Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,657 Words
  • 2,152 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

For The King - 6. Chapter 6

It seemed he was only asleep for a few minutes when Adan was woken by a knock on the door. Roku still held him, the tiger’s eyes staring at Adan as the mage rolled over. Adan smiled at the cat, gently lifting his furry arm away from him.

“Can you get the door for me? I am not quite ready to entertain,” he said.

“Of course,” Roku smiled. “I do not suppose your father will let us stay in bed all day?”

“I doubt it. But maybe he will allow us to visit the library.”

Roku was up in an instant, leaping toward the door. Adan snorted. It would be nice to visit the library, but he certainly didn’t have the same passion for it that his familiar had.

A man entered the room, bowing to Adan. It felt strange having people bow to him, like he was a big deal. He really wasn’t. At least he didn’t feel like one.

“Your Highness, His Majesty the king requests you select your staff today. I am to dress you for the day,” the man said.

“What do I need to do?” Adan asked as Roku moved to the side of the bed.

“You will need to select a manservant and the staff for your estate in Zyrel, Sir.”

The man held out clothing, and Adan sighed, standing up. This was another thing he would have to get used to.

“Where did these clothes come from?” he asked as the man pulled the pants up his legs.

The clothes fit more loosely than the clothes from the day before, a small mercy to Adan. He had felt eyes staring at his crotch all night, male and female. It wouldn't surprise the mage if he got propositions from the unscrupulous nobles in exchange for favours and bragging rights. He already knew he wanted none of that.

“From the gifts you received yesterday Sir. The lords of the realm were only too happy to see you return to take your place at the king’s side.”

“There are no clothes for Roku then?”

“No Sir. We will begin outfitting him if you wish it.”

“I do,” Adan nodded.

Roku couldn’t be stuck with only one outfit. It would look bad for them both. Besides, if the tiger was allowed to pick out his own clothes, maybe he would be more comfortable in his dress.

Fully clothed, Adan and Roku followed the servant through the palace. Entering a large study, they found three men waiting. Each bowed to Adan as he entered.

“You are…?” Adan trailed, not quite sure how to phrase the question.

He cringed inwardly. That would be just the thing that would make people lose faith in him.

“Sir, this is Keros, fourth son of Duke Erimund, Athilan, second son of Lord Arien, and Myras, my son.”

Adan nodded, stepping in front of Keros. The man was attractive, tall and slender, with the hint of muscles displayed under his tanned skin.

“What exactly does a manservant do?” Adan asked.

He already knew the basics, but would the fourth son of a duke know?

“I… I am not sure, Your Highness,” the man said quietly.

Adan moved on to Athilan, not expecting much better. But he posed the question anyway.

“I would be responsible for your manner of dress, but more than that, I would take care of your travel arrangements and any other tasks you assign me Sir,” Athilan replied.

“And you can handle that?”

“Yes Sir.”

“Good. Your first task will be to find someone to dress Roku. If you do this well, you will be my manservant.”

Athilan bowed, holding it until Adan realised he was waiting to be released. As the men hurried from the room, Adan heard footsteps speeding through the hall beyond the door.

A servant stepped into the room, bowing to Adan.

“Your Highness, your father requests your presence in the war room,” he said urgently.

His body was filled with dread. Not even a day as a prince and he was already being called to war? Glancing at Roku, Adan received a reassuring nod.

“Lead the way,” he said, burying his fear deep inside.

 

The war room was large, with a giant map of the known world on an oaken table in the middle of the room. Three people stood around the table, King Adonis tall and imposing at their head as he studied a scroll.

“Adan, your familiar cannot enter,” the king said without looking up.

Roku set a hand on Adan’s shoulder before the mage could protest.

“I want to find the library anyway,” the tiger said quietly.

Roku left the room, Adan taking a deep breath as he moved to the seat that had been left open for him.

“Adan, this is Lord Cairus of Darithus. His lands protect our northern border with Korain. Admiral Talien is beside him, commander of the Eastern Fleet, such as it is, and his cousin Lord Arien, commander of the Darinhal Rogues.”

Adan sucked in a breath at the titles. He was in a room with four of the biggest men in Meras. Dennet had warned him about the Darinhal Rogues, a band of assassins and spies. Officially they didn’t exist.

“Lord Arien, can you bring my son up to date please?”

“Certainly, Sire. Your Highness, several of my men have returned to me with tales of fantastical beasts in Korain. Trolls, goblins, gnolls, even elves. We have pinpointed the source of the rumours to the Aris Basin, though none of my people have been able to breach the basin itself. The entire land around the basin, which is supposed to be some of the most fertile in the world, is blackened, nothing growing upon it for leagues.”

Arien spoke with a soft confidence, a hardened gleam in his green eyes. He was a man used to command, his voice demanding attention while still respectful of the king and the prince.

