Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,408 Words
  • 1,165 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

For The King - 13. Chapter 13

He was calm, serene even, floating in a pool of crystal clear water, Roku by his side. It seemed so right, though Adan experienced a moment of disconnect with his reality. Roku hated the water, didn’t he?

No, that was right, he had taught his familiar, his love, to embrace the water.

“This can all be yours,” a woman’s voice whispered.

It was familiar, a strange feeling passing over Adan like he had been here, done this before.

“This is life as it should be for a prince, easy, peaceful, no eyes to intrude upon your serenity.”

That word, it was as though the voice was reading his thoughts…

“Adan?”

His body shook lightly, and Adan’s eyes flew open.

He was laying with his cheek on a book, crystal light shining through the library. Roku’s hand rested on his own, and as Adan looked up, he found the tiger looking at him anxiously.

“You fell asleep in your book.”

Yawning, the mage sat up, rubbing his eyes.

“Sorry. Do you know what the time is?” he asked

“Three hours past sundown. I was just coming to show you this.”

Roku held out a tome, a conjuration symbol on the cover. Adan frowned as he took the book.

“Conjuration? We’re looking for transmutation or divination,” he said wearily.

“I know, but this had a section on sex. Conjuring a creature of a specific sex. I thought it could be useful if you can translate it to transmutation.”

Adan dropped his head back on the table with a groan, his head starting to ache.

“I cannot do this any more…” he moaned.

“I know I have not made this any easier for you, and I am sorry,” Roku said quietly.

The tiger’s hands wrapped around Adan, Roku lifting his maker in his furry arms.

“The servants-”

“Will understand that their prince is tired. Or they will answer to a pissed-off tiger.”

There was a hard edge to Roku’s voice, and Adan nearly melted at the words. His tiger would protect him, help him. He just needed to accept that help. It would make his life… easier…

“I had a dream…” he mumbled into Roku’s chest, swinging gently as he was carried through the halls of his home. “We were swimming in a pond. I think I know where it is…”

The next thing he knew, Adan was sitting on a bed, a man helping him remove his shoes.

“Athilan…? Where is Roku?”

“Your familiar went to tend to Lady Corin, Your Highness.”

The news worried Adan for some reason, though he couldn’t figure out why. His head was spinning, round and round, the walls of the room blurring as he fell back on the bed.

“Sir, you should dress for bed so you will sleep more comfortably,” Athilan said, his voice barely making it into Adan’s ears. The mage’s head pounded, thumping harshly like something was inside...

Adan’s eyes closed briefly, and then Roku was staring down at him again.

“My head hurts… Something is trying to escape…”

“He is delirious-”

Eyes closed.

Silence.

Then…

“...Ezira? Ezira, can you hear me?”

A man, staring down at him, no, her. This wasn’t his body. This wasn’t his… mind?

“Wake up Ezira! End the spell!”

His eyes, their eyes were open, staring at this man who looked startlingly like his father. He felt an outpouring of love for this man who wore their amulet, the culmination of years of research.

Calm… peace… A valley surrounded by trees…

The man vanished, replaced with the valley from Adan’s dreams.

“You are safe, free, floating in a pond…”

So he was. Floating serenely, Roku by his side. Something was different. A presence that should have been there suddenly… was not.

“Adan… Adan… Adan…”

“Adan! Wake up!”

Roku?

Suddenly the valley was gone. Roku was shaking him again, vigorously.

“Adan? Can you hear us?”

He groaned as his eyes opened, his head pounding. Rolling, Adan threw his head over the side of the bed, releasing a meagre dinner onto the floor. He coughed violently, Roku’s hand stroking his back gently even as the tiger stepped out of the vomit covering his feet.

“Gross,” Lady Corin muttered, motioning for Athilan to clean the mess.

Before the man could move, Adan threw up again, his stomach revolting with his head. Tears streamed from his eyes as his gut wrenched with cramps, his throat covered in the burning of his stomach acids.

His entire body hurt like he had been sparring with Master Jacob for hours. Even Roku’s hand on him couldn’t soothe the mage.

“...sit up. Come on…”

Dimly he realized he was rising, Roku carefully settling him against the headboard. A furry hand was pressed against his forehead.

“He does not feel hot…”

“What would a familiar know of healing?”

“Enough,” Roku said icily. “Make yourself useful and fill a warm bath.”

