Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,133 Words
  • 895 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

For The King - 9. Chapter 9

As Adan weaved back through the garden, he was approached by a guard.

“Forgive me Your Majesty, but we were told not to let you walk on your own,” Eran said, his hand on the pommel of his sword.

Nodding, Adan focused on Roku’s energy, feeling the tiger approaching from behind. He had the tiger’s support, as always.

“I hope I will be seeing you in the sparring ring tomorrow,” he said, focusing on Eran once more.

“Of course Your Majesty.”

The words nagged at Adan. His title was Highness. Eran should know that as a guard. Missing that twice in a row, it was suspicious. And the fact that Eran carried a longsword at his side made Adan even more suspicious. Most guards used shields, and he had only ever seen Eran spar with a sword and shield.

Adan cast a spell under his breath. He needed to take Eran out, just to be safe. And the only way to do that was to touch the guard.

To that end, Adan took a step forward, stumbling over a rock. He fell, his hand catching Eran’s sword just as the guard began drawing the blade.

Instantly the spell met resistance, more resistance than Adan expected. He battled with Eran’s mind, trying to force it into unconsciousness even as Roku leapt onto the guard’s back.

Eran knocked the tiger away, freeing his hand to draw his blade. Adan leapt away, watching the blade warily. He was unarmed, and his bid to take the guard captive had failed.

“What gave me away, prince? No matter. I will die for striking you down. A sacrifice we gladly make,” the guard leered.

The twang of a bow sounded, and an arrow appeared in the guard’s breastplate, quivering from the force of the blow. Eran stumbled backward and Adan rushed him, grabbing the sword from his hands. Summoning an orb of lightning, Adan slammed it into the man’s chest, electricity flooding Eran’s body. A moment later, it was over, the guard dead on the ground.

“Well, that was entertaining.”

Lady Corin dropped out of a tree, a strung bow in her hand. The woman set her bow aside, stepping briskly toward the prince.

“I suppose it is rather hard to avoid someone who insists on cornering you. But did you have to force his hand?” she asked.

Adan held up his hand, still crackling with the remnants of his spell.

“What brings you away from the ballroom, Lady Corin?” Roku asked, stepping between the archer and the prince.

“I was following up on a few rumours I had heard. My former life may have been cut short, but old habits take time to forget,” the woman replied.

Their voices came as though through a tunnel, as Adan stared at his hands. He had just killed a man. And it felt… empowering. He had taken a life. People would fear him more now.

But he didn’t want fear.

“Adan?”

A hand touched his shoulder, and the man jumped.

“Hold on for a moment, okay? I will go get Lord Arien,” Lady Corin said gently.

She hurried from the gardens, Roku taking her place. The tiger wrapped his arms around the shaking prince, holding him tightly.

“This is a little different than what we trained for,” Roku said.

Adan nodded silently.

“I am certain there is a way to get you to our rooms with no one noticing-”

“I cannot do that,” Adan croaked, shaking the last of the magic from his hands. “I would be seen as weak.”

A stench rose from the corpse beside them, like that of an unwashed chamberpot. Adan gagged, stumbling backward.

Wrinkling his nose, Roku knelt beside Eran’s corpse, studying it. He grabbed a foot, pulling at the boot on it.

“What are you doing?!” Adan asked sharply, staring in revulsion.

“He said something about giving his life. But not just his life,” Roku said, tossing the boot aside.

The tiger moved the foot around, frowning. He started in on the other foot, letting out a victorious grunt a moment later.

“They wouldn’t have put it in one of the more obvious places,” he said, gesturing Adan closer.

Covering his nose against the stench, Adan knelt next to Roku, looking at the bottom of the foot.

“That is a rune. A familiar rune…” he said. “He was… a human familiar? That should be impossible.”

“So was Master Jacob,” Roku pointed out. “The real question is, who made him a familiar?”

“And how would becoming a familiar change him so drastically? Mind control would be simple as a familiar’s master, but this was a change even in fighting style.”

Adan shook his head tiredly as he heard footsteps hurrying toward them.

“Whoever they are, they’re dead,” he sighed, standing. “I killed them.”

“And it was well done. He would have left the kingdom without an heir,” Lord Arien said as he approached. “But his attack only serves to show you are not safe even here. You will be leaving tonight, with Lady Corin as your guard.”

“Forgive me, sir, but is that not dangerous? She is known among certain circles,” Roku said.

“She was the best at what she did. Perhaps being known is best for this task. Your father has been informed and agrees with the plan. Head back to your party and mingle until Lady Corin comes to get you. Follow her instructions exactly.”

As Lord Arien spoke, a pair of shadowy figures came over and picked up the corpse, carrying it away. Adan watched them leave, feeling sickened by the whole thing.

 

They returned to the party together, Adan nearly having to peel Roku away from him.

"You cannot cling to me all evening," the mage said quietly. "Go stand guard. When you see Lady Corin collect me, follow discretely. I am not sure we can trust her. She seems to be in the thick of things."