Adan nodded his understanding, looking to his father for guidance.

“You have the right to be here as the prince,” Adonis explained. “I do not expect you to solve this problem, but perhaps you may have suggestions.”

“Korain is our ally. This information was gained through spies though. Why would they not ask for our help if the largest source of their food has gone dead?” Adan asked.

“Fear of looking weak?” Cairus suggested.

“The effects on the land sound like the work of energy manipulation, a form of necromancy. But who would be taking that much energy? And what does that have to do with rumors of mythical beings?”

“Korain does not believe in necromancy. Surely they should have stepped in by now to combat any form of necromancy,” Adonis said.

“Unless the necromancy was benefiting them. Which is hard to see,” Talien spoke up.

“But not impossible. A team of necromancers could leech energy and life force from the land to create familiars, and then use the familiars to create new races. It is why the rule against familiars reproducing was made,” Adan said. “Worst case scenario, someone is raising an army of mythical beasts for some reason. I do not believe it is merely to bring us flowers.”

“The only reason for Korain to go along with this is because they either didn’t notice until it was too late, or they are hoping to use this new force to attack us. We should start shoring up our defenses along the Kalithar Mountains," Lord Cairus said firmly.

“Hold a moment Lord Cairus,” Adonis said, holding up his hand. “If this is the case, we do not want to tip our hand. Nor do we want to startle Korain in the chance that your theory is incorrect. There are far too many unknowns. Lord Arien, your people can not get any more information?”

“No Sire. They describe the area as a pit of despair, so strong that even the most willful cannot enter. It is as though all life avoids the basin.”

“Then I find it hard to believe there is an army there, unless it is an army of the dead,” Talien said.

“The castles we have guarding the mountain passes in the north are enough of a defense in the chance anyone marches on us from the north. However, we should see to it they are improved upon. Fresh supplies, fresh troops, shore up any defenses that are lacking,” Adonis said.

He smiled slightly at Adonis.

“You are about to see the marvel of Darinhal Palace,” the king said.

He reached out over the table, his fingers moving over the mountain range standing between Meras and Korain. The map changed suddenly, the mountains taking up nearly the entire table as small fortresses of stone appeared along them. Adan stared in amazement. Never before had he seen a map such as this.

“I will explain how it works later. This map is my focus, though I believe it will last long after I am gone,” Adonis said. “Lord Cairus, I will give you the third regiment of Darinhal. Keep the additions to the castles inconspicuous. Adan, your trip to Zyrel might have to happen sooner than I wish. This is an inopportune time for the town and land to change hands, but you have been there before. I have full confidence you will be able to make the transition smoothly.”

Adan bowed slightly.

“As you wish Father.”

“For now we will remain in a state of watchful preparedness. Lord Arien, we remain at your leisure for new information.”

“Understood Sire,” the man said.

“Then, unless there are any questions?”

The four other men shook their heads and Adonis smiled grimly.

“Dismissed.”

 

As he walked through the palace again, Adan slowly started seeing a pattern to the layout. The ground level of the palace seemed to be for servants and dignitaries alike, containing the kitchens as well as the war room, throne room, and ballroom. The second floor was left as living quarters for the royal family. Adan seemed to own most of the west wing of the floor.

Armed with that realization, the prince set himself to finding the kitchen, eventually stumbling into it ten minutes later.

The room was a study in organised chaos. Servants hurried past each other, some working on fresh dough, others cutting vegetables or painting a large bird of some sort.

“Your Highness!” a servant gasped, nearly colliding with Adan.

The entire room stopped, servants turning and then bowing to the prince.

“My apologies, I did not mean to interrupt your preparations,” Adan said.

“Would you like a biscuit Sir?” a woman smiled, offering the pastry.

“Thank you,” Adan smiled in return, taking the food.

“I can have a snack put together if you are hungry,” the servant continued. “I know how hungry young men can be.”

“That would be greatly appreciated. What is your name?”

“Mira, Sir,” the woman said, dipping her head slightly.

“Thank you Mira.”

Five minutes later, Adan was sitting in a discreet corner of the kitchen, munching on a snack of dried fruit and pastries. It wasn’t food for a prince, but his stomach didn’t care. It was food. More than that, it was familiar, a sergeant's snack snuck in the middle of the morning, Adan savoring the moment of familiarity.

It didn’t take long for the food to vanish. Adan left the kitchen quietly, leaving the servants to their work as he began walking toward the west wing of the palace. The place seemed much quieter after yesterday and Adan was grateful for the relative silence.

“I hear he’s a conjurer, and likes conjuring animals to use them. Just look at his familiar. A standing tiger is no familiar to a sane man...”

Adan paused in front of a door, grimacing at the woman's words beyond. He should have expected the rumours about himself, but still, this was too far.

