Jump to content
    Yanks13
  • Author
  • 7,202 Words
  • 1,446 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Parallels - 7. Fury Unleashed

Chapter 7 – Fury Unleashed

 

 

 

 

I awoke and saw Aaron wasn’t in my bed anymore and my room door was wide open once again. I rubbed eyes, desperately trying to wake up. I glanced at my phone and saw that my alarm wasn’t to go off for another five minutes. Maybe knowing Aaron was sleeping with me and had left stirred me. Damn brotherly protective instincts. I tiredly grabbed some clothes from my closet and dresser and headed towards the bathroom.

“Morning Theo,” Aaron said rather brightly – even for one that had talked with me for about a half hour in the middle of the night. Sometimes, his morning personality made me want to strangle him. Right now, I just wanted to pee. He started to brush his teeth and averted his eyes as I relieved myself – something we’ve always done in cases like this. We have both seen each other in various states of dress and undress, but we try and respect each other’s privacy as much we can. Much like him stopping when I told him I was naked in my closet when I finished my climb up the ancient chimney.

I finished and tucked myself back in while I saw Aaron spit out his toothpaste. “Morning Aaron,” I mumbled, just remembering that he greeted me what felt like an hour ago. He just ruffled my hair and giggled.

“I think someone needs a wake-up shower,” he said, still smiling. “How much sleep did you get?”

“Probably like… three hours. Total,” I grumbled. Aaron frowned.

“Alright, I won’t keep you. See you downstairs for breakfast.” He trotted off and disappeared. I stripped off and stepped into the shower, starting off with a blast of cold water. As soon as the arctic needles stabbed me, my eyes flew open. I quickly added some hot water and the chatters faded away. Ten minutes and another cold blast of water later, I walked down into the kitchen more alert and a bit livelier. But I slowed to a trot before I came to a complete stop.

Mom and Aaron were eating breakfast. There was no plate for me.

This is the first time ever Mom never made breakfast for me. I watched her as her eyes stayed on Aaron the whole time if she wasn’t reading the morning paper. She never once greeted me or asked if I was hungry. I checked the stove – there wasn’t any left for me. I started to ask, but I stopped – she… probably wouldn’t answer me, even if I did. Remembering seeing some oatmeal in a cupboard once, I grabbed a packet and made a quick bowl.

I sat it down and Aaron’s eyes met mine while Mom was reading. He looked like he was ready to cry at the fact I was eating apple cinnamon oatmeal – my least favorite kind – while he had a full plate of eggs, bacon, sausage, and toast. He grabbed a piece of bacon and started to hand it my way. Before I could get it, Mom smacked his hand with the bacon, making him withdraw it. One of his tears did slide down his face. I just bowed my head in silence.

Mom folded up the paper. “Hurry up, dear. I need to get you off to school soon. I have to head in a bit early for a presentation today.” Her voice was directed solely at Aaron.

“Mom,” he said sadly. “I-I… I’m full.” He looked over at me and began to slide his plate my way. “Here Theo, I know you’ll like–” Mom cut him off, picked his plate up before I could even think to steal a morsel, and took it into the kitchen. The sound of the garbage disposal ground up any of Aaron’s remaining food.

And any apparent love my mom had for me.

I tried. I really tried not to cry as she scraped all of that good food into the sink. I really tried not to sniffle as she rinsed his plate off and grabbed her bag while saying to him, “Alright Aaron. Time to go. Grab your bag.” She waited by the kitchen door, slightly off to the side. I started to wolf down the rest of my oatmeal. I felt that if I wasn’t in the car by the time Aaron got in, she’d… drive off without me. While that could be a good thing – getting a day off from school – I doubt I’d see the end of that action. Most likely she wouldn’t call me off sick and then I’d get in trouble for an unexcused absence and a call to the house. To her.

Mom was at the front door and just as I was about to dash up the stairs for my shoes and bag, Aaron had brought them down for me. He tossed them down at my feet as he handed me my bag. I heard him sniffle as I quickly slid them on. Just as he grabbed his coat, I couldn’t hold the love I had for my brother back and I hugged him tightly to me for a second. I whispered, “Thank–” But Mom ripped him out of my arms before I could finish whispering and quickly ushered him to the door. The kid just looked bewildered and I couldn’t dwell on it just yet even if the action hurt me more. I grabbed my coat and was hot on their heels.

