Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 2,339 Words
  • 167 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Connor and the Wolves - 44. Truth's Embrace

He… wasn’t mated?
Connor walked beside Soren, staring at the river beside them. He wasn’t mated. Fuck, he could never mention this to his mother. It would give Emma way too much power over him.
But he wasn’t mated.
What was all this then? Inviting him over, playing SoA with him, making him the bracelet that still sat snug over his wrist? Was it all some elaborate con?
No, it couldn’t be. Soren broke up with him. Over a mistake Connor made. Why would he do that if he was trying to fuck with Connor? No, the dots were not connecting here.
What was weird was… he still trusted Soren. Connor didn’t know why. If anyone else tried to fake a mate claim on him, he’d never speak with them again. But Soren didn’t hold any malice. He didn’t do it to hurt Connor; he did it to protect Khurtschono. It was still stupid as fuck, but there were definitely worse reasons to pull a stunt like that.
“Are we okay?” Soren asked quietly.
“Huh?” Connor glanced at the man. “Yeah. I think so. I mean, it’s not like you were trying to hurt anyone. I’m still… I’m just trying to figure out what this means. I mean… is that why you didn’t want to turn me? Because you were afraid I’d realise everything was a lie?”
“Yeah,” Soren admitted. “I… I don’t want to lose you, Connor. I still want to be your friend.”
“We’re a little beyond that.” Connor chuckled ruefully. “You can’t do the things you’ve done and expect us to just be friends. Yeah, my mind’s hurting trying to piece this all together, but I still want to be with you.”
“Even though I’m not a werewolf?”
The words were so quiet he almost missed them. Connor stopped, processing the statement.
“You… huh.” Lots of knuckleballs being kicked here. He cast a side eye at Soren, who was staring studiously at the water flowing past. “Explain.”
It was really all he could say. What did Soren mean he wasn’t a werewolf? Yeah, he kept pushing that with Connor’s parents, but that was just him trying to cover his ass, right? He’d been on the werewolf track team. He could shift; Connor had seen him as a wolf multiple times.
“I… I really don’t know,” Soren said. “I mean… I told your dad.”
“Mages can’t do sports,” Connor denied.
“They didn’t know.” Soren took a deep breath. “I… um… I honestly don’t know how it happened. I met Kurt, and was helping her find her way around the school. She assumed I was a werewolf, and asked if I’d be joining gym with her and her brothers.”
“And you said yes?” Soren nodded. “Why?” Connor frowned. “You were afraid of losing her,” he guessed.
Another nod. Connor sighed quietly.
“Wait.” He frowned again. “Mages have to register. How did no one realise you were a mage?”
“I haven’t registered since I was a kid,” Soren said. “I… I’ve kind of been hiding since my parents died.”
Connor hissed.
“And you’re dating the son of a Wolf Patrol guard? Okay, you’re going to meet me at my mom’s house tomorrow morning. We’re getting you an ID. Don’t need my mom throwing my mate behind bars.”
“You….” Soren stared at him. “I thought…. You still want to-”
“Soren, how many chances have we both had to say no to this? Sure, you fucked up. Big time. But then you dumped me and I worked to get you back.” Connor shook his head. “At this point, the relationship thing’s on me. But if you ever lie to me again, it’s over. Got it?”
Soren nodded mutely. His eyes glistened and tears coursed down his cheeks.
“Come here.” Connor grabbed the mage and pulled him into a tight hug. “At least you didn’t wait until after I turned into a werewolf, right? Can you imagine how fucked that would be? I turn on the full moon and you’re just staring at me?”
Soren chuckled weakly as his arms tightened around Connor.
“Yeah…. No need to worry about being a werewolf now.”
“Nah, I still want to do that.”
Soren took a step back, breaking their hug. Connor didn’t really blame him; that surprised him too.
“Really?”
“Yeah. I mean, you told me to do it for me, right? I want to be a werewolf. Maybe I can turn you,” Connor grinned. “You’re not upset, are you? Because I could probably go to a sperm bank to be changed, but they would tell my dad, and that would NOT end well.”
