Plymouth in Devonshire next year to gain experience as a sailor on a coastal sloop. Duke Eli said that one day I would be Grand Admiral of the kingdom fleets and I had to learn everything about war to fulfill the duke’s lofty ambitions."

"Sounds like Duke Eli is quite a wonderful person," I said, hoping he would say more about my sibling as Puck had been very secretive about Eli's life. I had noticed Eli had changed slightly over the years, changing from a reserved demeanor to one of subtle force and power. I knew Eli had military forces in addition to the army reported to have joined Mary. If the full barracks with multiple men in a room and several castles being repaired or built are indications, then Eli had a substantial military under control, rivaling Dudley or even Mary's combined forces.

Francis continued, "He is! The duke is the most powerful and intelligent person I have ever met, yet he is kind, gentle, and forgiving. He has done more for me and the people of this country than any noble before him. I would die for him if it came down to it."

I felt envious of the young man's admiration, then I thought about my envy of Eli. My envy of Eli was unfair, and I was ashamed of my feelings. I knew that if Eli was born a true male at birth, I would not be heir to the throne, nor would Mary ever threaten the kingdom. If only mankind could look beyond the limitations of loins and seek virtues of the soul for true strength.

"How long have you been in Duke Eli's service?" I asked.

Francis replied enthusiastically, "One and half years since I was twelve and half years of age. I am fourteen years of age now."

I told him, "I am fifteen years of age myself."

He smiled at my words, then looked at me up and down, "Do you share Duke Eli's interest in lovers?"

I was surprised by his question, then I realized his intentions and blushed. I turned away and sat on his bed, "I have a male preference."

He came over and placed his arm on my shoulder, "You can share a bed with me if you want. Male companionship is quite common among Duke Eli's followers, unlike the rest of the realm."

It has been several days since Barnaby was poisoned to death. It was not the right time for me to start a relationship with someone else, even if I wanted to do it. However, based on his actions, Francis Drake appears to be a young man of uninhibited emotions for loyalty and desires. I doubt that such a man would ever dedicate himself to forming a bond with anyone beyond a moment of passion to relieve his bodily needs. I was not a common whore and wouldn't stoop to that level for such passions. Besides, there were far too many things occurring throughout the land from threats of internal unrest to external invasions.

I told Francis, "No thank you, but I do appreciate the offer."

Francis shrugged and smiled, "Oh well, if you ever change your mind, don't hesitate to ask," he winked at me, then sat next to me. We spent the next few hours discussing odds and ends. His education had not progressed as far as my own, but I could tell that he had a keen mind, especially for ancient adventures like Aeneas, Theseus, or Odysseus. I related more recent events to him regarding the tales from Spanish adventurers like Cortez, conqueror of the Aztec Empire, and Pizarro, Conqueror of the Inca Empire. While his eyes beamed with the tales of golden palaces and treasures, I was surprised when he frowned at the slaves-filling plantations that Spain had built in their conquered territories.

Slavery was a normal practice throughout history and most of these slaves were of lesser races with darker skin colors of bronze from the Americas, wheat from the Far East, or obsidian imported from East African Portuguese lands. English merchants made fortunes on dealing with slaves and transporting them for the Spanish across the Atlantic, including many from Devonshire, which Francis Drake called home.

I asked, "Why are you upset? Many kings and queens throughout the world have kept slaves or even made wars to capture and sell others into slavery."

Francis replied, "Duke Eli has taught us that the measure of wealth was not in the ownership of lands or men, but it is based on the ability of individuals to freely interact and produce wealth for themselves, their families, and their nations. Slaves are held for no other reason than to be property, while they are also human beings with the capacity to create wealth and improve nations. The Aztecs and Inca built cities and pyramids that rivaled the ancient Romans and Egyptians, why enslave their creativity and ability on farms, when they can do more."

I said, "If every slave owner frees their slaves, how can they farm their land?"

Francis replied, "Well, they are already using machines for war, why not make machines to handle the work? Duke Eli said that machines like the iron carriage could be equipped with hoes and scythes to farm and harvest crops. The airships can be used to spread seeds and ship produce promptly, increasing food supplies and reducing hunger for a nation's people. Slavery is merely a tool of nations that lack the imagination to improve themselves."

His words were wise, even for a fourteen-year-old. I spent the next few days in Francis' room, reading a few books, and occasionally heading out to dine with the other recruits and release my waste. I slept on the floor instead of the bed after the first night, since I had a horrible nightmare in the middle of the night in the soft bed. During those days, I wished I could participate in the military training exercises that Francis and the other recruits had, but I was dissuaded due to the threat of my identity being revealed. I was visited occasionally by Ambrose, Frances, and various military officers, who checked on my well-being.

On the evening of the fourth day, a younger boy came into the room unexpectedly and jumped with joy upon seeing me. I had never met him, but I knew my cousin Edward Seymore as we shared a few similarities. He invited me to visit and attend dinner at the main dining hall of Hatch Beauchamp Manor, to discuss my housing arrangements. While I was worried about safety, it was four days after I had arrived, and I believed that Eli's men had already made preparations for my safety. As we approached the manor, four people were waiting for us. One was a handsome and muscular man who was tall. He had long, light brown hair, which was braided back, and a smile that was brighter than a full moon. This was Oberon, who greeted me and followed alongside me. We entered the manor and went about touring the complex with Edward being a hospitable host. Servants were introduced and bowed upon hearing my name, while a few appeared to bow in a more subdued manner. After a full tour of the various rooms, stables, and a water heating system that Robert Dudley had built for Eli, we entered the dining hall.