Adan’s shirt was pulled off, his chest bared to the room. He reached weakly for the shirt, Roku pushing his hand aside.

“No, you need to take a bath,” the tiger said gently. “Athilan, can you get a ginger root tea please, when you get the chance?”

“Of course,” Athilan said, still kneeling beside the bed.

The sound of water pouring filled the room, Lady Corin muttering angrily as she left the room. Adan slapped at Roku’s hand as the tiger reached for his trousers, his familiar taking a deep breath.

“Fine. We’ll wait until Athilan is gone,” he said.

The manservant stood, bowing slightly. He left the room, the door closing softly behind him.

Roku reached for Adan’s trousers again, Adan shivering as the tiger’s hands ran over his body.

“What happened?” Roku asked.

“I do not know... “ Adan croaked. “I think someone was trying to talk to me in my dreams, but you woke me up and they got stuck.”

“Are they still in your head?”

Roku lifted his maker gently, carrying him to the tub. Setting Adan carefully into the water, the tiger took up a small cloth, dipping it in the water. He began washing Adan, cleaning the dirt from the man.

“I think she’s gone. But I think she’s been in my dreams before.”

Slowly the pain in his head was receding, Roku massaging his scalp lightly. Soon, all that remained was the pain in his eyes from reading for too long. He could handle that pain.

The door opened, Athilan carrying a tray with a goblet on it. He set it beside the tub with a bow.

“Will you require anything else sir?” he asked Roku.

“No. You may leave us,” the tiger replied.

With another bow, the man left. Roku picked up the cup, holding it up to Adan’s lips.

“Drink. It will make you feel better,” he urged.

Adan took a sip of the tea, grimacing slightly at the grassy taste of the liquid.

“You read Miragald’s Guide to Basic Alchemy?” he asked.

The tiger nodded.

“It looked interesting. But it was dry.”

“I agree. Master Dennet would make me read it when I mixed a potion wrong. He always said if I was confusing the advanced skills, the fault was with my comprehension, which started with the basics. I must have read that damned book at least a hundred times.”

“So your sickness… It was caused by someone entering your mind?”

“I do not think she meant to harm me. It was strange. All she said was that… you and I should be free…”

Adan frowned, closing his eyes. The image of the valley came back to him, aided by the feel of the water on his back.

“It can all be ours…” he whispered. “I think they were encouraging me to give up my throne. And I do not believe they meant me to remember their presence…”

“But if you did not remember them, how would you remember their message?”

“Subliminally. If they put the idea in my mind, the slightest action could cause me to do as they suggested. An army of mystical creatures arriving in Meras, a familiar trying to kill me… a threatening letter sealed by the one who would take my place. A man who looks like Father…”

He looked up at the tiger suddenly, a tiny smile on his face.

“Did you seriously order Lady Corin to fill the bath?”

Roku nodded, his ears flattening warily.

“Fuck. I will probably hear about that tomorrow.”

“I am sorry.”

“You should not be sorry. You did what you thought was best, and it seems to have worked. I am grateful,” Adan said. “There is one thing about that dream that I seem to remember vividly…”

Standing shakily, Adan allowed himself to fall into Roku, water soaking into the tiger’s clothing. He kissed his familiar gently, Roku pulling away a second later.

“We… we should wash out your mouth,” he said.

Roku walked into the bedroom, returning a moment later with a silver pitcher. Adan poured the water within into his mouth straight from the pitcher. He shook his head slowly, before spitting the water into the tub. With a murmured spell, the mage freshened the liquid.

“Would you like me to get Lady Corin for you?”

“No. I want to be with you,” Adan replied.

“But your head… And your stomach-”

Adan held a finger up to Roku’s lips.

“My head is fine, and my stomach is recovering. I believe I will be okay, as long as you are not planning on punching me in the gut,” he smiled tiredly.

“I should go research this person who is getting into your head.”

“Why? I already know what I need to do. At least, I think I do. Besides, now that I know what is happening, it will be easier to keep her from influencing me.”

Adan stepped out of the tub, Roku handing the mage a towel.

“I have been running around near nonstop since we left Darinhal. What I need right now is rest, and that will only come with you by my side.”

“I am confused,” Roku said, stepping away from Adan. “Eran, or the familiar, tried to kill you. But this person did not. Why?”