I got into the car and just before Aaron climbed into the back with me like usual, Mom’s voice cut him down quick. “Aaron, honey. Get in the front seat.” She said it nicely enough, but both of us heard the undertone she used. It left no room for arguing. The last time she used that tone was with Dad when he tried to get full custody of Aaron and me. After that, he just… gave up and the two settled on joint custody. At least until Mom changed her mind later and won full custody of the two of us.

I didn’t want Mom to see my tears, to see what damage she was doing to me. So I didn’t meet her eyes at all in her mirror and just watched the countryside whiz past us. The closer we got to school, the quicker a new fear took hold, replacing the one Mom instilled in me.

What is Jeremy going to do when he sees me?

The car pulled up to the school and I jumped out, needing some air. No one had spoken in that car. Only the sounds of the radio and Aaron crying as silently as he could found me. I waited around a bit for Aaron to get out, but Mom and he were talking in the car. Rather, she was almost yelling at him and he was trying to calm her down. Eventually, he got out and once his door was slammed shut she peeled out and sped away in a hurry.

“Why is she being a bitch?!” Aaron shouted angrily as he wiped off his face. “I don’t understand what either of us did to deserve this! Especially you, Theo!” He turned to me and I saw the fire in his eyes. “You’re so kind and nice… I just don’t get what the fuck crawled up her ass and died!” I couldn’t help it.

I laughed.

“Shut up,” he pouted as I still laughed. “It’s not like I don’t swear.”

“Wh-When you do… I’m sorry Aaron. It’s just… you do it so infrequently it catches me off guard.” I pulled him to me as we walked into the school. “I really needed that laugh and smile. Even if it’s only temporary.” The laughter and amusement faded fast as everything between Mom and Jeremy crashed back to the forefront of my mind. We walked into the cafeteria. Jeremy sat in the same chair as yesterday, but had more of a blank look on his face. He didn’t see me walk in just yet.

Aaron stopped when I did. “Did you want me to talk to him first? Maybe make sure he doesn’t… run or something from you?”

I sighed. “I appreciate you wanting to do that for me, but… I-I think I need to face him. Alone, if you don’t mind.” Aaron nodded in understanding. He gave me a brief side-hug.

“I’ll wait for you here, Theo.” He tapped my chin. “Go steal his heart.” I chuckled.

“Thanks. I think.” Aaron sat down at an empty table just inside the door. I straightened up and pushed Mom from my mind and started over towards him. My pace was brisk at first but the closer I got to him, the smaller my stride became. He turned and saw me as I almost decided to turn and run, not ready to face the fallout of what went down between us in my library. His face was impassive.

“Sit. We need to talk.” His tone wasn’t the friendly one I was used to. But I noticed there wasn’t a trace of anger or derision in his voice either. I… I can settle for neutrality. Way better than him wanting to stab me.

I took a seat across from him. “Um… h-hey,” I said tentatively.

“About what happened between us in your library,” he started off. Right out of the gates we hit the main issue.

“J-Jeremy, I can explain. It–”

“Theo, I don’t care if you are that way or not. If you are gay, fine. That’s great. I won’t give you a hard time for it. I won’t even tell anyone that you are. I don’t do that. But… as for our…” He bristled a bit before he steeled himself and stared me right in the eyes. “It won’t happen again. I can’t let it happen again.”

“Can’t… what does that mean?” I asked, a little more confused than hurt so far.

“I can’t talk about it,” he said quickly. “I just can’t. If I do…” Again he steeled himself. He muttered something under his breath.

“Why can’t we talk about this?” I asked. “It seems at this point, you know a hell of a lot more about me than I do about you. Aren’t we friends? Don’t friends–”

He closed his eyes tightly, as if blocking something out. “I-I can’t be a friend to you, Theo. I just can’t.”

It was like being hit by a truck. “Wh… Wh-Why not?!” I almost shouted, the pain tipping the balance.

“I just can’t!” He shouted. I might’ve seen tears coming from the sides of his tightly shut eyes, but I couldn’t really tell what kind they were. He stood up fast, knocking his chair down. The few students in the room fell silent. He roughly grabbed his bag and started walking away in a hurry.

