Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 2,010 Words
  • 806 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

For The King - 10. Chapter 10

Dim light filled the air, the sun just below the horizon. Roku's hands shook him again, the mage groaning as he woke up. His head ached, his body sore from the night before. The mage felt miserable, yet he put his feelings aside for the moment.

Nearby, Adan heard the wheels of a wagon creak by, a friendly voice calling to them. Lady Corin responded in kind, already packing for the day's journey. Adan sat up with a yawn, Roku smiling hesitantly at him.

"Lady Corin said I should wake you."

"Thank you," Adan said.

He stood up and stretched, before rolling up his bedroll. Sticking it in the back of the wagon, the mage moved toward Lady Corin, helping her harness the horses to the wagon once more. This wasn't the first time he'd had to get up at a moment's notice, and it certainly wouldn't be the last time either.

"I'm afraid I do not have much in the way of breakfast," Lady Corin said as they finished.

"That is okay," Adan said, focusing on a conjuration spell.

A loaf of bread appeared in his hands, and he broke it into thirds, handing part to Roku and Lady Corin.

"Another benefit of magic, I see," the woman smiled, before attacking her bread with a ferocity that surprised Adan.

Roku stared at his bread silently, his eyes drooping. The tiger wobbled slightly, startling when Adan placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Are you okay?" the mage asked.

"I feel... exhausted? That is what this is, right?"

Adan helped Roku to his feet, supporting the tiger as he moved toward the wagon. Roku sat on the back of the wagon, a look of concern on his face.

"I am okay, right?"

"You will be. You just need to sleep," Adan smiled, folding the tiger's cloak around him. "Lay down. Lady Corin and I will take care of everything else."

Nodding, Roku leaned back against a barrel in the wagon, nibbling on his bread. Satisfied, Adan looked around the small campsite, if it could even be called a campsite.

"Your Highness, I believe it would be best if you remained anonymous until we reach Zyrel," Lady Corin said, handing him a cloak.

"Then perhaps you would refrain from using my title," Adan smirked slightly.

"Of course Sir-"

"Adan will do fine."

The mage passed a hand over his face, adopting a plain appearance. His eyes shifted to a neutral blue, the bridge of his nose freckling slightly as his hair transformed into a deep red.

"Can you change anything you want?" Lady Corin questioned as Adan climbed into the driver's seat of the wagon.

"Pretty much. When I was first learning transmutations, I made Mas- I made my master's cat into a frog for a day. She was hopping for a week after," Adan chuckled. "I had to polish every sword in the guardhouse for that one."

He clucked at the horses, the wagon lurching into motion. Behind him, Roku curled up, a hand sliding through a slat to touch Adan's lower back. The contact seemed to be enough for the tiger to fall asleep, and he was soon snoring loudly.

"That is a person who loves you very much," Lady Corin said. "It must be hard for your father to make you take a consort."

"Roku does not love me. He is just loyal-"

"Trust me, I know what love looks like. He's got it bad for you."

Adan shook his head silently. So, the secret was out. Not that he had been trying that hard to keep it a secret.

"It is common for royalty to take lovers outside of their consort. In fact, the khan of Korain has two women that he beds frequently. Of course, you would have to find a consort that accepts that you might not touch her that often."

"Speaking of consorts, I am still surprised that you do not wish to be my consort," Adan said.

"An assassin tried to murder you last night, and you wonder why I would not wish to be your consort? You lead a dangerous life, one I feel ill suited for. Besides, I have a few personal issues that would make such a life difficult."

"Does it have to do with you dressing masculine?"

"As a matter of fact, it does. I told you I would not make a good mother."

"I am guessing you would rather be a father."

Lady Corin chuckled as they turned around a bend in the road.

"You know, you would have made an excellent Rogue if things had been different," she said.

"I may have a solution for both of us," Adan said.

The words surprised him. He barely knew Lady Corin, and in fact, she seemed to be in the thick of things. It was suspicious, but Lord Arien had said she was trustworthy. Adan wasn't sure he was ready to accuse the leader of the Darinhal Rogues, and his father's spymaster, of treason.

"Really? And what is your solution?"

"Become my consort, bear me a child, and I will look up a spell to make you a man afterward."

Lady Corin studied the mage carefully, Adan staring ahead as the wagon creaked along. What he proposed was a little... drastic? Unusual? But he felt that Lady Corin would at least let him alone most of the time. Plus, it would probably be a good way to keep an eye on the former Rogue. His father would be pleased, Lady Corin would be happy, and he and Roku could continue to explore their feelings without endangering the continuation of his dynasty.

"Forgive me, but I would rather not take that step unless I knew your spell would work. But if you found a spell beforehand, I would have little problem with this arrangement," Lady Corin said.

"Then it is settled. I will find a spell to turn you into a man, and you will bear me a child."

