Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,721 Words
  • 1,817 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

For The King - 4. Chapter 4

They were sparring with Master Jacob when Master Dennet returned late the next day. Even together Adan and Roku couldn't best the Third Sword, though the mage was able to scratch Master Jacob's arm. He considered it a success, though not a victory.

“It is well enough for now,” Master Dennet said as Adan and Roku stood panting at the edge of the sparring circle. “You may have the rest of the day to yourselves. I suggest you both study up on noble etiquette. It would not do for the apprentice of Zyrel to be seen using the wrong fork for dinner.”

Adan was surprised his master was letting them go that easily. Not one to give up an opportunity, he grabbed Roku’s arm, leading him from the training room.

“Oh, and Adan?” Master Dennet called.

Adan turned, still clutching Roku’s arm.

“Do not give up something you want just because society might not agree.”

The mage’s cheeks burned as he realised what Master Dennet was telling him. Gripping Roku a little tighter, the young mage nodded.

“Yes Master Dennet,” he said quickly before hurrying away.

They went back to the guest room, Adan letting out a sigh as he closed the door. Master Jacob had been working them hard that day, having Adan run through katas while casting and making Roku work on his cutting. Adan felt beaten and bruised, and he happily crawled onto the bed, stretching his body out.

Setting their blades against the bare wall, Roku sat beside him, the tiger’s hand rubbing the mage’s back. Adan moaned quietly at the touch, inviting his familiar to continue. Roku’s tail fell across his legs as the tiger lay beside Adan, his hand gently pressing into the mage’s back.

“Do you normally train this hard?” the tiger asked.

“No. I am not sure what is going on. It is like Master Jacob is trying to squeeze another year of training into two days.”

Roku’s hand drifted to the hem of Adan’s shirt and the mage tensed slightly.

“May I remove your shirt?” Roku requested, his hand pausing.

Slowly Adan nodded. He felt the fabric pull away from his skin and raised his arms so Roku could remove the shirt.

“I never taught you to give massages,” he mused as the tiger began stroking his skin.

“I learned from the book on your desk the night after you made me,” the tiger explained.

He moved suddenly, straddling Adan’s legs. The pressure on his thighs felt perfect to the mage, Roku’s fur tickling his skin gently even as the tiger began digging into Adan’s shoulder blades.

The mage could feel Roku’s erection as the cat massaged him. The tiger’s rod was pressing between his legs and the contact made Adan respond in kind, his slender length growing to nearly match the tiger. Moaning quietly, Adan tried to keep himself from humping the bed.

“Would you like me to stop?” Roku asked quietly, noticing Adan’s situation.

“No…” Adan breathed, his eyes closing.

Roku removed his own shirt before continuing his massage. His fingers trailed across Adan’s skin, causing the mage to shiver. Adjusting his position slightly, Roku began working on Adan’s neck as his rod settled against Adan’s cheeks.

“Fuck…”

Adan reached back and tugged at the tiger’s chest, pulling him down to lay on the mage’s body. Roku’s body warmed him quickly, Adan turning his head to the side with a satisfied sigh.

“Are you okay?” Roku asked.

“Yes. I do not feel I am ready to do anything just yet, but I like laying with you,” the mage replied tiredly.

“I will be here for you whenever you need me,” Roku whispered against Adan’s neck.

Adan murmured quietly as he drifted off to sleep.

 

They were woken by a pounding on the door early the next morning. Roku shot out of bed at the noise, Adan hissing as the tiger’s claws scratched his back.

“Ow…” he muttered, wincing as he sat up. “Open the door Sir Scratchers.”

“Sorry,” Roku apologised as he headed toward the door.

Master Dennet stepped into the room as soon as the door was open.

“Get dressed. And make sure you don’t use any transmutations today. You will be dining with the lords of the realm.”

Adan nodded, reaching for his shirt. He had expected something like this. The mage was still unsure why he was being included in this dinner, unless it was to celebrate his Ascension Day. But that was tomorrow, not today.

“You have one hour to be ready to depart,” Master Dennet said, before departing briskly.

Adan opened the trunk with their clothes in it, casting a quick cleaning spell on himself and Roku. Pulling out one of the shirts, Adan gasped in shock. He had never seen anything so fine before. The shirt was soft black velvet, the trousers appearing to be of some of the best silks available in Zyrel. These clothes must have cost Master Dennet a fortune to buy.

“They look nice,” Roku said, pulling out a pair of trousers.

Adan saw a flap hanging off the back of the trousers the tiger held, a set of strings dangling from it.

“I think those are yours,” he said.

Shrugging, Roku set the trousers on the bed, discarding the ones he currently wore. He pulled the new trousers on, frowning as the flap came over his tail.