I couldn’t believe that he was… walking away like this! He said he doesn’t care if I am gay even if I didn’t tell him, but… is this how he backs up what he says?! He just walks away from his friends like this? Isn’t that lonely? I know how that feels! My own mother won’t talk to me and seems to hate me! If this is how he wants to be… fine!

I stood up, knocking my own chair to the ground as well. “You know what?! F-Fuck you, Greene!” I shouted angrily, just before he left the room. He stopped cold, but didn’t turn around. “Go ahead, just walk away! Just like everyone does around me, it seems!” Slowly, I watched as he turned around, confused but still heated. “Yeah, you’re not the only one to abandon me. You know… I’m not a mama’s boy, but when… wh-when your own mother simply thinks you don’t exist anymore…” The hardness to his face melted as I had chosen my word well. “What’s the point?! She used to make me breakfast in the morning, but today, she didn’t! It’s not the fact that I can’t cook or do it myself, it was just something she did. Making sure her sons were fed. But today, she didn’t. I ate lukewarm oatmeal while my brother had an overflowing plate of eggs, bacon, sausage. And when he got full and tried to give it to me…” I kicked a nearby empty chair hard. It clattered to the ground. “She threw it away! In front of me!”

“Theo…” Jeremy said. He tried to come back, a sense of guilt flowing onto his face. I cut him off and made him stop.

“No. Don’t. You just… don’t get it.” I made a decision right then and there. I turned to the few students in the room. “I got you all a nice, juicy rumor you all can spread around. One about me.” I said as I saw Jeremy about to shout at me, but he stopped. I had the room’s attention. Even a few more kids walked into the room and sat down, wondering what I was up to. A harsh laugh escaped my lips. “I don’t care anymore. I just don’t. I know I’m one of the kids that lives at the crazy man’s house. Up on Kester Hill. Well, you can add gay to that list. Yeah, I like guys. Go ahead – try and beat me up. Kick the shit out of me. Do whatever. I… I don’t care about anything anymore.” I turned back to Jeremy who looked white as a sheet. I stepped closer and lowered my voice, just so only Jeremy could hear me. “I thought I loved you. But if you’re just like the rest of these kids and looking to take but not give… well then, like I said. Fuck you. I’m done.” I grabbed my bag. Aaron tried to get up and follow me as I walked past him. “No, Aaron. Please. I… I-I need some time.” I didn’t bother to see if he responded. But he didn’t follow.

The stares around the school were worse than when they thought I was just the kid at the crazy house. Now I’m the gay kid at the crazy house. But I was ready to fight today. I wanted it. Bring it on! One of the kids in the hall close to when first period would start tried to check me into a wall of lockers. He found a fist in his eye and a kick to his stomach. I just walked on as he crouched on the ground trying to catch his breath.

All my fire fizzled when Jeremy almost ran into me.

He looked at me, but did something I wasn’t used to seeing from him. He hid his eyes from me and walked into the room. He sat in his normal seat. I didn’t since we didn’t have assigned seats. I sat in the front right corner of the room whereas he sat near the back left corner. I didn’t even bother to look back at him.

“Excuse me,” some girl with a snotty attitude said. “You’re in my seat.”

“Find a new one,” I sneered, my anger coming back, if a bit more subdued than last time. “I don’t see your name on it.” She scoffed and flicked her head of hair almost into my face.

“Whatever,” she said as she took a different seat.

I didn’t pay attention at all in class. I think I was even called upon a few times, but I just ignored Miss White. She either didn’t care or didn’t want to wait on me, so she moved on each time. I might have shrugged to ward her away, I don’t know. Other than those few moments, the rest was a blur.

Once the bell rung, I tried to get out in a hurry. Jeremy had other things in mind.

He grabbed my arm. “Th-Theo… I-I didn’t–”

“The next time you touch me,” I almost growled. “This,” I raised my fist, “will be in your eye. You’ve made yourself very clear to me before school started. You can’t have friends. So I guess I’m not a friend. You should be happy – you have what you want. That’s your only warning.” I ripped my arm from his grasp. “Go back to helping everyone else out.” I walked out.

The rest of the morning followed a similar pattern, with me getting angrier as time marched on. I swore a path of flames followed me everywhere I stepped. Between first and second period, a senior got in my face and pushed me around a bit. I was lucky in that he wasn’t all that big for one and floored him quick before I moved on. Between second and third, I got jumped by two freshmen, but after the initial surprise and taking a few punches, I kneed the stronger of the two in the balls and punched the other in the stomach. Repeatedly.

