Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,417 Words
  • 1,899 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

For The King - 7. Chapter 7

Adan coughed, wine running from his mouth. He wiped his mouth, staring at his father in horror.

“You want me to do what?!”

“It is something you would have to do eventually. I merely think it best if you do it now rather than later.”

“Three days as a prince and you want me to find a consort…” Adan shuddered.

Roku looked between the two with interest.

“Adan, if I may, I believe your father is merely concerned-”

“Thank you Roku. I am fully aware of why I should choose a wife. It does not make the idea any easier to deal with,” Adan said sharply.

Roku looked back down at the breakfast on his plate, his ears folding over.

“I have already begun arrangements for a ball in a week’s time. You do not have to choose a partner immediately, but this will give you an idea of who is eligible,” Adonis coaxed.

“Father, I am not certain I could have a family. It is not something that ever interested me.”

“Unfortunately this is one of those times where you must put aside your personal feelings for the good of the realm,” Adonis sighed. “If nothing else, you can have a wet nurse take care of any children you have."

Adan stabbed at the meat on his plate, scowling. He knew it made sense for him to have a child. If things were happening in Korain and they spread to Meras, it would be best for the royal family to have another heir if things went wrong. But there were still so many unknowns. This could end up being completely unnecessary.

“Can I wait until we actually know what is happening?”

“I am not expecting you to rush into a decision,” Adonis said.

“Forgive me Father, but that is exactly what this seems like.”

Adan pushed his plate away, standing up.

“I will be at the library,” he said shortly.

Outside the dining hall, the mage paused suddenly, Roku nearly running into his back. There was going to be a ball. And he had no idea how to dance.

 

“Step left, right hand…. And turn together…”

Adan pressed into Roku, gently turning the two of them to the left as Athilan guided them with a light beat. He was glad the servant knew how to dance. It seemed Dennet hadn’t thought of dancing as a necessary lesson. Then again, he had only ever complained about the posturing that happened at balls. Maybe Dennet had a good reason to avoid dancing.

“Swing around, and pick up the pace.”

Spinning once more, Adan found himself entwined in Roku’s arms. The tiger’s body pressed against them as the two paused.

“I think we got mixed up somewhere,” Adan laughed quietly.

“I like being mixed up with you,” Roku breathed.

“Prince Adan, you took the subservient part. I suggest you try the more dominant role,” Athilan interrupted.

Nodding, Adan pulled himself out of Roku’s arms, instantly missing the comfort of his familiar’s body. Their hands touched as they faced each other, and the dance began again.

“It’s a pivot, not a turn,” someone interrupted as they spun in each other’s arms.

Adan and Roku paused, looking at the door. A woman in mail armour bowed, holding out a bound scroll.

“I have a message for the prince,” she said.

Adan accepted the scroll, studying the woman closely. Her hair was cropped short, the armour hiding much of her figure. A long scar ran across her left cheek, angry and red. Adan guessed it couldn’t be that old of an injury.

“You may want to be careful with that. I found it left beside my bed three days ago. No one has read it, and the seal is not one anyone recognises,” the soldier continued.

“Who are you?” Adan questioned.

“Lady Corin, Your Highness.” the woman bowed again, glancing at Athilan.

The manservant backed out of the room with a bow of his own.

“I serve under Lord Arien,” Corin said quietly. “He called me back to the capitol after I received that letter. Unfortunately, it is unlikely I will be returning to the field.”

“I am sorry to hear that,” Adan said. “You should get out of that armour. I’m sure it is uncomfortable.”

“Thank you Sir,” Corin bowed.

She exited the room, leaving Roku and Adan alone. Adan unrolled the scroll, finding a short message that sent chills through his spine.

“Abdicate or perish.”

 

“Lord Arien promised he would find the person who wrote the letter, but I don’t see how he can. Corin reported the letter was there when she got to her quarters. It suggests that she was compromised a while ago and whoever did this was biding their time,” Adan said.

Roku scowled as they walked through the palace grounds. The wind blew around them, Adan closing his eyes as the breeze passed through his hair.

“I do not like this,” Roku growled. “We do not know anything.”

“We can theorize though. For example, if someone wants to kill me…

Adan paused, trying to wrap his head around that thought. Someone wanted to kill him. There was a huge difference between knowing it was a possibility and having it be a reality.

“If someone wants to kill me, the best chance would likely be at the ball Father is putting together.”

“Then maybe we shouldn’t have the ball,” Roku suggested.

“If we stop our lives every time we are in danger, nothing will get done,” Adan sighed. “As hard as it is, we have to trust our guards. I have to believe this is was M- Lord Dennet was training me for.”

The sound of blades clashing filled the air as they walked, guards practicing in the sparring ring.

“Adan!”