“Oh, it is to help you with your tail,” Adan realised. “You can tie the flap across and your tail will have a hole to stick through.”

“But how do I tie it?” Roku asked, his hands fumbling blindly with the strings.

Adan knelt behind the tiger, pulling the extra fabric past Roku’s tail. It was a little distracting, having his face this close to the tiger's butt, but the mage focused on the task at hand. His fingers threaded the strings through a pair of holes on the other side of the trousers, tightening them. Tying the strings securely, he stood up and patted Roku on the back.

“You are good to go,” he said before turning to his own clothing.

He noticed his trousers were tighter than he was used to, showing off more than he thought decent. But Roku seemed to have the same problem with his clothes. Perhaps it was just the style.

Another knock came at the door as Adan pulled up his trousers. He pulled his shirt over his head before opening the door.

Kirin stood in the doorway, a brush held in his hand.

“The masters want your hair brushed,” he said.

Nodding, Adan let him in. They spent the next twenty minutes untangling the mage’s shoulder length hair, the servant doing his best to stay away from Roku as they worked.

“He’s not going to bite you,” Adan winced as the brush was caught in his hair again.

“I’m sorry sir,” Kirin said quietly, taking a tiny step closer to Roku.

Master Dennet entered the room, watching closely as the servant continued brushing Adan’s hair. He wore a simple white robe, a strange rune on his forehead. Adan tried to recall where he had seen it, a strange swirling block of ink that seemed almost dark in nature. The closest he could come up with was the Alor runes for tragic love. Though the young mage had no idea why that would be drawn on his master's forehead.

“That is good enough,” Master Dennet said. “Adan, be sure to take the scroll with you.”

“Are you not dressing up, Master?” Adan asked cautiously.

A brief look of sorrow crossed Master Dennet’s eyes, the mage blinking quickly, as though to stem a tear before it formed.

“I am already dressed for my role in today’s events,” he said gruffly.

Kneeling beside Adan, the mage placed his hands upon the young man’s shoulders, looking into Adan's eyes.

“Adan, I release you from my service. Go forth into this day and the rest of your days as a free man.”

Adan bowed his head in acknowledgement. He knew it probably wouldn’t work, but he had to ask Lord Dennet one question.

“My lord, will you take my oath of fealty?”

“I will not accept your oath,” the older mage said quietly. “You have a different path to walk.”

Standing, Lord Dennet cleared his throat.

“Come. It is time we departed.”

 

Adan and Roku stood beside the carriage, waiting for Lord Dennet to get in. To their surprise, the mage climbed up onto the driver’s seat of the carriage, Master Jacob joining him quickly. The swordsman bore the same pure white robe as Lord Dennet, and bore a mark on his forehead, one Adan recognized as the Mathin rune of the familiar. Roku bore the same rune on his back, blending in with his stripes.

“Hurry please,” Lord Dennet called, and Adan and Roku slid into the carriage.

They began moving, Adan and Roku staring at each other.

“What is going on?” the tiger asked quietly.

“I have no idea. Master Jacob is marked as a familiar. The only reason for that would be if he was Lord Dennet’s familiar, but I don’t see how that could be. As far as I know, humans can not become familiars. And why is Lord Dennet driving us? It makes no sense.”

“The runes on their foreheads… They are Mathin runes,” Roku said. “The one on Lord Dennet represents a willing sacrifice.”

“But what is he sacrificing?”

The carriage circled the mountain as they talked, rising to the ninth level of the city and still climbing. Adan rubbed his eyes as they exited the mountain, the bright morning sun near blinding after the artificial light inside the mountain. There were no other carriages in sight and Adan frowned.

“I do not think they are taking us to a dinner,” he said quietly. “Be ready for trouble.”

“Would Lord Dennet really hurt you? Especially after all the effort he and Master Jacob put into training you?”

“I do not know, but I will not dismiss it as a possibility.”

They drew to a stop before a large gatehouse. Moments later, Adan heard the grinding of a portcullis raising. The carriage began moving again, and they passed through a gatehouse.

“We are heading toward the palace,” Roku said.

Adan looked ahead of them, seeing the massive building spreading out before them. Built into the mountainside, the palace seemed almost small for the home of the Merasin king, though it almost seemed to ring the entire crown of the mountain. The full effect was one of understated power, a watchfulness over everything around.

The carriage pulled into a circular path, stopping again in front of the palace. A light rapping on the top of the carriage signalled them to get out, Adan calling up magical energy as he stepped outside.

What he saw stunned the young mage. Lord Dennet and Master Jacob were embracing, kissing as only lovers would. Lord Dennet pulled back slowly, gazing into Master Jacob’s eyes as he whispered something to the swordsman.