My side was hurting a bit from the cheap shots I took as I semi-limped into the cafeteria. My anger and foul mood didn’t allow hunger to make itself known. I found a table I knew didn’t get anyone used by from this lunch and I claimed it as mine for at least the day. No one seemed to either want to talk to me or even make fun of me – I had no surprises between third and fourth or during my walk into the cafeteria. I grabbed some of my homework out and decided since I isolated myself into social purgatory, I might as well make use of my extra time. As I sat my book down, I saw both Aaron and Jeremy leave the cafeteria together. My brother… looked rather worried. Even through my rage, he still calmed me somewhat.

Half way through the period, I heard at least a couple of people near me tried to get close, but I either ignored them or just glared at them. My mind couldn’t focus, not with knowing that Aaron was talking with Jeremy. What could my brother have to say to my locally ex-best friend? Thinking like that made me pull out my phone, needing to talk to someone. And that someone would be Shane. If I remembered his schedule right before we found out about the move… he should be on his fifteen minute break between second and third period. Damn time zones – I almost screwed it up and thought his time was the same as mine.

“Theo? Why are you calling me during school?” Shane asked. “Not that I don’t mind hearing your voice again, bro.”

“Sh-Shane…” I said. That was all I got out.

“Dude! What’s wrong? Please don’t tell me that you’re like dying or something! Or that you got beat up and are really, really hurt!” I could just imagine the look of worry on his face when he heard my voice. I must have sounded really broken or sad.

“N-No,” I sighed. “Nothing like that. It’s just… my life fucking sucks.”

“I don’t like the tone in your voice, Theo. You’re scaring me man.”

“Shane, everything is all fucked up. I can’t come over to talk to you about things like I used to because there’s an entire United States between me and you; Mom is summarily ignoring me while not making me breakfast like she normally does; she’s yelling at Aaron for some God damn shit I most likely did and she won’t even let me hug him anymore; he’s trying his damnedest to keep me sane while my supposed best friend here kissed me last night and now can’t be friends with me for reasons he doesn’t want to talk about; and after talking with that friend and him saying all that just a little bit ago, I outed myself to the whole school.” I had said that all in one breath and pretty fast – I hope he got all that because I don’t want to repeat it. Especially the last part – I did lower my voice for that last bit, only to make sure I’m not a complete ass to Jeremy. Part of me still cares really deeply for that boy. “On top of all that, there’s the stigma of the house we moved into where the townies think it was owned by a raving lunatic so of course both Aaron and I are ready to go bonkers on this whole place. Just because our one great-great uncle might have been a tad eccentric.”

“Shit. That’s… all sorts of fucked up dude,” he said with a nervous half-laugh. “I-I don’t think there’s anything I can do for you, sadly. I mean, aside from giving you a shoulder, like always. I mean… there’s–” He just cut himself off in mid-sentence. “You did what?! You outed yourself?! Why man? It’s something I wouldn’t have ever expected from you!”

“I’m tired of all the bullshit. Tired of Mom’s behavior Tired of hiding. Shane… I’m just tired. Of everything.”

“Th-Theodore… you promise me right now… right fucking now that you’re not thinking–”

“God, Shane, no! I’m not going to kill myself.” I rolled my eyes at the mere thought. “I’m just bitching and having a period or something.” A strangled laugh came from him.

“Oh thank God! I thought I was gonna have to find a way to get a plane ticket to out there from the folks without letting Ian find out about it, otherwise he’d be pissed if I could get to see you and he not Aaron.”

“Shane… I really miss you right now. The last few days have been… just totally screwy and you were one of the things that kept me level-headed.” I cringed mentally. “I’ve been in like four fights already. And that’s just today.”

“Damn it Theo! You’re letting that hot head of yours just go crazy! Like I told you before – pick your battles. You’ll be too tired to fight the really big ones.”

“I know… it’s just that I’m so… frustrated right now!” I slammed my free hand into the table. “My life has never gone right. Scratch that. Almost never.”

“Thank you,” Shane cut in.

“Just once I’d like my life to be easy, if only for like a week out of the year. Is a week too much to ask for?”

