Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,760 Words
  • 119 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Connor and the Wolves - 49. Fathers' Love

This suit was the nicest thing Soren had ever worn. He felt unbearably fancy just trying to put it on. Everything was so tight, he was almost afraid to move. Surely things would start ripping if he bent his arms or shrugged his shoulders.
And the buttons were worse. He’d figured out the tie after nearly an hour of videos, but lining up the buttons in the mirror… shouldn’t he be better at piecing together finer details? At least the mirror was nicer than the one taped to his closet door — the Chonos had been nice enough to let him dress in Kurt’s bedroom.
Someone knocked at the door. He grunted, giving up for now. Soren crossed the room and opened the door.
“Here,” Kurt muttered, shoving a tiny vial at him. “Do not drink this now. Wait until you’re alone with Connor. I mean it,” she added with a low growl.
“What-”
“Do not ask what it is. You do not want to know. But if this doesn’t turn you, nothing will.”
“Oh.” Soren’s eyes widened as Kurt grabbed his shirt. She began pushing buttons through holes, lining them up one-handed. “I… um… thanks?”
Kurt snorted.
“You better fucking thank me,” she muttered. “Fuck it, see if Mama can do a better job. I can’t do this with one hand.” Grabbing the vial, she shoved it into his breast pocket. “And don’t let anyone see this.”
Soren felt the weight of the vial pressing heavily against his chest. Another secret, if only for the night. Fine; he’d gotten good at keeping secrets over the years.
“Khurtsaa, we told you not to bother Soren,” Khenbish said, poking his head through the door. “Go help John with the shrines like your mother asked.”
“Yes Aav,” Kurt grumbled, pushing past him.
Khenbish grabbed Soren’s shirt, fastening the buttons with lightning precision. Soren’s eyes widened as he watched the neko’s fingers work.
“It’s not my first time buttoning dress clothes,” Khenbish said wryly, flattening Soren’s collar. “Good job with the tie.”
“Thank you sir.”
Adjusting the suit jacket, Khenbish buttoned it neatly. He produced a small silk cloth, offering it to Soren.
“When I first met Catherine, she offered me a flower to symbolise our connection. It is a tradition in her family, and one I wish to continue with our family, albeit in my own way.”
Soren unwrapped the cloth slowly, revealing an azure flower carefully preserved within — a Kalined blue poppy.
“You go to meet your mate, to dance with him for the first time. It is only right you bear something that embodies the heavens; that will show your endless devotion to him.”
“Thank you, sir,” Soren repeated, blinking hard. A tear leaked, and he swiped across his eye.
“You’ve had a hard life. But we see you as family. You are not alone in this world,” Khenbish added, setting a hand on Soren’s shoulder. “Not anymore.”
He slipped the flower into Soren’s lapel. Stepping back, Khenbish gave the mage a stern look.
“Khurtschono?” he asked, tapping the vial in Soren’s pocket. Soren nodded silently. “Be careful. It won’t turn you this month — there’s not enough time for the disease to spread before the moon rises. But make sure you keep some bane on you, just in case.”
“I have a vial,” Soren muttered. “A quarter dose, right?”
“Right,” Khenbish nodded. “Enough to prevent shifting, not enough to poison someone who isn’t a wolf.” He patted Soren’s back. “Now get going. Catherine will get restless if you keep her waiting.”