Opening the door, the mage found two servants working in a bedroom, one making the bed, the other scrubbing the floor. Both gasped at the sight of him, bowing low.

“Your Highness!”

“You know, I really am a fan of gossip. I would love to know who this conjurer is,” Adan said.

The servant on the left paled, dropping to the stone floor in terror.

“Forgive us Your Majesty!”

“You were discussing me then? Please make it known that I am no animal fucker. And this rumour of me being one ends right here.”

Turning on his heel, Adan left the room, fuming. This was why he had never wanted to be in a position of power. All the rumours and posturing, he didn’t need any of it.

 

The scene that greeted Adan in his room made him pause. Roku stood nearly naked upon a stool, a woman running a measure down the inside of his leg. Athilan was making the bed, maneuvering deftly around the two. A trunk sat against the far wall of the room, one Adan recognised as the trunk he and Roku had packed with books. Roku’s eyes kept glancing toward it, yet the tiger continued to stand tall for the tailor.

“Your Highness,” Athilan said, bowing slightly to Adan when he noticed him.

The tailor stood and bowed as well, Roku’s tail flicking behind her in constrained annoyance.

“How long will the measurements take?” Adan asked.

“I am nearly done, Your Highness,” the tailor said.

Adan nodded.

“Athilan, is there a place to practice swordplay near the palace?”

“Yes Sir. Would you like me to show you?”

“Roku, would you like to join me?” Adan asked.

The tiger’s eyes flickered toward the trunk of books, and Adan smiled slightly.

“Or perhaps you would rather organise the books in the study once you have been fitted,” he said.

“I can do that,” Roku smiled gratefully.

Adan smiled back at him, waiting for Athilan to finish his work. The manservant finished at the same time as the tailor, handing her a few coppers for her time. The tailor bowed again, taking her stool as Roku moved happily toward the trunk of books.

“Try not to get too lost in your reading,” Adan chuckled.

Turning back to Athilan, he nodded. The man led him from the room, moving through the palace until he reached a back entrance. A building stood behind the palace, an enclosure set between it and the edge of a cliff. Several guards sparred in the enclosure, their feet kicking up small clouds of dust. A woman stood on the outside of the sparring ring, watching the guards closely.

“Dera, use your shield! It’s not some ornament for you to show off!”

Turning at the sound of footsteps, the woman scowled at the newcomers.

“Who the fuck are you? I heard nothing about new recruits,” she growled.

“I am looking for a sparring partner,” Adan said.

“You aren’t a guard then. I will not be responsible for some noble’s brat getting injured.”

“I will take responsibility for my own actions,” Adan said.

“Fine. Eran! I have a challenger for you!”

A large man in black gambeson approached, a sword and shield in hand. He towered over Adan, looking down at the younger man with a smile on his face.

“Are you sure about this?”

Adan nodded, walking over to a weapon rack. He selected a longsword, testing its balance. Satisfied, the prince entered the sparring enclosure, waiting for Eran to follow.

Standing near the cliff edge, the two studied each other, waiting for one of them to make a move. Adan knew this could be a difficult bout. Master Jacob had fought him with a shield before, and the implement had a real risk to it.

Still, his blade had a longer reach than Eran’s, even if it wasn’t much of an advantage. Stepping forward, Adan feinted toward Eran’s sword arm, moving his blade away from the incoming shield to tap the guard on the shield arm.

“Eh, good hit,” Eran chuckled, letting his arm fall limp.

He closed with Adan, who took a step back, weaving carefully behind another fighter. Lunging suddenly, the prince let Eran parry his blow, using the momentum of his blade to wrap around to the guard’s neck.

Eran held up his hands in defeat, a smile on his face.

“Well fought,” he smiled.

“Thank you,” Adan returned the smile.

“I haven’t seen you around here before. What’s your name?”

“Adan. I’m from Zyrel.”

They set up for another bout, Adan winning that one just as easily. Eran stood back, rubbing his shield arm, where a blow from Adan had hit heavily.

“You are good,” he complimented. “Where did you train?”

“The guards in Zyrel took lessons from the Third Sword two years ago,” Adan smiled. “I was there for the lessons.”

“You trained under Master Jacob?”

The guard’s eyes widened.

“Can you show me some things? You got under my shield like it isn’t even there. I always thought I would have no problem with a shield.”

Nodding, Adan went back to the rack, replacing his weapon. He needed practice with one handed blades anyway. The fight with them was different. For the next hour, the two sparred, both learning from the other at points. And by the end, Adan knew he had another true friend in Darinhal.

 

The prince sank onto his bed gratefully upon reaching his room. Dinner had been peaceful, though he had eaten alone with Roku. Apparently his father had better things to do than to eat with his son. They had been silent at dinner, both uncomfortable with the servants that constantly brought plates of food or refilled their wine. Roku had never even drank wine before, and it was an interesting new taste for him.