Roku nodded silently, hand brushing over Adan's wrist. An innocent gesture to most, but Adan felt bolstered by it. The two entered the ballroom, heading their separate ways. Adan spotted Lady Marel dancing with a lord, Lord Erathil of the Western Approach, if he remembered correctly. Already he could tell she wasn't really into him, her movements lacking any sort of joy. Connections must be made and maintained, the ever present mask of diplomacy held up. Adan was starting to feel like Dennet. And the thought of the mage who had raised him made him feel sad. He wasn't entirely sure he hadn't failed the man tonight.

The prince looked at his fingers, one of his nails turning dark red. A small transmutation, one that would not alter his look. It was a simple release and it didn't drive away the overwhelming rush of anxiety Adan felt. But it did make him feel a little better, being in control of something, however small it was.

He could feel Roku's eyes on him, watching every move he made and every person that neared him. Adan understood Roku's fear. Who would have thought Eran would attack him like that? And was there another spy present, looking for an opening to kill him? It seemed all too likely. He would feel much better if they could figure out who had sent him that letter.

The prince flinched slightly as a body bumped him, a young noble walking past with a drunken "sorry". He must be new. If his family saw that, Adan had no doubt they would punish him for his misstep. The poor man was too drunk to realise his mistake though, and he wandered off into the throng of dancing nobles.

Someone cleared their throat behind Adan. He turned, finding Lady Corin standing near him.

"Perhaps you would care for another dance, Your Highness?" she suggested.

"I believe I would enjoy that," Adan smiled slightly, holding out his hand.

The two walked onto the dance floor, Adan catching several glances and whispers. He had just made everyone in the ballroom think he favoured the woman. Hopefully Lady Corin knew what she was doing.

They danced slowly, Lady Corin breathing instructions to him every chance she got.

"You and Roku will leave in five minutes. Make your excuses, feign illness, whatever you have to. There will be a wagon near your room, delivering supplies to the storeroom below."

They parted momentarily, then came back together, Lady Corin continuing without missing a beat.

"Sneak into the back. The wagon will take you out of the city. It is bound for Zyrel."

Adan gave a simple nod as the dance ended. Lady Corin bowed to him and vanished back into the crowd. The prince sent a mental message to Roku, the tiger replying a moment later.

Locating a server, Adan picked up a glass of wine, making a show of swallowing a big gulp. The liquid tasted rather tart, his tongue shivering with the sensation. He carried the glass through the room, slowly making his way toward Roku. As he walked, Adan tried to affect the walk of the drunk, though he felt he was overdoing it. He'd have to get pointers from Lord Arien at some point.

He stumbled slightly near Roku, his familiar steadying him with a gentle hand.

"My prince, I think you have had enough to drink," the tiger said in a stage whisper.

The words would carry to those around them, helping the two make a relatively clean escape. Roku took the glass from Adan, setting it aside. Adan could feel the warmth of the alcohol in his body, slightly muddying the world around him. Maybe he had drunk a little too much. It wasn't like he was a big drinker.

Either way, the prince was grateful for Roku's support in getting him out of the ballroom. As they walked toward Adan's rooms, he focused on another message, sending it silently to the tiger.

"You had a little too much, I fear," Roku said quietly, helping him up the stairs.

"I think so. But it tasted good. I will have to find more."

"Perhaps you should refrain from drinking half the glass in one gulp though," Roku smiled tightly as they passed a servant.

Stepping into the prince's suite, the tiger helped him get to the bed.

"I will be back soon with the supplies. You will get the swords?" he asked quietly.

Adan nodded, his head spinning slightly. Roku hurried from the room, leaving the prince alone. Adan found their swords tucked away in the study and carried them out to the bed. Pulling a sheet from the bed, the mage transmuted it into a small bag, which he filled with clothing. Stepping into the study, the prince found the key to Zyrel, slipping it into the bag.

As he finished, Roku returned to the room, carrying two sets of servants' clothes. He and Adan stripped silently, Adan placing his hands on the tiger. A minute of intense focus later, Roku stood before him as a small servant boy. Adan turned his hands upon himself, changing his body to look less muscular. His hair became jet black, his eyes taking on a green hue. No one would recognise him as the crown prince now. If anything, they would take him for Roku's father.

They dressed quickly in the new clothes, Adan making adjustments where needed. He was no tailor, but the clothes would pass.

"What are we doing with the swords?" Roku asked, his voice squeaking like a child's.

It was a good question. Adan was not about to transmute the blades. He knew next to nothing about swords, and there was no way he could change them back.

Back...

Adan picked up a sword, twisting his arm until the sword was running down his back. Roku's eyes widened, and he moved to help the prince, securing the blade under the outfit. The tunic Adan wore was loose enough to hide everything, but there was no way Roku would be able to carry a sword that way in his current form.

The second blade was secured to Adan's back, Roku nodding in approval. Picking up the bag of clothes, Adan opened the door to the suite, Roku following him as they moved swiftly through the palace halls. He nodded silently to a servant passing by, the woman nodding back.

The two walked out of the building, Adan spotting an open wagon sitting near the window of his room. He hurried toward it, tossing the bag into the back. Helping Roku up into the wagon, the mage followed him, finding a spot where he could lay flat and hide. Pulling Roku over him, the mage conjured a loaf of bread, warping the spell until the bread transmuted into a wool blanket that covered them both.