Eran jogged toward the two, a smile on his face. He slowed, looking at Roku with a puzzled expression.

“Isn’t that the prince’s familiar?” he asked.

“This is Roku,” Adan introduced with a smile.

Eran’s jaw dropped as he realized who Adan was.

“Your Highness!” he gasped, bowing deeply. “I apologise, I didn’t recognise you-”

“There was no harm done,” Adan smiled slightly. “In fact, I was hoping you could spar with us again.”

“If you wish it. But I am supposed to be going on duty now.”

“Oh. Well I would not want to get you in trouble. Roku can spar with me today.”

The tiger nodded.

“You should go. I wouldn't want you to be late,” he said.

“Thank you, Your Highness,” Eran said, bowing several times as he backed away.

Adan noticed several guards staring at them and he let out a quiet sigh. Handing a blade to Roku, he chose one for himself, ducking into the ring.

“I hope he does not hate me for hiding the truth from him.”

“If he does, then he was likely not good for you to be around,” Roku said, dropping into a ready stance.

“I know. I wanted to have a friend though," Adan frowned.

“Your position might not be conductive toward friendship,” Roku said.

They stepped together, blades clashing in a furious exchange before Roku brought his blade to Adan’s throat. The mage blinked in mild shock. His familiar hadn't bested him before.

“Is it so wrong to want to feel like a normal person?” Adan demanded as they parted again.

“You likely feel like a normal prince would. But really, what is normal?”

Adan lunged, knocking Roku’s blade aside and pressing the tip of his sword against the tiger’s gut.

“No more philosopher books for you,” he panted.

Roku chuckled, stepping away from the blade. Adan grunted, his sword dipping until it traced a line in the dirt at his feet.

“I am done,” he muttered, carrying the blade to the weapon rack.

He needed something, a semblance of normalcy. The mage left the ring, circling the barracks until he found a back entrance. Roku followed silently, the two stealing inside. Adan found a guard standing before the armoury. His hand twisted in the air, and he fought the man’s will briefly before the guard slumped to the ground. He would be asleep for at least thirty minutes.

Sneaking through the door, Adan pulled a sword from the wall, grabbing a cloth lying nearby. He sat with a quiet sigh, wiping the sword down. Not once had he ever imagined he would be willingly polishing swords, but the prince found the action soothing now, a brief return to the life he had once known.

Roku joined him on the floor, repeating the prince’s gestures on a second blade. They worked in silence, the familiar giving the mage space to think.

“Do you think Dennet would be disappointed in me?” Adan asked quietly a few minutes later.

“I did not know him as well as you did, but I feel like the man I did know would be proud that you have not let yourself be overwhelmed with your new position. You could have anything you desire, but you have not abused that power,” Roku replied.

“It is hard not to be overwhelmed. I was taught to rely on myself for what I needed, and now, having all these people tripping over themselves for me, it is unnerving.”

Roku held up his blade, examining it.

“So you find your moments of peace, and recover before you venture forth again.”

Adan smirked slightly, reaching over to scratch behind Roku’s ear.

“You are a smart tiger,” he said.

Their heads leaned in, lips barely an inch apart. Adan sighed, pulling back.

“What am I doing? Father expects me to bond with a woman, but I am in love with you. But you cannot be my consort,” he said.

“I cause you discomfort,” Roku breathed, looking away.

“No, it is not you,” Adan denied. “It is this whole fucking situation.”

He dropped the blade on the ground, burying his head into his knees. Roku moved over slowly, his hand touching Adan’s back gently.

“That message might have the answer,” the tiger said quietly. “If you abdicated, you would not have to deal with the king, right? I mean, there is obviously someone who would step forward to rule instead of you.”

Adan thought for a minute. A life where he was unknown, free to just practice his magic and make friends, or love whoever he wanted.

“No,” he sighed. “I could not be allowed to live with a claim to the throne. If I abdicate, we are both dead. We will think of something though. I do not want to stop loving you.”

Roku stood up, returning the blades to the wall. He brought two more back, handing one to Adan as he sat back down, and they continued polishing.

“Would it be so wrong to find peace in you?” Adan murmured, glancing at Roku. “You said yourself, I am a prince. I can have what I want.”

“I want you to find peace in me. I do not like to see you in distress, and if I can help, I would, however I can.”

Roku set his blade aside, his hand trailing slowly up Adan’s leg. Adan sucked in a breath, his eyes meeting the tiger’s as their lips connected. The tiger moved over the mage, pressing Adan firmly against the wall.

“I do not know exactly what love is, but I do care for you more deeply than anyone I have met,” Roku said quietly, his tail flicking slowly as he leaned in for another kiss.

The door opened suddenly, the guard Adan had knocked out charging in with his sword drawn.

“Halt!”