“Maybe they are trying a different approach. Maybe killing me through a dream would have killed her too. She had someone who cared for her, I know that much. I doubt he would have allowed her to sacrifice herself so he could be king. Not even king, since my father still lives.”

Adan puzzled through his thoughts as he dried himself.

“With my abdication or death, this person would need to get my father to make him the crown prince. He has to know my father would never make a stranger heir to the throne. Unless…”

Pieces of the puzzle started falling into place. Mysterious letters that began arriving just after Adan became the heir to the throne… a man that looked like his father…

“Do you think he could be my brother?”

“But your brother perished two years ago,” Roku pointed out.

“I know. Still… Maybe I should try to get that woman to return to my dreams. I might learn something.”

“No,” Roku said instantly. “I do not want you risking your life like that. What if she does try to kill you next time?”

“There’s no stopping her until I get that amulet made. And I am not a jeweller. We will need to go to town an find someone who can craft it properly. I do not have the money for that.”

“You are the prince Adan. You have all the money in the kingdom.”

“Where?”

“I am sure Marel will know,” Roku replied. “We can ask her tomorrow.”

“This is a process Roku. And until it is finished, I will just have to accept that my dreams are not my own. And act accordingly.”

 

Roku’s arms were wrapped around his naked body, the tiger wearing a kilt Adan had fashioned to keep their bodies apart. The mage loved the feeling of his familiar resting against him, but he was not ready to do anything more with him. He still struggled daily with the knowledge that their love, for he knew that he loved the tiger, was severely frowned upon in Meras. Sure, he was the prince, and he felt as though he should not be held to the social rules of the nobility, judgmental as they were. But he also knew that he and his father only remained prince and king through the noble’s grace.

Maybe in time, he would be able to change their view of his love for Roku. But for now, they would have to remain hidden as much as possible.

His father clearly knew if he had designed Adan’s ring, the ring that now sat on table beside his bed. Did he approve? Adan could only hope so. The prince had a feeling his father had been instrumental in getting Master Jacob and Dennet together. That didn’t mean much compared to his son loving a creature he had created. But Adan decided to take it as a promising sign. If he didn’t it would ruin him.

Roku’s head nestled against Adan’s shoulder, murmuring quietly in his sleep. His breath washed over the mage, Adan’s body reacting near instantly. Was it normal to have thoughts of sex this often? He did not deny that he wanted Roku, wanted the tiger to be one with him in carnal passion. As his eyes closed for the last time that night, he imagined how it would feel to have his familiar inside him, slowly filling him, the closeness of the tiger nearly orgasmic in and of itself.

His eyes opened to the valley once more. Adan was sitting in Roku’s lap, the tiger’s arms holding him tight. They were naked together, and he could feel every inch of his familiar’s body, a feeling that filled him with a deep desire.

The presence from before filled the valley, a cautious feel to it, to her.

“I know who you are,” he said. “Why the secrets, Ezira?”

She appeared before him, a small smile on her face.

“If you had known, you would have defended yourself more closely.”

“Did you write the letters?”

Ezira nodded.

“We could not reach you this way at the time. Darinhal’s wards are strong, thanks to Lord Dennet, among others. We had no way of knowing who you were, what you wanted. Your life upsets plans sixteen years in the making.”

“Is my brother part of those plans?”

“That I cannot say. But I will admit, this was a plan to convince you to abdicate peacefully. Should you refuse, you, and all of Meras with you, will suffer.”

“And if I accept, Roku and I die. A usurper cannot have a living threat to his power,” Adan said.

“That was the plan originally, yes. However, I see hope for you and Roku.”

Adan froze, his eyes searching out Ezira’s.

“You are the first other than myself to use his name…”

“He is a living being. He has a name, why would I not use it?”

A warmth filled Adan’s arms. Maybe this stranger who wanted his throne was the only one in the world who understood his feelings.

“I cannot answer you for myself, my father, or Roku. Not yet,” he said.

“I understand. Should it come to death, we would make it swift and merciful. But I hope it will not come to that,” Ezira replied.

“My brother cares for you. I saw it.”

“I had a feeling,” Ezira nodded. “I hope I did not cause you too much discomfort. Roku awakening you trapped my conscience within you. Had I not succeeded in knocking you out, you would have died.”

“The pain passed. You realise I will have to tell my father my brother is alive.”

“I understand. It is early still. Roku’s error will force our hand.”