“Personally, I think you should have lifetime coverage, but no one does.” I heard a faint bell in the background. “Look, I gotta get to class. You keep your head up, you hear me Wentz?”

“I will.”

“Give the biggest, bad-ass bully that crosses your path a right hook for me. Okay?” I laughed a bit.

“Right. Later Shane. Thanks… thanks for letting me vent.”

“Sure dude. It… It was good to hear your voice again, even if you only left like a month ago or whatever. I miss you bro. Later.” He hung up.

Lunch ended without further incident. I think Jeremy tried to approach me as I headed towards the only class we don’t share but I detoured through a hallway that I wasn’t quite familiar with. As I realized I waltzed into the upper classmen hall, I found it was too late to turn back around – almost all the eyes in the hall were on me.

Most of my anger had vanished after my talk with Shane. He helped me to re-center myself a bit and just hang onto that feeling of calm for a bit longer. Maybe I could avoid another fight for the rest of the day. I actually hoped for that at this point.

“Excuse me, are you a bit lost sweetie?” A rather tall girl with dazzling blue eyes and shoulder-length hair filled my view. “You look a little young to be mixing it up with the juniors and seniors.”

“I… uh… just made a wrong turn, that’s all,” I said. Jeremy’s sister was really nice so far and he described her to a tee when I had that now vanished fight with his cousin.

Before I could escape she smiled a bit. “Aw, you must be the kid that Jeremy won’t shut up about. I see it now – just as he described. By the way, sweetie – you are adorable.”

“Th-Thanks… I think…” I said with a serious blush going on.

“Here come with me for a second.” Before I could protest that I’d be late, she stopped me. “Don’t worry. I have a bit of pull with the teachers. See, I help a lot of kids out around here. Like my brother, if you haven’t guessed.”

“Does your brother have any really close friends?” I asked her as she directed us towards a lounge-like area. As soon as she sat down with me, any other students left, leaving us along. The others must really respect her that much if they’re willing to just up and move on her mere presence.

She slightly frowned. “Not really.” She eyed me up a bit. “I don’t think he’s told you yet – that’s for him to do, sweetie.” She sighed, but more in the way of just being tired and not having anything to do with me. “So, you really admitted that you’re gay to a cafeteria filled with about twenty students?”

“Um, I was angry at Jeremy. He said he can’t have friends. Whatever he meant by that. It… it really hurt to hear him say that.”

“He tries to be a good kid, sweetie. But all I can say is that a few things have happened to my brother that, while he likes to help people, he doesn’t allow himself to get too close to others. You’re the first kid he talked about for more than a few minutes in a long time. He actually went on and on about you – it surprised me a bit.” She smiled and placed a hand on my knee. “Sweetie, it’s nothing personal, what he did. He’s just afraid of getting hurt again.”

“I asked him to tell me. I want to understand what happened to him. But he won’t let me in.”

“Did you tell him that you loved him?”

“Um… y-yeah. Kinda did,” I said embarrassedly. “Heat of the moment thing. But I meant it. He’s so cool and nice. He’s like a friend I knew back home, but like… refined or something. I liked my friend like that – he was straight. But… I probably ruined our friendship because I want something more from your brother. And I don’t know if can reciprocate it or not.”

“He won’t care one way or the other about that, knowing my kid brother. But… like I said. He needs to tell you himself. Just give him some time. I don’t think he’ll write you off totally just yet, sweetie. He just wants some breathing room, to figure out his next step.” She stood up and held a hand out to me. I accepted as she helped me to my feet. “Alright, I’ll walk you to your class. What do you have?” I told her. “I know exactly where that is.” And she did, and explained to the teacher that she needed me for a question or two regarding how I’ve adjusted so far to the school before she disappeared. The teacher, surprisingly, just nodded and asked for me to take my seat.

Jeremy kept his distance from me in the remaining classes we shared and I kept my distance from him. The kiss we shared must have really spooked him. Maybe he was never kissed by a boy before and he just didn’t know how to handle it. Even so, it was my first kiss – well, my first kiss in Pennsylvania. Almost keep forgetting about the one Shane and I shared before I left. I sighed, thinking about the kiss Jeremy and I shared. I couldn’t help it.

I wanted more. Much more.