Adan threw up a magic shield, throwing himself between the guard and Roku.

“Stop! We are not here to cause harm!” he cried.

“Prince Adonis...?”

The guard dropped his sword, bowing low.

“Forgive me Your Highness! I didn’t know it was you!”

Allowing his shield to fall, Adan sighed in relief.

“”I apologise for sneaking in here. I wished for some peace from the world.”

“You can stay for as long as you wish, of course,” the guard said, his eyes glancing between Adan and Roku.

Adan bent and gathered the swords he and Roku had been working on. He replaced them on the wall, their blades gleaming softly in the light from the open door.

“That is okay, we are done here,” he said, stepping past the guard.

Roku followed closely, his tail twitching nervously.

“He saw us in there,” the tiger said quietly.

“I know. But there is no law against a familiar providing comfort. I am sure it happens all the time. There will be plenty of rumours though.”

“I am sorry I threw myself at you.”

Adan pulled Roku around the side of the building, checking quickly to ensure no one was near.

“You did not throw yourself at me. And I enjoyed you holding me down,” the mage breathed.

He pressed a quick kiss against the tiger’s maw, before pulling away.

“The people will know now…” he sighed. “But maybe that is good. I don’t want to hide you from the world Roku. But the sooner we get to Zyrel, the better.”

“I will try to restrain myself around you,” Roku said, lowering his head as his ears swivelled back.

“That is for the best. We should save the intimate touching for the bedroom.”

Adan gently raised the tiger’s chin, kissing him again.

“Do not feel ashamed though. We’re both figuring this out together. Right?”

Roku nodded, smiling slightly.

 

That night, they slept in each other’s arms again. Adan found himself sleeping better than he ever had at Zyrel, curled up in his familiar’s arms. The morning held even more surprises than the day before, however.

“I will be hearing the people?” Adan blanched as Athilan laid out a formal looking outfit.

Such was the responsibility of lords and kings alike, and he knew he was prepared for such a task. Still, today would be his first taste of power. He hoped to do Dennet proud with his judgements.

“His Majesty will be waiting for you in the throne room. Lunch will be served early, but there is no time for breakfast. Roku, you will serve as the Prince’s advisor today.”

A second outfit was set out, Athilan helping the tiger with the buttons on the clothing. Soon, Adan and Roku were hurrying toward the throne room, Adan being careful to avoid flat out running.

Adonis was waiting in the throne room, a smile on his face at the sight of his son.

“Slow down,” he said. “I was not going to start without you.”

“I really wish I knew my schedule ahead of time,” Adan said.

“Eventually you will. But it will change often enough that there will always be some surprise.”

Adonis motioned toward a pair of chairs, one sitting slightly lower than the other.

“Normally the smaller throne is for the Royal Consort. However, for now, it will belong to you.”

Nodding, Adan sat in the chair after his father had taken his own seat. A main stood behind and to the right of the king’s seat, face aged and worn.

“Prince Adan, this is my advisor, Kero. Today he is here merely for appearances. It is you and Roku who will be hearing the troubles of the people and passing judgement.”

Adan flinched slightly.

“Do you believe I am ready Father?”

Adonis nodded.

“I do. Dennet would not leave you without such skills. The question is, do you believe you are ready? Be confident today. You will lead these people one day. And you cannot do that if you lack confidence.”

Adan took a deep breath.

“Very well. Shall we begin?”

Roku stepped behind him, mirroring Kero’s position. Adonis nodded, and a pair of guards opened the doors at the end of the hall. Four men entered the hall, two of whom Adan recognised as lords. Their companions appeared to be peasants, though they were dressed rather extravagantly, as though trying to outdo each other.

“Lord Abernuth and Lord Urthil,” Roku whispered into Adan’s ear as the men approached, the mage grateful for the tiger's memory.

The four bowed when they reached the bottom step of the dais upon which the thrones sat. Adan straightened slightly, clearing his throat self-consciously. Forgetting their names was a bad sign, but he had to do this. And he had to lean on Roku for courage.

“What brings you before the court today?” he asked.

“A matter of a land dispute Your Highness,” Urthil said pompously. “My man approached me some three weeks back, claiming his sheep had been stolen by his neighbour, who lived upon Lord Abernuth’s lands. His neighbour claims the sheep were on Lord Abernuth’s lands and therefore they belonged to him.”

“Lord Abernuth, I take it you were unable to resolve your differences with Lord Urthil amicably?” Adan questioned.

“He threatened to take the land by force, so I suggested we bring the dispute here, in hopes of avoiding bloodshed.”

“I applaud your decision. Is there a marker showing where the land is separated?”

“No, Your Highness. My people have been working hard to grow food. They have been unable to mark my lands clearly,” Lord Abernuth said, a statement that seemed almost accusatory.