“Is there a way for me to speak with him?”

“A message to the Khan. It will find its way to us.”

“We are in my dream, correct?”

“We are in your memory. One I modified. You do not remember it, but Lord Dennet brought you here once, hoping to teach you to calm your inner energies. It took several attempts.”

Adan frowned.

“Then you can see every part of me. Who I am, who I was. You are stealing my very thoughts.”

“I will not deny the truth.”

“Why? Why does my brother not return to Meras, to Darinhal?”

“I cannot answer that.”

Silence followed, Roku’s chest pressing against Adan as he breathed in and out. Adan’s body had finally calmed itself, allowing the mage to think more clearly.

“How long do we have to answer?”

“Until spring. Then it will be too late for Meras. You may send your answer to us-”

“I see little reason for us to be foes Ezira. My mind is open to you until I receive instruction from my father.”

It was a stupid offer, one that would likely end with Adan and Roku dying. But Ezira was the only one who seemed to appreciate Roku.

“It is because I feel a kinship with him,” the woman said, pulling the thought from Adan.

She turned, sweeping her hair away from the back of her neck to reveal the mark of the familiar.

“In Korain, we are viewed as prized property. It is not uncommon for us to become lovers to those who choose us. Lord Dennet learned the secret to performing the ritual while he still lived in Korain, and later used it to bind his love to himself, in the manner of his people.”

“Dennet was a man of Meras. He renounced his ties to Korain,” Adan said.

“No. Lord Dennet served both Meras and Korain. He served us by keeping the peace between our two lands. Do not allow his life’s work to be in vain, Prince Adonis. I will return as I am able. There is much we might learn from each other.”

Ezira faded from view, from Adan’s mind. Roku’s arms finally relaxed around him, and belatedly the prince realised his familiar had been holding him down, preventing him from moving.

The tiger’s muzzle rubbed against him as the world around him faded. A weight appeared on Adan’s legs, Roku’s leg laying across him. They were wrapped up in each other, and the mage was unsure how it had happened. Roku’s kilt had slipped a few inches, his belly fur tickling Adan’s hip.

Roku’s tongue slipped out of his mouth, lightly running across Adan’s collarbone. Adan flinched at the roughness, startling the tiger.

“Wha... Adan? Are you okay?” he asked blearily.

“Yeah. You were licking me.”

“Oh. Sorry.”

Roku’s leg slid off of Adan, the mage letting a tiny moan of protest escape him.

“Did you want to get up?”

“No. I want to lay here with you.”

No, it was more. He wanted more. Rolling over, Adan draped his arm around Roku, gazing into his tired eyes. His rod pressed against the tiger’s stomach and he placed a leg over Roku’s.

“What is this about Adan? You are moving a little fast here,” Roku said uncertainly.

“I love you. And I want to show you my love while I can.”

“While you can…? Did you see that woman again?”

Adan nodded.

“She wants me to abdicate. We have until spring. I plan to make good use of the time left to us.”

“And Lady Corin?”

“It is already too late for me to have a son. Whatever happens, will happen with or without her.”

“We do not need to do this right now. If we are intimate with each other, I want it to be an experience you will remember for the right reasons, not because you are scared,” Roku whispered.

Nodding slowly, Adan backed off, though he kept a hand on the tiger’s chest.

“We have until spring. The traditional time for an army to march. We should send a letter to Darinhal,” Roku said.

“Right. I suppose we should get up.”

Roku stopped Adan, kissing the prince gently.

“Whatever happens, I will stay by your side. You will always have one person who has faith in you, even if you lose faith in yourself,” he said.

Standing, the tiger went to the bedroom door, calling Athilan to the room. They had much that needed to be done.

Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Color me very confused; how could someone make such a huge mistake about the Crown Prince having died?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So many questions so little answers. Things aren’t going to be peaceful anytime soon and poor Adan can’t have any privacy even in his dreams. Life of a noble isn’t enviable.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

We finally get a glimmer of who might be behind all the attempts on Adan's life if the girl invading his dreams can be believed. The wards at the king's palace were too strong. One would think Denett would have strong wards too unless they expired with his death. I'm not sure where Adan goes from here. Hiding plans and thoughts from someone who can enter your mind will be next to impossible.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. So someone tries to poison Adan and he is saved by Roku. 

It wasn't so much a poisoning as much as an involuntary trapping.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..