Carefully, the prince removed the swords from his back, placing a hilt in Roku's hands. They lay still as feet crunched through the dirt near the wagon. A horse stamped its hoof, a soft click sounding at the head of the wagon. Wheels creaked and hooves stepped softly as the wagon lurched forward. Adan hated being blind, but they had to stay hidden as long as they could.

But what about the anti-magic gem over the gatehouse? Their cover was magic...

Roku silently clasped Adan's hand. There was a way to fix this. There had to be. If he just thought for a moment...

Adan's hand touched their bag, and he removed the transmutation from the bag, covering them with the bedsheet. The noise of the cart moving should have covered the rustling of his movements.

The wagon pulled to a stop a few minutes later, voices waving them through. Horrible security, and something Adan was definitely going to discuss with his father. He felt the tingle of the anti-magic gem pass through him, and suddenly Roku was squashing him, the tiger's clothing ripping as he grew.

The tiger's eyes stared into his, asking a silent question.

'I am fine,' Adan sent telepathically.

He was getting better at sending messages. And the weight of his familiar was actually comforting once he had taken a full breath. His arms wrapped around Roku, Adan burying his face in the tiger's neck fluff. Who said daring escapes had to be unpleasant?

 

Three hours later, the wagon rumbled to a stop, feet dropping from the driver seat. Adan clutched the hilt of his sword, holding his breath as their driver approached the back of the wagon. The blanket was yanked away from them, Lady Corin dodging an attack that never came. She wore a simple tunic and trousers, the clothing of a peasant. A good disguise, and one that didn't require any magic to use.

Roku slid off of Adan, the two sitting up and stretching in the late evening air. They were pulled over on a small turnoff in the hills, a drop no more than ten metres away. Adan shivered slightly in the cool mountain breeze, and Roku placed a warming arm around him.

"How did you get the wagon so quickly?" Adan asked.

"Simple, really. I gave a servant boy a kiss. He did the rest."

"You are not afraid he could tell someone?"

"What's to tell? A pretty servant girl kissed him. He has no idea I'm a noble," Lady Corin shrugged, reaching into the back of the cart.

She withdrew a bow and a quiver that had been tucked away in the wagon, checking the weapon. Adan helped Roku out of the cart, frowning at the tiger's bare body. The only thing that remained of his clothes was a scrap of his loincloth, barely enough to cover him.

Adan picked up their blanket, throwing it over the tiger. He sent a wave of magic through the fabric, fashioning a cloak for the tiger. Thinking for a moment, the mage changed the sheet's colour to a soft blue. Not enough to be obvious, but enough that Roku would see the colour.

A soft hiss drew the prince's attention back to Lady Corin. The woman was staring at the cloak, her eyes wide in wonder, as though Adan had just opened a world of possibility to her.

Shaking her head, Corin turned back to the wagon, removing a pair of bedrolls. She grumbled quietly, Adan swearing he heard a curse.

"Figures, he thought he and I were going somewhere for the night..."

"Roku and I will share a bed," Adan said.

"A prince sharing a bed with a familiar? Whatever shall the people think?"

"I do not see anyone around here but the three of us. And it is the only practical solution. I would not force you to sleep with someone you did not know," Adan said, taking one of the bedrolls.

"You are more considerate than most then, Your Highness," Lady Corin said.

"I think I should stand watch," Roku offered. "We are sleeping by the side of the road. Anyone could rob us here. I can sleep in the wagon tomorrow."

Adan nodded, slightly chagrined that he hadn't thought of keeping watch. Roku helped Lady Corin bed down the horses for the night, making sure they wouldn't wander off while the group slept.

Sliding into his bedroll, Adan tried to make himself comfortable after nearly a week of sleeping in a feather bed. The wind whistled through the hills, the sound piercing through Adan. He felt lonely suddenly, though Roku sat a metre away, staring up at the sky. For the second time in less than a month, the mage had been uprooted from his life.

He wondered what this would do to his image. He had shown favouritism to Lady Corin earlier that evening, enough that he was certain rumours would abound that he had run off with the lady, especially after his absence was noticed. The entire situation could be salvaged, but what was the point if they didn't figure out who was trying to kill him?

And their only lead had died with Eran. He had truly botched that, trying to grab the familiar.

Roku sat beside him, the tiger holding his knees against his chest. A furry hand stroked his hair cautiously, Adan letting out a quiet sigh.

"I never wanted this," he whispered. "Can things just go back to the way they were? I would rather sort Dennet's entire library than deal with someone who wants me dead."

"You may get your chance to sort his library. We are going back to his manor, right?"

Adan nodded silently. At least he would be in familiar territory.

And with that comforting thought, the mage rolled over in his bedroll, his mind slowly put to ease by his familiar's presence. Roku wouldn't let anything happen. He would keep Adan safe.

Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Eran was a most unlikely assassin. Too bad he couldn't be questioned.

He is still being hunted, but will he really be any safer at Zyrel?

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Hated that we lost Eran like that, worse that Adan was the one who was forced to kill him.  Still not sure that I fully trust Lady Corin, but we will see.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..