Master Jacob nodded, the two seeming to steel themselves. They descended from the carriage as a pair of palace guards approached.

“Peace Adan. Release your magic,” Lord Dennet said.

Confused, Adan let the energy fade back into his body. The guards stood before them, hands touching their weapons nervously at the sight of Roku.

“You were warned of our arrival, I believe,” Lord Dennet said, stepping forward.

“Yes my lord,” one of the guards nodded.

Lord Dennet turned toward Adan and Roku.

“You will go with one of these guards. He will see to it you are taken care of. This is the last time you will see me. It has been an honor to train you Adan.”

The older mage bowed deeply, Adan’s jaw dropping at the gesture.

"Sir… what are you doing…?"

Master Dennet smiled tightly.

"It is a sign of respect," he said.

Adan bowed in return, a mixture of emotions buried inside him, chiefly confusion.

The guard to their left stepped forward, glancing at Roku warily.

“Follow me please,” he said before turning away.

Looking at Lord Dennet one last time, Adan slowly started after the guard, Roku at his side. They passed silently into the palace, Adan and Roku gazing around in wonder. Tapestries hung from the walls, chandeliers gave off light every ten feet. There were even windows with glass in them, many of them open to catch a breeze.

Servants of all kinds rushed around, some cleaning the walls and carpets, others carrying various cloths and sheets. Adan and Roku remained close to their escort, both concerned with getting lost in the chaos.

They were led to a quiet corridor and shown a door made of dark wood.

“Through here please,” the guard motioned.

Adan opened the door, Roku entering the room first. The door closed heavily behind them, leaving the two in complete silence.

“A silence spell,” Adan said, looking at the door with a nervous frown.

Gazing around, the mage saw they were in a small study, a fire burning in a brazier, giving the room a warm feel to it. A desk sat near the far wall, a seat on either side of it.

“Are we supposed to sit?” Roku asked.

“I do not know,” Adan replied. “I think we should stand.”

The door opened nearly thirty minutes later, a man entering the room. He was aged, grey hair mixed liberally with fiery red hair upon his head. A fine tunic covered his body, leather trousers and a pair of knee high riding boots finishing the look.

Adan saw immediately through the guise, throwing himself to the ground. Roku followed a moment later, confused.

“Your Majesty…” Adan breathed fearfully.

“Stand up please,” the man said in a firm voice.

Rising, Adan bowed his head respectfully, not daring to look his king in the eye.

“I take it you do not know why you are here.”

“No, Your Majesty,” Adan said.

“I knew he would not fail me.”

There was a tone of sorrow in the king’s voice.

“You are a mage, correct? A master of transmutation?”

“Yes Your Majesty.”

“And this is your familiar, Roku. He is an impressive creation.”

“Thank you Your Majesty.”

The king of Meras stepped toward Adan, a finger lifting the mage’s chin. Adan found himself looking at a kind and gentle face.

“We have much to discuss,” the king said. “Let us sit, and I will start from the beginning.”

 

“I will start with what you should already know, and try to fill in the blank spots from there. Fourteen years ago, you were taken in by Lord Dennet of Zyrel and Master Jacob, Third Sword of Meras. They raised you as their own, ensuring you had the finest education.

“Fourteen years ago, my wife was poisoned by an assassin in the hopes that the poison would be passed to my child as he nursed, killing any chance of my having an heir. They failed, and only my wife was killed.

“Still, where one assassin could fail, another might succeed. I sent my son away in the hope that he would be safe. Alas, it was not to be so. I received word he and his caretakers were killed in a rockslide a year ago.

“What no one knew was I had two sons, twins. Lord Dennet offered to care for one of them, and I accepted the offer. I knew I could trust him to do what was best for Meras. And he did. You turned into a fine young man.”

Adan’s mouth hung open. Roku nudged his leg gently, and the mage shook his head slightly.

“I… I can’t be your son… Master- Lord Dennet would have told me-”

“I instructed him not to tell you. You were to be raised without the benefits of status. I believed it would benefit you in the long run. You were born Prince Adonis, third of your name and named after me. You are the heir to the throne.”

The king smiled slightly.

“I know this is a lot to take in. Take your time.”

“Can I ask where Lord Dennet is Your Majesty?” Adan asked quietly.

King Adonis’ face soured.

“He was my best friend. I want you to know that. But he is also a security risk, and he knew that. He realised it long before I did.”

“He is dead then…”

“He died in his own way, beside the man he loved. I watched as he breathed his last. It was the least I could do to honour his life.”

Adan swallowed heavily past a lump in his throat.

“C-can I have a moment alone please Your Majesty?”

King Adonis nodded, standing. He crossed the room, stepping outside and closing the door behind him.