“I can raise men to create a wall at the edge of my land. But it will require money,” Lord Urthil said.

Roku leaned forward again, his whisper heating Adan’s ear.

“It seems likely Lord Urthil will push Lord Abernuth to give up land in this exchange. There must be some compensation.”

Adan nodded slowly.

“And these are the shepherds in question? They appear rather well dressed,” he said. “Please tell me what sheep were lost.”

He looked at the peasant on the right, young and timid in the presence of such power.

“Y-Your Gr- Your Highness… They’re both yearling yoes…” the man stammered.

Lord Urthil scowled at the man. Adan’s mind spun, trying to calculate the cost of the sheep. He came up at a loss. Zyrel’s main export was grain, not sheep.

“It seems that Lord Abernuth owes Lord Urthil gold for two lost ewes. I expect the money to be used to set up a wall between your lands. You will meet with a negotiator to determine where exactly the wall will be placed,” he said at last. “Lord Urthil, you will provide the men to create the wall, supervised by one of Lord Abernuth’s men. Dismissed.”

The men bowed, Urthil’s face a permanent scowl. They left the hall, and Adan let out a deep breath.

“You did well, though two sheep will hardly buy a wall,” Adonis said. “Are you ready for the next one?”

Adan hesitated for a moment before nodding. He felt the pinch of embarrassment. The mage had failed, no matter how the king framed it.

The door opened, and a woman entered the hall, revealing herself to be Lady Corin as she approached. She wore simple breeches and had a velvet shirt that hung just below her hips. Her body was small but muscled, and Adan found himself gazing over her torso with interest. He stopped the action as soon as he noticed it.

“Your Majesty, Your Highness,” the woman smiled, bowing.

“Lady Corin. What brings you before us today?” Adan asked.

“I have come to ask you to accept my oath of fealty, Your Highness.”

Beside the prince, Adonis started.

“Do you extend the oath to your king as well?” he asked quietly, a dangerous edge to his voice.

“Your Majesty, as I understand it, I am still bound to serve you, but not the throne. I am merely extending that service to the prince,” Lady Corni said.

Adan stared at the woman helplessly. He had no idea how to approach this. If he accepted, it could create a gulf between him and his father, one that would be seen as a threat.

“Deny it,” Roku whispered. "This would cause trouble with any ruler. With one barely known…"

“Forgive me, Lady Corin, but I cannot accept your oath. You are my father’s vassal, and it would not be right for me to take you as my vassal.”

Adonis whispered something to Kero, who nodded and stepped out of the hall as Lady Corin bowed.

“Very well. Forgive me for being presumptuous,” she said.

The woman turned and left the hall. Adan looked at his father, a grim look on Adonis’ face. He was not happy.

This chapter took too long to write. I've been fighting my fiance for the computer, but I finally have my own keyboard so I'm back to writing whenever I can.
Copyright © 2019 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 5
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Being a prince isn't as easy or carefree as one would believe. There are expectations, duties, and obligations to fulfill. Adan is finding this difficult, but he is trying his best with Roku's help.

Corin's offer of reality was dangerous. Was is genuine or a ploy to cause dissent? I find it odd she was also the one who 'found' the the threatening scroll. Too many coincidences.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Adan is finding the duties of being a prince difficult to fulfil as there are so many but he is trying with Roku's help to ensure that he fulfils them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Adan and Roku need to come to a decision on what exactly their relationship is going to be and embrace it; then Adan can move forward with perhaps finding a consort, even if it is for just the sake of begetting a heir.  

I hope that Eran will continue to be the same with Adan, now that he knows he is the Prince, but I wonder with how he acted if that will be possible.  It would be good for Adan to have someone that would accept him at face value.

Adan hearing the petitions was strange.  The first one was basic and Adan did okay.  The second with Lady Corin seemed out of place.  Really there was not enough information provided to explain what was going on fully.  The way it was written ended the chapter in confusion at least for me.

I can see all kinds of issues at the ball coming up...  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

Adan and Roku need to come to a decision on what exactly their relationship is going to be and embrace it; then Adan can move forward with perhaps finding a consort, even if it is for just the sake of begetting a heir.  

I hope that Eran will continue to be the same with Adan, now that he knows he is the Prince, but I wonder with how he acted if that will be possible.  It would be good for Adan to have someone that would accept him at face value.

Adan hearing the petitions was strange.  The first one was basic and Adan did okay.  The second with Lady Corin seemed out of place.  Really there was not enough information provided to explain what was going on fully.  The way it was written ended the chapter in confusion at least for me.

I can see all kinds of issues at the ball coming up...  

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out WTH Lady Corin was thinking. Hopefully the whole thing can be dealt with satisfactorily. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..