“If you want to do it, I support you all the way. Even if you’re going to… fuck someone else,” Soren said. “But… I should probably turn too, right? I mean, I’ve been living like a werewolf for years now; I might as well actually be one.”
“I don’t suppose you already have a certain neko in mind.” Connor laughed at Soren’s reaction. “Relax. I’m sure everything will be fine.”
“I just… I can’t believe you’re okay with this,” Soren said. “I mean, Kurt was ready to kill me when she found out.”
“Khurtschono knows?”
“Yeah… um… You know how Altanchono has a claim on me? He told his family he didn’t feel anything for you.”
“Oh thank fuck.” Connor blew out a relieved breath. “It’s always good to hear a child doesn’t want to fuck you.”
“Uh… yeah.” Soren scowled. “I’m… I’ve just been trying to avoid him honestly. But at least he’s not trying to hump me. Again.”
“Rough luck man.” Connor shook his head. “But tell him if he screws with you, he’s going to have a pissed off mate to deal with.”
Soren’s frown deepened.
“Wait… you want to sleep with a wolf. But it sounds like you’re trying to keep me from doing the same-”
“Dude, it’s Altanchono. If you start pulling shit with him, we’re going to have a serious problem.” Connor scowled. “Anyone else, if you want to sleep with them, go for it. I mean… I like you, but sex doesn’t really seem to be our thing. I’m happy enough just being romantic with you, and letting us look elsewhere for the rest, if that’s cool with you.” He glowered at Soren. “But the second you drag someone underage-”
“I wouldn’t even want to,” Soren denied quickly. “I just… the way you said it, I had to make sure you weren’t-”
“Soren, I promise, I’d never cheat on you or willingly do anything to hurt you.” Connor grabbed his free hand, tugging him along the river again. “And I won’t deny you the options you offer me either. If you want to have sex with anyone, you’re free to. But somehow, I don’t think that’s going to be much of an issue with us.”
“Probably not,” Soren admitted.
He stopped and knelt beside a small riverbank. Connor watched him pour the bucket out, trying not to stare at the mage’s backside. It was rather hard with Soren wearing tight jeans. Fuck he looked good in them.
Crawfish flowed into the river, snapping and clawing at each other.
“Be free!” Connor grinned as the bucket emptied. “It was fun catching them, but I’m kind of glad we didn’t eat them.”
“Me too,” Soren agreed. “You’ll… um, you’ll have to show me where you want to eat. If you still want to-”
“Soren, stop.” Connor grabbed his arm. Leaning up, he kissed the mage. The two held in place for a moment before Connor had to descend again. “We’re okay. I promise. You can stop worrying.”
Withdrawing, he held Soren’s hand tightly.
“Now, let’s get that bucket back to the house, and then we’ll go find some food.”

Galyn Muur was the worst food he could eat after a meet. But right now, Connor didn’t care. His mouth burned with fiery pork, and his eyes watered as he swallowed the flames. Across from him, Soren watched with a small smile on his lips. He hadn’t eaten much — even the mild heat was a bit too much for him. Connor couldn’t blame him for that; he hadn’t really had much chance to eat peppers.
“So… I’m a bit curious.” Connor swallowed another bite, relishing the burn. He’d pay for this later. Future Connor must really hate him. “Were you hesitant around me because of the whole mage thing, or is that just you?”
“I… I’m not sure what you mean,” Soren said.
“What I mean is, when I look at Dylan and Brienne, they’re a lot more… handsy, I guess. And I get it,” Connor added quickly, “you don’t do the whole lust thing. Or do you? I mean, now that you’re not… you know, a werewolf, there’s really nothing to be worried about, right?” He bit his tongue, trying to find some way to fix his words. “What I’m trying to say is… I want to know who you are, without the whole werewolf mask.”
“I… um…” Soren frowned, glancing at his half-full plate. “I mean… I still live like a werewolf. Or… I did. Kurt already threatened to come after me if I shift again.”
“Ah. Then you need to turn as soon as possible,” Connor said.
“What?”