   

The wagon rumbled out of the forest, Adan breathing a sigh of relief as they left the woods behind. The Third Merasin Legion patrolled the roads constantly, keeping travellers safe, but he still felt nervous sleeping in the woods. At least with Dennet he had the comfort of knowing a master mage travelled with him. Now he was travelling with a familiar who was unfamiliar with the world and a strange woman- who he had decided to make his consort- who he wasn't sure he could trust. To add to that, the Third Merasin was supposed to be heading north, if they hadn't already.

It didn't make for easy sleeping outside of the woods, but adding in the darkness caused by trees blocking out both star and moonlight made his uneasiness worse. The mage was glad the trees were behind them.

Three days into their journey, and all that was left was the trek across the plains. He was eager to be done with the journey, and Adan knew his companions felt the same way. Roku was walking beside the wagon, stretching his legs. Adan would be walking with him, but the tiger had insisted he drive the wagon.

He knew Roku wasn't happy about the deal he had made with Lady Corin. The tiger wouldn't complain of course, and he knew that what Adan had done was supposed to help them. But he seemed a little distant over the past couple of days, as though he was trying to give Adan and Lady Corin time and space to talk.

Maybe it was a good idea. Adan should get to know his future consort, try to determine who he had invited to spend the rest of his life with. Lady Corin was a handsome woman, he had to admit. But beyond that and her desire to be a man, she was a complete mystery to him.

"It occurs to me that I do not know much about you, Lady Corin," he said, breaking the dullness of the ride.

"I believe that is my own fault. I have found that talking too much can give away more information than is healthy."

"But if you are to be my consort, it would be best for me to know at least some things about you."

"That is true," Lady Corin said thoughtfully. "But I keep many secrets that would prove dangerous even for you."

"Surely your favourite colour is not a matter of national security," Adan chuckled.

"I don't have one, actually. Though I have always found throatwort to be a rather beautiful flower. Useful too."

"It is a rather nice plant," Adan nodded. "I once made a potion to help someone with a bad heart. Throatwort was one of the ingredients."

"Ah, so you study alchemy as well? My studies don't extend to healing, unfortunately."

"Poisons?"

"Naturally," Lady Corin smiled. "I am a literal heart stopper."

"That makes having you as a consort seem less appealing," Adan admitted.

"I know."

Lady Corin had a small smile on her face as she said the words.

"If you are not happy with this arrangement-"

"Oh no, you misunderstand. I am content with our arrangement. I just fear that your familiar is less than pleased."

"Roku?"

The tiger's ears flicked at his name, but the familiar just continued walking.

"Roku, you know this is necessary," Adan said.

"Of course. I am pleased you found a consort you can spend your life with," Roku said neutrally.

"Well, let's not be hasty. I don't want to spend the rest of my life as the Royal Consort," Lady Corin denied. "The deal was an heir to the throne and you transform me into a man."

Adan nodded.

"I just assumed you'd stay on as my consort afterward."

Lady Corin laughed.

"Fuck no! Excuse me... I have no desire to be the Royal Consort. This is a business arrangement for me. Once it's complete, I'm heading east to start a new life at the estate Lord Arien promised me when he plucked me off the streets."

The prince was silent, thinking as he watched the sun touch the horizon. They would have to camp soon, and wait until morning to continue.

He couldn't say he was surprised at Lady Corin's choice to treat this as a business transaction. Adan had never wanted to be a prince either, and he had no ambition to become king.

"Are you happy with the arrangements now, Roku?"

The tiger nodded briefly.

"It never mattered whether I was happy or not. All that matters is what is best for the kingdom," he said.

Adan pulled to the side of the road, jumping off of the wagon.

"I think this is a good enough spot for tonight."

Grabbing Roku's arm, the mage pulled his familiar away from the wagon, Lady Corin staring after them.

"Roku, you matter to me. Your happiness matters to me. You are not my familiar, you are my friend. By taking Lady Corin as my Royal Consort, I can satisfy my father and remain free to be with you," Adan said quietly. "I promise, we will be together in Zyrel, out of the eyes of the public."

"You do not need to worry about me. I will always be by your side," Roku said.

"I am not worried about you being at my side, I am worried that you think Lady Corin will take my love. I swear to you that will never happen."

"Do you wish me to be friends with Lady Corin?" Roku asked.

"I wish you to do what would make you happy."

Roku's hand gripped Adan's wrist tightly, the tiger pulling the mage off balance. Catching the man against his chest, Roku shoved his mouth against Adan's, kissing him deeply.

"This makes me happy," the familiar rumbled, gazing into his maker's eyes.

"It makes me happy as well," Adan smiled. "My muscles are a little sore."

The two beamed at each other, Roku understanding the unspoken request.

"I can rub them before you go to bed."

Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Adan has found a unique solution to the Royal Consort problem. She will certainly be no threat to Adam's relationship with Roku.

Is it just me or is this trip going a bit too easily?

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Things seem to be going rather smoothly. Has Adam found a solution to the Royal Consort Problem, Lady Corin would be no threat to his relationship with Roku.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..