The bell rang, ending the day and I just couldn’t believe it went by that fast. I saw Aaron standing by my locker looking worried. I noticed him stare past me, making me turn around. It was Jeremy following right behind me. “Theo I need to apologize to you.” A little resentment came back, but I managed to bite my tongue. “Look, I think I need a bit of time to… think about things. But you were right – I haven’t been totally open with you. There’s some stuff I have to tell you, now that I see how I’ve been acting.”

“And how’s that?” I said calmly.

“Like an ass. I’m just gonna leave it at that I’ve been hut before – a few too many for my tastes – and I-I’m a little afraid to open up fully to others. You’ll understand soon though. Can… can I come by after school tomorrow? Maybe even spend the night, if you’ll have me?” He looked at me a little pleadingly. “If, after I tell you what I should’ve and you don’t want me around anymore… I’ll leave. No questions asked. And I won’t bother you anymore.”

“Um, sure,” I said, feeling a bit put out. Not by his inviting himself over, but the fact that he looked… resigned to a fate that he didn’t want. It made me want to know right now, but he needed tomorrow to think on stuff – maybe I did too. He started to walk away. “Jeremy?”

“Yeah?” He didn’t turn around.

“About the one thing I said… about me thinking I loved you… I meant it, with no thinking needed. I hope that doesn’t weird you out or anything.”

“You’re not the first guy to hit on me,” he said emptily. “I’ll say more tomorrow.” He walked out of the school, most likely heading for his bus.

“Theo, are you… better?” Aaron asked. He bit his lower lip.

“I was angry earlier. Really angry. But now… I’m okay for the time being.” I sighed. “At least until… I get in the car. Man…” I punched my locker in a small burst of anger. “I wish we had a way home from school that didn’t involve Mom right now.”

“We… w-we probably should go wait outside. We don’t need her angrier than she probably already is.”

“You’re right little bro.” I wrapped my arm around his neck. “Um… you haven’t gotten any flak about my little, uh, ‘announcement’ this morning, have you?”

He shrugged and I felt my arm rise with his shoulders. “It was split about evenly between the crazy uncle and your orientation. Just stares or maybe a couple of questions. I mean… the worst of it was when–” He stopped himself and lowered his head. “You know.”

“Yeah. I do.” Most of the kids were gone at this point, either whisked away in their extracurriculars or en route to their houses via the buses. Normally at this time only one car pulls up into the now vacant bus lane – our mom. But today… two cars pulled up. Mom in hers and a taxi right behind. The passenger of the taxi leapt out of the vehicle and threw a wad of bills at the driver before that passenger looked around, his eyes settling on mine.

“Ch-Chris?!” I shouted. “What the hell are–”

He rushed in front of me and grabbed my head, turning it all around, looking for something. “Oh thank God you’re not dead!” He pulled me to him fiercely and wouldn’t let go of me. Aaron stayed by my side, even when Mom’s car started honking. Eventually, she got out of the car as the cab pulled away.

“Aaron Michael! You get your ass in this car right–” Her advancing towards us stopped the moment Chris cut her off and making her finally see him.

“You… no. You have no right to talk right now,” Chris said as he walked up to her. His finger was in her face while she tried to understand why all of her sons were before her. “Get in your car. Call your office and tell them you’re suddenly feeling down or one of them needs your attention. We’re going to your new place and we’re going to settle this. Now.” I had never seen my eldest brother so visibly angry. He literally quaked with rage, paling my earlier tantrums in school in comparison. Before she could react, he walked over to her car and sat down in the passenger seat. Not wanting to be left in her field of view, I dashed into the vehicle as well. In only a few more moments, all four of us headed for home with me having just as many questions as to the nature of Chris’s unplanned visit.

The car ride never felt more nerve-wracking. I half expected Mom to just drive the car into the nearest solid tree or off the highest hill. That or the explosive energy I felt building between mother and her first born. An errant spark of static electricity would be enough to set things off – that’s how volatile I felt the ride to be.

Mom pulled the car into the driveway and I was the first one out. Chris and Aaron were a bit faster than Mom. My older brother made it a point to keep himself between me and Mom. He glanced down at me a few times and I saw something in his eyes I don’t think I liked. A side of Chris I never wanted to see, perhaps.