“I mean, you’ve lived how long as a werewolf? It’s a part of you. You don’t have to hunt, but like… you’re used to being able to run whenever, wherever,” Connor said. “It’s got to be hard to give that up, right?”
“Yeah.” Soren nodded. “But… um… I’m just… me. I never acted differently.”
“Huh. And here I was hoping you’d be a bit more handsy without the whole werewolf thing.” Connor chuckled quietly.
“You..” Soren swallowed tightly. “You want me to-”
“We’re mates, Soren,” Connor pointed out. “I mean, if you don’t want to do that, it’s fine. But I’m not going to say I don’t want it.”
“I can try. But I’ve never actually… been interested in anyone. Not like that.”
“Not even Khurtschono?”
Soren shook his head. “No, she’s a friend. A close friend.”
Connor sucked in a breath. He hadn’t thought about this — it wasn’t just him; Soren didn’t do sex.
“You still want to be with me, right?” he asked carefully, conscious that his words might come across as some sort of a threat.
“Of course I do!” Soren said quickly. “I just…”
“Don’t like me for my body. Yeah, it’s starting to make a bit more sense now,” Connor said. “But you were… I mean, in the river when I spent the night-”
“I don’t think about it.” Soren shrugged, his shoulders hunched. “It doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.”
“That’s fair.” Connor finished his food quickly, and Soren shoved his plate toward him. Connor’s eyebrow raised. “You sure?”
“I mean, if you want it. Or I could… probably take it home with me,” the mage said. “But you look like you’re really enjoying it.”
“Because I am. But I really should only eat so much. How about we split it? Then we can both take some home,” Connor suggested.
Soren smiled uncertainly.
“That works for me.”
It didn’t take long before they were back outside. An autumn wind whipped up as the two walked, and Connor grinned as Soren’s hair whipped into his face.
“I bet that gets annoying fast,” he said.
“Yeah. If it gets bad, I have a ribbon I can tie it back with, but I don’t like doing that,” Soren said. “It… it was my mom’s, and I’m always afraid I’m going to lose it.”
Brushing Soren’s hair back, Connor tucked it behind his ear.
“I think I have a tie from back when I tried long hair, if you’d like to use it.”
“You? Had long hair?” Soren stared, as though trying to picture it.
“For about three years.” Connor shrugged. “Taking care of it was a huge pain, and eventually I just didn’t have the time, so I chopped it off.”
He frowned. Even if he could find that hair tie, it would be old, and with Soren’s hair being as untamed as it was, Connor was almost certain it would snap the second he tried to use it.
“There’s another option, but you have to agree to it first,” he added.
“What?”
“I’ll take you to a hair place, and you can get yours cut, styled, however you want it.” Connor held up a hand as Soren started to protest. “You made me this bangle, and I love it,” he said quickly, holding up his wrist. “I’m not a crafty person like you are. This is really all I have to offer.”
“I don’t need you to,” Soren scowled.
“Well of course you don’t need me to. But I want to do something nice for my mate,” Connor pointed out. “Look, I have an idea. You’re not a werewolf. You won’t have to worry that Varyal is a full moon. You’ve never been to a dance, and I want to go with you. So, why don’t we pool our money, you can have your hair done, get a rental suit, and we can go to the dance together?”
“Do you know how expensive-”
“Soren. I have money. It’s about the only thing I do have,” Connor said. “I would love to use it to make you feel great. I know you’re self sufficient, I know you can take care of yourself. But you shouldn’t have to. Let me care for you for one week, okay? Then, if you don’t like it, we’ll go back to the way things are. But at least let me try to provide for my mate.”
Soren stared at him. Connor’s heart pounded silently as he met the mage’s eyes for the first time. Jade orbs stared back, blinked. And finally dipped as Soren nodded.
“One week,” he said sternly. “Next Lenyal, we go back to this, deal?”
“Deal.”
“And nothing outrageous-”
“Too late,” Connor grinned, letting go of Soren’s hand. “We already shook on it.”

Copyright © 2023 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Finally, they sat and talked.  Now Connor gets to pamper Soren some. And maybe with the threat of breaking up over Soren can express his feelings more. Looking forward to the dance.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..