The door to Connor’s apartment opened after barely two knocks. Soren took a startled step back as he came face to face with River.
“He’s finishing up,” River said, stepping aside to let Soren into the apartment. “You clean up well.”
“Thank you, sir,” Soren said, hovering by the door.
He glanced toward the bedroom, but the door was closed, hiding any view of Connor. Hopefully this wouldn’t take long — River was making him nervous again, though Soren wasn’t sure why.
“Dad, have you seen my cuff-” Connor faltered as he walked into the room. “Shit, you look really good, Soren!”
“You look great too.” Soren smiled, his eyes running over Connor’s tight-fitting dress shirt.
“Didn’t you leave them in the bag when you brought everything over?” River demanded.
“I thought I did,” Connor said as River pushed past him. Meeting Soren’s eyes, he mimed drinking something. “But I can’t find them now.”
Silently, Soren pulled out a bottle of wolfsbane and passed it to Connor. The cork popped out quietly.
“Just a quarter,” Soren breathed as Connor took a swig.
Pushing the cork back into the vial, Connor shoved the bottle toward his pocket as River stepped out of the bedroom.
“They were right on the dresser. Open your eyes for once.” River’s eye flashed toward Connor’s hand. “What is that?”
“Nothing,” Connor said quickly.
“Don’t nothing me,” River growled, grabbing the vial before Connor could fully stow it away. He stared at the glass bottle as Connor flashed a frantic look at Soren. Not that Soren could help — he had no idea what to do here. “Wolfsbane?!” River’s eye flashed dangerously. “And what, pray tell, does my son need with wolfsbane?”
“I… um…”
River hurled the vial at the ground. Soren and Connor both flinched as glass shattered.
“Get out of here.”
“Dad, I-”
“I am not living with a fucking werewolf! Get out!”
Connor pushed Soren toward the door. Soren stumbled out of the apartment.
“What-”
“Just go,” Connor breathed, grabbing his jacket.
“I-”
“No, just go.” Connor shuddered, herding Soren toward the stairs. “He… he needs a moment…. I’ll talk to him later and sort this out. He’ll… we’ll be okay….”
He sucked in a breath, the slightest whimper in his throat.
“Hey.” Soren stopped, turning Connor to face him.
He wrapped his arms around Connor, holding him close as his mind tried to catch up to what just happened. Buried in his arms, Connor let out a choked sob, and Soren squeezed even tighter.
Fuck, Connor wasn’t lying. River really did not like werewolves. Why did Connor ask for the wolfsbane? Couldn’t he have waited until they were out of the apartment? He had to know this was going to happen. Had Connor set this all up just to get it over with?
Soren shoved those thoughts from his mind, focusing on holding the shivering man in his arms. Questions wouldn’t help Connor feel better.
Pulling back, Connor swiped across his eyes.
“Sorry,” he muttered. “Did… is Kurt’s mom…?”
“Don’t worry about it,” Soren said. “If you need a moment, she can wait.”
“No, I’m fine.” Connor sucked in another shaky breath. “I’m… it… let’s just go, okay?”
Nodding, Soren wrapped Connor’s jacket around him. Setting an arm across Connor’s shoulders, Soren guided him down the stairs. They emerged into the cool evening, and Soren turned toward Catherine’s car waiting for them in the car park.
He opened the back door for Connor. Making sure Connor was safely inside, Soren hurried around to the other side of the car.
“Good evening Mrs. Chono,” Connor said cheerfully as Soren folded himself into the seat beside him.
“Hey Connor,” Catherine smiled. “You’re looking really stylish.”
“Thanks.” How he could smile was beyond Soren. Fuck, he was an amazing actor. “Thank you for giving us a ride. It’s a lot better than taking the bus.”
“Oh, I wouldn’t dream of letting you two ride the bus tonight,” Catherine said. “When you two are ready to go home, give me a call and I’ll bring you back here-”
“Actually, Connor’s going to spend the night at my place,” Soren spoke up.
He could feel Connor’s eyes burning into him. Even Catherine glanced into the mirror as she drove.
“Really?” She shrugged. “Well, just remember you still have work in the morning, so don’t do anything too crazy.”
“Yes ma’am,” Soren flashed an uneasy smile. Gods that felt so wrong when he could feel Connor barely holding it together beside him.
He tensed as an arm snaked between his back and the seat. Connor rested his head on Soren’s shoulder.
“Thanks,” he muttered.
Soren smiled wanly, returning the half hug. A phone buzzed and Connor lunged for his pocket. His face fell, but he answered anyway.
“Yeah, I’m on my way,” he said. “You want what? No, I’m not- No, screw that. Twenty minutes max. Look, this was a favour for both of us. I’m not ditching my mate all night.”
Soren frowned, retracting his arm. That must be the wolf who turned Connor. It wouldn’t be right for Connor to ignore him.
Connor’s hand grabbed his, squeezing gently.
“Look dude, I didn’t sign up to be your toy. We made a deal, I’m sticking to that. And it’s a bit too late for you to be pushing for more anyway. I’ll show up, be your arm candy for a bit, and then we’re done.”
He jabbed at the phone, a bit harder than normal. Squeezing Soren’s hand, Connor attempted another smile.
“Sorry. Silas is being a pain,” he said.
“Should I be worried?”
“Nah. Just let him have his fifteen minutes of being the cool wolf in town, then the night is ours, okay?”
“This Silas,” Catherine spoke up. “Is he giving you two trouble?”
“No,” Connor said quickly. “Just a bit of an unpleasant deal that I need to keep my end of.”
Soren looked out the window as they approached Quarian Academy. A bunch of lights sat around the football pitch. He could see several large pavilions set up across the field, and the thump of music already shook the car. As they came to a stop, Soren stepped out, and rushed to open Connor’s door.
“Nice try.” Connor smiled tightly, already standing by the car. “Thanks for the ride, Mrs. Chono.”
“You two have fun,” Catherine called to them. “Have Soren give me a call after and I’ll take you two home.”
“Will do,” Connor said. He tugged on Soren’s arm, pulling the mage toward the nearby locker room, left open presumably to provide a restroom. “Hey… um… mind covering for me?” He muttered as they walked. “I… I need a moment.”
“Of course not,” Soren said quietly.
Connor flashed him a small smile before vanishing into the locker room. Soren took up guard nearby. No one else seemed to be around — they were rather early, all things considered.
That just meant it would be easier to give Connor the privacy he needed.

Copyright © 2023 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 7
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..