The tiger lay beside Adan, purring quietly into the soft mattress. His tail slapped across Adan’s thighs, and the mage sighed quietly.

“I could get used to this,” he murmured.

“So could I,” Roku agreed, rolling over. “You spent the day sparring?”

“Yes. Did you read anything interesting?”

“I found something to add to my massaging,” Roku said quietly. “Would you like to try it?”

Adan smiled, removing his shirt before rolling over.

“I’ll never say no to a massage.”

Roku climbed onto Adan’s legs, leaning forward to start pressing his hands into the mage’s back. Adan felt a prick near his left shoulder, his torso clenching slightly before relaxing. Roku’s right hand continued pressing into him, Adan murmuring quietly into his pillow. Another prick came, and another, slowly, methodically. His body slowly relaxed, Roku playing his back like an instrument that controlled his body.

Reaching around, Adan pulled Roku down onto himself. Their cheeks met as he turned his head, the tiger’s purring filling his body. Roku’s hips lifted slightly before pressing his rod against Adan’s ass. The prince’s moans grew more intense, his body wiggling slightly under Roku.

“Am I hurting you?” the tiger asked in concern.

“No,” Adan breathed.

The tiger was a little heavy, making it hard for the man to breathe, but he liked the weight. And the feel of the tiger nestled in his crack.

His arm reached back again, carefully taking Roku’s tail. Fingers curling gently, Adan slowly stroked the tiger.

Roku slid off of Adan, the mage muttering in protest. He was suddenly rolled over, Roku climbing over him again. Their rods strained through their clothes, seeking each other as Roku lowered himself again. Faces inches apart, the tiger smiled at Adan.

“Is this better?” he asked breathlessly.

“Much,” Adan whispered, reaching upward.

Their lips met briefly, Adan savouring the contact. This was right, for a mage to love their familiar. After all, wasn’t Roku his creation?

Dropping back down, Adan frowned. Roku was his creation. What if he was just doing this to make the mage happy?

“That was… different than I expected,” Roku said, touching his lips with a finger. “Did I do it wrong? You are frowning.”

“No. Did you want me to kiss you?” Adan asked.

“I thought it might happen, but that is why I rolled you over. I was nervous though,” Roku admitted.

“You wanted it to happen…”

Adan breathed a small sigh of relief.

“Do you want to do it again?”

Roku smiled slightly, leaning down. Their lips met again, and Adan wrapped his arms around the tiger, holding him down. He had never kissed anyone before, and they both fumbled slightly, trying to find a comfortable position. But Roku’s purring returned, growing in intensity until it nearly shook the human under him.

Adan’s hands slid down the tiger’s back, taking the tail once more to play with. Roku strokied the mage’s head as they kissed, fingers running through the hair.

Adan pulled away, panting slightly. He gazed into Roku’s sky blue eyes, seeing nothing but love and trust pouring from them. Hands sliding the tiger’s shirt up, Adan removed the fabric separating their torsos. He shivered as Roku’s furry chest fell onto his own, his hips lifting up to thrust into Roku’s. Their mouths collided again, fighting to claim the other as Roku began thrusting against Adan. The mage took it all, whimpering quietly into the tiger’s maw. His hands fell on Roku’s ass, cupping the mounds of flesh under the silky fabric of the tiger’s pants. With a loud growl, Roku thrust against Adan again, his hands moving to grip Adan’s hips tightly. Adan felt a warmth seep from Roku’s groin, and he grunted quietly into Roku’s mouth.

Breaking the kiss, Roku frowned, looking downward.

“I ruined my pants,” he said.

“I can clean your pants,” Adan said, stroking Roku’s head. “Did you enjoy it?”

The tiger nodded.

“Then it was a good thing. Right?”

Roku nodded again, smiling at Adan.

“Do you think we can do it again?” he asked.

“We can certainly try,” Adan chuckled, pulling Roku back down on top of him.

It is never easy making new bonds. I hope everyone enjoys Adan's efforts in that area.
Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Adan is having to adapt quickly to his new position, but handling it all well so far. He is also finding a core or people through his interactions who he can trust and take with him to Zyrel.

Hearing of the strange events across the border, I wonder if Adan will be drawn there eventually.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Loved the sparing, especially since none of those involved knew who he was.  Some good suggestions by Adan in the War Room, maybe he understands more than he thinks.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

It seems that Adan is taking hold of his new position as heir to the throne very rapidly and making good suggestions about the defense of the nation – perhaps it is his fresh eye applied to old problems that is making the difference,
Roku is getting practice in using his tail as a sexual instrument; certainly a great advantage. I am seeing a vision of a relaxed and sleeping tiger with his tail stretched out along the ground with just the tip flicking from time to time as he dreams,

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..