Roku placed an arm around Adan as the mage broke down sobbing.

“He knew it was going to happen,” the tiger said quietly. “And he went willingly. There would have been no other way.”

“Why would he agree to this? He was like a father to me Roku. Why would he…”

Adan swallowed tightly, tears flowing freely.

“I did not even care that I was his slave. He never treated me as one. I guess I know why now.”

“Maybe you should look at Master Dennet's scroll now,” Roku suggested.

Nodding, Adan pulled the parchment out of his shirt shakily. Unrolling it, he found a large brass key and a coded letter.

Adan took a deep breath, calming himself, before casting a spell all mages learned, Read Tongues. The writing mixed together, sorting itself out a second later.

“Prince Adonis. By the time you read this, you will know the truth of your heritage. Please forgive me for my secrecy. It was for your own good.

“I know I will not live to see you claim your kingdom. I am at peace with this, as is Jacob. Know that we both loved you as though you were our son. Enclosed is the key to the lord’s manor in Zyrel. Traditionally Zyrel has always belonged to the crown. I never truly saw myself as lord of the town, merely as a steward. It is my dying wish that you take over the town.

“It has been an honour to serve the realm, and you. Your servant, Dennet.”

Adan held the key tightly, shaking as he reread the letter. Standing, the man carried the parchment to the brazier, letting it burn away the last words Dennet gave to him. It wouldn’t be right to keep the letter when Dennet gave his life for a secret.

Roku embraced Adan, rubbing his back soothingly.

“Can you take the key?” Adan asked quietly, handing it to the tiger.

Nodding, Roku slipped the key into his shirt.

“Do you feel any better?”

“Not really. How does one feel better after being told the person who raised them is dead by his own hand? But I guess I have to hide it.”

Adan let out a strangled laugh.

“Me… a fucking prince. I would rather be a kingsman.”

"Are you not? As the son of a king, you do the king’s bidding, for the betterment of the realm. Is that not what being a kingsman is all about?” Roku pointed out.

Adan shook his head.

“My familiar is showing me up…”

Taking a deep breath, he moved to the door, knocking on it lightly. The door opened and King Adonis stepped back into the room.

“Your Majesty… or should I call you Father?” Adan asked quietly.

“I do not feel I have earned the right for you to call me Father, but if you wish to do so, I will not stop you,” Adonis smiled at his son.

“Can you tell me about Master Jacob? I never realized he was Master Dennet's lover before today.”

Adonis’ smile again turned into a frown.

“Jacob and I never really got along. He was a peasant near the border of Karain who took in a young orphan. When I met him, he had… some words about our relations with our neighbor. One of my guards took offense and cut out his tongue before I could stop him. The guard was stripped of his rank and I took Jacob and his charge in. The young orphan was Dennet, and he was on the run from Karain for the use of necromantic magic. I had my teachers work with both of them, and they both flourished under the training. Jacob rose to the rank of Third Sword, but never seemed to have the ambition to rise any higher.

“I knew Dennet better. We often trained together, and I got him to tell me about his life in Karain. Eventually we became friends and he told me he had feelings for Jacob. I convinced him to act on them and the next thing I knew he had somehow made the swordsman his familiar. I do not know how it happened, or how they worked it out. When I found out, I told them to keep their connection a secret. Creating a familiar is risky enough, but a mage connecting himself to another person? It could cause chaos if the wrong person found out.”

The king let out a deep sigh.

“I am going to miss him,” he said.

“But why did he die? I do not understand,” Adan said.

“Simply put, he realised he knew too much about you. And he cared about you too much, if that is possible. What if someone found out he raised you? They could steal him away to get at you. He removed himself so that would not happen.”

“That reasoning is flawed,” Adan said. “He cannot be the only one to care about me. I can not go through life without anyone in it.”

“Flawed or not, it is too late to do anything about it. And talking about it is going to make us even more upset.”

Roku touched Adan’s arm gently. Adan took a deep breath, closing his eyes. There was nothing he could do. What was done was done.

“I understand,” he said quietly.

“For what it is worth, I am sorry Adonis.”

“Can you call me Adan please?”

The king nodded.

“Thank you… Father.”

Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

It was the only result which made any sense given the way Adan was raised and treated. Royal courts are five with intrigue. If assassins tried to end the royal line once, they're bound to try again. Adam's sword training will probably be needed before long.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I suspected that Adan was the Prince with the finery of the clothes, but when the Master said he would walk a different path, it was confirmed. I didn't see the twin part, though. I'm really enjoying this story. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I swear, the second he showed up in white robes, I just knew he was destined to die.  This was a twist that I would never have seen coming, well done.  At least Dennet and Jacob went together, and maybe that is all that can be asked in the end.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..