As soon as we all entered the house, Mom went to use the phone while Chris ushered us into the living room once we told him where it was. He sat down and patted the sofa next to him as he looked at me. “You’re staying by my side the whole time, understand?” His voice had that same edge Mom used on the way to school. But somehow, I understood that it was for my benefit. I just nodded and took my seat. He pulled me to him and kissed my head. “Let me deal with Mom, okay?” Again, I just nodded.

“Christopher, you better have a damn good reason–” Mom started as she entered the room. Chris was quick to cut her off. He seethed next to me.

“You… fucking, heartless bitch!” Chris shouted at her as he glared at her. “Do you know what kind of stress you’re causing your third son?!” He suddenly jumped and covered the remaining distance between the two of them. “Or have you forgotten in your old age? That you have three living sons?”

“L-Living?” I couldn’t help but ask.

“Oh fucking great! You never told them, did you? Did you?!” Chris paced before the three of us in rare form. “I called you last night to make sure you’d tell them! They have a right to know, damn it!” He gripped his head for a moment in frustration. “Looks like I have to pick up the slack. Again. You never did become fully stable after it, you know? I was fucking six when you went nearly psycho on me and Dad!”

“I swore I’d never think of it again,” she said with that same steel in her voice. “But this… this faggot brought it back up!” She glared at me. Hard. “You are no longer my son. I will kick your ass first before I kick you out into the streets!” She tried to step around Chris but he blocked her. He lowered his face next to hers and burned a hole through her.

“You so much as touch him and you’ll wish you died when giving birth to the first Theodore Allen Wentz!” I watched as Mom balked before she backed out of the room slowly.

My own mother. Hates me because I’m gay. How did she know?! Did she subconsciously hear it on our first ride to the house? Or maybe she just knew the whole time and denied it to herself until now? Maybe she got a call at work after my stunt this morning, warning her of the degenerate she’s been living with? My worst fear… coming true. My mommy… she hates me for how I was born!

I started to cry.

“He’s gotten to you too. I heard you both talking that one day. Before school.” She looked at Aaron, almost stricken mixed with a healthy dose of pleading. “Aaron honey. Did he really get to you? Did he corrupt you and make you think evil thoughts? It’s unnatural… what he is, you know? An abomination. He’s probably contaminated you and you don’t even know it.” A manic look crossed her face. “Aaron dear? Will you come and help Mommy with something? Maybe we could go for ice cream like we did the other day. You’d like that, right?”

“N-No Mom,” he said with a resoluteness I wasn’t expecting. But I could still tell that he was having trouble saying what he was to Mom. “Theo is my brother. I-I love him. No questions asked. I-I love him as he is. Not what you think he should be.” He had to choose a side – me or Mom. And he chose to stand with me. While it didn’t do nearly enough to fill the black hole growing inside me at my own mother disowning me and wishing me dead, it dulled the pain enough to at least slow my tears.

An angry scowl crossed her face. “You’re all going to hell! Fucking fag lovers! You’ll all burn in hell for this and I’ll fucking laugh down at all of you from heaven!” She disappeared into the house.

Chris turned to me and grabbed me again. “Teddy Bear… I’m so sorry. I-I’m so sorry she acted like this. But… I’ve been afraid she’d snap sooner or later.”

“Sh-She hates m-me!” I sobbed onto his shoulder. “Sh-Sh-She really hates me! Oh God! What am I g-g-gonna do?! She’s gonna kick me out!” I couldn’t cling to Chris enough. My world was falling apart. New area. New friend that almost became an enemy of sorts. My own mother thinks… she thinks I’m a monster!

“Th-Theo…” I heard Aaron cry and sniffle as he came up from behind and wrapped his arms around my waist. “Pl-Please… tr-try and stop cr-crying. Please?”

Chris just shushed me softly in my ear as both of my brothers consoled me. None of us moved for quite some time, wrapped in a nice little bundle. “Oh shit!” Chris shouted as he pushed both me and Aaron away from him. A butcher’s knife thrust in the area I was just in.

“Stand still faggot!” She cackled wildly. “I’m going to send you to hell myself! But maybe I’ll send one of your fucking sympathizers down there first!” Her eyes locked onto her Aaron and she slashed the butcher’s knife.