Light chatter continued around the dining table. Then, the servants brought a stew of meats and vegetables along with bread and cheese. It was a standard opening course for a noble family, followed by a primary meat course, and some fruits for refreshments. As the servants ladled the stew into bowls around the table, everyone's eyes turned to me. I had thought they were waiting for me to give thanks as the highest-ranking noble.

"Thank you, Lord, for the gifts you have given to us. May we live to serve You and may Your Will be fulfilled," I spoke a common prayer before a meal as I did not feel like giving my usual grand speech at dinner among nobles. There was no reason to put on the trappings of royalty.

As soon as the prayer was completed, a servant boy poured some of the stew into my bowl, but before I picked up my spoon, Oberon raised his hand, and the three people who sat alongside Oberon rose with their pistols drawn at the servants.

Edward Seymore was shocked and pointed at Frances Howard, "What is the meaning of this?"

Frances Howard laughed, "Eddie, it's a ruse within a ruse. While all the servants with loyalties to Princess Mary have been removed that I knew of, I could not be sure that there may be more. As a result, another action was needed to draw out these servants, such as revealing the existence of King Edward in the Duke's land. Commander Oberon has ordered the several thousand men in the area around the manor to secure all routes of exit."

Oberon stepped forward, "I am acting under the authority of Duke Eli, who is the commander of these forces. All servants engaged in a conspiracy against the duke and his family have violated the laws of the land. Per the duke's order in times of war, these actions are considered treason against the realm and shall result in execution without trial."

One of the servants screamed, "This is not treason! The duke has no authority to execute anyone or detain his nobles in cottages around this manor. We were only following the orders of the duke’s sister, Princess Mary. When our lady hears of what you have done or when the knights of Duke Eli hear of the treatment of their families, your heads will roll, and the duke will lose his positions and holdings."

Oberon replied, "The Duke's power as a vassal lord extends far beyond what you think. The nobles that followed him on campaign represent a mere fraction of his true forces and might. You have already betrayed the trust of your lord, who has been kind and generous to you. You should have kept your loyalty to him and not taken advantage of his trust, but you did, so you must pay the price for your treasonous actions."

The servants were dragged out of the room.

Understanding I was used as a pawn, I was indignant at Frances Howard and Commander Oberon, "How dare you treat me like that? I am Duke Eli's brother and your king?"

Commander Oberon answered, "That may be true, but the duke’s orders are to be followed without question. You will find that the duke is a fair, but firm ruler, who does not allow those who betray him, their freedom easily."

Frances Howard added, "I was the one who created this ploy to remove the remaining enemies of my duke. If I may be so bold, King Edward, but your interest was also improved by such actions. These servants intended to kill you for their master, Princess Mary, and implicate Duke Eli. By saving your life and eliminating the conspirators, we serve both interests."

I found Frances Howard, who I had at first thought was a considerate, if masculine, lady of noble disposition, was a ruthless aide to my sibling Eli. I was merely a pawn to be moved and used for her whims, something that can easily be sacrificed as necessary as well. While I did move to Hatch Beauchamp Manor and stayed alongside my cousin Edward Seymore, I never felt safe for the next year until Eli was released from the Tower of London.

Copyright © 2023 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Just a place for readers to ask questions, ponder alt-history in this universe, and have fun. Not sure if I have a lot of readers in this alt-history 16th-century English setting novel or not, but I thought I'd open it up for discussions. Eli is not Elizabeth I, nor a true male heir, but it plays out with interesting what-ifs based on history. An intersex/non-binary standpoint is something new for me to write, so I appreciate it if any NBs want to point out things to me for improvement. I'v
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A very interesting chapter to say the least...then there is the following, I shudder to think some folks might get their hands dirty...

I asked, "Why are you upset? Many kings and queens throughout the world have kept slaves or even made wars to capture and sell others into slavery."

Francis replied, "Duke Eli has taught us that the measure of wealth was not in the ownership of lands or men, but it is based on the ability of individuals to freely interact and produce wealth for themselves, their families, and their nations. Slaves are held for no other reason than to be property, while they are also human beings with the capacity to create wealth and improve nations. The Aztecs and Inca built cities and pyramids that rivaled the ancient Romans and Egyptians, why enslave their creativity and ability on farms, when they can do more."

I said, "If every slave owner frees their slaves, how can they farm their land?"

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Wow, what a chapter.

Thanks Chris

3 hours ago, drsawzall said:

A very interesting chapter to say the least...then there is the following, I shudder to think some folks might get their hands dirty...

I asked, "Why are you upset? Many kings and queens throughout the world have kept slaves or even made wars to capture and sell others into slavery."

Francis replied, "Duke Eli has taught us that the measure of wealth was not in the ownership of lands or men, but it is based on the ability of individuals to freely interact and produce wealth for themselves, their families, and their nations. Slaves are held for no other reason than to be property, while they are also human beings with the capacity to create wealth and improve nations. The Aztecs and Inca built cities and pyramids that rivaled the ancient Romans and Egyptians, why enslave their creativity and ability on farms, when they can do more."

I said, "If every slave owner frees their slaves, how can they farm their land?"

It's one of those important character details that can't be explained from just the perspective of Eli alone in the main story. The historical Francis Drake was noted as a lover of adventure and fortune, but few historians highlighted his involvement in the slave trade, which even the Spanish authorities considered abhorrent. For Edward like many Englishmen of this era, the concepts of slavery and racism due to superiority views (reinforced by a rising English Protestant zealotry) were very prevalent. What Eli introduced to a young Francis Drake is radically different than the norms of the era, while Edward VI being raised and educated under the new English Protestant value system is far more similar to the views held by most English nobles.

Like I said these short stories are meant to be a window into the wider world of Pride and Power. It's a universe with diverse views and different perspectives.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..