“Aaron, no!” I shouted as I pushed him out of harm’s way while using my forearm to deflect the blade. I grimaced in pain as the razor edge cut a lengthy gash into my right arm. Aaron stumbled a bit as I grabbed my now bleeding arm protectively. Mom’s eyes were fixated on me. I wasn’t sure what I was feeling at that moment. Most likely fear, but with a huge sense of anguish. First my mom hates me because I’m gay and now… she’s gone totally crazy and is trying to kill all of her own sons! Starting with me!

“Good!” She yelled. “Bleed yourself straight to hell!” She raised the knife again. “Let’s speed things up though!”

A wailing sound echoed throughout the house.

Mom stopped her thrust. The sound grew louder and louder and more horrific before it just ceased. But a rumbling replaced the moaning. The crazed glint came back in her eyes and she tried for her lunge again.

The floor just in front of me ripped open.

Mom lost her balance and faltered, the blade just nicking my jeans and causing a small cut in my left thigh. The rift in the ground between me and Mom widened just enough. The motion of the earth shaking knocked her more off balance.

Before any of us could act, she fell into the hole.

I glanced at my brothers, both looking a bit shaken up and what just happened but otherwise okay. All three of us peered into the weird abyss created in the house. It was too dark to–

I blinked and the hole was gone. As if it never happened.

Mom was still nowhere present. Totally gone…

Like Trevor.

“Wh… What just happened?” Chris asked. Shakily, he reached for where I saw the tear in the hardwood. His hand pressed against it before he got back to his feet and stood on it. It was firmly solid. He shook his head. “Theo, let me see your arm.” I moved my hand and saw it covered in my own blood. “That looks kinda deep.”

“Chris… it hurts,” I whined, crying from the physical and emotional pain I felt. Just to stop it all… I wished I had fallen into that hole.

“I know it does, Teddy. Here… let’s get you to a hospital. I think you need stitches.”

“Th-Theo…” Aaron said. “D-Did Mom… just… like he did?”

“I-I think so, b-bud,” I said. I took a step and felt a bit dizzy. “Whoa…” Chris scooped me up in his arms.

“Aaron, get the door after you get the keys to the car. Hand them to me and get me a towel or two. Can you do all that? In reverse order though. I want to try and stop his bleeding as best I can.”

“Y-Yeah. I got it.” Aaron ran off and thundered towards the bathroom on the first floor.

“Chris… I-I’m feeling pretty weak,” I said. The dizzy, light-headed feeling started to get worse.

He looked down at me as his hand was wrapped around my oozing cut. Some of my blood squished through his fingers. “You’re going to be okay, Teddy,” he said, painfully sad. “I promise. J-Just stay with me, okay? You might feel like sleeping, but you can’t. It’s from losing a good bit of blood.” I saw his tears dripping from his chin pretty regularly. Am… am I that bad off? Am I going to die from blood loss?

Aaron threw the towels at Chris. He took his now bloody hand off my arm and placed one of them around my injured arm. He squeezed that arm almost painfully. “H-Here’s the k-keys. I-I found them… b-by her f-fading p-purse.” Neither of us flinched at what he meant. There were other things to worry about.

“Forget the keys. Call for an ambulance and hurry Aaron!” He picked me up. “I-I don’t know what else to do… You can’t leave me again Teddy! You’re not allowed to!”

“Ch…Chris…” I said weakly. I had to say it before I passed out. I could feel my eyes lolling into my head. “When we… get… to the hos… hospital… Y…You have to lie… Trust m-me… and A-Aaron… on that.” I swallowed. “Th… They won’t know… Mom…. ex… exist…”

Copyright © 2012 Yanks13; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow. What a quick turnaround. I hope everything turns out okay and I wonder what the hell happened.

 

Great chapter! I can't wait until the next update.

Link to comment

Whoa dude - what the fuck just happened? I feel like I'm reading a "Twilight Zone" story or something. Holy shit. Is that what happens when they disappear? They just get swallowed up? And wow, I thought it was THEO who his mom didn't see anymore. No, she was ignoring him b/c she knew he was gay. Holy crap.

 

And that whole thing with Chris and the FIRST Theo, omg what happened? The baby died? The mom went bonkers and then what?

 

Jesus, what an awesome two chapters! Omg, I almost forgot about Jeremy, lol! Well, maybe he can explain everything to Theo in the hospital....

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..